The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sound effect in the song Footloose. Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Sound effect in the song Footloose.

Guys I have a Kurzweil SP-5 which is the only board I use in my 80's/variety cover band. I use layering the zones to imitate many synth sounds. I also split the board a lot to cover multiple parts at the same time. It is not perfect but it usually works in the mix. I even play most arps or LFO type sounds my self.

There is a sweeping type sound at the end of the song "Footloose" during the buildup out of the bridge. I have tried pitchbending a mono sound with portamento, adding noise type effects tones, playing a scale run to represent a rise, ect... None of these options are working very well.

I feel like I need a phaser, or filter, or DJ ramp up, or something.

Any suggestions on what I should do other than buying a proper synth to do this? The effects, even by Kurzweil standards are limited on the SP-5. I am not willing to go to a another company's rompler for my bread and butter sounds.The sounds on my KURZ are very important to me. If I can't enjoy the action I like and have the piano sounds I have come to love I will not be happy.

The band is very weird about adding new gear to the keyboard setup time or taking up more space.

Thanks for any input.

Last edited by DJRAZZ; 6 days ago at 01:19 AM..
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Well I was hoping for a few pieces of input.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

I am about to go to bed. I can listen to the sound tomorrow and try to advise.

One thing off the top of my head...could you use a Synthesizer or VST in your DAW to create the sound, then mix it down to a WAV and add an Akai MPX8 to your setup to trigger that WAV live? It’s tiny, really cheap, and you could use it for triggering other signature type samples of any of them come up in the future.

The 80’s were a period of excess, so I’m kinda lolling over and 80’s cover band being precious about adding more gear by the way!
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Sounds a bit like a string section doing a crescendo. Sort of like at the end of the Beatles - A Day in the Life.

I’m really tired tho and my ears might not be working properly.
Old 5 days ago
Bill Wolfer used among other synths, an Oberheim OB-Xa, Jupiter-8, Prophet-5 and CS-80. Maybe the CS-80 with the pitch ribbon. You could use VSTs imitating a CS-80.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Thanks for the solid advise. I agree it is a bit silly that the band is like that. A lot of egos in this band though. They want things to sound right but don't want to give up precious setup time, spot light or stage space to allow me to expand or even do more physically. I am usually shoved in the back corner as it is and kept under lock and key. Plus the 80's music is for gigging purposes for the guitar section is not real jazzed about having to play 80's euro pop. As far as the suggestions? I wanna stay hardware based and live playing oriented; no timed samples or sequences. No CLICK TRACK. It sounds like a new synth or pedals. Thanks again guys.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Listened to the whole song again (even though I've herd it a thousand times before, you bastard ), and if I was playing the synth organ sound I would use the pitch bend for the small pitch changes and assign the mod wheel to pitch at one octave (in the mod matrix) for the "big" pitch sweep you are referring to.

Good luck with your band.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisewagon View Post
Listened to the whole song again (even though I've herd it a thousand times before, you bastard ), and if I was playing the synth organ sound I would use the pitch bend for the small pitch changes and assign the mod wheel to pitch at one octave (in the mod matrix) for the "big" pitch sweep you are referring to.

Good luck with your band.
Thank-you, I was thinking the same thing.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

I love the thought that someone, somewhere, is trying to recreate the finer details of a sound effect from Footloose.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Bird View Post
Bill Wolfer used among other synths, an Oberheim OB-Xa, Jupiter-8, Prophet-5 and CS-80. Maybe the CS-80 with the pitch ribbon. You could use VSTs imitating a CS-80.
I think you’re onto something there...
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Oh, and when you assign the pitch to the mod wheel (for the big sweep), see if your synth can also assign reverb time and mix to the controller (mod wheel in this case) too. That way, when you push the wheel all the way up, it will have a long noticeable wet reverb tail.... just like the song has.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Bird View Post
I don't think Bill Wolfer was involved in that song. Afaik Michael Boddicker did the synth work.
Old 1 day ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikael488 View Post
I don't think Bill Wolfer was involved in that song. Afaik Michael Boddicker did the synth work.
Probably Jupiter-8 or similar with the poly portamento. That could be it, right?
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

I think it was done with a pitch bender, not poly portamento. Maybe.... there are quite a few layers in that part and getting them all to bend equally would have been tricky unless they used MIDI, which was still in its infancy back then.

I think they might have recorded the sustained notes on a multi track tape and then sped the tape up to create the pitch bend upwards, and tweaked the effects sends at the same time to get the reverb to do what it did.

Update: Just listened to that part again, and each part seems to pitch upward differently, so it was probably pitch bends applied to each synth part individually.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Thanks to everyone. I am gonna try a pitchbend 4 tone patch.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRAZZ View Post
Well I was hoping for a few pieces of input.
If you could post the actual song - a Youtube video with a timestamp works great because it removes almost all ambiguity about what you're supposed to hear and when - it's likely that you get more advice.

You're talking about the part at 2:48, right? The source seems to be a bunch of stacked sinewaves with some chorus on top of it rising in pitch. I don't know how deep the synthesis part on your SP-5 is, but in the worst case (i.e. you don't get many tools to change the sound in-depth) I'd just use the KB-3 organ model, chorus on, open the 16' and 2' drawbars and set the pitchbender to 24 notes, then bend up.

...and hope that the KB3-model supports pitch-bend in the first place of course
Old 23 hours ago
Lives for gear
Sounds to me like a simple synth sound with an Eventide 910 / 949 pitch shifting it up with a feedback loop engaged.

This comes from an owner of a 910 & 949
Old 6 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
If you could post the actual song - a Youtube video with a timestamp works great because it removes almost all ambiguity about what you're supposed to hear and when - it's likely that you get more advice.

You're talking about the part at 2:48, right? The source seems to be a bunch of stacked sinewaves with some chorus on top of it rising in pitch. I don't know how deep the synthesis part on your SP-5 is, but in the worst case (i.e. you don't get many tools to change the sound in-depth) I'd just use the KB-3 organ model, chorus on, open the 16' and 2' drawbars and set the pitchbender to 24 notes, then bend up.

...and hope that the KB3-model supports pitch-bend in the first place of course
Get more advice? Like we never hard that song? Dude, the bend is the same synth organ that's used throughout the song, and it is only a one octave rise in pitch.
Old 2 hours ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisewagon View Post
Get more advice?
Yes, after initially posting it and not getting any replies.

Quote:
Like we never hard that song?
That's not it - besides the fact that this is not necessarily a safe assumption to make. What might've been a one hit wonder played to hell and back in the US may have not even been a blip in the EU and vice-versa.

If someone wants help figuring out a sound in track, they should post the track. That's really not too much to ask for. Help the people who are willing to help you. It doesn't cost much time or effort, removes ambiguity and works nicely as a reference for anyone with similar issues.

Quote:
Dude, the bend is the same synth organ that's used throughout the song, and it is only a one octave rise in pitch.
I'm hearing it go up a bit more than that, but I'm willing to concede the point.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search