The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Moog One - Owners Discussion
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewis_13 View Post
I'm still browsing presets trying to figure out how this thing works. I'm spending about 30% of that time tweaking gain on synth timbre levels, Osc mixes, FX mixes, FX gains, etc... (some FX delays have size and stuff set to 0 so you can't hear them until you tweak them). The gain on these presets are freaking all over the place and half of them sound broken because of it. Seems like the main 64 factory patches should be consistent.

Just had a "one of my voices is way out of tune" problem. 8V model just upgraded to 1.0.5. I think it was of the "it's been on a long time" variety.

I'm struggling... and in the back of my mind I keep saying "If you don't absolutely love this, it's too much money". Dammit.
Actually, some of the presets are very good and they are authored by some very creative folks. You should look at the hour long sound design videos on the Moog YouTube channel. The preset authors are there describing how they put together the particular sounds and it’s a good way to begin understanding the capabilities of the One.

That being said, there is a lot of detritus also but fortunately they’re easy to spot.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveElbows View Post
Sorry for invading the owners thread again but I really dislike talking about CPU in that way with this sort of instrument.

The C in CPU is central, and there is likely nothing central about the way different powers of this synth are distributed.

What would actually count as the CPU in the Moog One is likely an ARM chip, and its mission is to handle the screen, UI and communication with the actual synth parts, etc. Such ARM processors are available in increasingly powerful forms, but can still usually be passively cooled and arent eating the Watts much at all.

Its the voice architecture thats eating a lot of the watts in the Moog One and generating the heat, and whatever the technical detail of these parts, CPU is not something that springs to mind.

When I am planning the cooling of a modern pweorful x86 computer, I have to consider the cooling mechanism for the CPU, the GPU and other fans that provide suitable airflow in and out of the case. The Moog One is not so straightforward, there isnt a single CPU that I can target most of my thermal solutions at. It would be more comparable to the overall system case airflow issues, but with broader physical areas that require active cooling.
Dude, who are you? That was an awesome post!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Live Stream with the Moog One

Did a Live Stream last night with the Moog One. It goes on a bit, but played some Patches I've made and started a Patch from Scratch.

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by magikroom View Post
Did a Live Stream last night with the Moog One. It goes on a bit, but played some Patches I've made and started a Patch from Scratch.

Jamie, good session last night, more on the One please, it's going to take near a life time to dig into this beast! Also looking forward to your review.

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk9009kk View Post
Dude, who are you? That was an awesome post!
Just a nerd with too much time on my hands and sadly no Moog One at the moment. If I did have one and wasnt afraid to open it, then I would be very tempted to get a thermal camera so I could see a picture of the situation, but I dont, and I'm also not skilled in these matters. I dont really have enough information to make posts that sound like I know what I am talking about with the thermal realities of the Moog One, but I can and do drone on about ways of thinking about that stuff that I dont think are a good fit for the actual architecture of this synth.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

1.0.6 update released without any formal announcement so far. Lots of good fixes and improvements listed! On Moog’s site.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwalkerjr View Post
1.0.6 update released without any formal announcement so far. Lots of good fixes and improvements listed! On Moog’s site.
Feel free to copy and paste what is new.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

First item in the V1.0.6 release notes improvements list:

Quote:
1. Improvements to background tuning / low-note tuning.
So there is hope. Warming up my Moog One right now. The update is already on my USB-stick.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firechild View Post
Feel free to copy and paste what is new.
Here are the release notes (without the update manual and the list of known limitations:
V1.0.6 RELEASE NOTES

IMPROVEMENTS
1. Improvements to background tuning / low-note tuning.
2. Sequencer STEP EDIT: MODULATIONS view now visually distinguishes between a blank step (“-“) and a mod value of 0.
3. The effect of parameter modulation from the Sequencer is reset to consistent starting values when restarting playback of the Sequence.
4. LOAD Sequence panel: “SORT BY” buttons now toggle between ascending and descending order, with repeated presses.
5. SHIFT + KEYBOARD CONTROL “ON” button-combo now always toggles Timbre “enable” on/off, regardless of KEYBOARD CONTROL “ON” state for that Timbre.
6. SOLO function (SHIFT + one or more PANEL FOCUS buttons) now toggles on/off more consistently. 7. Updated new 1.0.4 presets to final versions; tagged with Group name “1.0.4”

NEW FEATURES
1. New SETTINGS parameter LCD DIM AMOUNT sets the LCD brightness after 30 minutes of idle time (“screen saver”) - can set as low as zero to turn LCD off when idle.
2. Sequencer MORE page: RESET SEQUENCE button has new SHIFT function, INITIALIZE SEQUENCE (resets all sequencer settings to default in addition to clearing the sequence note/modulation data).
3. Added more Effects Presets for Stereo Chorus and Stereo Flanger effects. BUG FIXES
1. Fixed bug where patches using hard-sync could cause tuning issues lasting until reboot
2. Apollo Strings factory preset has Master Effect 2 (Eventide Shimmer) Pitch Decay turned down below “Freeze/Infinite” setting (your existing preset will not be modified; you’d need to create a new User Space using the CREATE FACTORY option to get the updated version).
3. Performance Set MORE page: wrong preset could be highlighted on entering this page; now only displays a highlight if the currently-active preset is contained in the Performance Set.
4. Sequencer UI (MORE page and Step Edit views) updated properly in all cases when changing the sequence length 5. Changed Osc1 Mix Knob MIDI output from CC 38 to CC 52 to not conflict with Data Entry LSB CC.
6. Panel knob MIDI CC output now respects the synth panel focus.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Version 1.0.6 brings my Moog One 16v back to super good tuning, even in the bass range.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Someone on the Facebook group said the production run was 2,000 synths and then they would stop. They are now at about 1,000.

I don’t know how accurate that is or the source so let’s call it a rumor.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Amos already said they had delivered over a 1000 units so I wouldn't take that f-book comment that serious.

The 1.0.6 update is pretty sweet and the Moog One is in a good place atm for me.

A buddy of mine told me that in Europe a lot of people are still waiting for their units to be delivered. Maybe the 8v versions are a little more sold in Europa than in the US.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

A very solid update, with more to come. I look forward though, to their being able to focus on large new features.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Tuning rock solid on mine too. As an FYI, I just received a replacement unit from Sweetwater as they preferred to just send me a new one rather than have me fix the output board. I now have a 100% working One and it is serial 850, so I think his estimate was a little higher than the actual output to date as this just got to Sweetwater last week and shipped out overnight to me.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwalkerjr View Post
Tuning rock solid on mine too. As an FYI, I just received a replacement unit from Sweetwater as they preferred to just send me a new one rather than have me fix the output board. I now have a 100% working One and it is serial 850, so I think his estimate was a little higher than the actual output to date as this just got to Sweetwater last week and shipped out overnight to me.
Wouldn't that be 850 of the 8 or 16v model, whichever you have?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The FM and hard sync still seem to be broken, but not the tuning between presets. Just tuning in presets where you try to combine those. And FM in general just doesn't seem to be working right to me quite yet in certain scenarios.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Aiken View Post
Wouldn't that be 850 of the 8 or 16v model, whichever you have?
16V, but I get what you're saying and I wasn't considering the combined amount.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Now that the key bug is squashed (tuning), I’m really looking forward to what they can do with pattern switching as they build out features.

Assigning patterns to keys or preset buttons and then remixing in real time with step jumping and other sequencer modes would be insane.

The sequencer with the screen really is the secret weapon of the Moog One IMO.

Last edited by drockfresh; 3 weeks ago at 04:55 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I look forward to checking out the tuning. I do wish they'd fix the mix and gain in effects though. I notice in some effects that the volume drops the closer you get to 50% Mix in synth effects. That is an error in how they are mixing.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh View Post
Someone on the Facebook group said the production run was 2,000 synths and then they would stop. They are now at about 1,000.

I don’t know how accurate that is or the source so let’s call it a rumor.
Pure cuckcoo land, spend 5 years or more in developement, $kkkkkkkkks investment and then only 2000!! Pure fantsy.

Typical facebook post!!!

The Moog One in one variety or another will be with us for years, a bit like the modulars.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukvoyager View Post
Pure cuckcoo land, spend 5 years or more in developement, $kkkkkkkkks investment and then only 2000!! Pure fantsy.

Typical facebook post!!!

The Moog One in one variety or another will be with us for years, a bit like the modulars.
Oh yeah I’m getting a chrome plated One
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Filter tuning is the next basic need in my book. Not discussed a lot, and not as important as the oscillator tuning obviously, but something to address.

