The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Moog One - Owners Discussion
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Aiken View Post
This is a very good source of information about the new functions. It was created as a Kurzweil V.A.S.T. tutorial, but much of it applies directly, and many of the functions are the same. http://users.skynet.be/aemit/kurz/funintro.html

Thanks for this! Very helpful for exploring the use cases of these new functions
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

The Moog One is able to sound a bit digital. You may name this VD (virtuel digital):
http://synthy.info/m1p/lister.php
Sound name: Virtual Digital TEK
Old 1 week ago
lxm
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh View Post
I’m sure the One will get MPE

It seems like something in the wheelhouse of those young engineers at Moog
As a once again limnstrument owner I would poop my pants if the one got MPE support.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxm View Post
As a once again limnstrument owner I would poop my pants if the one got MPE support.
TP is pretty precious right now, good thing it will be a bit before it is supported, but rest assured, it is coming.

As a fellow linnstrument owner, I too look forward to that day. Not the pooping part though....
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkJake View Post
TP is pretty precious right now, good thing it will be a bit before it is supported, but rest assured, it is coming.

As a fellow linnstrument owner, I too look forward to that day. Not the pooping part though....
The lead software engineer now working on The One is, I believe, the principle firmware designer of the Linnstrument, and an enthusiast. I have no idea where MPE is on the priority list, but I'd be shocked if it doesn't happen.

I have a rudimentary MPE patch set up on the One using the current OS as proof of concept. I need to do more with it. But essentially - same patch on all 3 synths, and all active so that manual changes can affect all 3 - and set to listen to their own midi channels, 2,3, and 4.
Set the expression however you like, and you have a 3 voice MPE-ish One.

My Linnstrument chops are weak and most of what I do when I get around to playing it is playing fifths in the left hand and lines with bends in the right. So 3 voices is not nothing for someone at my beginner level of Linnstrumentation.

I am drooling over full MPE on The One controlled by the Osmosis.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Indeed, Geert Bevin seems to have a Midas touch on all the instruments in which he is involved, including the One and the Linnstrument. He is certainly a primary in the development and advancement of MPE. I look forward to what he unlocks with the One.

While I am far from a virtuoso on the Linnstrument, that particular controller along with an MPE-compatible synth engine was a revelation to me. Incredibly expressive, even if shaping notes with only a single finger. Using it to control the EaganMatrix in my ContinuuMini yields equally wonderful results and promises great expressiveness is in the future for Osmose patrons.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Indeed, Geert Bevin seems to have a Midas touch on all the instruments in which he is involved, including the One and the Linnstrument. He is certainly a primary in the development and advancement of MPE. I look forward to what he unlocks with the One.

While I am far from a virtuoso on the Linnstrument, that particular controller along with an MPE-compatible synth engine was a revelation to me. Incredibly expressive, even if shaping notes with only a single finger. Using it to control the EaganMatrix in my ContinuuMini yields equally wonderful results and promises great expressiveness is in the future for Osmose patrons.
When the MoogOne gets MPE support would it be viable to ponder about replacing the current keybed with a MPE version? Surely it would be rather extensive mod but add so much expressiveness to the table.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuse View Post
When the MoogOne gets MPE support would it be viable to ponder about replacing the current keybed with a MPE version? Surely it would be rather extensive mod but add so much expressiveness to the table.
I would think it would be more cost effective to use an external keyboard such as the Osmose. That said, it is a bit early in the development cycle for MPE keyboards. I am only aware of the Osmose in terms of a full size, more traditional styled keybed (abet only 4 octaves). Guess we will have to see what is brought to market over the next few years.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

I think this synth may have begun to turn the corner for me. And I mean that in a good way.

I upgraded to 1.3 yesterday and was pleasantly surprised by the overall playability enhancements. Maybe I am just imagining it, but, the overall action and response of the keybed seems far better, at least in my opinion. Seems a bit more immediate and controlled, if that makes any sense. Particularly the aftertouch and velocity response. Again, maybe just me, but I am very pleased with the results of the expression engine refactoring. Bodes well for future refactoring efforts.

Some absolutely lovely patches in this set as well, a very nice job by Logan, Lisa and folks at Moog. My compliments. A lot of expressive, usable sounds in the set.

