The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Moog One
Old 30th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague ➡️
The River is a lot more than a “rehashing of Moog Source voice cards”. While the synth engine itself has limited possibilities for modulation, the composite instrument—which includes a beautiful sounding analog tri-chorus—is deep and complex. Together with four (!) part patch layering, micro-tuning, MPE support and an integrated 8-voice polyphonic MIDI>CV converter, it’s a next level analog syntheszer. Not a rehash.

It's also worth noting (again) that the designer owns a Moog One. These synths are not competitors but friends.
The River has a decidedly "older" sound, but the One sounds as good as it right out of the gate. No need for a zillion modulations--the One's oscs are very lively and organic (much more than the new Pro-10!), filter is sweet and musical. I've already matched a lot of M-12 sounds on it. It's an incredible sounding machine that doesn't need any tricks to sound classically "analog".

Last edited by Sir Ruff; 30th November 2020 at 05:14 PM..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ruff ➡️
The River has a decidedly "older" sound, but the One sounds as good as it right out of the gate. No need for a zillion modulations--the One's oscs are very lively and organic (much more than the new Pro-10!), filter is sweet and musical. I've already matched a lot of M-12 sounds on it. It's an incredible sounding machine that doesn't need any tricks to sound classically "analog".
Sounds great, Sir Ruff.

I'm in the market for a top tier instrument such as the Moog One.

So, prepare yourself for a PM arriving shortly.

There are things I'd like to know from you directly.
Deleted 2c2ba78
Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague ➡️
The River is a lot more than a “rehashing of Moog Source voice cards”. While the synth engine itself has limited possibilities for modulation, the composite instrument—which includes a beautiful sounding analog tri-chorus—is deep and complex. Together with four (!) part patch layering, micro-tuning, MPE support and an integrated 8-voice polyphonic MIDI>CV converter, it’s a next level analog syntheszer. Not a rehash.

It's also worth noting (again) that the designer owns a Moog One. These synths are not competitors but friends.
Sorry, I had missed this reply.

To be clear, it was absolutely not my intention to put down The River - it is an incredible instrument and I will be on the list for the next batch. I can see how "rehash" has a negative connotation, but in this case the point I was trying to make was just that, unsurprisingly, its architecture shapes its character. So, basically I was just agreeing with your second point.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by apessino ➡️
Sorry, I had missed this reply.

To be clear, it was absolutely not my intention to put down The River - it is an incredible instrument and I will be on the list for the next batch. I can see how "rehash" has a negative connotation, but in this case the point I was trying to make was just that, unsurprisingly, its architecture shapes its character. So, basically I was just agreeing with your second point.
No sweat, man. I knew you probably didn’t intend the negative connotations, but couldn’t resist the opportunity to plug for The River.

You will love it, I’m sure.

For two years now, it's been my plan eventually to own both of these instruments.

Phase Two is approaching.
Old 30th November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Maybe my ears are getting a little aged, but I was wanting the river because I thought it had an older roland type sound. Kind of like if there was a poly sh-09.
Old 2nd December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
I understand the Moog One overpowers the Prophet 10 in modulation capabilities and creating save points for new sound creation makes it incredibly versatile with some investment, but are you really saying you think the Moog One has a more lively and organic core sound than the Prophet 10?
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copia ➡️
I understand the Moog One overpowers the Prophet 10 in modulation capabilities and creating save points for new sound creation makes it incredibly versatile with some investment, but are you really saying you think the Moog One has a more lively and organic core sound than the Prophet 10?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copia ➡️
yes

Prophet-10 doesn't do this:

Last edited by Sir Ruff; 2nd December 2020 at 04:18 PM..
Old 2nd December 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The quality of polysynths, both in terms of sound and functionality, is rising to such an extent that picking favourites is getting more and more personal and subjective, and down to marginal judgement calls, I think.

That is definitely the M-one at its powerful best, with the P10 performing better elsewhere.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
yes

Prophet-10 doesn't do this:
I haven’t tried the Rev 4 but the Moog One blows away my old ob6 in terms of general liveliness. Add in some custom slop courtesy of the random keyed mod source and things get huge.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoundTound ➡️
I haven’t tried the Rev 4 but the Moog One blows away my old ob6 in terms of general liveliness. Add in some custom slop courtesy of the random keyed mod source and things get huge.
yeah, the P-10 overall has a wonderful gooey, warm sound, but I was sorry to see that DSI carried through their penchant for tuning rigidity on the P-10. Although these are CEM oscs, they really don't waver/jitter like the old ones.
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Random Keyed Values functions drastically eased the « vintagification » of the patches.
And freed the 4th LFO from being used as a S&H just for those purposes.

And the fact that they delivered several of those enabled even more per voice variance (on envelopes, filter, pitches...).
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinw ➡️
The Random Keyed Values functions drastically eased the « vintagification » of the patches.
And freed the 4th LFO from being used as a S&H just for those purposes.

And the fact that they delivered several of those enabled even more per voice variance (on envelopes, filter, pitches...).
Absolutely. I would love to see Moog add three more on another update so we can dedicate one to each oscillator and have a few more for other destinations.

On another note, I recently found using the ‘square’ and ‘cubed’ transforms help dial in velocity sourced modulations.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Absolutely. I would love to see Moog add three more on another update so we can dedicate one to each oscillator and have a few more for other destinations.
If you use VARS on your current instrument, you will be able to learn how to use the 3 current keyed random sources to make endless permutations of them available to use anywhere you want. Right now!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiohub ➡️
If you use VARS on your current instrument, you will be able to learn how to use the 3 current keyed random sources to make endless permutations of them available to use anywhere you want. Right now!
Var’s help but they still draw from one of the three available Random Keyed sources. The more the merrier
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Var’s help but they still draw from one of the three available Random Keyed sources. The more the merrier
Yep, they *will* use the three random keyed sources available, so you'll need to find a way to make that work to your advantage.

Learn how to program using VARS. You'll be glad you did.

Easiest example: use one random keyed source, and make the controller another random keyed source. The result is another random amount, created by, but completely different from the first two. Make that VARS 1.
Now, you can use VARS 1 as the source (applied either as a positive or negative amount, you'll probably want to mix it up as you apply it) and use any of the random keyed sources as the controller, and now here's a NEW different random source.
You could assign this directly to a destination, or make it VARS 2, and use it to create more random sources. Rinse and repeat, using different combinations of your various VARS and the available random keypress controllers to be the source and controller.

You can quickly and easily create enough random events this way to (for instance) power a supercharged "Vintage" style control that affects microtuning, multiple envelope settings, voice mixes and amounts, voice timbres, and just about anything else you might dream up. Each voice (layer) has 20 available modulation lanes, and you can stack up 3 voices worth of them if you want. NOW we're talkin'!

Remember, the source amount can be varied, made positive or negative, and then the amount output can be randomly set via the controller slot. This creates a new and unique controller with each keypress.

You typically don't need a bunch, but rather just a good handful of random sources to create an interesting, breathing, organic-sounding patch, since the ear can't usually correlate if different aspects of a sound are linked to the same (small) random event.

So, this is the "entry level" method of creating something like this, quick and easy. There are many, many, many different ways to create these as well, limited only by your imagination and understanding of the tools available to you.

Have fun!
Old 3rd December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiohub ➡️
Yep, they *will* use the three random keyed sources available, so you'll need to find a way to make that work to your advantage.

Learn how to program using VARS. You'll be glad you did.

Easiest example: use one random keyed source, and make the controller another random keyed source. The result is another random amount, created by, but completely different from the first two. Make that VARS 1.
Now, you can use VARS 1 as the source (applied either as a positive or negative amount, you'll probably want to mix it up as you apply it) and use any of the random keyed sources as the controller, and now here's a NEW different random source.
You could assign this directly to a destination, or make it VARS 2, and use it to create more random sources. Rinse and repeat, using different combinations of your various VARS and the available random keypress controllers to be the source and controller.

You can quickly and easily create enough random events this way to (for instance) power a supercharged "Vintage" style control that affects microtuning, multiple envelope settings, voice mixes and amounts, voice timbres, and just about anything else you might dream up. Each voice (layer) has 20 available modulation lanes, and you can stack up 3 voices worth of them if you want. NOW we're talkin'!

Remember, the source amount can be varied, made positive or negative, and then the amount output can be randomly set via the controller slot. This creates a new and unique controller with each keypress.

You typically don't need a bunch, but rather just a good handful of random sources to create an interesting, breathing, organic-sounding patch, since the ear can't usually correlate if different aspects of a sound are linked to the same (small) random event.

So, this is the "entry level" method of creating something like this, quick and easy. There are many, many, many different ways to create these as well, limited only by your imagination and understanding of the tools available to you.

Have fun!
Huge!!! This helps a ton! Anymore tips like this is greatly appreciated
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Huge!!! This helps a ton! Anymore tips like this is greatly appreciated
in summary `var` is a place holder for a collection of 1 or more properties. The var can then be mixed in with other collections of property matrices.

var 1 = matrix of properties
var 2 = matrix of properties
var 3 = (var1.source, var2.controller) //returns a potential 2^2^2^
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by d33psp33d ➡️
in summary `var` is a place holder for a collection of 1 or more properties. The var can then be mixed in with other collections of property matrices.

var 1 = matrix of properties
var 2 = matrix of properties
var 3 = (var1.source, var2.controller) //returns a potential 2^2^2^
Using a random value for the controller in conjunction with a random source and storing it as a var never occurred to me. Thanks again.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Using a random value for the controller in conjunction with a random source and storing it as a var never occurred to me. Thanks again.
you bet!!

Also there are func(var a, var b):functions.. functional expressions that can manipulate the vars.

If anyone is interested on the functional programming logic we can refer to javascript, a language that can be functional, prototypical, or object oriented.

variables

functions
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
you bet!!

Also there are func(var a, var b):functions.. functional expressions that can manipulate the vars.

If anyone is interested on the functional programming logic we can refer to javascript, a language that can be functional, prototypical, or object oriented.

variables

functions
Wtf I didn’t know the One was going to teach me to code
Old 15th December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Some very nice ideas and sounds in that video:
Old 13th January 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Next Firmware update?

Hello All,

Do we have any information about the next update (v1.0.5) for the Moog One?It's been over a year and it seemed that they were moving fast with the updates within the first year of its release. Amos was saying they had a lot of features they wanted to add to the synth according to the Moog One Architecture videos and I haven't heard much since. I know that the release of their new lineup of synths has most likely contributed to the lack of updates. Not sure if anyone has info on this? Thanks in advance.
Old 13th January 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdMusic ➡️
Hello All,

Do we have any information about the next update (v1.0.5) for the Moog One?It's been over a year and it seemed that they were moving fast with the updates within the first year of its release. Amos was saying they had a lot of features they wanted to add to the synth according to the Moog One Architecture videos and I haven't heard much since. I know that the release of their new lineup of synths has most likely contributed to the lack of updates. Not sure if anyone has info on this? Thanks in advance.
Just under 7 months to be precise. But yes, the longest such gap, and they seem to not do much over the holiday season as a rule. Plus the new synths you mention. Plus a pandemic. I would guess pretty soon, though.
Old 13th January 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Folks with the interface option, do you go with +4 or -10?
Old 17th January 2021
Here for the gear

Moog One - Delete a preset from Performance Set?

Hi all - I understand how to create/delete performance sets and move around individual presets, but is there a way to simply delete one preset from a Performance Set without having to overwrite it? Thanks.
Old 17th January 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
2 posts above, maybe you will have a better chance for a reply in the owners thread.
This one is kind of dead...
3 days, 4 days, then 4 weeks ago.
Old 17th January 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Thanks!
Old 25th January 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Folks with the interface option, do you go with +4 or -10?
I'm going with -10
📝 Reply