The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Moog One - Owners Discussion
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Site View Post
Im joining this thread now as a new Moog One 16 owner.
I must admit that I was very critical to the Moog One in the beginning, listening to the sound of it on every Youtube video that came out, starting with the live ones from Moog and then other peoples videos. I thought the sound was a little harsh and that it had buzzy oscillators.
But now when I got it at home its not that case at all. It has a very pleasant analog sound and all the functions, possibilities and GUI are wonderful to use.

But now over to the negative part: The fans!
I knew when I bought it that it have several fans inside and that they was going to produce a background noise. But I was prepared to accept some background fan noise, its a complex synth with sixteen voices, its bound to get hot in there, and I can feel on the back of it that it is.

I also got The River with no fans at all, but that is with eight voices and fewer functions. And a much bigger chassi.

So as d2ba wrote further up here, if the chassi on Moog One would have been bigger, probably so many fans hadnt been needed.

Sound and noise are of course very subjective matter, thats why its interesting to read here about how different people experiencing the noise from the fans on Moog One.
Ive heard some owners saying that they hardly can hear the fans at all.
And that makes it very strange for me, and I start to wonder if my Moog One is faulty?
I think the fans are extremely noisy on my Moog One. On normal setting its totally unbearable loud. Thankfully there is the low setting, but even here I can clearly hear them all the time. And they often temporarily run up in higher speed when I use it.

An interesting comparison is IAA´s post up here, "As to the fan, I leave mine on normal. It’s quieter than my Kronos"

Ive got a Kronos and can compare, the sound of the fan on my Kronos is about one third of the sound of the fans in Moog One with low setting. In normal setting they are so far from each other so its no use to compare.

IAA have an eight voice which are probably cooler than the 16 voice, but still, its a huge different in experience of the sound.

Can it be that the sound from the fans on Moog One differ on every synth?

If this is the case I would like to send it to the agent and get it fixed. Or better if it can be fixed with the firmware.

But its still hard to know what is a normal fan noise and what isnt? People are very different when it comes to accepting background noise, and maybe Im more sensitive for it.

I did a short video filming with my mobile camera from in front of my face were I sit when I Play the synth, this is the fans with normal setting.
Maybe its hard to experience the sound level in a video. But as some kind of a reference: Is this anything like the sound level you experience on your One´s in normal setting?

The 8V models do not have the fan noise of the 16V in normal mode, as I said in my previous post the 16V has too many boards installed another 4 compared the the 8V and needs to be in a CS-80 sized chassis. The 8V is perfect for the moog one chassis.
Old 3 weeks ago
For anyone who's purchased Pinnacle Expansion Pack: We've released an update to all 25 patches that addressed some issues I found that appeared gradually as new firmware updates gave us big improvements to the FX section, Mod Matrix, & Aftertouch Curves. I sent an email with the download out to all of you who own the pack but wanted to pass it on here in case that mail hit the spam filter. If you had any issues with those presets recently, this should address those. Hope everyone's hanging in there!

Moog One: Pinnacle
https://www.lowgritt.com/product/pinnacle/

Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewis_13 View Post
Understanding the Bellpeggio preset:

This preset has two timbre loaded into two synths. The timbre names indicate the preset wants to pan one timbre hard right and left: Dingybellleft/dingybellright.

But... I can't get dingybellright to make any sound. Check mixer and set synth1 volume to 0, set synth2 volume to max. No sound. Check keyboard enabled for synth2. None. check everything: output routing, mod matrix, turn effects on off.... nothing. Turn knobs at random with added cursing. Nothing.

Totally baffled.

Then, to make myself even more confused: I copy timbre2 to synth 1. So I now have dingybellright loaded into two synths. Now this is the timbre that was making NO sound. Now it makes sounds on both synths after being copied to synth1?! I can pan a synth hard left and another hard right and hear both synths/timbres making sounds.

Why? I don't get it.

Can someone clue me into why this is happening? I don't understand it.

