The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Adding Kurzweil K2000 Sounds To A 2600XS. Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Adding Kurzweil K2000 Sounds To A 2600XS.

Hey All. I’m kind of new around here. Just been lost in the Detroit Techno thread which is amazing. Anyway - reason for post. I just picked up a Kurzweil K2600 and am wondering what’s the easiest way to get the sounds from the 2000 onto it. If there are any owners out there who have done this could you let me know how to proceed. The only idea so far is to buy the sounds from one of those eBay dudes that are burning discs of them and get a scsi drive. Also, it’s not known for its easy interface.

Anyway, thanks in advance!

Last edited by Apiento; 5 days ago at 01:31 AM.. Reason: Typos
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Those ebay dudes sometimes also sell downloads. Get that and then put them on a SCSI2SD by building your own or buying a complete one here.
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioroid View Post
Those ebay dudes sometimes also sell downloads. Get that and then put them on a SCSI2SD by building your own or buying a complete one here.
Thank you. I’ll look in to that.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Here's some you can load in from floppies.
Or if you want to do them all, load in and out from a scsi zip drive or something similar.

The Complete K2000 | Sweetwater
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by felis View Post
Here's some you can load in from floppies.
Or if you want to do them all, load in and out from a scsi zip drive or something similar.

The Complete K2000 | Sweetwater
Felis you’re a don.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioroid View Post
I wanted to give my K2k a refresh last year.. did just that. Bought a SCSI2SD and spent $6 with the ebay guys and got a TON of new sounds, plus I dumped my entire old library on to the SD card.
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post
I wanted to give my K2k a refresh last year.. did just that. Bought a SCSI2SD and spent $6 with the ebay guys and got a TON of new sounds, plus I dumped my entire old library on to the SD card.
Which "eBay guys" are we talking about here?

And which version of the SCSI2SD did you get? With each new version, the price goes up, and I'm not sure which one would suffice for the K2000S that I have. For example, I know the version 6 is supposed to be faster than version 5, but is it really worth the additional $40 on a K2000S?

Steve
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

I want in on this scsi2sd business.

Having swapped the floppy drive for a usb floppy emulator was kind of a bummer since it requires usb drives to be partitioned into a hundred partitions of floppy disk size... annoying since I expected to dump all my patches onto a single huge partition with no messing around.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowsOfLife View Post
Which "eBay guys" are we talking about here?

And which version of the SCSI2SD did you get? With each new version, the price goes up, and I'm not sure which one would suffice for the K2000S that I have. For example, I know the version 6 is supposed to be faster than version 5, but is it really worth the additional $40 on a K2000S?

Steve
I went with a V5 (the 6 wasn't readily available when I bought) and got an external case from durhamcardco.

I got this one off ebay - it's down to $.99

Kurzweil K2000 K2500 K2600, K2661, PC3K8 KRZ Sound Program - Largest Library | eBay
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
I went with a V5 (the 6 wasn't readily available when I bought) and got an external case from durhamcardco.

Kurzweil K2000 K2500 K2600, K2661, PC3K8 KRZ Sound Program - Largest Library | eBay
@biggator6 - sorry but i feel a tad out of my depth already. How did you get the downloads on to the Kurzweil? I'm on a Macbook Pro. Hope its alright to ask.

Last edited by Apiento; 3 days ago at 04:16 PM.. Reason: Typossss
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apiento View Post
@biggator6 - sorry but i feel a tad out of my depth already. How did you get the downloads on to the Kurzweil? I'm on a Macbook Pro. Hope its alright to ask.
I just loaded it up on the SD card and mounted it to the K2k. Then it shows up as a drive.

The K2 has floppy, and can also access SCSI drives.. in this case, you'd just navigate to the mounted drive and load up whatever sounds into whichever banks you like (you have 800 slots to play with, if I recall).

A lot of these are sample based, so they will have to be reloaded after power off anyway.
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
I just loaded it up on the SD card and mounted it to the K2k. Then it shows up as a drive.

The K2 has floppy, and can also access SCSI drives.. in this case, you'd just navigate to the mounted drive and load up whatever sounds into whichever banks you like (you have 800 slots to play with, if I recall).

A lot of these are sample based, so they will have to be reloaded after power off anyway.
@biggator6 - Promise this is the last question haha. How do you mount it on the Kurzweil. Am trying to avoid buying a zip drive basically...
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
@biggator6 - Promise this is the last question haha. How do you mount it on the Kurzweil. Am trying to avoid buying a zip drive basically...
That's what the SCSI2SD does.. when connected, it shows up as a drive (like a zip drive).
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut

Depends on what you mean by "mount." If you mean physically, you can use an external case or use the Scsi2sd with 3.5 mounting bracket to replace the floppy drive or just stick it in the K2XXX with duct tape.

Old 2 days ago
Quote:

Ah, yes. I've seen that collection on eBay. I just didn't know how many of the sounds were for synths other than the K2000, since they wouldn't be readable by the K2000 unless you had the latest ROM (which I don't, and can't seem to get). And even then, some wouldn't be readable.

Of course, if all the sounds are made for the K2000, there wouldn't be a problem. But then you wouldn't get any of the new effects and VAST programming options the K2500, 2600 and higher would give you.

That said, when I saw this collection the last time, it was $14.99 or so. At $.99, I just bought one for me, and one for a friend!

Have you had any problems with your v5 version? I don't hear many complaints, but I'm having some power-on problems with the Kurz in general; spending another $50-$100 on it might not be a good investment.

Steve
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bftucker View Post
Depends on what you mean by "mount." If you mean physically, you can use an external case or use the Scsi2sd with 3.5 mounting bracket to replace the floppy drive or just stick it in the K2XXX with duct tape.

I thought I’d be able to use the external scsi ports. That looks ...
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I thought I’d be able to use the external scsi ports. That looks ...
You can.. here's a v5 external case.
SCSI2SD

That collection has sounds for K2000.. and also sounds specifically for higher versions that take advantage of the 2500/2600 effects, etc.
Old 2 days ago
Quote:
You can.. here's a v5 external case.
SCSI2SD

That collection has sounds for K2000.. and also sounds specifically for higher versions that take advantage of the 2500/2600 effects, etc.
Ah, okay. That's what I thought. No worries there.

Not to derail this thread, but I believe (from previous posts) you have a K2000. If so, do you know where I can get good, (preferably cheap) RAM SIMMs for it and the upgrade chip? And do you know how I can the PRAM for it? I can't find any PRAM on eBay.

Steve
Old 2 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:

Not to derail this thread, but I believe (from previous posts) you have a K2000. If so, do you know where I can get good, (preferably cheap) RAM SIMMs for it and the upgrade chip? And do you know how I can the PRAM for it? I can't find any PRAM on eBay.

Steve
I bought a K2500 rom board for what I considered a very reasonable price from
Radoslaw Kwiecien at

Buy NOW! P/RAM and ROM for Kurzweil K2000 K2500 K2600
Old 2 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by bftucker View Post
I bought a K2500 rom board for what I considered a very reasonable price from
Radoslaw Kwiecien at

Buy NOW! P/RAM and ROM for Kurzweil K2000 K2500 K2600
Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, at $85, it's more than I paid for the entire synth! (To be fair, I did get a great deal, since it wasn't working when a friend bought it, fixed the $2 part, and gave it to me for the cost of shipping. )

This does give me something to follow though, and once I get my power-on problem(s) resolved, I'll look into it.

Thanks again!

Steve
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Steve
Not sure, it's been a LONG time since i loaded mine up.. but they're a standard (circa 1990) SIMM that you should be able to get cheap on the bay once you find the proper model.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search