The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Moog One - Owners Discussion
Old 29th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoundTound View Post
Thanks for the reply.

To further clarify, I will most likely use my Fantom 7’s sequencer to control each M1 layer on independent midi channels.

The idea is to have Ch1/layer 1 as a static bass part that won’t be tweaked in a live scenario, then set ch/layer 2&3 as identical sounds playing different phrases/sequences from the fantom, alternating between layer 2 and 3. This would allow me tweak sequence 1 on layer 2, switch to sequence 2 on layer 3 which would reset the sound back to original settings, then switch back to sequence 4 on layer 2 as long as I can reset each layer independently of each other.

Do snapshots function on a layer level? If so, that might be a way to achieve this.

Hopefully this makes sense.
hmm .. interesting idea on snapshots. I'm not sure they were intended to be used in a live context the way you describe. Not that it's "wrong", just I'm not sure it will be convenient enough.. But, having never tried, maybe you could do that. They are easy to save, a little cumbersome to recall.
Old 29th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcecil View Post
hmm .. interesting idea on snapshots. I'm not sure they were intended to be used in a live context the way you describe. Not that it's "wrong", just I'm not sure it will be convenient enough.. But, having never tried, maybe you could do that. They are easy to save, a little cumbersome to recall.
What’s the process for recalling snapshots?
Old 29th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcecil View Post
It looks like it’s just pressing shift+snapshot then pressing the master encoder. This can work for what I need.
Old 30th June 2020
Gear Nut

Patch changes are not instantaneous on the Moog one. Not sure this will accomplish what you wish to accomplish, especially if you are using the effects.
Old 30th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkJake View Post
Patch changes are not instantaneous on the Moog one. Not sure this will accomplish what you wish to accomplish, especially if you are using the effects.
How about loading snapshots? Also, when loading a snapshot on layer 1, does it interfere with the other two layers? Does sound drop out of the other layers when recalling a snapshot on layer one?
Old 30th June 2020
MWK
Gear Nut

Quote:
How about loading snapshots? Also, when loading a snapshot on layer 1, does it interfere with the other two layers? Does sound drop out of the other layers when recalling a snapshot on layer one?
Snapshots are of all 3 synth at once. I think if you just changed the settings on one synth and all others stayed the same, that would work. Especially if you make sure to allocate all your voices discretely on each individual synths. That way, when you change the snapshot, the voices won't reshuffle and glitch out.

The audible noises when presets are changed are just the voices/settings having to re-configure on the fly. Some settings are just not very compatible and the transitions can be abrupt and noisy. I will test this out tonight and let you know, but from what I remember you just need to be clever about your changes if you don't want audible glitches when changing snapshots.

I believe settings that are the same don't reset at all and just keep doing their thing. So if you have a sequence going with the same pattern, I don't think it would re-trigger or reset. But I could be wrong. At least, if you make sure that no other setting forces it to reset (like a re-trigger or something) then yeah, I think it flows pretty seamlessly. I'll let you know tonight.
Old 30th June 2020
Gear Nut

The three layers, while somewhat independent are still aggregated into the concept of the patch. You can load timbres into synths individually and recall entire patch snapshots on the fly, but, depending upon the patches, you may or may not hear audible artifacts.

For example, if you have a sequence playing on synth 1, save that as a snapshot and then reload that snapshot, the sequence continues on at the same point in the sequence. However, the voice itself reloads and depending upon what that voice is programmed to do, you may 'restart' the voice. By that I mean the voice re-triggers and the envelopes, LFOs and effects restart. So, even with the same voice, you may hear an audible change in the timbre regardless of the step in the sequence. Especially with extended envelopes or synchronized LFOs.

You really have to think of the One as three synths serving the context of the patch, if that makes sense. As MWK states above, you have to be clever with your patch choices to ensure you get good results. Changing patch/snapshot states is best accomplished when no voices are sounding and no effects lingering to ensure the best results.
Old 30th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWK View Post
Snapshots are of all 3 synth at once. I think if you just changed the settings on one synth and all others stayed the same, that would work. Especially if you make sure to allocate all your voices discretely on each individual synths. That way, when you change the snapshot, the voices won't reshuffle and glitch out.

The audible noises when presets are changed are just the voices/settings having to re-configure on the fly. Some settings are just not very compatible and the transitions can be abrupt and noisy. I will test this out tonight and let you know, but from what I remember you just need to be clever about your changes if you don't want audible glitches when changing snapshots.

I believe settings that are the same don't reset at all and just keep doing their thing. So if you have a sequence going with the same pattern, I don't think it would re-trigger or reset. But I could be wrong. At least, if you make sure that no other setting forces it to reset (like a re-trigger or something) then yeah, I think it flows pretty seamlessly. I'll let you know tonight.

