The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Oberheim OB-8
Old 19th March 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

One other more practical solution to the impossibly expensive/hard to find FVS/eight-voice is the new Oakley ASV modules in MU modular format. They are not 1:1 SEM clones, but have a similar filter and can be bought pre-built for ~500 UKP. Eight of those and a case/PSU and you are still looking at less cost than an OB-X.
Old 19th March 2020
Lives for gear

Besides all the beautiful mountains and delicious chocolate, I need to go to Switzerland to get a great deal on a vintage synth apparently. I keep hearing about all the sweet prices there. If anyone finds an OB-X for under $7k in perfect working order there, the wife and I are taking a Swiss vacation to go pick it up.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgearguy View Post
I don't know. I owned an Eight Voice for a number of years. Yes, it has a glorious sound. Yes, it is a royal pain to change to a new sound and adjust everything (even with the programmer module) so it sounded right when playing chords. I tend to leave it on one patch for long periods of time.

In this day, if money was no object, I'd buy OB-X and OB-8 or maybe split it and buy an OB-Xa and a Two Voice.
if you want good sound you have to suffer .. of course not for the "where is the sysexdump, it has CC ?" people.
I only say the ulimative Oberheim in terms of sound .. the sem clones do not have the same level.
it's about half as bad as a poly boog system ..you can save certain parameters somewhat globally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ruff View Post
was that in switzerland? Was interested in that
yes in the area of lake geneva ... what do you mean you were interested?
vlz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum7 View Post
The OB8 was delivered today and the delivery experience was much better this time as opposed to my injured Korg Trident last week. The guy sent it very well packed in a large flight case. I powered her up and she sounds beautifully Oberheim. Instantly I can hear a difference in the grittyness of the saw waves as opposed to my new and clean sounding OB6. My OB8 is also in impecable physical condition and the face looks nearly new. I plan on getting the OB Sound Quest editor this week and look forward to expoloring the OB8.

I have it temporarily sitting in back, but will be moving it onto the stand with the 2 white synths, where the OB8 will be on the bottom, the 002 in the middle, and teh moog on top. The Prophet P12Le will have to go up on Reverb to help offset some of the costs of the OB8......not to mention I'm running out of roon.
That's a neat photo of your rig. Congrats!
Old 22nd March 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

OK, here is my first Oberheim OB-8 demo. I decided to recreate Enya's haunting theme song from Steven King's Sleepwalkers soundtrack called, "Boadicea". I hope that you enjoy it.

https://youtu.be/fNL0tlxcTSM
Attached Thumbnails
Oberheim OB-8-1.jpg  
Lives for gear

Quote:
OK, here is my first Oberheim OB-8 demo. I decided to recreate Enya's haunting theme song from Steven King's Sleepwalkers soundtrack called, "Boadicea". I hope that you enjoy it.

https://youtu.be/fNL0tlxcTSM
Very nice! I love Enya's music. I have my choir students sing several of her songs.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Knoch View Post
Very nice! I love Enya's music. I have my choir students sing several of her songs.
Thanks!

Yeah, I still remember in 1988 when Orinoco Flow came out while I was living in Southern California and it was playing on the radio stations nearly once an hour.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks!

Yeah, I still remember in 1988 when Orinoco Flow came out while I was living in Southern California and it was playing on the radio stations nearly once an hour.
Nice! But a point of correction: Boadicea is from the soundtrack to The Celts/Enya’s first album.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ruff View Post
Nice! But a point of correction: Boadicea is from the soundtrack to The Celts/Enya’s first album.
Yeah, I know. It was actually reissued in 1992 coinciding its use in 1992’s Sleepwalker.

From Wikipedia-

In 1992, after Enya gained worldwide commercial success with her following two albums Watermark (1988) and Shepherd Moons (1991) for Warner Music, Enya was remastered by Arun Chakraverty and redesigned with new artwork designed by Sooky Choi with photography by David Scheinmann.[7] The album was reissued on 16 November 1992 as The Celts by WEA[13] in Europe and Reprise Records in the United States. The Celts outperformed its original sales, reaching a new peak of No. 10 on the UK Albums Chart for two weeks from the week of 28 November 1992. It returned for two separate weeks 1993, one week in 1996, and six consecutive weeks in 1998.[11] In the United States, the album sold a further one million copies. It contains a new version of "Portrait" that is named "Portrait (Out of the Blue)", which was originally released as the B-side to Enya's 1988 worldwide hit single, "Orinoco Flow".[7] In 2009, The Celts had a limited Japanese reissue on Super High Material CD with "Eclipse" added as a bonus track.
Old 23rd March 2020 | Show parent
Deleted a2500d9
Quote:
The OB8 was delivered today and the delivery experience was much better this time as opposed to my injured Korg Trident last week. The guy sent it very well packed in a large flight case. I powered her up and she sounds beautifully Oberheim. Instantly I can hear a difference in the grittyness of the saw waves as opposed to my new and clean sounding OB6. My OB8 is also in impecable physical condition and the face looks nearly new. I plan on getting the OB Sound Quest editor this week and look forward to expoloring the OB8.

I have it temporarily sitting in back, but will be moving it onto the stand with the 2 white synths, where the OB8 will be on the bottom, the 002 in the middle, and teh moog on top. The Prophet P12Le will have to go up on Reverb to help offset some of the costs of the OB8......not to mention I'm running out of roon.

What’s your initial impressions of OB-8 vs Trident ?
📝 Reply