The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Solutions for mounting power strips on Synth Stands
Old 25th October 2018
Lives for gear

Solutions for mounting power strips on Synth Stands

Being that I bought a gigantic Jaspers stand to house a lot of my synths, I realize a lot of my power cords/adapter are too short to reach to the bottom of the keyboard stand. I'm think of placing two power surges/strips in the middle of the rack somewhere. I'm not exactly sure yet. I'm guessing the thing would be to use zip ties? Or maybe velcro? What would you guys suggest? I'm hoping I can do this without really scratching up the metal bars of my stand, but I'll have to do what it takes. I'm not sure what would leave less of a mark on the metal bars of the stand, sticky velcro or zip ties that would grind the power strip plastic on the metal. Any pics of how you do it would be cool.

Here's what I'm working with:

Old 25th October 2018
Lives for gear

i saw at messe(or namm?) this year this company that had accesories for trusses and one of them was exactly for mounting powerstrips. they were designed to be easily mounted and not damage anything (i guess they had some plastic/rubber coating). i am sorry but i can't remember the name of the company nor on which of the youtube tech channels i saw it on. but maybe that will give you some direction as to where to look.

otherwise, you know, duct tape is like the force. there's dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together

LE: i see stairville has something for this. i am sure other companies do too
Stairville Snap black 10 pcs Bundle – Thomann Österreich
Old 25th October 2018
Lives for gear

The production company I work for uses these on several of our smaller lighting rigs. Would work great for you
Old 25th October 2018
Lives for gear

Zip ties and black duct tape to protect surfaces. A match made in heaven.
Old 26th October 2018
Another vote for zip ties...I attached a power strip to on of the cross-braces on each of my x-type stands. Neither have slipped or moved yet.
Old 26th October 2018
Gear Head
Black velcro strips, you can buy them off Amazon, at a long length or pre-cut. A lot easier to rearrange than cutting zip ties.
Old 26th October 2018
Lives for gear

The sort of velcro that doesn't have any adhesive and sticks to itself.

Much better than traditional velcro or zip ties.

I buy big rolls, and cut it to length and width as it suits my needs. It's quite strong, even at 1/4" wide, and leaves behind zero evidence it was ever there.
Old 26th October 2018
Lives for gear

If you don’t plan on gigging it you can get those tracks of power outlets that mount to the wall.

Or you could probably take those same tracks and zip tie them to the bars of the stand.
Old 26th October 2018
Gear Head

Hi rids, which model of jaspers stand is that? does this stand comes with rubber feet as well or is it only wheels?
what parts did you added to put your korg ddd1 and kawai r100? looks nice!
Old 26th October 2018
Lives for gear

Harbor Freight sells a halfway nice 14 outlet, about 3' long outlet strip pretty reasonably. That might be just the ticket here.

For permanent mounting, in my opinion screws are the way to go. That will of course alter the finish of the stand permanently, but it will be nice and secure. I gather you don't want permanent, though.

For temporary mounting, perhaps some self-fusing PVC tape (like this or this or probably this) would do the trick; at the least, it could protect the stand surface from zip ties or velcro or whatever you use to mount the outlet strip, yet come off cleanly when needed.
Old 26th October 2018
DGL
Gear Addict
As the jaspers poles are round what about the spring clips that are used to hold pipes/tools to a wall, just fix them to the back of the power strip and away you go.
Old 26th October 2018
Lives for gear

If you go the "attaching power strips to stand" route, use electrical tape instead of duct tape. It wont leave any adhesive on the stand. Well it could, but not as much as the duct tape.

So electrical tape and zip ties, preferably all in black. Done.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by George M View Post
Hi rids, which model of jaspers stand is that? does this stand comes with rubber feet as well or is it only wheels?
what parts did you added to put your korg ddd1 and kawai r100? looks nice!
The stand is this:

https://www.jaspers-alu.de/aid-990-KR200-6-150RB.html

They have different sizes to choose from for the arms. Those are these parts:

https://www.jaspers-alu.de/aid-565-M...older-40B.html

or just the arms:

https://www.jaspers-alu.de/aid-45-Holders-30B-pair.html
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike View Post
The production company I work for uses these on several of our smaller lighting rigs. Would work great for you
These look great! A little pricey, but are exactly what I need as there wouldn't be any risk of the power supply slipping.

The issue might be that it doesn't have surge protection for my gear. Otherwise it's perfect. Might have to go to with some velcro ties/tape and a power surge.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Industrial Velcro
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

A crew of 3 people helped disassemble all my synths and equipment from my family room for the remodel - including all power, audio and digital cables, cords and strips.

I was left with a basketball sized ball of 3/4" black velcro cuts!

I'm a nut for black velcro and those black rubber (sticky) shelf liner rolls that I also cut to size to keep all manner of stuff in place.

I can't imagine my studio without them.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Monoprice has vecro strips for cheap. I have 3 different lenghts of them. THey come as a block that you peal them off one by one. Perfect.

I have also had balls of strips from re-wiring. Nice to see I am not alone.

I only have two keybaord and rack stuff over the keyboard. So I put an 8 switch power strip over everything.

Another Thing I did to clean up cables was buy a bunch of 1', 2' and 3' power cables. Once the power source is located, then I have choices for the power cable length.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewE View Post
Harbor Freight sells a halfway nice 14 outlet, about 3' long outlet strip pretty reasonably. That might be just the ticket here.
These were "just the ticket" for me! At least they got me where I wanted to go. I use two...one silver and one black, both bought while they were on sale, which happens often. The outlets are spaced so that adapters will not take up two spaces. One strip is mounted under the desk top and power cords are neatly looped so they do not show.

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewE View Post

For permanent mounting, in my opinion screws are the way to go. That will of course alter the finish of the stand permanently, but it will be nice and secure. I gather you don't want permanent, though.

For temporary mounting, perhaps some self-fusing PVC tape (like this or this or probably this) would do the trick; at the least, it could protect the stand surface from zip ties or velcro or whatever you use to mount the outlet strip, yet come off cleanly when needed.
I was going to ask you about this one. I only see a 12 outlet 4' long outlet. Which one are you talking about?

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-out...rip-96737.html
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bftucker View Post
These were "just the ticket" for me! At least they got me where I wanted to go. I use two...one silver and one black, both bought while they were on sale, which happens often. The outlets are spaced so that adapters will not take up two spaces. One strip is mounted under the desk top and power cords are neatly looped so they do not show.

What are you going to do about surge protection? These long power strips look like the ticket, but without surge protection I can't do it.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Velcro sucks.....gets some 3M dual lock and be done with it!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rids View Post
What are you going to do about surge protection? These long power strips look like the ticket, but without surge protection I can't do it.
Both are plugged into a surge protector. Everything computer-related into a APC UPS Battery Backup. All racked equipment into power conditioners. I also pray a lot.

Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I was going to ask you about this one. I only see a 12 outlet 4' long outlet. Which one are you talking about?

Those are what I have bought on sale for less than $20.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John01W View Post
Velcro sucks.....gets some 3M dual lock and be done with it!
Exactly. This.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

That's the one...either they changed the specifications on it and eliminated a couple of outlets, or (more likely) I misremembered or mistyped or something along those lines. My apologies for any confusion.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Thanks for all the suggestions, that helped to see if there were better options than I was thinking. And there is. I was hoping to find a better surge protector that could be mounted. But then I realized a mono price surge protector I had could be hung on my keyboard stand/racks with velcro since it has a spot at the end to hang it. I'll be able to hang these anywhere in my studio. So I bought 2 more of them and some single piece velcro:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15874
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search