Quote:
The three layers, while somewhat independent are still aggregated into the concept of the patch. You can load timbres into synths individually and recall entire patch snapshots on the fly, but, depending upon the patches, you may or may not hear audible artifacts.

For example, if you have a sequence playing on synth 1, save that as a snapshot and then reload that snapshot, the sequence continues on at the same point in the sequence. However, the voice itself reloads and depending upon what that voice is programmed to do, you may 'restart' the voice. By that I mean the voice re-triggers and the envelopes, LFOs and effects restart. So, even with the same voice, you may hear an audible change in the timbre regardless of the step in the sequence. Especially with extended envelopes or synchronized LFOs.

You really have to think of the One as three synths serving the context of the patch, if that makes sense. As MWK states above, you have to be clever with your patch choices to ensure you get good results. Changing patch/snapshot states is best accomplished when no voices are sounding and no effects lingering to ensure the best results.
Thanks for the help guys.

To be clear, the snapshot of the layer that I want to change will be silent with no sequence playing at the time of change.

The plan is to create identical patches on two layers playing alternating sequences from my fantom. I’ll tweak the first sequence/layer to death, building up to the next sequence which will trigger the fresh layer with a new sequence.

My question is, After tweaking the second layer/sequence to death, am I able to reset the first layer back to the original state so I can play a third sequence on a fresh first layer? If so, this will allow me to bounce back and forth as many times as my fantom will allow. Keep in mind that the layer preset/snapshot needing to be changed will *not* have audio playing but another layer *will* have audio playing.
Old 30th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWK View Post

So it sounds like I will have to change the snapshot immediately after I change sequence/layer. Then I can tweak the new layer with minimal changes to the playing layer. Not a huge deal, I just have to make it a habit.
Old 30th June 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Thanks for the help guys.

To be clear, the snapshot of the layer that I want to change will be silent with no sequence playing at the time of change.

The plan is to create identical patches on two layers playing alternating sequences from my fantom. I’ll tweak the first sequence/layer to death, building up to the next sequence which will trigger the fresh layer with a new sequence.

My question is, After tweaking the second layer/sequence to death, am I able to reset the first layer back to the original state so I can play a third sequence on a fresh first layer? If so, this will allow me to bounce back and forth as many times as my fantom will allow. Keep in mind that the layer preset/snapshot needing to be changed will *not* have audio playing but another layer *will* have audio playing.
You cannot snapshot an individual synth, you can only snapshot a patch, which, includes all three synths (or layers as you call them).

You can however, load an individual synth with a timbre from another patch.

Think of it this way, when you select a patch (or a snapshot), it loads all three synths with three timbres. Once the synths are loaded, you can traverse your other patches and load individual timbres from other patches into any of the three synths.

Selecting a patch or a snapshot of a patch always loads all three synths with the three timbres associated with that patch.

So, while there are three synths, they are united by the concept of the patch, which ties together the individual controls and settings of the timbres with the global controls and settings of the patch.

I may be wrong, but, I think you are trying to treat the One as three completely separate yet equal synths in a single package, which, is not quite how the One actually works. The three synth are treated more as three separate, individual timbres associated within a global patch setting which designates how those three synths work together to utilize the available voice assets, control mechanisms and effects sections.
Old 30th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
You cannot snapshot an individual synth, you can only snapshot a patch, which, includes all three synths (or layers as you call them).

You can however, load an individual synth with a timbre from another patch.

Think of it this way, when you select a patch (or a snapshot), it loads all three synths with three timbres. Once the synths are loaded, you can traverse your other patches and load individual timbres from other patches into any of the three synths.

Selecting a patch or a snapshot of a patch always loads all three synths with the three timbres associated with that patch.

So, while there are three synths, they are united by the concept of the patch, which ties together the individual controls and settings of the timbres with the global controls and settings of the patch.

I may be wrong, but, I think you are trying to treat the One as three completely separate yet equal synths in a single package, which, is not quite how the One actually works. The three synth are treated more as three separate, individual timbres associated within a global patch setting which designates how those three synths work together to utilize the available voice assets, control mechanisms and effects sections.
Your explanation helps a ton!

It seems that I can still accomplish what I need by loading a timbre from an existing preset. I imagine the notes feature will get used to remind me which layer to load at which sequence. Thanks again!
Old 30th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:

It seems that I can still accomplish what I need by loading a timbre from an existing preset. I imagine the notes feature will get used to remind me which layer to load at which sequence. Thanks again!
Just be aware the patch load can come with artifacts if you have effects running.
Old 1st July 2020
Gear Maniac

Moog Gods.... PLEASE give me clock, gate and envelopes out the Moog One CV outs. Who must I sacrifice to make this happen?
Old 1st July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by obliterations View Post
Moog Gods.... PLEASE give me clock, gate and envelopes out the Moog One CV outs. Who must I sacrifice to make this happen?
Your first born.
Old 1st July 2020
MWK
Gear Nut

Quote:

I tested it and you'll have artifacts if any sound is playing. Even if you're loading the exact same preset/snapshot, you hear a slight variance.

