The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
CS80- Jupiter8 - THE oNE
Old 13th November 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingMusician View Post
Here's my poly rack. The Juno is in the same class IMO. Each of these synths hold their own doing things the others can't:
i'm very jealous great rack
Old 13th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio460 View Post
I think you're onto something here! I hear similar harmonics "stepping" through the filter as I turn the cutoff knob on my Moog Little Phatty, and these encoders claim 14-bit resolution (16,384 "steps") available in discrete NRPN values. Someone correct me if I have this wrong.

This harmonic "stepping" sounds quite musical and "spectral" to my ears.
On the P6, it's quantised so you can tune the filter to musical notes.

Check it out here YouTube and here
Old 13th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think you're onto something here! I hear similar harmonics "stepping" through the filter as I turn the cutoff knob on my Moog Little Phatty, and these encoders claim 14-bit resolution (16,384 "steps") available in discrete NRPN values. Someone correct me if I have this wrong.

This harmonic "stepping" sounds quite musical and "spectral" to my ears.
Are you sure it is not just the resonance going through peaks in oscillator frequency spectrum ?
Old 13th November 2018
Quote:
Each of these synths hold their own doing things the others can't
i agree, except that Jup8 and P5 can do several orders of magnitude more while at it.

fwiw i had Juno60 (twice) and sold it but kept Jup8 and P5. nowadays i sometimes play a friend's unit. and its always the same thing: when i start it up i am bedazzled and enjoying it to no end, yet it gradually gets boring.

however, to contradict, this happened mostly in context of jamming and tweaking. its way more interesting when used as a workhorse analog within actual track/production. it used to be economic option too, but not anymore. its crazy overpriced.

also i am not enamored with its mid-soupey chorus. i know it has many fans, but i find roland/boss/ehx choruses from pedals and racks substantially better.. ce1, ce2, ce300, polychorus etc, and my favorite.. boss dm300. actually, often i preferred Juno 60 without the chorus for cutting focused bass and bright silky pwm arpeggios, or with an external one where i could dose wet dry to be less obvious for subtle animation while retaining that wonderful top end Ju60 has.
Old 13th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
i agree, except that Jup8 and P5 can do several orders of magnitude more while at it.

fwiw i had Juno60 (twice) and sold it but kept Jup8 and P5. nowadays i sometimes play a friend's unit. and its always the same thing: when i start it up i am bedazzled and enjoying it to no end, yet it gradually gets boring.

however, to contradict, this happened mostly in context of jamming and tweaking. its way more interesting when used as a workhorse analog within actual track/production. it used to be economic option too, but not anymore. its crazy overpriced.

also i am not enamored with its mid-soupey chorus. i know it has many fans, but i find roland/boss/ehx choruses from pedals and racks substantially better.. ce1, ce2, ce300, polychorus etc, and my favorite.. boss dm300. actually, often i preferred Juno 60 without the chorus for cutting focused bass and bright silky pwm arpeggios, or with an external one where i could dose wet dry to be less obvious for subtle animation while retaining that wonderful top end Ju60 has.
Yep, I have CE-1,CE-2 & CE-3 in various Roland/Boss gear (7 in total) and prefer them all to the Juno chorus. It's matched perfectly to the synth but otherwise not so special. The Jazz Chorus being the most impressive (1 speaker wet, 1 dry.) in the room but least practical overall.
Old 13th November 2018
Lives for gear

I wonder if anyone has done a chorus mix/level mod to the 6/60/106?
Old 13th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Here's my poly rack. The Juno is in the same class IMO. Each of these synths hold their own doing things the others can't:
I feel you! J60 and JP8 have a lot in common. the filter design is the same. i will never sell the J60 just as fervently as the JP8! ;D

roland_filter_versions
Old 13th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
WAANNNT a P5. P1 is on every song i have written since 2009. about 700...
Old 13th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
You skipped some numbers.

What’s 4 and 5 .??

Fairchild L and Fairchild R?
Old 13th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
This is exactly where the Jupiter-4 shines, it's both a more interesting architecture than the Juno 60 and has a brilliant top end where it doesn't need the chorus at all to shine and add movement, but still cutting sharp envelopes. I still like the Junos for providing non dominant roles and do those floating mysterious strings in the back but you can't really ask a lot of variety from them. However a Juno-6/60 with the Tubbutec upgrade is still a very serious all-rounder too.
Old 13th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoy View Post
This is exactly where the Jupiter-4 shines, it's both a more interesting architecture than the Juno 60 and has a brilliant top end where it doesn't need the chorus at all to shine and add movement, but still cutting sharp envelopes. I still like the Junos for providing non dominant roles and do those floating mysterious strings in the back but you can't really ask a lot of variety from them. However a Juno-6/60 with the Tubbutec upgrade is still a very serious all-rounder too.
I find that the promars still more interesting.
Old 13th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
The room and group color palette is so organic and primary, just synth design magic, like they all belong together. Strat too!