Last edited by jdkJake; 1 week ago at 08:36 PM.. Reason: Wrong version, doh!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
I upgraded to 1.6 yesterday ...
Most likely 1.3?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwave View Post
Most likely 1.3?
Indeed. Fixed. Thanks.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Maybe I am just imagining it, but, the overall action and response of the keybed seems far better, at least in my opinion. Seems a bit more immediate and controlled, if that makes any sense. Particularly the aftertouch and velocity response. Again, maybe just me, but I am very pleased with the results of the expression engine refactoring. Bodes well for future refactoring efforts.
You're not alone, I've noticed a much better user experience across the system. I wasn't able to verify anything but I feel like theres smoother glide behavior & I'm getting less of the annoying thunky pops on the env. attack stage. Has anyone played with the OSC FM section on the new update? It feels a lot more usable to me. Not discounting the idea that my mind could be playing tricks though
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by drxcm View Post
I'm still waiting for the dust on this to settle. It's been a real show, this thread!
Definitely still curious, but when there are new owners out there still having tuning issues at this point, I can't justify it.
I get some people have 'good ones' but it seems like such a roll of the dice when purchasing.

Waiting for an OS that 'fixes' this synth for everyone, until then, I'm still on the sideline.
Same here...
Old 1 week ago
lxm
Gear Addict

Quote:

Awesome... but why are you so sure? Do you have a secret scoop?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxm View Post
Awesome... but why are you so sure? Do you have a secret scoop?
Well, mainly because Amos said so about a year ago and I have little reason to doubt him.

“Hey Amos.
Does the One support MPE?If not, are there any plans to do so?
Moog has been among the main proponents of the technology.

Amos_MoogMusic

The Moog One will not support MPE at launch (v1.0) but there are absolutely plans to do so.”

Taken from: https://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizer...sign_engineer/
Old 1 week ago
lxm
Gear Addict

Quote:
Well, mainly because Amos said so about a year ago and I have little reason to doubt him.

“Hey Amos.
Does the One support MPE?If not, are there any plans to do so?
Moog has been among the main proponents of the technology.

Amos_MoogMusic

The Moog One will not support MPE at launch (v1.0) but there are absolutely plans to do so.”

Taken from: https://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizer...sign_engineer/
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

The new random keyed modulation source is fantastic. It’s what I really missed from the Prophet ‘08/Rev 2 (not really the same thing but they had a 4 x 16 gated sequencer that could be advanced by key press). Here’s a quick patch:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-dLYRSh...d=3y5xgvnhp3zp
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinamsis View Post
The new random keyed modulation source is fantastic. It’s what I really missed from the Prophet ‘08/Rev 2 (not really the same thing but they had a 4 x 16 gated sequencer that could be advanced by key press). Here’s a quick patch:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-dLYRSh...d=3y5xgvnhp3zp
Cool sound!
what destinations did you use keyed random on?
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan G View Post
Cool sound!
what destinations did you use keyed random on?
I’ll have to double check, but off the top of my head one was definitely noise level. That’s one of my favorite tricks to randomly bring in noise, which makes a patch sound ever so slightly broken haha. Otherwise one went to filter cutoff of the ladder filter, and the same random source went to filter cutoff but with the value inverted on the SVF. The SVF has a fair amount of the filter envelope which give the snappy response on certain notes. The last one might be routed to wave shape of one of the oscillators, but right now I can’t recall! It’s a very fun patch to play, without the arpeggiator as well.

Another good destination is decay or release times of the VCA envelope, but really any of the envelope parameters would probably be interesting, particularly when dialed in at a subtle setting.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Hi all...

I have a little question. How can i identify the version of the moog One. On the pictures the 8 and 16 voice version looks identical.
So how can i see, if i play a 8 or 16 Voice version...

Thx
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlogicUser View Post
Hi all...

I have a little question. How can i identify the version of the moog One. On the pictures the 8 and 16 voice version looks identical.

Thx
Make sure you are displaying the voices in the main window. You should see either 8 or 16.

Or - set Unison voices to 4. If you can play a 3 note chord you have a 16.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
If you get a chance Jamie from Geosynths is doing a live sound design tutorial on the Moog One, worth a look:

Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

I noticed my second one has a massive problem holding its pitch. In the LHC more display, the pitch is drifting from 0 to -80%....

This is unacceptable and this machine is starting to massively piss me off.

Update: It's still doing it. A midi monitor is showing pitch bend data coming from the Moog One. When I move the pitch bend wheel fully up, the LHC display doesn't read 100% pitch at the max up position, but mostly a value between 75-100% and down it goes to 100% or 99%.
Guess I have another hardware issue with Moog One number two...fantastic.

Another hour later: It hasn't sent any more pitch bend data all by itself for a while now. Pitch Wheel fully up now shows 100% and down it goes to 98, then 99, then 100%....can anyone else replicate this weird issue?
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

My pitch bend wheel I cant use , I had it repaired but it’s faulty still , starts at 7% so it’s unusable for now , waiting to replace the whole mechanism but with the coronavirus I’ll have to wait until when ???
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alembic View Post
...can anyone else replicate this weird issue?
Not here on mine.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlogicUser View Post
Hi all...

Thx
The first digits of serial number will indicate 08 or 16

Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwave View Post
Not here on mine.
It happens sporatically. I've played it for two hours today, then it started again. Before it started the pitch was absolutely stable...then the LHC menu showed -3% then -4% again and pitching was limited to =50-60% when the wheel was fully up. This ruined my evening...I'm so annoyed, because this is the second one already and it's a lot of hassle to exchange that machine or have it repaired and experiences like this are so frustrating, I'd like to take a hammer and smash that crappy POS into pieces right now.

The QC at Moog is terrible, so is after sale support. I want my money back.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
It happens sporatically. I've played it for two hours today, then it started again. Before it started the pitch was absolutely stable...then the LHC menu showed -3% then -4% again and pitching was limited to =50-60% when the wheel was fully up. This ruined my evening...I'm so annoyed, because this is the second one already and it's a lot of hassle to exchange that machine or have it repaired and experiences like this are so frustrating, I'd like to take a hammer and smash that crappy POS into pieces right now.

The QC at Moog is terrible, so is after sale support. I want my money back.
Maybe I am just having a brain fart, but what is the LHC menu?
And what does it mean when you say that "pitching was limited to =50-60% when the wheel was fully up"?
Can you be really specific about your issue(s)? If you are talking about tuning issues in the low end with sawthooth wavs, no amount of replacing the machine will help you - you need to wait for "the fix", or decide to not do so.
But that is not a machine repair.
Reading this, I am unclear as to what your issue really is. And again - maybe a brain fart on my part, not anything wrong with your description.
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Aiken View Post
Maybe I am just having a brain fart, but what is the LHC menu?
And what does it mean when you say that "pitching was limited to =50-60% when the wheel was fully up"?
Can you be really specific about your issue(s)? If you are talking about tuning issues in the low end with sawthooth wavs, no amount of replacing the machine will help you - you need to wait for "the fix", or decide to not do so.
But that is not a machine repair.
Reading this, I am unclear as to what your issue really is. And again - maybe a brain fart on my part, not anything wrong with your description.
If you press the more button in the LCH, you get to the screen I've refered to, sorry for not being clear.
There you can see the amount of modulation from each controller, mod wheel, pitch wheel, x/y pad ...
The pitch display goes from -100 to +100% and it should read 0 if you don't touch the pitch bend wheel. Now that's where I get a readout of the values I've been talking about and the machine can do a TWANG pitchbend all of a sudden sometimes at extremes, while the number there show values going off according to the sound and without my interference.
But it can be sporadic...like it remained stable at 0 for two hours today and then it got all funky again.

EDIT: If you hook up a midi monitor like that of Midiquest or Logic, you can monitor the output over time. Would be interesting to see if more owners get a readout as I remember that it was mentioned that sometimes the machine can get wonky when in low fan mode. Now, I've had it on normal but today I had it on low and it was better than before, but I guess it doesn't have anything to do with my issue and I just was unlucky yet again.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you press the more button in the LCH, you get to the screen I've refered to, sorry for not being clear.
There you can see the amount of modulation from each controller, mod wheel, pitch wheel, x/y pad ...
The pitch display goes from -100 to +100% and it should read 0 if you don't touch the pitch bend wheel. Now that's where I get a readout of the values I've been talking about and the machine can do a TWANG pitchbend all of a sudden sometimes at extremes, while the number there show values going off according to the sound and without my interference.
But it can be sporadic...like it remained stable at 0 for two hours today and then it got all funky again.

EDIT: If you hook up a midi monitor like that of Midiquest or Logic, you can monitor the output over time. Would be interesting to see if more owners get a readout as I remember that it was mentioned that sometimes the machine can get wonky when in low fan mode. Now, I've had it on normal but today I had it on low and it was better than before, but I guess it doesn't have anything to do with my issue and I just was unlucky yet again.
OK - I totally get you now - your pitch bend wheel is sending values when it is not supposed to - or the machine thinks it is. Seems like a physical issue..
A midi monitor is a good idea - if you see and hear the errant pitch been values internally, if it is the actual wheel, you will see the same bend information being transmitted.
It almost has to be that, because if it were a software issue everybody else would be experiencing the same thing. But it could be something other than the wheel itself.
Also - when you are experiencing this, is the One connected to anything via Midi or USB? If so, try disconnecting. You could rule out something else passing it the bad bend data.
Good luck.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search