So that answers it.
Old 3rd July 2020
Lives for gear

Had my Moog One 8 voice for sale and a touring musical act wanted to buy it but I wont sell to them because I know the ONE is totally unroadworthy! That said any of you taken the risk and tried to tour with this fragile beast?
Old 3rd July 2020
Lives for gear

Has Moog mentioned the possibility of adding absolute parameter locking in the sequencer instead of just offsets?
Old 3rd July 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2ba View Post
Had my Moog One 8 voice for sale and a touring musical act wanted to buy it but I wont sell to them because I know the ONE is totally unroadworthy! That said any of you taken the risk and tried to tour with this fragile beast?
Why do you believe it is fragile? Heavy, yes, but I am not sure I would consider it fragile.
Old 3rd July 2020
IAA
Gear Head

Quote:
Why do you believe it is fragile? Heavy, yes, but I am not sure I would consider it fragile.
Certainly no more than say a Kronos or other big synth.
Old 3rd July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAA View Post
Certainly no more than say a Kronos or other big synth.
A Moog One is unlikely to survive a tour intact ---due to heating of stage lights , its fragile mesh cooling system ---I never sold it and accepted their good offer because I knew it would be returned broken for those two reasons. I reckon Moog themselves would say the One is not designed to be toured with --its def a studio synth like their System 35's
A Kronos or P12 would be just fine
Old 3rd July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
A Moog One is unlikely to survive a tour intact ---due to heating of stage lights , its fragile mesh cooling system ---I never sold it and accepted their good offer because I knew it would be returned broken for those two reasons. I reckon Moog themselves would say the One is not designed to be toured with --its def a studio synth like their System 35's
A Kronos or P12 would be just fine
But.. it toured with Phish
Old 3rd July 2020
IAA
Gear Head

Quote:
Moog themselves would say the One is not designed to be toured with
I’m not sure about that are you?? Emerson toured with a pretty big Moog didn’t he!!
Old 3rd July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh View Post
But.. it toured with Phish
Maybe so but no Moog One would survive a New Zealand tour or even an Australian tour with our Road Crews down under
Old 3rd July 2020
Lives for gear

Exhibit 1: Moog One and Stage Lights
Attached Thumbnails
Moog One - Owners Discussion-251c1d1c-dbc1-451c-b548-3ac72fcc4822.jpg  
Old 3rd July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Maybe so but no Moog One would survive a New Zealand tour or even an Australian tour with our Road Crews down under
Ah yes the famous * Road Case Derby* on Aussie tours
Old 3rd July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh View Post
Exhibit 1: Moog One and Stage Lights
I think the One is gigable for an arena band with professional crew and ample truck space, and perhaps the resources to carry a back up.

I think where I would be leery would be on an indie club level van tour where it would get bounced around, and subject to more heat than an arena or theater type venue. Larger venues, even if they have more lights overall are generally cooler on stage In smaller clubs the lights are generally close and hot, and the venues are not as well ventilated.
Old 3rd July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Aiken View Post
I think the One is gigable for an arena band with professional crew and ample truck space, and perhaps the resources to carry a back up.

I think where I would be leery would be on an indie club level van tour where it would get bounced around, and subject to more heat than an arena or theater type venue. Larger venues, even if they have more lights overall are generally cooler on stage In smaller clubs the lights are generally close and hot, and the venues are not as well ventilated.
Good point Phish probably has 3 backups
Old 3rd July 2020
IAA
Gear Head

I’ve toured with a mellotron, the One would be a walk in the park.....
Old 3rd July 2020
Lives for gear

I thought the A6 would be too big to gig locally.... not anymore. I about had a hernia the day I unboxed and loaded the One onto a stand.... makes the A6 seem like a plastic MIDI controller.

Definitely would need roadies for the One. Can't imagine how you old geezers did it back in the day with all those classic vintage pieces of furniture. Respect!
Old 4th July 2020
Lives for gear

I have no direct experience, but I'm pretty sure that the Moog One could handle just about any tour duty - heat, shock or otherwise.

Fans use temp sensors to accommodate airflow, it's built like a tank, and I remember thinking when I watched the initial live-build videos when it was first shipping that it could probably survive a bomb-blast compared to some other synths I'm familiar with, that have extensive tour pedigree.

I'd be less concerned with the Moog One incurring damage vs anything that it may inadvertently come in contact with (including the van that the indie band tours in).

You could probably knock a building down with this thing and it would still work.

Loving the new 1.4 update. Have been messing around with it and did some programming yesterday - Night and day improvement in my case.

Finally starting to enjoy this thing.

Greg
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear