The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Oberheim OB-8
Old 8th March 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianob View Post
As someone mentioned earlier, the OB8 (the majority of them) used a Panasonic keybed that gets really noisy ‘clacky’ with age.

Oooooh yeah, I forgot about the keyboard. It was pretty clacky. I loved the OB-8 I used back then. I liked it better than the Xpander at the time.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianob View Post
As someone mentioned earlier, the OB8 (the majority of them) used a Panasonic keybed that gets really noisy ‘clacky’ with age. This is hard to fix (was never able to get mine restored) and , if you are a keyboard player, makes for extremely unpleasant action and quite a racket too. Of course you can play back over midi, but with something so huge the appeal really lies in sitting n front of it and playing the controls - or it’s the world’s largest midi sound module :/
The other two have keyboards that (while it’s a tedious job) can be restored fairly simply.
Worth keeping in mind if you are a playing musician
The clackyness is because the bushings dry out and rot with age. If you replace and lube the bushings, it fixes the clackyness right away and the keybed plays like butter. I've done it to mine and it's great.

There's a guy (his name evades me at the moment) but he's managed to mod fatar keybeds to work on the Pro One. I bought one and it's amazing and makes the Pro One a new instrument. Over the past few months he's supposedly been working on a mod for fatar keybeds for the OB8 and it's supposed to come out this summer so I'm looking forward to that. That'll be an amazing swap for my OB8.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
Looking around my studio I see a Jupiter 8, a Prophet 5, a Pro One, an Oberheim SEM, an Oberheim OB-8, an Arp Odyssey, a Minimoog (My girlfriend bought me the minimoog! ), a Fender Rhodes, and an Elka Rhapsody. And I haven't even gotten to my rack yet.
Wow! Have you ever considered moving to Boise? I would love to have you as a neighbor. We could take turns synth jamming out one another’s studio.

Quote:
On top of it, Quantum's crippled or has a sh!t back or something....The guy deserves to spend his money on what makes him happy
Thanks.
Old 8th March 2020
Lives for gear

OB8 owners- Are there any OB8 editors/patch organizers out there for organizing sounds to be transferred to and from the OB8 via MIDI sysex?
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by pppch View Post
midi clock for what? understand the z80 somehow does not know this command.

here is a relaxing report on how to properly care for the synth

Oberheim OB8 (how to make it survive next 10 and more years)

It is interesting that there is a "MIDI CC support for controlling all patch parameters, MIDI clocking of the arpeggiator is now possible, notes can be configured as half, quarter, eighth, or sixteenth notes" firmware update, unfortunately still beta.
The MIDI clock was switched on to control my machinedrum and as the OB-8 was the controller I couldn't prevent the clock going through it.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajman View Post
The MIDI clock was switched on to control my machinedrum and as the OB-8 was the controller I couldn't prevent the clock going through it.
OB-8 was the controller.. lol.. strange setup.. then it becomes difficult even with midi filtering ..
but with this firmware update that should also work.
Lives for gear

Quote:
The clackyness is because the bushings dry out and rot with age. If you replace and lube the bushings, it fixes the clackyness right away and the keybed plays like butter. I've done it to mine and it's great.

There's a guy (his name evades me at the moment) but he's managed to mod fatar keybeds to work on the Pro One. I bought one and it's amazing and makes the Pro One a new instrument. Over the past few months he's supposedly been working on a mod for fatar keybeds for the OB8 and it's supposed to come out this summer so I'm looking forward to that. That'll be an amazing swap for my OB8.
Apologies for hijacking, but...

I am selling one of these modified Pro Ones, also has Turbo MIDI upgrade. If anyone is interested, I have the eBay ad up in the Gearslutz classifieds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum7 View Post
OB8 owners- Are there any OB8 editors/patch organizers out there for organizing sounds to be transferred to and from the OB8 via MIDI sysex?
Midi Quest
Old 9th March 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you have lots of synths, especially racks, consider SoundQuest MidiQuest. They come in 3 different versions, $160-$400. IMO, it's absolutely worth it so I don't have to move about in the studio and menu dive in racks. The 1-man support is great and usually the same day. Some more common synth GUIs have been re-designed and it supports Moog Voyager and several DSI's. Actually the price of admission could be that he keep these prices high to avoid users who don't understand midi and aren't willing to learn. As far as how it will work with your OB8, it depends on the kind of MIDI installed. MidiQuest has the most boring but very thorough video tutorials on the planet.

