The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Moog One Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 3rd July 2018
  #1
Lives for gear
 

Moog One

Whoa!
Old 15th October 2018
  #2
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa
 
Don Solaris's Avatar
The old thread is on a vacation, because:

-- it was impossible to navigate (over 6000 posts, good luck finding anything in there)
-- quote reference links no longer work (you want to see the source of a quoted post, it doesn't work)
-- way way too much offtopic
-- too much personal fights especially during the last few days (totally uncool)

In the new thread the only thing that will be allowed to discuss is the Moog One. Everything else will be removed. 1) Members who start fights with other members (or anyone else for that matter) will be banned from the thread, with their posts sent to ozone. 2) Members who deliberately start derailing the thread will be banned. 3) Members who troll to derail the thread will be banned - if you don't like something, you don't have to repeat it 200 times.

The old thread is here:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elec...-moog-one.html
Old 17th October 2018
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Smack Dammit's Avatar
 

Dream synth! Definitely wanna hear some mono bass sounds as well....
Old 19th October 2018
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Quantum7's Avatar
When I win that 900 million, I’m buying my 10 best GS buddies all Moog One’s.
Old 19th October 2018
  #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum7 View Post
When I win that 900 million, I’m buying my 10 best GS buddies all Moog One’s.
I've always liked you, Quantum7! So smart and witty in everything you write.
Old 19th October 2018
  #6
Lives for gear
 
maisonvague's Avatar
 

I'd really like to buy a Moog One, but I'm a little short on cash at the moment. So I've decided to become a bookie on the side.

I'm now accepting bets on how long it will be before this thread turns negative again. Currently, odds are 3:1.
Old 19th October 2018
  #7
Lives for gear
 
maisonvague's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonrider View Post
The strange thing to me is why Moog wants to give people new Coke instead of classic Coke.
Maybe it's because they've been giving us Coke classic for awhile now, with Moog Modular reissues, Model-D reissues, etc, and feel like taking a risk on a new product.

Quote:
Ultimately I think many of these instruments should be like strats. Why go out of production at all?
I agree, and believe we've arrived at that point. Analog synths have achieved classical status and, like the piano, violin etc are likely here to stay. We might not always be able to get the exact model we want, but these days there are viable alternatives.
Old 19th October 2018
  #8
Lives for gear
 
maisonvague's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomized View Post
They haven’t given us polyphonic Coke Classic yet..
True.

Even so, as much as I would like to have seen a Memorymoog 2.0, had I been on the design team for the Moog One, I would have recommended against a reissue.

The writing is on the wall. He Who Must Not Be Named is set to completely dominate this market. I don't see how others are going to be able to compete and stay profitable. The shockingly low estimated price of a recently announced synth sent shutters down my spine. I will leave it there.

I think it was a smart move to design something new.
Old 19th October 2018
  #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
He Who Must Not Be Named is set to completely dominate this market.
I'm not sure.
And......
Moog One still sounds more like a Memorymoog to me than anything else.
It sounds like a modern Memorymoog. Although I haven't played it in person.
Old 19th October 2018
  #10
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
True.

Even so, as much as I would like to have seen a Memorymoog 2.0, had I been on the design team for the Moog One, I would have recommended against a reissue.

The writing is on the wall. He Who Must Not Be Named is set to completely dominate this market. I don't see how others are going to be able to compete and stay profitable. The shockingly low estimated price of a recently announced synth sent shutters down my spine. I will leave it there.

I think it was a smart move to design something new.
The reason why it won't be true is that the quality just isn't there. Even on the Boog. The Deepmind was supposed to be a Juno clone, no? didn't come too close...

There will always be this. I think people with a studio more high end would go for a model D reissue vs the boog based on quality. The boog is great for $299, but still not as good. The Bro One looks cool, but I don't have high hopes after owning the Boog. Even if it's the knob size/quality.

There will ALWAYS be a market for high end, as can be seen by how active this thread is. Just by mention of name people have been buying(including me). And I have no worry that this synth will beat my expectations.
Old 19th October 2018
  #11
Lives for gear
 

So as much as I want more demos, this is what is likely to happen if they do not put any more demos out before the 24th. I was leaning towards cancelling my preorder up through sometime Wednesday or so. Yesterday I pull out my 4 voice boog setup and start programming out some sounds. Part of that setup involves using modular filters to switch up the sound. After about 15 minutes of just wiring up this setup the voice in my head keeps telling me that the One has no wires...

At the end of the day, it is still a real analog, tritimbral synth with 3 64 step sequencers with more parameter tracks than I could ever need. The built in effects also mean less wiring. I also went back though some of the existing demo, and I heard enough tidbits here and there with certain sounds that just need a tad bit of extra modulation and I would probably be very happy with the sound.

So as of right now, I am keeping my pre-order, it will probably arrive next Friday, and if I were a betting man, after a few hours of use, I'll probably get some of the basic sounds I program out on every new synth, and get them to an acceptable level. I'll make a song with the sequencers and be extremely happy with the fact that not a single wire was hurt in the process. As an OTB fetishist, don't ask me why, but I have a love hate relationship with wires. So it's been a ride, but I am as of right now leaning towards accepting the pre-order, and leaning towards the fact that I will find this to be an extremely useful tool in the studio.

Of course if they put out another demo with nothing but junk, I'll have to reconsider. If they put out nothing, I'll be forced to demo it out myself, which is actually the only way I could really know if this One is for me.
Old 19th October 2018
  #12
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
True.

Even so, as much as I would like to have seen a Memorymoog 2.0, had I been on the design team for the Moog One, I would have recommended against a reissue.

The writing is on the wall. He Who Must Not Be Named is set to completely dominate this market. I don't see how others are going to be able to compete and stay profitable. The shockingly low estimated price of a recently announced synth sent shutters down my spine. I will leave it there.

I think it was a smart move to design something new.
In this instance I don't think Moog have too much to worry about. They have aimed much higher than anybody else with this, nothing else compares and it will likely stay that way for years.

It's the brands pushing sub £500 products and those building expensive replicas of classics that may feel the hit.
Old 19th October 2018
  #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by markorbit View Post
It's the brands pushing sub £500 products and those building expensive replicas of classics that may feel the hit.
Why?
Completely different market.
No comparison between a $5k-$9k single synth and the large number of sub$1000 synths.
Old 19th October 2018
  #14
Lives for gear
 
Phil Aiken's Avatar
 

How important is the vocoder to everyone? It is odd that we have not seen it in action. It is not important to me at all - just one extra bell/whistle that adds to the shock and awe of the announcement, but nothing I am likely to use on a regular basis.I am wondering if the radio silence on that front is due to it still being worked on and not ready for presentation. I would be fine if it was a version 1.1 addition.....
Old 19th October 2018
  #15
Lives for gear
 
mildheadwound's Avatar
I got to jam on One, at the Imstafest, last weekend, in TO, and it was beyond impressive. The interface is really the stunner with this thing; The whole shaping the response of each envelope transition, and clean concise screen during all operations, the authentic moog sound, great keys and feel. I doubt anybody will be disappointed.
Old 19th October 2018
  #16
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Aiken View Post
How important is the vocoder to everyone? It is odd that we have not seen it in action. It is not important to me at all - just one extra bell/whistle that adds to the shock and awe of the announcement, but nothing I am likely to use on a regular basis.I am wondering if the radio silence on that front is due to it still being worked on and not ready for presentation. I would be fine if it was a version 1.1 addition.....
I would not say the vocoder is important to me. I'm happy that it is there because it can be a versatile tool... but then that depends on the flexibility of the vocoder.

And yeah, I assume something is still being worked on in that area... either the vocoder itself, or (my guess) something to do with the audio input because that has others uses besides the vocoder and they did not show it at all in the demos.
Old 19th October 2018
  #17
Lives for gear
 
Phil Aiken's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by draig View Post
I would not say the vocoder is important to me. I'm happy that it is there because it can be a versatile tool... but then that depends on the flexibility of the vocoder.

And yeah, I assume something is still being worked on in that area... either the vocoder itself, or (my guess) something to do with the audio input because that has others uses besides the vocoder and they did not show it at all in the demos.
To your point, nobody has showed the inserts in action either.
Old 19th October 2018
  #18
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by draig View Post
I would not say the vocoder is important to me. I'm happy that it is there because it can be a versatile tool... but then that depends on the flexibility of the vocoder.

And yeah, I assume something is still being worked on in that area... either the vocoder itself, or (my guess) something to do with the audio input because that has others uses besides the vocoder and they did not show it at all in the demos.
I feel the same regarding the vocoder, it'll get there eventually. But what's more encouraging is the potential this suggests. I'm guessing that incorporating a vocoder is almost entirely working with software. Given that the One has plenty of space for coding, that implies there is a lot of possibility to create new enhancements to the base engine. Imagine a One with version 10 a few years from now....!
Old 19th October 2018
  #19
Lives for gear
 
jmcecil's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by psionic11 View Post
I'm guessing that incorporating a vocoder is almost entirely working with software.
No need to guess, they've already said that the vocoders are software. I think he said that they currently have 2 algos available in the first release.
Old 19th October 2018
  #20
Lives for gear
 
maisonvague's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
I'm not sure.
I'm also not sure. Only speculating.

The estimated price of the cloned Pro-1 module got me thinking how much then for a Prophet-5 clone? OB-Xa clone?

I'm expecting the prices for these units to be equally as shocking as the Pro-1.
Old 19th October 2018
  #21
Here for the gear
 

Possibility for price drop?

What a great synth this seems to be Any thoughts on the chances of a slight drop in price of it within the next year or two? I've twice bought new synths shortly after release (Korg Arp Odyssey and Novation Peak), only to find the prices dropping with several hundred dollars after a year or so.

I guess it might be different with Moog synths, but I think I recall the Moog Sub 37 having a higher retail price than it has now.

Tried searching for this question in the thread, but had troubles with opening the search findings.

Cheers from Norway
Old 19th October 2018
  #22
Lives for gear
 
maisonvague's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3001 View Post
The reason why it won't be true is that the quality just isn't there. Even on the Boog. The Deepmind was supposed to be a Juno clone, no? didn't come too close...

There will always be this. I think people with a studio more high end would go for a model D reissue vs the boog based on quality. The boog is great for $299, but still not as good. The Bro One looks cool, but I don't have high hopes after owning the Boog. Even if it's the knob size/quality.

There will ALWAYS be a market for high end, as can be seen by how active this thread is.
I agree. The high end will carry on, unscathed.

It's not the high end I'm concerned about: it's the mid-level. It could shrink, leaving us with a vast amount of poorly made cheap gear, a small amount of good quality, expensive gear, and fewer options in the middle.

With the Moog One, Moog is taking a secure position: the high end. It's also not a clone of anything. It's a new instrument. I think this was a good business move. That was really my point.
Old 19th October 2018
  #23
Lives for gear
 

Coupla things watching the Moog One live build just now: first, I hope those black wire harnesses don't go bouncing around inside during shipment, possibly damaging the PCB board and components underneath (probably not). Secondly, looks like it'd be a real bear to try disassembling; I'm going to predict that any repairs are going to require it going back to Moog to do.

Just looking for something to kibitz about while the wait continues......
Old 19th October 2018
  #24
Old 19th October 2018
  #25
Lives for gear
 
Mr Knoch's Avatar
------------

Last edited by Mr Knoch; 22nd October 2018 at 04:08 PM.. Reason: Soul is gone.
Old 19th October 2018
  #26
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsaintjohn View Post
Up at the top of that slide is a small studio, and that’s where we saw the Moog One back in June
And you stopped and you turned to go to the ride?
Old 19th October 2018
  #27
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum7 View Post
They are selling synths for “reasonable prices”. If they were not, they wouldn’t be in business.
No, the reason they are in business got nothing to do with reasonable prices. They are selling synths for huge margins because there has been no real competition with pricing until recently.
Old 19th October 2018
  #28
Lives for gear
considering how much money people put in their modulars the moog one is a steal!!! Coming from the Buchla/Serge realm...these prices are not bad whatsoever.

I think we're at a great time of synthesis where hobbyists can afford the high end just as well as the performing musicians can, and across the board you can get things that match your price range. Whether it Boog, 0 coast...etc. The barrier's dropped.

Mid-range synths are still there, look at DSI. I don't think DSI is going anywhere with how used it is.

I do see a scary trend of small companies trying to take on poly synths, I'm terrified of those with the amount of bugs they could have. The River for example, it looks cool and all, but do I trust it's reliability? hell no. The Sunsyn took years to have a stable OS. Modal's OS needed a helluva lot of work too... I hope I don't have the same experience with the Moog I had with the Modals.
Old 19th October 2018
  #29
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
And you stopped and you turned to go to the ride?
I was so excited after the Moog One demo that I took the slide down shouting "Whoo-hoo!!" and ended up a broken pile of bones at the bottom. Other than that, it was a great GearFest.
Old 19th October 2018
  #30
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomized View Post
A world where Behringer clones forced other synth makers to sell their gear for reasonable prices too would be a nice synth future for me.

Moog One seems to suggest that’s not going to happen though..
You should probably learn a bit about history. It’s littered with stories of small, cool companies getting trounced by giant companies who make use of global cheap labor. Remember, Yamaha bought Sequential and then killed it.

It’s smart of them, and Moog, to come back and focus on what those big companies won’t do, but if Behringer starts doing it, they could collapse again, and if you think that Behringer is going to develop something as cool as the Moog One on their own... you’re mistaken.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump