The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Moog One - Owners Discussion Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 4th November 2018
Lives for gear

Moog One - Owners Discussion

Mods, sorry if you think this is a duplicate ... just thought we might have a place that can stay more on topic.

Probably not likely to happen, but can we keep the conversations simply about issues and or help between the owners?

I'll start with ...

-Put a Mic into the external Mic input (Mine is going through a Pre)
-Load Drifting Fog.
-Turn off all the inserts on the Output More page.
-Talk into your Mic

It seems that it should not pass through in this configuration .. but I'm getting the mic.

-Disable Synth 3
Mic stops feeding.

-Enable Synth 3
-Enable an insert on Synth 2
Mic stops feeding

I've tried a bunch of combinations and it just gets more confusing about how the routing is working.
Old 4th November 2018
Lives for gear

Perhaps the upcoming update will address this.
Old 4th November 2018
Lives for gear

I saved the preset and each timbre with the settings updated the way I wanted (all inserts off etc...) , shut down and restarted. Loaded the edited preset. The problem is gone. It behaves normally now.
Old 4th November 2018
Lives for gear

Possibly a helpful tidbit ... When gain staging, remember that the Master effects sends bypass the VCA...
Old 20th November 2018
Gear Maniac

In the Polyphony 'More' screen there is 'Pitch Variance' of course. When Unison if OFF, what is the relationship exactly between the 'Pitch Variance' knob and using the 'Detune' knob? Here is what the manual says, but it needs a bit more explanation. Both seem to state that there is a random pitch variance, but I'm not clear as to the difference. 'Pitch Variance' has a large effect, but the 'Detune' (unison off) doesn't seem to do much either by itself or in conjuction with the 'Pitch Variance' knob.

Does anybody have any idea?

Manual:
When the UNISON button is Off/Unlit, the DETUNE knob adds a random amount of pitch variance to each note as it is played. This can create a richer and more natural sound, and can somewhat emulate the imprecision and drift of early analog components. Rotating this knob to the right will increase the breadth of the pitch variance range.

PITCH VARIANCE (0 CENTS to 50 CENTS)
To emulate some of the imprecision and drift of early analog components, this parameter adds a random amount of variation to the pitch of each new note as it is played – within the limits set by this value. This can create a richer and a more “classic” analog sound. Rotating this knob to the right will increase the breadth of the PITCH VARIANCE range.
Old 20th November 2018
Lives for gear

I’m reading through the manual, but with my limited eyesight, am having an issue with how to get an i it patch....I’m sure it’s me, I’m over.ooking something. But, some help, please?
Old 20th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicncars View Post
I’m reading through the manual, but with my limited eyesight, am having an issue with how to get an i it patch....I’m sure it’s me, I’m over.ooking something. But, some help, please?
press compare+shift.

Old 22nd November 2018
Lives for gear

My bend box now has an unusable Pitch Wheel. A few days ago it became extremely difficult to move and makes very loud mechanical grinding noises in both directions and there’s no more smooth action. I had barely been using it, so this sudden issue is quite frustrating. There doesn’t appear to be any way for me to fix this as it stands. The Mod Wheel has also developed (too much) extra friction AND associated noise in the first 1/3 of its range.

Good news is the light ticking sounds the keyboard made all the way on the right side of the key bed (from the internal sprites) hasn’t returned.

Bad news is I’m experiencing way too many OS bugs requiring rebooting. A couple nights ago, I wasted a whole hour just trying to add simple modulations to a patch. Every time I got to the point of adding a third destination to a mod parameter (eg adding both filters, then pitch to AT), the synth would go completely silent. Even loading any new preset and the synth was still silent, requiring a reboot. Loading the same patch after rebooting rendered the whole synth silent again, requires another reboot.

Fan noise still way too loud and vari-speeding-pitching on mine, along with rattling AND resonating with the metal enclosure, which also runs much hotter now. The back vent grill gets very hot to the touch, making me concerned at the thought of setting the fans at an even lower steady-state speed just to reduce the noise, which I know won’t solve the issue fully anyway. The One need new fans AND improved installation and algos of same.

Still love this synth, and the beautiful wood framing on mine, but I think I need a replacement in perfect, quiet, physical working order. I can then put up with the software and OS upgrades to reducing bugs and reboots, etc. But, having problems with both the physical build AND the OS is just too much I’m afraid.

Old 22nd November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by string6theory View Post
My bend box now has an unusable Pitch Wheel. A few days ago it became extremely difficult to move and makes very loud mechanical grinding noises in both directions and there’s no more smooth action. I had barely been using it, so this sudden issue is quite frustrating. There doesn’t appear to be any way for me to fix this. The Mod Wheel has also developed extra friction and associated noise in the first 1/3 of its range.

Good news is the light ticking sounds the keyboard made all the way on the right side of the key bed (from the internal sprites) hasn’t returned.

Bad news is I’m experiencing way too many OS bugs requiring rebooting. A couple nights ago, I wasted a whole hour just trying to add simple modulations to a patch. Every time I got to the point of adding a third destination to a mod parameter (eg adding both filters, then pitch to AT), the synth would go completely silent. Even loading any new preset and the synth was still silent, requiring a reboot. Loading the same patch rendered the whole synth silent again.

Fan noise still way too loud and vari-speeding-pitching on mine, along with rattling and resonating with the metal enclosure, which also runs much hotter now. The back vent grill gets very hot to the touch, making me concerned at the thought of setting it at an even lower steady-state speed just to reduce the noise. These need new fans or improved installation and algos of same.

Still love this synth, and the beautiful wood framing on mine, but I think I need a replacement in perfect, quiet, physical working order. I can then put up with the software and OS upgrades to reducing bugs and reboots, etc. But, having problems with both the physical build AND the OS is just too much I’m afraid.

You should get a replacement. Obviously some physical issues - maybe during shipping, but who knows? The crashes might be related as well....Mine has not crashed once. But even if not, between the fan and the wheels, something is physically amiss, and I'd anticipate Moog making it right in short order.
Old 22nd November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Aiken View Post
You should get a replacement. Obviously some physical issues - maybe during shipping, but who knows? The crashes might be related as well....Mine has not crashed once. But even if not, between the fan and the wheels, something is physically amiss, and I'd anticipate Moog making it right in short order.
Yes, I tend to agree, and it would not be the first shipping and damage related problem synth I’ve received. Perhaps some things just got loosened up inside, skewing certain mechanical functions, despite the excellent box it comes in.

I did insist on and was told twice that it would ship from SW with fully surround bubble wrap of the Moog One box INSIDE a larger SW box. Of course, that didn’t happen and it shipped in a tight fitting SW box - without the extra bubble padding for the inevitable shipping impact reduction.

Trying to save on shipping costs for expensive gearz like this, by not using surround bubble wrap just to keep the box smaller ALWAYS ends up costing more in the long run - along with wasting my time and effort and creating frustration.
Old 22nd November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertflyer View Post
press compare+shift.

Thanks!
Old 22nd November 2018
Lives for gear

I’m sorry to hear how many issues your having. You’d think by 2018, these kinds of problems would be almost obsolete. I’m sure Moog will do whatever they can to make sure you’re a happy customer.
Quote:
Yes, I tend to agree, and it would not be the first shipping and damage related problem synth I’ve received. Perhaps some things just got loosened up inside, skewing certain mechanical functions, despite the excellent box it comes in.

I did insist on and was told twice that it would ship from SW with fully surround bubble wrap of the Moog One box INSIDE a larger SW box. Of course, that didn’t happen and it shipped in a tight fitting SW box - without the extra bubble padding for the inevitable shipping impact reduction.

Trying to save on shipping costs for expensive gearz like this, by not using surround bubble wrap just to keep the box smaller ALWAYS ends up costing more in the long run - along with wasting my time and effort and creating frustration.
Old 22nd November 2018
Lives for gear

Has anybody noticed non-symmetric patterns and hairpin lines in the white keys under the polish when the light hits them at a certain angle.

I just want to make sure it’s not just my keybed

And no... I’m not in drugs

(Not sarcasm .. I’m really not on drugs)

Edit: it’s hard to get a picture of it but you can kind of see it on this D key
Attached Thumbnails
Moog One - Owners Discussion-000cabed-544f-4452-891f-a027ee10f8e5.jpg  
Old 22nd November 2018
Lives for gear

I’ll take a look when I get home. I noticed the keys feel textured.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh View Post
Has anybody noticed non-symmetric patterns and hairpin lines in the white keys under the polish when the light hits them at a certain angle.

Old 22nd November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I’ll take a look when I get home. I noticed the keys feel textured.
Thanks. The light is bad in my space but when I turned on the overhead spot lights I noticed it at certain angles. A few of the keys look like they have deep scratches that were then glossed over. The feel of the keybed is perfect and polished and you can’t notice it much at all but these deep patterns are weird. I need to contact Moog to confirm it is within tolerance.
Old 22nd November 2018
Lives for gear

I had a weird thing happen. Made an init patch, made some adjustments to envelope, pushed the sync button, when I played a note, had some strange sound artifacts, sounded like white noise and real static-y. I powered it down, then back on, tried the same thing, this time, problem was gone. I have not had it lock up, or freeze. Of course, I’ve only had time to play with it for about an hour.
Old 23rd November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I’m sorry to hear how many issues your having. You’d think by 2018, these kinds of problems would be almost obsolete. I’m sure Moog will do whatever they can to make sure you’re a happy customer.
Thanks. I do hope so.

Another repeated problem occurring after setting up modulations, pressing the Mod button ONLY shows the just setup modulations, but none of the modulations that were setup prior.

E.g., I can only see modulation row #13 and up, but NOT rows 1 - 12, which include various XY, AT, MW, etc. modulations. The scroll wheel is NOT able to scroll to the earlier modulations to make changes - UNTIL I REBOOT.

I've also had modulations I've already setup, and can hear, suddenly disappear after making subsequent modulations (which are unrelated to the previous ones afaik).

E.g., I'll setup and hear basic SV and Ladder filter AT, then it disappears at some point. Pressing Mod and increasing those AT amount has no effect. ONLY deleting those now inaudible modulations and setting them up again from scratch will work - which then allows me to hear the filter AT again - even though it's at the same level it was already set at, but somehow became inaudible.

I don't think my One was potty trained properly or got irritable bowel syndrome caused by internal shipping damage because it'll just sort of poop whenever.
Old 23rd November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks. The light is bad in my space but when I turned on the overhead spot lights I noticed it at certain angles. A few of the keys look like they have deep scratches that were then glossed over. The feel of the keybed is perfect and polished and you can’t notice it much at all but these deep patterns are weird. I need to contact Moog to confirm it is within tolerance.
Edit; ALL GOOD! These scratches are on the plastic protectors stuck on each and every knob. They’re actually stuck on so well and very transparent, so they fooled me into thinking I was seeing the aluminum.

I see scratches on many of the aluminum tipped knobs, as though they were all in a big bag together, scratching each other up before being installed. The big one looks like has a warp stain or something. They really should come from the supplier with some protective tape over these scratch prone metal discs.

Last edited by string6theory; 23rd November 2018 at 09:52 AM.. Reason: edit for plastic protectors
Old 23rd November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I see scratches on many of the aluminum tipped knobs, as though they were all in a big bag together, scratching each other up before being installed. The big one looks like has a warp stain or something. They really should come from the supplier with some protective tape over these scratch prone metal discs.

I want a perfect ONE. This is not unreasonable. I know Moog can do it!
Wow. Do you see anything in the white keys?
Old 23rd November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

Edit: it’s hard to get a picture of it but you can kind of see it on this D key
When Fatar delivers KBD to a OEM i have seen a couple of times the KBD keys had some sort of self adhesive plastic on them. But that was long time ago.If more folks have stripes on numerous keys then it can be the injection mold who is on its last runs, but steel usually last for great volumes.

Korg KBD installation, does Moog the same procedure!
YouTube

Here Clavia factory tour, note KBD calibration station and KBD has some thing bubble foam cover.
YouTube

Yamaha KBD factory, they make their own KBD.
YouTube

Farfisa KBD's is clearly delivered in a bubbly foam bag most likely a FATAR KBD.
YouTube

But if your on drugs this would be appropriate entertainment!
Old 23rd November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wow. Do you see anything in the white keys?
I looked briefly with a flashlight after reading your post, but couldn’t see any scratches - although the light from the flashlight was somewhat glaring on the white keys, so I’ll look under another less intense room lamp light later.

All your aluminum knob discs unscratched? (This scratches are easily seen on this panel under even low light). :-/

Edit; these scratches are on the plastic protectors, not the aluminum. Yeah!

Last edited by string6theory; 23rd November 2018 at 09:49 AM..
Old 23rd November 2018
Gear Maniac

A number of my knob tips are scratched as well.
Old 23rd November 2018
Gear Nut

Mine are all scratched too, but it's because there's plastic on each knob. peel them off. I had the same issue on my sub 37. I peeled each one off. Since i know this, i don't feel like pulling off plastic on 73 knobs, on the One.

The plastic is on the metal part of the knobs really good, which is why it's easy to not be able to tell it's there. You just have to get something to tear the plastic a little so u can then pull off the rest. Make sure to use something that won't scratch the knob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthient Sound View Post
A number of my knob tips are scratched as well.

Last edited by lark830; 23rd November 2018 at 09:46 AM.. Reason: More specifics
Old 23rd November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lark830 View Post
Mine are all scratched too, but it's because there's plastic on each knob. peel them off. I had the same issue on my sub 37. I peeled each one off. Since i know this, i don't feel like pulling off plastic on 73 knobs, on the One.

The plastic is on the metal part of the knobs really good, which is why it's easy to not be able to tell it's there. You just have to get something to tear the plastic a little so u can then pull off the rest. Make sure to use something that won't scratch the knob!

You are correct sir!

I went ahead and edited my post above, thank you! The plastic protector discs cover the aluminum discs perfectly, so I was fooled by their transparency.
Old 23rd November 2018
Gear Maniac

Thanks @ lark830 ! I had tried to see if it would peel up but had no luck...you really have to dig those covers off! Thanks for the tip
Old 23rd November 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Thanks @ lark830 ! I had tried to see if it would peel up but had no luck...you really have to dig those covers off! Thanks for the tip
no worries. glad i could help. it's such a little thing, but i know how tiny things like this can be annoying. all of my moogs have them (mini moog reissue, grandmother, sub 37, one). after i peeled them off of the sub37 a few years ago, anything moog i bought afterwards, like the mini moog, grandmother, and now the one, i can't be bothered

i'm almost sure most people don't know about these protectors on top of the knobs.
Old 23rd November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lark830 View Post
no worries. glad i could help. it's such a little thing, but i know how tiny things like this can be annoying. all of my moogs have them (mini moog reissue, grandmother, sub 37, one). after i peeled them off of the sub37 a few years ago, anything moog i bought afterwards, like the mini moog, grandmother, and now the one, i can't be bothered

i'm almost sure most people don't know about these protectors on top of the knobs.
And, I think you’d be right, haha. I have a Mini, Voyager, Voyager RME, Sub-37, Minitaur, CP-251, VX-352, VX-353 and almost every Fooger made - all with the big Moog knobs - and I never knew!

Thank you Moog for protecting these big beautiful synth knobs so well, and my apologies for doubting that you had this issue perfectly covered, literally!
Old 27th November 2018
Lives for gear

I've seen this explanation a couple of times and it is the first thing I did that made me realize you have to really use this thing differently. And, I wanted to update the info a little more ..

The original tip I believe said to use the Triangle shaped to ramp and a tiny sliver of pulse slightly mixed in to get a more buzzy oscillator. This works like a champ.

However, you can do more.

You can do the same thing with the default Saw osc, just have the tiny pulse on be swept left on the PW knob.

You can also use the pulse on either side to get a different kind of buzziness. What I've started to do and really like is have OSC 1 and 2 in Full Saw. Then have 1 with the pulse to the left (excites the top of the wave), and one with the PW most of the way right (excites the bottom of the wave). Of course you can do this with the triangle in either ramp or saw shape. But also, it give a weird character to the triangle.

So basically, when you are primarily using a saw/ramp shape you can use the PW to give different amounts of buzziness to that wave.
Hope that helps someone.
Old 27th November 2018
Gear Maniac

@ jmcecil , I've done it the one way, but not the other yet...going to experiment with that tomorrow, thanks.

btw, I received a long, skinny decal from Sweetwater for my One. It has the labeling for the back jacks, but it is set face up for if you lean over the One to plug it in. It was nice of them to do that. They made it long enough to go all the way across the back, but if I install it, I will cut it down to just the size of the jack panel...no sense covering beautiful wood if you don't have to.
Old 27th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
btw, I received a long, skinny decal from Sweetwater for my One. It has the labeling for the back jacks, but it is set face up for if you lean over the One to plug it in. It was nice of them to do that. They made it long enough to go all the way across the back, but if I install it, I will cut it down to just the size of the jack panel...no sense covering beautiful wood if you don't have to.
Yep, got mine too!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search