You can still do the cassette thing, however I think transferring to CD and doing it via CD might bring you into the late 80s. Check with Michael on how the OB8 works with MQ12. I think it could be simple Sysex, but I only have the very basic MIDI kit installed in mine.

Most importantly, the OB8 has many hidden and crazy functions that go far beyond the 2nd page.
https://www.newallianceeast.com/blog...auxiliary-info

Have fun!
Old 9th March 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggybud View Post
If you have lots of synths, especially racks, consider SoundQuest MidiQuest. They come in 3 different versions, $160-$400. IMO, it's absolutely worth it so I don't have to move about in the studio and menu dive in racks. The 1-man support is great and usually the same day. Some more common synth GUIs have been re-designed and it supports Moog Voyager and several DSI's. Actually the price of admission could be that he keep these prices high to avoid users who don't understand midi and aren't willing to learn. As far as how it will work with your OB8, it depends on the kind of MIDI installed. MidiQuest has the most boring but very thorough video tutorials on the planet.

You can still do the cassette thing, however I think transferring to CD and doing it via CD might bring you into the late 80s. Check with Michael on how the OB8 works with MQ12. I think it could be simple Sysex, but I only have the very basic MIDI kit installed in mine.

Most importantly, the OB8 has many hidden and crazy functions that go far beyond the 2nd page.
https://www.newallianceeast.com/blog...auxiliary-info

Have fun!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BM0 View Post
Midi Quest
Thank you both!
Old 12th March 2020
Lives for gear

The OB8 was delivered today and the delivery experience was much better this time as opposed to my injured Korg Trident last week. The guy sent it very well packed in a large flight case. I powered her up and she sounds beautifully Oberheim. Instantly I can hear a difference in the grittyness of the saw waves as opposed to my new and clean sounding OB6. My OB8 is also in impecable physical condition and the face looks nearly new. I plan on getting the OB Sound Quest editor this week and look forward to expoloring the OB8.

I have it temporarily sitting in back, but will be moving it onto the stand with the 2 white synths, where the OB8 will be on the bottom, the 002 in the middle, and teh moog on top. The Prophet P12Le will have to go up on Reverb to help offset some of the costs of the OB8......not to mention I'm running out of roon.
Old 12th March 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
The OB8 was delivered today and the delivery experience was much better this time as opposed to my injured Korg Trident last week. The guy sent it very well packed in a large flight case. I powered her up and she sounds beautifully Oberheim. Instantly I can hear a difference in the grittyness of the saw waves as opposed to my new and clean sounding OB6. My OB8 is also in impecable physical condition and the face looks nearly new. I plan on getting the OB Sound Quest editor this week and look forward to expoloring the OB8.

I have it temporarily sitting in back, but will be moving it onto the stand with the 2 white synths, where the OB8 will be on the bottom, the 002 in the middle, and teh moog on top. The Prophet P12Le will have to go up on Reverb to help offset some of the costs of the OB8......not to mention I'm running out of roon.
Gratz! Looks great in the room! The OB-8 is pretty bulletproof and holds its tuning well so you shouldn't have many problems.

Also, DO spend time familiarizing yourself with the Page 2 functions. They're not just some tacked on things - they can do a lot of cool stuff. You can detune EVERY voice from each other on page 2 (on page 1, detune is just one oscillator from the other), you can change the behavior of the portamento from tight and equally timed, to sloppy and analog which sounds like a swarm of bees, you can also change the portamento to be quantized by pitch so it stairsteps. You can reverse the phase of one oscillator so that if you're modulating the pulse width on a square wave on osc 1 and 2, they'll modulate in opposite directions which give the OB8 an ability to get the most amazing silky strings on the planet.

Also on page 2, you can disable individual voices, so for example if you have a problem with voice 4, you can disable it and still use the synth with no problems. Or you can choose to make it a 6 voice or a 4 voice. That's especially cool if the synth is in unison because you can choose how many voices you want for the unison in case you feel the unison sound is too fat or overpowering. Even cooler, you can disable 7 of the voices so that just 1 is active and play it like a monosynth if you need monosynth parts and get real monosynth behavior, like subsequent notes cutting off the one before it.

There's a ton of features on page 2 that really make the OB8 stand head and shoulders above even most modern analogs.

