The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
CS80- Jupiter8 - THE oNE
Old 6th November 2018
Lives for gear
CS80- Jupiter8 - THE oNE

I know this has been done before but I'm curious to know now that the ONE is in peoples hands, and The River soon to hit, how the top 3 rankings for best analog poly Synth of all time would look like presently, does the ONE even make the top 3. To help with discussion below are some choices but not limited to:

- Oberheim Xa or any other OBie you might like
- Roland Jupiter 8, or any Juno series
- Studio Electronics CODE or Omega
- Moog Memory Moog or Moog One
- Yamaha CS80
- Prophet 5 or any other Sequential or DSI analog you may like
- Schmidt synth
- The River
- Modal 008
- Alesis Andromeda
- Jomox Sunsyn
Old 6th November 2018
Gear Addict

Personally, I dont think this question works as there is no one synth best at all what one would need or would like to use. Also, its not only about functions but also sound, and for some, like me, sound is more important than features. But to answer the topics question from my perspective, the Moog One is not in the top three for sound, feature-wise it might be, next to Andromeda.

My favourites:

1. CS-80
Obvious choice as a Vangelis nut

2. Prophet 5 rev.3 (yes rev.3)
Yes, only 5 voices, but the warm/brilliant sound, brutal unison funk basses and the filter sound.

3. Jupiter 8
12 dB pads, multitimbral, features, one for all synth

4. Minimoog
Thank god theres the Boog now...

All of these are a dream. Jupiter 4 is very nice, too, because of the arp, chorus and unison. Wild 70s sound, unique like nothing else.

All of this just from a pure sound perspective. I dont care for features much, thats what Id use the computer for.
Old 6th November 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by el-folie View Post
Personally, I dont think this question works as there is no one synth best at all what one would need or would like to use. Also, its not only about functions but also sound, and for some, like me, sound is more important than features. But to answer the topics question from my perspective, the Moog One is not in the top three for sound, feature-wise it might be, next to Andromeda.

My favourites:

1. CS-80
Obvious choice as a Vangelis nut

2. Prophet 5 rev.3 (yes rev.3)
Yes, only 5 voices, but the warm/brilliant sound, brutal unison funk basses and the filter sound.

3. Jupiter 8
12 dB pads, multitimbral, features, one for all synth

4. Minimoog
Thank god theres the Boog now...

All of these are a dream. Jupiter 4 is very nice, too, because of the arp, chorus and unison. Wild 70s sound, unique like nothing else.

All of this just from a pure sound perspective. I dont care for features much, thats what Id use the computer for.
Yeah you’re right this is a very subjective thing but that’s what I’m looking for peoples personal preference- no absolutes just a consensus-
Old 6th November 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenstino View Post
Yeah you’re right this is a very subjective thing but that’s what I’m looking for peoples personal preference- no absolutes just a consensus-
Got it Besides, from a features perspective one could even actually come to resulting absolutes. From a sound perspective a totally subjective thing though. Even if two people describe their favourite sounds and the words match identically, still the actual sounds they describe could be totally different as human ears perception differs so much. Also they way the brain focuses on sound, how it learned sound and so forth, all too different.

There are sweetspot synths of course where people have a consensus about sound/feature balance, but as true gearslut you will know em all already...
Old 6th November 2018
Gear Maniac

The Synthex, of course (this multimode filter..)
Old 6th November 2018
Deleted b6e9904
Would the Sunsyn be up there?
Old 6th November 2018
Gear Maniac

Jupiter 8 will always be king to me. Even better, when it inevitably breaks and needs repair it’ll be the coolest looking one of the bunch.
Old 6th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pewtershmit View Post
Jupiter 8 will always be king to me. Even better, when it inevitably breaks and needs repair it’ll be the coolest looking one of the bunch.
my jupiter 8 had already 2 leaking flux capacitors and 5 times faded notes ..
Must be in the service every year ..
if an old synth is unproblematic, then the ...

to the selection list .. why is the deepmind not there .. if the oNe is there ..

the cs 80 is certainly quite nice .. could have bought one for 5k .. unfortunately he looks like a home organ
Old 6th November 2018
Lives for gear

For me, right now, the best analog synth of all time is the Korg Prologue 16. It's the only one that's in my house and that I can play on a regular basis. You know what they say, "A synth in the studio is worth two on ebay," or something like that. It does help that it's a quite capable musical instrument, though of course not without its limitations and weaknesses.

(I would have to agree that the Jupiter 8 is probably the coolest looking one of the bunch.)
Old 6th November 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by pppch View Post
my jupiter 8 had already 2 leaking flux capacitors and 5 times faded notes ..
Must be in the service every year ..
if an old synth is unproblematic, then the ...

to the selection list .. why is the deepmind not there .. if the oNe is there ..

the cs 80 is certainly quite nice .. could have bought one for 5k .. unfortunately he looks like a home organ
the deepmind was not intentionally left out..not sure if you caught what i said in the thread start which was- here's a few choices but "not limited to".. I just listed the most popular off the top of my head but hey if you think the Deepmind or anything else i failed to mention would make your top 3 analog poly synth of all time would love to hear your thoughts on why...
Old 6th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenstino View Post
the deepmind was not intentionally left out..not sure if you caught what i said in the thread start which was- here's a few choices but "not limited to".. I just listed the most popular off the top of my head but hey if you think the Deepmind or anything else i failed to mention would make your top 3 analog poly synth of all time would love to hear your thoughts on why...
jupiter 8 because that was my 2nd synth that I bought and bought that for a sandwich, and after that 1000 people passed by and did not want it ..
that was a music house liquidation..in the good old VST VA is better time

sonically I have modified it .. and the sweetspot area is just huge ...
in a way stupid as a juno .. but what he does he does very neat ..that this is not misunderstood .. i like my stupid juno 60 and mks7 just like that
jp8 is built like a tank

JP6 with Europa

Logan Stringmelody II
Old 6th November 2018
Lives for gear

My top 5 based on sound not features:

Korg PS 3xxx
Jupiter 4
Prophet 5/10
Jupiter 8
Yamaha PS-20
Old 6th November 2018
Lives for gear

Rhodes Chroma is up there in my top polys along with the Korg PS series, Jupiter-4 and 8, CS-80, and Prophet 5
Old 6th November 2018
Lives for gear

No budget I'll take the following:

Polys:
Jupiter 8
Prophet 5
Moog One

Monos:
Model D
MS-20M
TB-303

The rest I will do ITB.

I have no interest in a CS-80, Sunsyn, Modals, etc. as they don't interest me or don't fit my sound.
Old 7th November 2018
Lives for gear

I notice no one here in this thread mentioned the Matrixbrute and have read in other threads many did not like the core sound of it, features aside. At the end, it is the sound that matters regardless of features. I'm going to watch a few Youtube vids on the Matrixbrute and decide for myself whether or not I actually "like" the sound of it. So far I've been fascinated by that synth mostly because of it's features and interface moreso than it's sound, although I did like some sound effects someone was able to generate with it. However, I shouldn't judge the overall tone of a synth based on scifi sound effects alone. Any synth can do that (in it's own way, of course).

I will say I do like the sound of the Prophet 6 and OB 6 moreso than the Prophet REV2 based on what I've heard, even though they are more limited featurewise.

If you want the holy - grail polysynth, be prepared to spend way more than $3K. However, I think either of the two flagship VCO synths from DSI as well as the Korg Prologue are the best sounding modern polysynths currently on the market that you can get for under $3k at THIS point in time.

As far as vintage goes, I'll just leave that to the collectors and those who don't mind dealing with maintenance and reliability issues associated with vintage synths. BTW, I did have an A6 Andromeda for a short time and it did sound very nice (although I can't say I cared for the interface). With that said, I would now consider the Andromeda as "Vintage" because you can't get it new anymore and you can't get spare parts for it anymore either. The A6 was very innovative considering the fact it came out almost 20 years ago!!! It looks like the new Moog One is the first synth to actually catch up with it, yet it's entry level price is TWICE what the Andromeda was. Then again, we're talking 20 years apart too so the A6 at $3K in the year 2000 might be pretty close to $6K in 2018 dollars when adjusted for inflation. So, basically what I'm trying to say now is the Moog One is pretty close to the Andromeda A6 in both features and price.

Last edited by kvmoore; 7th November 2018 at 08:31 AM..
Old 7th November 2018
Lives for gear

Missing from the list:

Old 7th November 2018
Deleted b6e9904
Quote:
Originally Posted by intuitionnyc View Post
No budget I'll take the following:

Polys:
Jupiter 8
Prophet 5
Moog One

Monos:
Model D
MS-20M
TB-303

The rest I will do ITB.

I have no interest in a CS-80, Sunsyn, Modals, etc. as they don't interest me or don't fit my sound.
Haha, I love this game. If I was living fantasy land, I’d have, for my polys:

Korg PS3300
MemoryMoog
Roland RS505

And mono’s:

Roland SH-5
A TB-303 as well
Korg MS-50

Yeah, they’d go well in my studio they would. About 50k worth of gear there,

I really wish I’d known a few years ago that I really wanted the RS-505 when you could still get them for a few hundred. I’ve seen them go for £3k plus recently. Naaah!
Old 7th November 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I really wish I’d known a few years ago that I really wanted the RS-505 when you could still get them for a few hundred
Please Mr Roland, reissue a paraphonic synth (strings, choir.., like the RS-505 or Yamaha SK30), with an analog Ensemble. They are so unique and invaluable
Old 7th November 2018
Gear Head

But what about the Korg Trident? Also, No mention of the OB-X yet. The king of organic polys.
Old 7th November 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvmoore View Post
Then again, we're talking 20 years apart too so the A6 at $3K in the year 2000 might be pretty close to $6K in 2018 dollars when adjusted for inflation.
$4398 to be exact.
Old 7th November 2018
Lives for gear

I prefer to take such surveys from a personal perspective rather than that of a reviewer trying to determine the greatest poly as objectively as possible.

With that said, I'm hoping The River will be the one for me. But I've yet to play one.

In the meantime, the Prophet-10 still holds the number one spot for me. Despite not having velocity sensitivity, aftertouch, or other basic features commonplace on synths today, it has a sound which isn't commonplace at all. It's massive. Positively massive.

The notion of stacking two Rev 3 Prophet-5s in a single case and attaching a double manual keyboard is, for me at least, as over-the-top now as it was back in 1980 when it was first released.

There's nothing like it on the market today.
Old 7th November 2018
I'll only comment on modern gear that I've personally considered buying (except for the Schmidt $$$$$!):

1. Baloran The River.
2. Studio Electronics' CODE/Omega 8.
3. Schimdt Synthesizer.
4. Deckard's Dream.
5. Roland System-8 (ACB).

Of the vintage synths I've never played:

1. Yamaha CS80.
2. Roland Jupiter-8.
3. Oberheim OB-X.

I think The River is the synth which produces the sounds which many of us have been searching for, and encompasses 90% of the vibe which we covet from vintage gear, but with modern conveniences. I've played Deckard's Dream, and although the demo clips sound amazing, it sounds somewhat thin in person; perhaps with effects it's a different story.

From YouTube videos, Studio Electronics' CODE/Omega 8 sounds very close to the famed vintage polys of the past and is probably the best state-side solution for that sound. For what it is, I think the System-8 is amazing, and even with all of my analog gear, I still want one.
Old 7th November 2018
Gear Addict

Anything can have "features". Even a free soft synth. Features are only important after the basic sound quality is nailed.

As you've started this thread mainly because of the Moog One's release, I personally feel, as someone to whom sound is everything in things that create music, that the Moog One wouldn't even be in the (my) top 10 let alone top 3. I don't just not like the tone, I dislike the tone. There's only been a handful of synths through time that I've actively disliked hearing and Moog One joins that small list. No thanks.

As for greatest? Too hard to say. Definitely vintage VCO polys (before ~1984) of some description though.
Old 7th November 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBDA1176 View Post
As you've started this thread mainly because of the Moog One's release, I personally feel, as someone to whom sound is everything in things that create music, that the Moog One wouldn't even be in the (my) top 10 let alone top 3. I don't just not like the tone, I dislike the tone.
I've been A/B'ing the two best Moog One demo videos and my Moog Slim Phatty polychain experiment I posted here. Even when directly recorded, all the Moog One's patches sound muffled—literally, as if there's a blanket over its monitors (but it's recorded via line-in). The voices sound crowded, and everything sounds muted and noisy. I can't quite figure out why that is. Perhaps it's the recent FX-chain issue being discussed. I hear moments of cool stuff, but the overall sonic quality is oddly hampered.
Old 7th November 2018
Lives for gear

Sound - CS 80, best analogue synth of all times

Features/interfaceMoog One, best analogue synth of all times

Price/Value
DeepMind 6, best analogue synth of all times

End thread …
Old 7th November 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio460 View Post
I've been A/B'ing the two best Moog One demo videos and my Moog Slim Phatty polychain experiment I posted here. Even when directly recorded, all the Moog One's patches sound muffled—literally, as if there's a blanket over its monitors (but it's recorded via line-in). The voices sound crowded, and everything sounds muted and noisy/scratchy. I can't quite figure out why that is. Perhaps it's the recent FX-chain issue being discussed. I hear moments of cool stuff, but the overall sonic quality is oddly hampered.
I don't know what it is, or if it's a number of small issues built up to make it sound bad, but I do know I don't like it.

Moog One owners will attempt to tell us it's everything's fault but the Moog one though. Gonna need a new facepalm icon with the Moog logo on it soon!
Old 7th November 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBDA1176 View Post
I don't know what it is, or if it's a number of small issues built up to make it sound bad, but I do know I don't like it.
Yes, probably. I suspect it's got something to do with the gain-staging/FX-chain issues, as the complaints about that now are pretty explicit (e.g., shaves off high-end, etc.).

I still think it's a very cool instrument and I hope they get these issues sorted out. I really wouldn't mind having one if the gain-staging/FX issues can be resolved (and we can hear the true voices' sounds).
Old 7th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio460 View Post
I still think it's a very cool instrument and I hope they get these issues sorted out.
I hope they do as well. It's been painful to watch--like a train wreck in slow motion.
Old 7th November 2018
Lives for gear
Are people basing their lists on youtubeS? lol this is the problem with the synth world today

And why no GX1??!?

and DSI does not = Sequential Circuits!!!
Old 7th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pppch View Post
that was a music house liquidation..in the good old VST VA is better time
Ah, those were the days! That's how I got my Jupiter-4 for 600 marks (about €300).

Everyone wanted pheatures.

Pheatures ruled.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search