Let’s all repost this pic please (I can’t stop gawking at any P5 pic I see, wicked)!
Old 23rd March 2019
Gear Head

I've played most of these, and I still own most of them. (I say this because I wouldn't comment otherwise).

Factors to Consider:

-What else do you have? What sonic holes are you looking to fill. As someone pointed out. No one synth does it all. Some do more than others.

-Your Budget?

-Do you have a tech nearby, and/or are you technical yourself? If you don't have a GOOD tech nearby then I'd rule out some of the vintage synths, esp the CS-80. MemMoog's and OBX's are also fragile. The P5 is particularly hard to fix according to some techs. The Andromeda is REALLY hard to fix because I don't think it's "through the hole...," but I'm not a technical guy, so I want to be careful not to mislead you here. But, I've heard it can be very hard to fix.

-OBX...an incredible synth. I've owned one for years. IMHO, it's the best of all the OB Poly's - better than the OBX-A and the OB8. It has a subtlety the others just don't have - maybe because it's discrete. A Magic if you will. Ltd Mod capability. Incredible Pad Machine...and great for certain leads. To prove my point (for me), I owned an OB8 for over 10 years. Sold it. I owned an Xpander. Sold it. But, I won't sell the OBX. 4 Voices are another discussion altogether. They're great, but I wouldn't get one given what I think you're looking for.

Jupiter 8: I had a MINT one for 10 years. Sold it. Next to the MemMoog and the OBX, I never ended up using it. Not enough character for my taste. Too clinical sounding. I prefer the Jp4. For pads, there are lots of others I'd take over the Jp8. If you want something that, to me, is in the same vane as a Jp8, but that sounds much better, then I'd get a Synthex. Nicer/ballsier Sounding IMHO, more flex and actually less money (of which I never thought I'd say that. : ) My only regret in selling my Jp8 is that it was in Minty Minty out-of-the-box shape, so I miss it for its Historical Significance, not its musicality. The Jp4 gives you the best of the Jp8 for much less money (the snappy envelopes), more character...and then get a better pad machine (OBX, Synthex, CS80, P5, Trident, etc...)

-The Schmidt: I really wanted to buy one. I tried it. I don't have hours on it. Just 30 minutes in a quiet setting. The problem for me is 2 fold. They won't release the schematics...so they don't have someone in North America that can fix it. There's no way I'm buying a $20K synth that I'd have to ship back to Germany for repair. Also, sadly, while it's INCREDIBLY capable from a mod standpoint, etc...the sound just didn't grab me. A bit clinical sounding, and no detune knob...so it ended up sounding a bit digital to me, which is fine. But, then $20K is a lot for a digital machine that would be hard to fix. If they released the schematics, and it were a bit "spacier" sounding, I'd get one.

-CS-80. Envelopes are slow. Hard to fix. Has obsolete parts in it. But, if money is no object, it's one of the God's of the Synth World. I Love mine. Nothing sounds quite like it - esp if you're a "player." I'm going to lay a track on mine today. A joy to use - and easy to use. Subtle in ways I can't even describe. God created the Earth in 7 Days. On the Eighth day, he gave Yamaha the specs to build a CS80. (Bad joke...but that's how cool this synth is...)

-Prophet 5. A Great Synth. I Love it. They've gotten really expensive. Hmmmm...tough one. I have a Rev 2. I had a Rev 3. If you get one, get the Rev 3. The slightly better sounding filter on the Rev 2 isn't worth the negatives of the Rev 2. Given the cost of them now, I'd probably buy a Moog One.

Andromeda: Amazing Synth. Tons of capability. They sound Amazing...I mean really Amazing. But, they have a Terrible OS, and they're very hard to repair. So sad about the OS, because the synth is ssssooooooo good. I love the Red noise on it. Tuck it in under a beautiful pad and you have the end of the world. Also, the only other Analog Poly I know of (Other than the Moog One), which has a LP Filter and a Multi-Mode together. This comes in really, really useful in blending together different sounds/oscillators/waves, etc. It's such a great tool. The Quantum offers it as well - although the two analog filters are only avail in LP, which is kinda sad. The third filter is digital, but it sounds great.

MemMoog: Vintage to the core. Can be trippy and organic if you like - or can sound like an 80's pad machine. Envelopes are reasonably quick on it. Bass is...well Moog. Amazing. Leads...Amazing. People say it can be too big and/or take up too much room in the track. Well, to these people I say, you don't have to use all 3 oscillators all the time, and you don't have to turn up the volume on every oscillator and the final output to 10. It took me 20 years to figure this out! (I'm a bit slow). If you don what I'm suggesting here, the subtleties come out in ways you never imagined. (This applies to all the synths here...and doing this has helped my sound design, which isn't great to begin with, in some really great ways...).

Synthex: Amazing Synth...As mentioned. Lots of balls. Amazing Pads. Solid Mod Capability. Quick Envelopes...Of all the vintage Poly's. It has the most Flex in that it does everything well. Leads, pads, bass, you get the great multimode filter...Not as good at pads as, say the CS80, if you want Sonic Drippy Cosmic Lose Your Mindness, but the best all-around. If Andromeda had a better OS, it would (probably) be my first choice.

-River, Jomox, Modal 008, SE/Omega: Haven't Played.

-Moog One. I've had an hour on it. The internet doesn't do it justice. Fantastic Synth. They shipped it too early FOR SURE. Hopefully, they'll get the bugs worked out, but it would be my first choice - although i haven't A/B'd it in the room next to some of the other synths mentioned above. But, my feeling is that it sounded as good as any of the synths mentioned on this page, with the exception of the CS80, which kind of has its own thing going.

***UPDATE***
I did a brief side-by-side A/B between the MemMoog Plus and the Moog One. To be deeply honest, The One did not sound as good. It just didn't. It didn't have the Organic, Silky, Blow-Your-Mind Sonic Gummy Bears that the MM has. It sounded great. It just didn't sound quite as good as the MM. It sounded a bit brighter, and a bit more "contained" and tighter. Having said that, The One does sound great, and it has a lot more modulation capability than the MM does. If I were going to own one, I'd still own the Moog One because it's stable, has a warranty and offers a lot more Mod Capability - 48 Osc's on the One versus 18 Osc's on the MM. Multi-Mode and LP on the One versus just a LP on the MM. Way more Mod Capability on the One. Multi-Timbral on the One - which allows for such incredible sound design/layering. Honestly, The One is so great. I can't say enough about it - once they get all the kinks worked out mind you. It just didn't beat the MM in raw, organic sound.

Here would be my rec...

-Moog One (Crazy mod capability, great sounding, warranty : )
-Trident (to compliment it...great 8 voice vintage analog pads at a great price)

If $ is no object, you have a tech and you want to die having owned some of the great vintage poly's, I'd Go in order:

1) Synthex (Does it all very well).

2) CS-80 (but you need an analog mono to compliment because the CS80 is a bit limiting IMHO due to slow envelopes, etc). A Jp4 or a Korg Mono/Poly would be a great pairing from a Mono Standpoint. The Moog One would be a great Poly Partner...or a synthex/MemMoog, P5...). The CS80 really excels at trippy, slow strings/pads. It's not a good synth if your dream is to recreate the sound on Jump. : o

3) Andromeda (Does it all very well, but can be frustrating due to ****ty OS).

4) OBX/MemMoog (both are great...tough pick...).

5) Trident (This synth just sounds amazing and is much cheaper than the others. Blending the other sounds in (strings, etc) is so magical. Incredible sounding filters. Only neg is that it has very ltd modulation capability, so if you want lots of that, then this isn't the right synth if you're only going to get one).

6) Prophet 5 - Great synth...I wouldn't sell mine. I just wouldn't put it above the OBX or the MemMoog if I were only getting one analog poly. It's a great second synth.

7) Jupiter 8 (Not worth the money IMHO...get the jp4 and pair it with one of the above synths. I'm not trying to offend anyone, I know lots of people love the Jp8, but if you put it next to a Synthex, MemMoog or P5, it just never held its own in mine and my buddies' opinion...and we A/B'd it many times. Side by side. No bull. No voodoo. Just a good 'ol fashioned comparison. But, it's very personal. For example, if you love 80's music, and you just want what Howard Jones played then get a Jp8. So, whatever moves you moves you. It's just my opinion.

Good Luck...

Last edited by ccme; 23rd March 2019 at 08:28 PM.. Reason: add something
Old 23rd March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenstino View Post
I know this has been done before but I'm curious to know now that the ONE is in peoples hands, and The River soon to hit, how the top 3 rankings for best analog poly Synth of all time would look like presently, does the ONE even make the top 3. To help with discussion below are some choices but not limited to:

- Oberheim Xa or any other OBie you might like
- Roland Jupiter 8, or any Juno series
- Studio Electronics CODE or Omega
- Moog Memory Moog or Moog One
- Yamaha CS80
- Prophet 5 or any other Sequential or DSI analog you may like
- Schmidt synth
- The River
- Modal 008
- Alesis Andromeda
- Jomox Sunsyn
Why is there no Oberheim Xpander or Matrix 12 ?
I'd take over the Obie or Xa any day of the week.
That said if I was buying "new" and looking for a poly it would be a choice between the Moog One, Rev2, SE Code, 16 Voice Prologue, P12 or a Prophet X.

On that list though - River, One, SE Code/Omega, Model, DSI would be my only choices.
Old 23rd March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
blasphemy .. to replace the aluminum sides with wood ..
instead of acting technoid, he is now homey
Old 23rd March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pppch View Post
I find that the promars still more interesting.
The Promars is a great synth! With CV access to its filter, pitch and LFO settings, you can do some outrageous modulations on it.

I'm considering having mine modified to gain full access to that second VCO (instead of having it only mirror whatever settings are used for the main VCO).
Old 23rd March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
The Promars is a great synth! With CV access to its filter, pitch and LFO settings, you can do some outrageous modulations on it.

I'm considering having mine modified to gain full access to that second VCO (instead of having it only mirror whatever settings are used for the main VCO).
I already had x possibilities to buy a promars, but I always find it too expensive ... 1k + and then revise rebuild.
from the filters, the fattest roland ota synth
but if i really want the earliest roland i will take the sh1000
Old 23rd March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pppch View Post
I already had x possibilities to buy a promars, but I always find it too expensive ... 1k + and then revise rebuild.
from the filters, the fattest roland ota synth
but if i really want the earliest roland i will take the sh1000
It's true, they've become expensive. I paid a lot less for mine.

I installed half of covariance's MIDI IO kit for the Jupiter-4, giving it 64 patch memory slots, all of which can be tweaked in real-time and recorded as MIDI CC.

As for an SH-1000, I'd like one of those too, but I'm officially retired from the vintage synth business. I will maintain the ones I have, but I don't plan on buying more.
Old 23rd March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
It's true, they've become expensive. I paid a lot less for mine.

I installed half of covariance's MIDI IO kit for the Jupiter-4, giving it 64 patch memory slots, all of which can be tweaked in real-time and recorded as MIDI CC.

As for an SH-1000, I'd like one of those too, but I'm officially retired from the vintage synth business. I will maintain the ones I have, but I don't plan on buying more.
I buy vintage only if it is a bargain .. the rs-09 for 290.- last ..
I bought almost all my vintage stuff 20 years ago.
find nowadays a minibrute 2s or a medusa much more interesting .. you can not find so in vintage

to the sh1000
totally underrated synth .. with very own filter (30db)
what fascinates me is the quality from early roland gear .. mine is original it has not been done since the 70s .. and working properly .. japanese
Old 23rd March 2019
Lives for gear

Ahem... short memory, gang?

Old 23rd March 2019
Lives for gear

Tom said a pair beats one of a kind...
Attached Thumbnails
CS80- Jupiter8 - THE oNE-tom-oberheim-ob-6-6.jpg  
Old 24th March 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenstino View Post
i'm very jealous great rack
The only rack I have at my disposal is my girlfriend's rack. It is great looking rack but it only produces a soft moaning when tweaking the buttons. I guess it is better than nothing.
Old 25th March 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccme View Post
-The Schmidt: I really wanted to buy one. I tried it. I don't have hours on it. Just 30 minutes in a quiet setting. The problem for me is 2 fold. They won't release the schematics...so they don't have someone in North America that can fix it. There's no way I'm buying a $20K synth that I'd have to ship back to Germany for repair. Also, sadly, while it's INCREDIBLY capable from a mod standpoint, etc...the sound just didn't grab me. A bit clinical sounding, and no detune knob...so it ended up sounding a bit digital to me, which is fine. But, then $20K is a lot for a digital machine that would be hard to fix. If they released the schematics, and it were a bit "spacier" sounding, I'd get one.
I believe Jareth Lackey (synthpro) is now certified to work on them, so you'd have to ship to Alabama, but that's easier than Germany for most of the continental US.

It was so great to have „Synthpro“... - Schmidt Synthesizer | Facebook

I was kinda hyped for either a One or a Schmidt, but my Quantum has me questioning the direction I'd like to go in another analog poly.
Old 25th March 2019
Lives for gear

I don't think the list of the greatest has changes much in 4 decades. To me Roland will always be the king of the 80's with the one exception of the DX7. But Sequential and Oberheim were huge as well with the famous acts...And of course Moog for monos. So again not much has changed.
Old 25th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Bouhalassa View Post
Ahem... short memory, gang?

I mentioned about 6 post above you asking what it had been ignored.
Old 26th March 2019
Gear Addict

The cure for my GAS would be the following 5 synths. CS80, Jupiter 8, memory moog, Alesis andromeda, Waldorf quantum. With this list all the bases are covered. I’m very happy to own 2/5 memory moog, andromeda. I’m working on number 3 the quantum.
Old 26th March 2019
Gear Nut

Behringer should clone the CS80 too. would be very nice.
then you'll get a smaller CS80 with Midi/USB and there's no need for a gigantic original one without midi anymore!
think about it^^
Old 26th March 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
the P6's SEM-inspired filter is very smooth and also very nice.
The OB-6 is SEM-based and the P6 SSM-based.
Old 27th March 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyS1 View Post
I believe Jareth Lackey (synthpro) is now certified to work on them, so you'd have to ship to Alabama, but that's easier than Germany for most of the continental US.

It was so great to have „Synthpro“... - Schmidt Synthesizer | Facebook

I was kinda hyped for either a One or a Schmidt, but my Quantum has me questioning the direction I'd like to go in another analog poly.
Thx for sharing this!

I have the Quantum as well. Fantastic Synth. I also have an original PPG Wave, and I'd take the Quantum all day long. The original has its charms, but the Quantum is so flexible, easy to use, and sounds really great. I agree with one guys review. It's not the BEST sounding synth on earth, but it's workflow and insane mod capability makes it a great, usable instrument. I'm an avg sound designer, so it's rare for me to criticize the presets. But, honestly, they don't showcase the synth very well IMHO, as I find many of the presets are atonal and overload the output. I found that there were very few simple, basic pads/leads/basses that could be used right out of the gate, or modded slightly and then used. This is a synth where one osc, with the a second mixed in slightly is all you need. Add a little Komplex Modulator, route one osc through one LP, and the other osc through the other LP, or the dig filter, and you're cooking with gas.

I'd pair the Quantum with the One. That's a lot of synth...My recent quote, for what it's worth, has been (putting $ aside), "with the Quantum and the One, you can conquer the world." You really wouldn't need anything else IMHO. If you want to add in some vintage, a Jp4, a Mono-Poly and/or a Trident would give you plenty of Vintage kick along with the One/Quantum. Just my opinion.

By the way, I'm not trying to be insensitive to anyone. What I'm suggesting here isn't cheap. I'm just focussing on the instruments themselves. It's not like any of these synths write the song for ya, and if one wants to spend less, there are plenty of great alternatives out there.
Old 27th March 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccme View Post
I'd pair the Quantum with the One. That's a lot of synth...My recent quote, for what it's worth, has been (putting $ aside), "with the Quantum and the One, you can conquer the world." You really wouldn't need anything else IMHO. If you want to add in some vintage, a Jp4, a Mono-Poly and/or a Trident would give you plenty of Vintage kick along with the One/Quantum. Just my opinion.

By the way, I'm not trying to be insensitive to anyone. What I'm suggesting here isn't cheap. I'm just focussing on the instruments themselves. It's not like any of these synths write the song for ya, and if one wants to spend less, there are plenty of great alternatives out there.
I'm one of the ones who's been nonplussed by the demos so far. Whereas I hear a lot of tonal variety in, say, Deckard's Dream demos, I keep hearing the same fizzy multi-octave saw-pulse in every One demo. Otherwise, it was basically exactly what I was looking for in a Big Poly to balance the Quantum. Though the Quantum's VA capability is so good it makes me think I should just get something with a lot of character, like the Deckard's Dream.

I'd love a Trident. Always lusted over that thing, but could only afford a Polysix.

ETA: I am lucky now that I have a good paying day job and can afford some of the stuff I lusted over (or would have lusted over) when I was young. If I were starting out today, I'd get an older Mac and Logic and go to town with the presets after I learned the basics on something like a Microbrute.

Last edited by SandyS1; 27th March 2019 at 09:49 PM.. Reason: Additional thought
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search