Anyway - enjoy it! They sound great - I use mine daily.
Lives for gear

Beautiful @ Quantum7 ! The OB-8 is my all time favorite Analog. Had one to play in the early 80's. So many lovely tones. I'll have to settle for a UB-Xa someday...
Old 12th March 2020
Lives for gear

Looks great Q, how much you getting for the albino 12
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Rob Lowe View Post
Looks great Q, how much you getting for the albino 12
I hate to sell P12le (albino edition) because I've barely laid a hand on it in the 3 months I've had it. I haven't the slightest idea what I'll be asking for it.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWriter View Post
Beautiful @ Quantum7 ! The OB-8 is my all time favorite Analog. Had one to play in the early 80's. So many lovely tones. I'll have to settle for a UB-Xa someday...
I'll be curious how that comes out whenever it is released. If it doesn't have 5 octaves though, and you cannot properly play "Jump", then forget about it!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Gratz! Looks great in the room! The OB-8 is pretty bulletproof and holds its tuning well so you shouldn't have many problems.

Also, DO spend time familiarizing yourself with the Page 2 functions. They're not just some tacked on things - they can do a lot of cool stuff. You can detune EVERY voice from each other on page 2 (on page 1, detune is just one oscillator from the other), you can change the behavior of the portamento from tight and equally timed, to sloppy and analog which sounds like a swarm of bees, you can also change the portamento to be quantized by pitch so it stairsteps. You can reverse the phase of one oscillator so that if you're modulating the pulse width on a square wave on osc 1 and 2, they'll modulate in opposite directions which give the OB8 an ability to get the most amazing silky strings on the planet.

Also on page 2, you can disable individual voices, so for example if you have a problem with voice 4, you can disable it and still use the synth with no problems. Or you can choose to make it a 6 voice or a 4 voice. That's especially cool if the synth is in unison because you can choose how many voices you want for the unison in case you feel the unison sound is too fat or overpowering. Even cooler, you can disable 7 of the voices so that just 1 is active and play it like a monosynth if you need monosynth parts and get real monosynth behavior, like subsequent notes cutting off the one before it.

There's a ton of features on page 2 that really make the OB8 stand head and shoulders above even most modern analogs.

Anyway - enjoy it! They sound great - I use mine daily.
Thanks! Page 2 - I'm hoping that perhaps I can temporarily use a label maker to create labels for it.....hopefully not damage the face whenever they need to be removed.

QUESTIONS FOR ALL MY FELLOW OB8 OWNERS-

1. How can I get the factory patches? The guy who had it pretty much wrote over most of them. Hopefully tomorrow I'll be buying the Sound Quest OB8 Editor for $49. The guy did give me a cassette player and some cassettes, but he never used them in the 35 years since he bought the OB8 new.

2. Most of the knobs are very tight - any way to loosen them some?

3. I have noticed that some of the envelope knobs need to be turned back and forth before they do what they're supposed to do- is this a common issue? If so, any way to rectify the problem?

Thanks!

Last edited by Quantum7; 12th March 2020 at 05:15 AM..
Gear Maniac

Quote:

1. How can I get the factory patches?

3. I have noticed that some of the envelope knobs need to be turned back and forth before they do what they're supposed to do- is this a common issue? If so, any way to rectify the problem?

Thanks!
Answers:

1. http://analog.no/wp/index.php/factory-patches-oberheim/

2. Open it up and use liberal Deoxit and Faderlube if needed to the pots. They are easy to get to.

3. That is the way the OBs are designed. You have to turn any of the pots real far to tell the CPU you are making a change (and not just "bumped" the pot). It is mentioned in the manual.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks! Page 2 - I'm hoping that perhaps I can temporarily use a label maker to create labels for it.....hopefully not damage the face whenever they need to be removed.

QUESTIONS FOR ALL MY FELLOW OB8 OWNERS-

1. How can I get the factory patches? The guy who had it pretty much wrote over most of them. Hopefully tomorrow I'll be buying the Sound Quest OB8 Editor for $49. The guy did give me a cassette player and some cassettes, but he never used them in the 35 years since he bought the OB8 new.

Thanks!
2. The lube they used for the pots has the side effect of turning to glue over time. Almost immovable knobs is a thing with the Oberheims. Sometimes it fixes itself when the weather gets warm or you might have to open it up and clean the pot.

3. It's a "safety" thing for the presets. The knobs don't register a change to the patch until you twist it all the way to the left to its zero point which resets the knob and lets the CPU know that you're making a change to the patch. It's normal behavior for the OB8 and mentioned in the manual. Of course once you twist the knob to its zero point the knob is now "unlocked", the CPU now knows you're making a change to the saved patch and all other movements, however tiny will be registered.