Edit: Okay, it's not me. I was working in a Userspace V1P4 I made after upgrading to v1.04 firmware. If I switch back to the Moog One userspace, Bellpeggio just works like any rational human being would expect it to work. So, I'm dealing with some bug that I don't understand. That's weird and frustrating. At least I'm not going crazy.

Edit: Second turn off in frustration after trying to see if 1982 Horror Movie's delay master effects would work in the Moog One user space. Still barely audible master digital delay with mix 100, gain 100, send 100, feedback 100. This does NOT make sense. Starting to get worried I messed up here.
In the polyphony section, hit the little triangle. Then use the knobs just below the center screen to adjust the "poly count" for that synth. The amount of voices are limited to either 8 or 16, depending on the unit you own, so go to the other synths within the patch and make adjustments as well so as not to exceed available voices (also making sure it is not set to zero).
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Loading up for an 8V. Hopefully the tuning update will arrive in a few weeks.
Truly is a masterpiece.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Hey folks, I got my Moog One to replace my Rev2 and am loving the gorgeous filters and full oscillators. However, one thing I liked about the Rev2 (as well as other units in the Prophet/Evo/MoPho line) is the ability to play a gated sequence on multiple keys. For example if you sequence something in C and play a C1 the gated seq plays the sequence in C1 but if you also play the G1 key the sequence will play the sequence both in C1 and G1.

Is this possible somehow with the Moog One?

With the Synth in poly mode I can set it to Note Trig and Transpose but if I hit C1 then G1 only one voice plays.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyaguy View Post
Hey folks, I got my Moog One to replace my Rev2 and am loving the gorgeous filters and full oscillators. However, one thing I liked about the Rev2 (as well as other units in the Prophet/Evo/MoPho line) is the ability to play a gated sequence on multiple keys. For example if you sequence something in C and play a C1 the gated seq plays the sequence in C1 but if you also play the G1 key the sequence will play the sequence both in C1 and G1.

Is this possible somehow with the Moog One?

With the Synth in poly mode I can set it to Note Trig and Transpose but if I hit C1 then G1 only one voice plays.
Ha, hey man, welcome to the club. I don't think this is possible, but I'd love to be wrong. I think you'll find there are handful of things the Rev 2 could do that the One can not (and vice versa). I owned a Rev 2 early on. Eventually sold it. Got a One. Now I'm thinking of adding a Rev 2 desktop. There's overlap and if I only had one it would be the One. But I don't think it's totally ridiculous to own both (I may be talking myself into this). The gated sequencers on the Rev 2 sets it apart from A LOT of other synthesizers.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinamsis View Post
Ha, hey man, welcome to the club. I don't think this is possible, but I'd love to be wrong. I think you'll find there are handful of things the Rev 2 could do that the One can not (and vice versa). I owned a Rev 2 early on. Eventually sold it. Got a One. Now I'm thinking of adding a Rev 2 desktop. There's overlap and if I only had one it would be the One. But I don't think it's totally ridiculous to own both (I may be talking myself into this). The gated sequencers on the Rev 2 sets it apart from A LOT of other synthesizers.
Hey, thanks! Yeah the gated sequencers are one of my favorite parts of Dave's synths. I got the Pro 3 recently and it's the best of his sequencers yet!

I did set up a workaround on the Moog One today that can do this, albeit with limitations:
  • Create the patch with the sequencer
  • Copy the Timbre to Synth 2 and 3
  • Set Synth 1 to span C0 to B2
  • Set Synth 2 to span C2 to B4
  • Set Synth 3 to span C4 to C6

The notes listed are obviously just examples.

This lets you play the same sequence on different keys. Of course the limitation is that you have to plan your split ranges in advance. You're locked into whichever ranges you choose. But if I plan it right I think I can at least make it work for most use cases, especially since I often play these sequences in octaves and fifths.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52 VCOs View Post
Hi Folks,

Here's the latest weirdness I've experienced with the M1. Somehow a piece of debris, maybe plastic, has made its way between the glass of the screen and the LCD display below - it's still loose in that it moves around a little sometimes but is definitely underneath. It has just appeared from nowhere!

It's a bit annoying to say the least, even though it's tiny, as it gets in the way of parts of the screen when lit up.

I've been very careful with the M1 - it's always under a dust sheet when not in use - so I can only imagine that this little scrap was introduced either by the fans and/or was already in the case. The case has been opened up post-factory by Moog's distributors here in the UK to fix a faulty pot under warranty and it's possible something got in at that point.

I've tried gently tipping the synth in the hope that it will slide off and disappear but it's stubbornly clinging on! Any suggestions would be welcome - it would be a real pain to ship it back to Moog's distributor just for this...

52 VCOs.
Did you ever figure this out? Did you get rid of it? If not, has it caused any issues besides annoyance? Mine currently has some debris right on a spot that's often illuminated bright white. I created this account just to post here because it's the only post I can find through Google about this.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Anyone? Bueller? What should I do if I have debris under the One's screen? What would you do?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googy View Post
Anyone? Bueller? What should I do if I have debris under the One's screen? What would you do?
Contact support
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Hi Googy,

There's probably a couple of things you can try to dislodge this debris.
The absolute best and safest would be to have Moog take care of it, but given the way things are, it's not likely that there's anyone there to work on lt, and there may not be for a while.
If you get inside the unit, you run the risk of damaging something, and voiding the warranty on an expensive piece of gear. A bummer.

A non-invasive trick is to create some static around the display by polishing it with a soft rag. Sometimes this will dislodge whatever is hanging out on the LCD display underneath and with a bit of luck you can move it out of sight.
However, you might move it to somewhere that would be more visible and annoying, so there's that to think about.

Compressed air (preferably from an actual compressor, not a wimpy spray can) might also do the trick. It's possible that you might be able to reach the display by blowing air through the back mesh screen around the display, or if you're especially brave, removing the bottom panel and trying that route. The warning from above still applies here, but if this is really killing you, this might be a possibility.

The bottom line...if it's not seriously impacting your ability to use the synth, and you're not an experienced synth tech, it's well worth biting the bullet for the time being and leaving it alone.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiohub View Post
Hi Googy,

There's probably a couple of things you can try to dislodge this debris.
The absolute best and safest would be to have Moog take care of it, but given the way things are, it's not likely that there's anyone there to work on lt, and there may not be for a while.
If you get inside the unit, you run the risk of damaging something, and voiding the warranty on an expensive piece of gear. A bummer.

A non-invasive trick is to create some static around the display by polishing it with a soft rag. Sometimes this will dislodge whatever is hanging out on the LCD display underneath and with a bit of luck you can move it out of sight.
However, you might move it to somewhere that would be more visible and annoying, so there's that to think about.

Compressed air (preferably from an actual compressor, not a wimpy spray can) might also do the trick. It's possible that you might be able to reach the display by blowing air through the back mesh screen around the display, or if you're especially brave, removing the bottom panel and trying that route. The warning from above still applies here, but if this is really killing you, this might be a possibility.

The bottom line...if it's not seriously impacting your ability to use the synth, and you're not an experienced synth tech, it's well worth biting the bullet for the time being and leaving it alone.
Damn :/ alright
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I would at least open the ticket with them so it is logged within the warranty period
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcecil View Post
I would at least open the ticket with them so it is logged within the warranty period
surely if it's happened this quickly it'll happen again? is my screen seal not correct possibly? I mean, my house isn't that dusty, I have a dust cover and air purifier but now there seem to be multiple pieces of debris in there, all somewhat large. It's not akin to some dust, there's a piece of something in there, no way that thing was floating in the air and I have no idea how it could've gotten there nor what it is other than unwanted :(

FML, this is easily the best sounding instrument, acoustic or electronic, I've ever laid my hands on and I have mad OCD.
Old 2 weeks ago
MWK
Gear Nut

Has anyone else noticed that the prices for the Moog One went up? It's $12,5K CAD in Canada now. Crazy! I wonder if it's because of the pandemic and supply chain disruptions.

If anyone's in Toronto looking to buy one, there's a used one posted on Kijiji. It's the first I've seen for sale in Canada. They're sold out everywhere else I checked. I wonder if the prices are going to keep going up because of low stock.

We live in crazy times...
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWK View Post
Has anyone else noticed that the prices for the Moog One went up? It's $12,5K CAD in Canada now. Crazy! I wonder if it's because of the pandemic and supply chain disruptions.

If anyone's in Toronto looking to buy one, there's a used one posted on Kijiji. It's the first I've seen for sale in Canada. They're sold out everywhere else I checked. I wonder if the prices are going to keep going up because of low stock.

Exchange rates have changed.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Its in stock at sweetwater with an instant $700 rebate...
Old 2 weeks ago
MWK
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by d33psp33d View Post
Its in stock at sweetwater with an instant $700 rebate...
Nevermind, that makes it cheaper than it was when it first came out then. But unfortunately, only in the US.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Nevermind, that makes it cheaper than it was when it first came out then. But unfortunately, only in the US.
Sweetwater will deliver to Canada. I use to have them ship stuff to me in Asia. Never had an issue.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Hi everyone,

I'm currently with a few issues, but some I can't tell if it is normal for synthese or an issue.

1. My USB is faulty, and can't use any other USB (off course i resetted USB to the file FAT32 and stuff) tried it even with different USB's
(electronica can be a joke to know it works or it is broken, ducktape doesn't work )

I can't update my Moog One anymore, everytime I try it, with a properly set USB it tells me, an unexpected error has ocurred please power cycle.

2. I have 2 voices slightly out of tune and they stay that way, is this software related or firmware related?

3. This is a question mark question (as I'm not sure if normal or not).
When I use FM modulation I can get very interesting sounds, but some notes sound horrible (like harsh), so I can never use the full keyboard when I fiddle with FM modulation.
Another one is when I fiddle with oscillator sync I can get the same issue, getting cool sounds, but some notes sound harsh.

Customer support is asleep atm, been almost a month for an answer from them, still unanswered . So I wonder if you guys could help me out.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjokesBokes View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm currently with a few issues, but some I can't tell if it is normal for synthese or an issue.

1. My USB is faulty, and can't use any other USB (off course i resetted USB to the file FAT32 and stuff) tried it even with different USB's
(electronica can be a joke to know it works or it is broken, ducktape doesn't work )

I can't update my Moog One anymore, everytime I try it, with a properly set USB it tells me, an unexpected error has ocurred please power cycle.

2. I have 2 voices slightly out of tune and they stay that way, is this software related or firmware related?

3. This is a question mark question (as I'm not sure if normal or not).
When I use FM modulation I can get very interesting sounds, but some notes sound horrible (like harsh), so I can never use the full keyboard when I fiddle with FM modulation.
Another one is when I fiddle with oscillator sync I can get the same issue, getting cool sounds, but some notes sound harsh.

Customer support is asleep atm, been almost a month for an answer from them, still unanswered . So I wonder if you guys could help me out.
I would buy a brand new sd card first, and only use it for the M1. I used different cards and it ended up short circuiting the usb controller. If the new card does not work, the only remedy is to unseat, and reseat the controller. Takes about 30 min to do if you are familiar with pc ribbon cables.

Same thing happened on my prohpet x. I think these synths leave ghost files on the cards that run a muck on other synths/devices. Now I have dedicated cards for each synth.

As per your calibration question, revert to https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...2a331nFXRa3LG3
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Hey DjokesBokes

Any USB stick I tried works here provided it is formatted in FAT32. Has this error occurred after a firmware update?
I now have my third One and that's a keeper. The second had the most issues including some tuning problems and a malfunctioning pitch wheel.
Moog announced a user calibration routine that will go through each of the voices and oscillators and tune them, so that will very likely fix that issue.
Also, after the instrument is properly tuned FM should sound fine too across all keys. It needs a properly tuned instrument to transpose, so what you're hearing is normal I think.

You're right, I don't know what's going on with their support. My last request has been ignored for over a month too and the one prior to that as well. I was lucky I got another replacement from my music store. I almost gave up, but now I'm in love with the new One.
It's a 16018xx serial number with a very nice wood pattern and the tuning is much better than on the 16008xx and the 16013xx I had before.
The oldest one sent pitch bend data all by itself, the foil was put on lopsided and the wood didn't have a nice pattern either. I wish they'd not use foil btw but print the metal if they can't manage to put it on perfectly right

EDIT: Interesting d33p, I didn't know there's already an official way. Hope it works!

EDIT2: What I also noticed with that newer serial is that there is almost no cracking coming from inside when the machine is getting warm or cooling down. So far I only heard it once half an hour after I turned her off. The other two did it all the time and much louder which was a bit annoying.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Quote:
I would buy a brand new sd card first, and only use it for the M1. I used different cards and it ended up short circuiting the usb controller. If the new card does not work, the only remedy is to unseat, and reseat the controller. Takes about 30 min to do if you are familiar with pc ribbon cables.

Same thing happened on my prohpet x. I think these synths leave ghost files on the cards that run a muck on other synths/devices. Now I have dedicated cards for each synth.

As per your calibration question, revert to https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...2a331nFXRa3LG3
I don't feel like opening it up yet, for guarantee voiding...

I use a USB stick, not a USB adapter with sdcard, anyway practically the same.
I already called my retailer, and he said I had to bring it in.
Its still under guarantee, though I'm gonna miss it for a while...

Time to learn some wavetable synthesis
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't feel like opening it up yet, for guarantee voiding...

I use a USB stick, not a USB adapter with sdcard, anyway practically the same.
I already called my retailer, and he said I had to bring it in.
Its still under guarantee, though I'm gonna miss it for a while...

Time to learn some wavetable synthesis
Buying a new dedicated never used sd card etc on the m1 was my first piece of advice, way easier than carting it into any shop even if it's local. The m1 is a tank...
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Buying a new dedicated never used sd card etc on the m1 was my first piece of advice, way easier than carting it into any shop even if it's local. The m1 is a tank...
Where is the SD card slot of the M1?
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Where is the SD card slot of the M1?
There is no dedicated sd card slot. You would have to use a USB adapter.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac
Expression pedal for volume

Hello there,

I’m hoping this is user error so here goes!

I have an EX3 Moog expression pedal going into Exp 1 pedal input and when I go through the routine of pressing the exp button on the front to then route the VCA to the pedal via the Matrix, I can only get the pedal to effect the VCA in reverse I.e. the pedal brings the volume to a lower point when pressed down.

I’ve tried all kinds of different things. Setting the VCA to zero and of course having the pedal set back to zero point before initiating the process. I’ve tried routing the pedal to the master volume. Directly the the amp EG.

Nothing works to get it to be the correct polarity.

Anybody else experienced the same issue?
Old 5 days ago
IAA
Gear Head

Yes, all of us!
There is a workaround posted earlier in this thread. Moog acknowledge this is on the “list”.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

Connect CONSTANT source to VCA LEVEL destination. Apply about -90% amount. Connect EXP Pedal 1 source to VCA LEVEL destination at about +20-30%.
Now it should control the VCA level correctly.
There’s a longer, better post with more info in another Moog ONE thread here about this, including how to save this as a modulation preset, very useful.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Hi guys!
I am not a big user of the sequencer but today I found myself stupid trying (and failing) at something that seems rather simple:
How can I tie two notes separated by a Rest?
I can tie notes in direct sequence but I can’t find a way to tie over one or several rests... ?
There is surely something stupid I am missing :s
Cheers!
Is the solution to enter the note again instead of the rest?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search