To wit: set the Ladder filter to self oscillate, with filter tracking at 100% and shut off the oscillators. Playing up and down the keyboard you can readily hear the tuning.
In practice it is not enough when NOT self-resonating to make certain notes prohibitively different than others. But takes one trick out of the arsenal.

Wish list:
LFOs and Envelopes to CV out
Detune knob as a modulation destination
Effects parameters as modulation destinations, and really if nothing else just delay time, feedback, and mix.
Global LFO (meaning just per synth, not necessarily for all 3) - This should be so easy to implement, and is so useful. It is great having LFO per voice, but sometimes you want 1 LFO modulating the filter for everything. Was messing with this last week using an external LFO. (And Envelope)
Voice number and Unison number as mod sources. The first is obvious, but the 2nd I only know of from the DM12, and it is pretty potent. Basically if you are playing in unison mode with say, 3 voice unison, those 3 unison voices can be modulated differently. So you can slightly offset LFO speeds, or the pitch, or anything else for them.

And then probably stuff that the architecture may not even support - Inserts behaving as in-line inserts as opposed to sends. Modulation modifiers acting on the source as opposed to the destination. (So for example, only velocities or aftertouch in a certain range affect the destination, as opposed to the amount of modulation itself being restricted.)

And then....stuff I haven't even thought of.
Old 3 weeks ago
I really wish they'd fix the bug that consistently causes me to write horrible songs.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukvoyager View Post

Typical facebook post!!!

They will manufacture them until it no longer makes sense to do so.

I would conjecture that there will be a smaller poly, based on the One's oscillators, filters, and gui....maybe 8V monotimbral, priced just higher than the OB6 and P6 showing up in a couple of years. Far enough out to not hurt One sales, but with the R&D costs largely paid for, a way to hit a slightly different market niche.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I concur with most other listed improvement and feature desires but today’s new found tuning stability really takes the One to a new level for me today. That with what seems to be, finally, a hardware defect free unit of course. Great day.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh View Post
Oh yeah I’m getting a chrome plated One
I think I would prefer the aluminium ONE.....

Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Did everyone who has stable tuning in 1.0.6 do all the voodoo with warming up and new user spaces, or did you just update normally and still have stable tuning?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktree View Post
Did everyone who has stable tuning in 1.0.6 do all the voodoo with warming up and new user spaces, or did you just update normally and still have stable tuning?
I ran mine for 10 mins before updating and then created a new user space post update. Tuning appears good but then mines just an 8 voice!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by franktree View Post
I always let it heat up for thirty minuets first to be 100% stable as I knew it would run a tuning update. I also did a new user space as they recommended it in their user notes to fix some preset issues. Be sure to copy your own presets out first of the old one if you use that space if you plan to delete the old one like I did.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Tuning problems continuing in 1.0.6

Hello all.

Apologies - posted somehow too soon - I'll get used to this shortly!

Long time lurker here - this is my first post on GS. I have had one of the first batch of M1 16v to enter the UK - serial no. in the low 500s. It immediately had a hardware problem with OSC1 octave control - went for a fix and came back with that corrected.

I have been suffering the poor tuning in the lower registers and just wanted to record that 1.0.6 is not working for me. I warmed the machine up for at least 30 minutes. Installed 1.0.6. Created new factory userspace. Reinstalled my own patches.

Tuning problems in lower register are repeatable by creating an INIT patch, going for the 6ms saws on each osc and then noodling around for a very short time. Random voices (it seems to me) generate one or other osc which is between +.3 to +.5 out - sounds horrible.

Did I do anything wrong, do you think? The only thing I didn't do according to the book is I didn't delete the old userspaces before playing in the new factory one I'd created - that doesn't seem to me like a particular cause.

Am I just being too picky do you think? I'm aware that analog VCOs are meant to be randomly out here or there. My other analogs with VCOs - a Moog Prodigy and a Roland MKS 80 - just do not have that problem. I appreciate they've got fewer oscs and voices to choose from - however, when I got that result from the Roland it was because one of the 3340 chips was dying - replaced by my tech and has been fine since.

I do love the machine apart from this - and I've supported Moog a long way by keeping a machine with an obvious hardware fault out of the box. But I'm frustrated and disappointed.

Comments welcome and apologies for the stuttering entrance due to knocking the return key while posting!

52 VCOs.

Last edited by 52 VCOs; 3 weeks ago at 09:35 PM.. Reason: Sorry - hit return too soon!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search