It sounds like overkill, but definitely read the manual top to bottom and then some. There's plenty the OB8 can do that isn't evident by a long shot on the front panel. You can even reverse the pitch bend behavior.
Old 12th March 2020
Gear Nut

Congrats, that OB8 looks absolutely great! Looks classy in your music room as well.
I really dig the blue accent lighting, a nice touch.

I learned a lot reading through this thread, and thanks to Ionian for pointing out all the extra page 2 features that I didn't even know existed.
Pretty deep stuff for way back then!

As far as adding labels, I use a Brother P-Touch that you can hook up to a computer.
You can really customize size and font, and if you cut close around the print, you can hardly tell that it's a label. Easily removed at any point in the future as well. You'd probably want white print on clear tape.

Hope it makes some great music with you.
Gear Maniac

Quote:

As far as I know not only the patches but also the calibration data for the OB-8 is encoded in the audiofiles available on the internet.
If you play back an audiofile you downloaded from the internet into your cassette interface that might mess up your OB-8s calibration.

It's safer to use SysEx to restore the patches.

I think you have to enter Page 2 mode and activate Group A button to enable program dump.
Then play back the SysEx file. Factory bank is also available on f0f7.net
Lives for gear

Quote:
The OB8 was delivered today... I have it temporarily sitting in back, but will be moving it onto the stand with the 2 white synths, where the OB8 will be on the bottom, the 002 in the middle, and the moog on top.
Congrats on the new baby.

In terms of your current roster of polysynths then, I'm seeing...
  • Oberheim OB8
  • Baloran The River
  • Modal 002
  • Korg Trident
  • DSI Prophet 12Le
  • Sequential OB6
Is that it, or do you have any more squirrelled away!
Quote:
Originally Posted by solitud View Post
As far as I know not only the patches but also the calibration data for the OB-8 is encoded in the audiofiles available on the internet.
If you play back an audiofile you downloaded from the internet into your cassette interface that might mess up your OB-8s calibration.

I think you have to enter Page 2 mode and activate Group A button to enable program dump.
Yeah, calibration is stored in tape backup.

The knob positions change relative to the value stored in the program ± the knob position. So if the value of the program is at say 60 and the knob position is at 98%, turning it clockwise 100% will set the value to 62 and turning counter clockwise will hit 0 at 38%. As mentioned, turn full way both directions to clear. It's annoying at first, but you get used to it.

The OB-8 is capable of quite a bit when you experiment with Page 2, unison and double programs.
Being able to easily turn off voices comes in handy to for unison patches where you don't want all 8 voices firing. By doubling/layer an identical program (maybe slightly detuned), you basically turn the OB-8 into a fat 4 oscillator 4 voice or an 8 oscillator 2 voice (unison patch).
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiohub View Post
Congrats, that OB8 looks absolutely great! Looks classy in your music room as well.
I really dig the blue accent lighting, a nice touch.

I learned a lot reading through this thread, and thanks to Ionian for pointing out all the extra page 2 features that I didn't even know existed.
Pretty deep stuff for way back then!

As far as adding labels, I use a Brother P-Touch that you can hook up to a computer.
You can really customize size and font, and if you cut close around the print, you can hardly tell that it's a label. Easily removed at any point in the future as well. You'd probably want white print on clear tape.

Hope it makes some great music with you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BM0 View Post
Yeah, calibration is stored in tape backup.

The knob positions change relative to the value stored in the program ± the knob position. So if the value of the program is at say 60 and the knob position is at 98%, turning it clockwise 100% will set the value to 62 and turning counter clockwise will hit 0 at 38%. As mentioned, turn full way both directions to clear. It's annoying at first, but you get used to it.

The OB-8 is capable of quite a bit when you experiment with Page 2, unison and double programs.
Being able to easily turn off voices comes in handy to for unison patches where you don't want all 8 voices firing. By doubling/layer an identical program (maybe slightly detuned), you basically turn the OB-8 into a fat 4 oscillator 4 voice or an 8 oscillator 2 voice (unison patch).
Quote:
Originally Posted by solitud View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobdude View Post
Answers:

1. http://analog.no/wp/index.php/factory-patches-oberheim/

2. Open it up and use liberal Deoxit and Faderlube if needed to the pots. They are easy to get to.

3. That is the way the OBs are designed. You have to turn any of the pots real far to tell the CPU you are making a change (and not just "bumped" the pot). It is mentioned in the manual.

Thank you all VERY much for the assistance. The file from: http://analog.no/wp/index.php/factory-patches-oberheim/ seems to be a wave file of some sorts, I'm guessing for the cassette tape option. Would anyone know where I could get the sys-ex factory patches? If I do have to use the cassette, I'm still not understanding the calibration being possibly messed up. If so, how did people overcome that in the 80's when using cassette data?

I found that Deoxit and Faderlube at Guitar Center and will try that....especially no that I know you have to dial the pot to zero before it works.

I've also just ordered a P-Touch with some clear tape with white print to label the page 2 functions.

Thank again, gentlemen!
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Thank you all VERY much for the assistance. The file from: http://analog.no/wp/index.php/factory-patches-oberheim/ seems to be a wave file of some sorts, I'm guessing for the cassette tape option. Would anyone know where I could get the sys-ex factory patches? If I do have to use the cassette, I'm still not understanding the calibration being possibly messed up. If so, how did people overcome that in the 80's when using cassette data?

I found that Deoxit and Faderlube at Guitar Center and will try that....especially no that I know you have to dial the pot to zero before it works.

I've also just ordered a P-Touch with some clear tape with white print to label the page 2 functions.

Thank again, gentlemen!
I looked through my files and I only have the OB8 patches as wave files. But you know you just have to connect the cassette input of the OB8 to your computer out and treat it like a old fashioned cassette load. It is easy.

Also, make sure you have the most recent OS. I think it is "B5". The manual tells how you check.
Quote:
If I do have to use the cassette, I'm still not understanding the calibration being possibly messed up. If so, how did people overcome that in the 80's when using cassette data?
The calibration on your OB-8 will likely be messed up because it will have the calibration values of an OB-8 that are on the tape, whether it be the factory values or the values of someone else's OB-8. Either way, it is highly unlikely they will be right for yours. It is not a big deal, because you can just calibrate it again, but since it is new to you, you will have to spend some time learning how to calibrate.

EDIT: Also be aware that if you replace the battery, or if the memory gets garbled (can happen with those old types of memory chips), you will lose the stored calibration values. I recommend the Synth Chaser battery eliminator for this reason as it greatly reduces the possibility of accidentally losing the calibration. You can easily check your calibration by enabling just one voice on each board (Voice 1 and Voice 5 for example) and playing two notes. If the envelopes sound really far off, it needs calibrated. By really far, I mean unacceptably far because you will never get them all in perfect time as the EG's are CEM chips. Plus, who wants them to be perfect anyways, as that is part of the character. The filters are only calibrated with trim pots and take the most time to calibrate.

Last edited by BM0; 12th March 2020 at 07:17 PM..
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lehmann View Post
Congrats on the new baby.

In terms of your current roster of polysynths then, I'm seeing...
  • Oberheim OB8
  • Baloran The River
  • Modal 002
  • Korg Trident
  • DSI Prophet 12Le
  • Sequential OB6
Is that it, or do you have any more squirrelled away!
I have 3 extra synths just sitting in our piano room.....which my wife tells me I have 1 week to clear out or they're going in the garage. Anybody want to buy a synth? I almost thought of putting synths next to our piano, but it's probably better to just have a piano and acoustic guitar in there...and maybe a nice a chess set (the unsightly video game is there temporary until we finish our game-room build) . I truly am blessed, but never had all this good stuff in my home until my late 40's. so I truly appreciate what I have.
Old 12th March 2020
Lives for gear

OK, here she is all tucked in with my other synths. I think it looks great in there and even when I am in too much physical pain to play, I can just admire the beauty of it.

Gear Maniac

Just for conversation, when I calibrated my OB8 (a long while ago) I calibrated the filter resonances a bit "hot". I convinced myself that in doing so, my OB8 sounded "better". Totally non-scientific. Totally my opinion or imagination.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobdude View Post
Just for conversation, when I calibrated my OB8 (a long while ago) I calibrated the filter resonances a bit "hot". I convinced myself that in doing so, my OB8 sounded "better". Totally non-scientific. Totally my opinion or imagination.
I do the same thing. I have them set to just when the self-oscillation cuts out. I get the impression that a number of OB-8's don't have resonance calibrated correctly and some think that is why OB-Xa sounds different/better. Also, those old trimmers can get fiddly to adjust. I put new multi-turn trimmers in mine for that reason.

A filter tip I have come across (probably here on GS)... The filter pedal input will set the cutoff lower than the panel knob.
📝 Reply