The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Moog One Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 30th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewsFromTheSky View Post
It would be nice if they added a "NoteOn Random" modulation source, which would be a fixed random number generated as each voice is triggered.
This has been asked three times in the last two pages and a potential solution has been provided.

Use the S&H LFO with lowest speed and reset LFO on note trig set to on.
Old 30th October 2018
Lives for gear

I will add that one user error incident though is that after 20 minutes of dialing in the sound I really liked, and sequencing it to the sequencer, I went to synth2 to play some other sound, and somehow synth1 disappeared and got wiped out. Luckily I know exactly how I got there. But I do need to figure out how to manage the 3 synths parts better.
Old 30th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertflyer View Post
I will add that one user error incident though is that after 20 minutes of dialing in the sound I really liked, and sequencing it to the sequencer, I went to synth2 to play some other sound, and somehow synth1 disappeared and got wiped out. Luckily I know exactly how I got there. But I do need to figure out how to manage the 3 synths parts better.
[HINT] Create a new GROUP. I made one named Gomjab to tag all my presets. Then as soon as you sit down even if you aren’t planning to create something new create a patch and assign it to your new group. Then as you tweak away hit save snapshot anytime something cool happens. It isn’t like the old days where you had to sacrifice a preset to save something new! I got burned on Friday by not saving something. Now I just always create a new patch everytime I sit down. I may end up with dozens of snapshots. I can then go back and save anything worth keeping.
[/HINT].
Old 30th October 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh View Post
Hello World

Lovely! Best demo so far for my taste.
Old 30th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwalkerjr View Post
OK early users, I have seen your posts, listened to your demos and now I have a question. It may still be too early for many of you to answer it, but what are you feeling about this instrument at this point? Do you plan to keep it, are you on the fence or are you leaning towards a return? Besides the obvious early issues that Moog seems like they are addressing and features not yet there that they also have made some commitment to develop is there anything else that makes it a killer synth or annoys you or whatever? I have my preorder in with a different retailer and I am trying to decide whether I keep it or wait until Spring or Summer next year and see how things pan out. I know you cannot make my decision for me, but I have a lot of respect for many of you early adopters with the synth in hand. You have consistently made very thoughtful and rational posts not only on this thread, but many other I read and contribute to, so I do value your thoughts. So, @draig, @Gomjab, @philAiken, @Quantum7, @SixStringTheory, @johndavidmiller and others I have not mentioned, please fire away. I appreciate what you have contributed but I am wondering where you all stand after these first few days. It would help me a lot.
I'm undecided on keeping it. I want to keep it. The user panel is wonderful. So much room, big knobs, space around the controls. I'm already developing muscle memory where things are because of that spaciousness. No problem accidentally moving a knob when reaching for a different one. Plenty of hardware synths are so small and packed in, it hardly feels better than using vst's (for me). The One is superb in this regard.

The Keyboard is great too... very nice to play. As good or better than any I have tried before. Pitchwheel is a bit too tight for me. Modwheel too cause they are slippery. I'll adjust to that and they will likely loosen slightly anyway.

I am warming up to the sound. And figuring out how to get the sort of dynamic quality I like. That dynamism is in there, but the synth doesn't give it to you automatically.

I think the Osc's are excellent. There is a lot to say about them. Maybe later... but almost all positive.

The filters are a bit meh taken individually. I wish each of them had 15% more character. But combine them, and then you start to get something going. It feels like enough... though I'd rather have the feeling of plenty.

It may end up being plenty because the Osc's are so flexible. Yesterday I was tweaking some sound and I was totally into dialing in the right amount of FM between Osc's and then I had it... and it sounded beautiful... then I realized I hadn't even used either of the filters (set to LP full open, no res)

Sonically I'm not 100% sure... It sounds lovely but I do wish it had a bit more... something... a bit more push. I want to hear a lead sound that just cries! Makes me wish there was a feedback circuit and that the square wave also did FM. It feels like a luxury sedan and maybe I want a bit more sports car. It might be in there.

And then I get cool stuff like this:

https://dandelionaudio.com/sound/Moog-One-5.mp3

This synth may win me over.

The fan noise, high noise floor and bugginess has for sure put a damper on my enthusiasm.

And yeah, the synth is buggy. The more I dig into complex modulation (especially the envelopes), the more problems are arising.

Today when I booted the synth, I loaded a preset I was working on last night. It did not sound the same. The difference was small, so I was wondering if the fresh morning was just having me hear it differently. So I loaded another preset, a fairly simple pluck sound. That one was awash with noise. Okay, something was wrong for sure. So I rebooted. Then the pluck sound was back to what I saved, but the first sound sounded different from the night before and from the first boot! wtf?!

Okay, so I rebooted again, and started tweaking a different sound. That was a few minutes ago. I then went to put some FX on it and both FX (Per synth and master) were not working period. Okay I just rebooted again. Now the FX work on that sound.

The presets I was working on are using looping envelopes that were modulated by per voice LFO's. There's problems there for sure and suspect that as the source of todays weirdness.

I have no doubt Moog will sort all that stuff out. It's all digital stuff and can be bug fixed. I'm just not keen on being a beta tester in the short term. I've done a lot of beta testing over the years. I'm good at it but don't really want to anymore.

There is no hurry to decide as I have 25 more days to return it. If it had no fans I'd likely keep it.
Old 30th October 2018
Lives for gear

Moog One: Approved

fried chicken royalty agreement credit where credit's due: @WozNYC
Old 30th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by draig View Post
I'm undecided on keeping it. I want to keep it. The user panel is wonderful. So much room, big knobs, space around the controls. I'm already developing muscle memory where things are because of that spaciousness. No problem accidentally moving a knob when reaching for a different one. Plenty of hardware synths are so small and packed in, it hardly feels better than using vst's (for me). The One is superb in this regard.

The Keyboard is great too... very nice to play. As good or better than any I have tried before. Pitchwheel is a bit too tight for me. Modwheel too cause they are slippery. I'll adjust to that and they will likely loosen slightly anyway.

I am warming up to the sound. And figuring out how to get the sort of dynamic quality I like. That dynamism is in there, but the synth doesn't give it to you automatically.

I think the Osc's are excellent. There is a lot to say about them. Maybe later... but almost all positive.

The filters are a bit meh taken individually. I wish each of them had 15% more character. But combine them, and then you start to get something going. It feels like enough... though I'd rather have the feeling of plenty.

It may end up being plenty because the Osc's are so flexible. Yesterday I was tweaking some sound and I was totally into dialing in the right amount of FM between Osc's and then I had it... and it sounded beautiful... then I realized I hadn't even used either of the filters (set to LP full open, no res)

Sonically I'm not 100% sure... It sounds lovely but I do wish it had a bit more... something... a bit more push. I want to hear a lead sound that just cries! Makes me wish there was a feedback circuit and that the square wave also did FM. It feels like a luxury sedan and maybe I want a bit more sports car. It might be in there.

And then I get cool stuff like this:

This synth may win me over.

The fan noise, high noise floor and bugginess has for sure put a damper on my enthusiasm.

And yeah, the synth is buggy. The more I dig into complex modulation (especially the envelopes), the more problems are arising.

Today when I booted the synth, I loaded a preset I was working on last night. It did not sound the same. The difference was small, so I was wondering if the fresh morning was just having me hear it differently. So I loaded another preset, a fairly simple pluck sound. That one was awash with noise. Okay, something was wrong for sure. So I rebooted. Then the pluck sound was back to what I saved, but the first sound sounded different from the night before and from the first boot! wtf?!

Okay, so I rebooted again, and started tweaking a different sound. That was a few minutes ago. I then went to put some FX on it and both FX (Per synth and master) were not working period. Okay I just rebooted again. Now the FX work on that sound.

The presets I was working on are using looping envelopes that were modulated by per voice LFO's. There's problems there for sure and suspect that as the source of todays weirdness.

I have no doubt Moog will sort all that stuff out. It's all digital stuff and can be bug fixed. I'm just not keen on being a beta tester in the short term. I've done a lot of beta testing over the years. I'm good at it but don't really want to anymore.

There is no hurry to decide as I have 25 more days to return it. If it had no fans I'd likely keep it.
Wow! Thank you. That is some really detailed feedback. I owe you two beers if we ever meet in person. Like what you have been coaxing out of the One. You have a unique style and it shows in your sound design. The beta test thing has me the most nervous about taking the plunge right now. I'm basically at the point where I think I need to get my 45 days with it and see for myself if I can live with the development niggles or not. Your style is 100% the type that will push the boundaries so it is not surprising that you are finding bugs.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the feedback.
Old 30th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Since others are doing a first hour initial reaction response, here is mine..

1) The sound is amazing. Nothing thin or weak about it. I don't know why the demos are recorded as they are, but I am playing sounds and there is nothing thin about the sound.

2) Here is the biggest surprise to me so far. The oscillators are amazing. I have no clue what people have been trying on their settings. But for one, the default saw is exactly that default. Its a starting point and it sounds about as good as the default saw on my virus. But the moment you play with the angle and mix even slightly, you get an instantly beautiful sounding oscillator sound. So far in my first hour, the oscillator is what is most impressive to me. Adding some slight mod to the mix and wave angles brings movement and they do sound alive. I was ready to hate these oscillators after reading here the past week. I love them. And the moment you move them off default, they are thick (whatever the opposite of thin is), and deep, and rich, whatever. Here is the sweet spot I have found so far in the first hour, use triangle, start with the wave angle turned all the way clockwise. Turn the mix knob all the way counter clockwise to 100% triangle. Now slowly mix some pulse in. As you mix that pulse in, you get a great sounding wave.

3) Fan doesn't bother me cause I am using headphones. But when I take the headphones off it sounds like a quiet but audible desktop.

4) The envelopes in their default curve setting is pretty default as well and not musical to me. When I put the decay and release on 75% exp, they sounded great.

5) everyone has their own definition of 'vintage'. But I will tell you, I dialed in a vintage sounding patch within the first 20 minutes. I moved the key tracking slightly, modulated some pitch ever so slightly, and used the pitch variance parameter ever so slightly. That mixed with the right envelope settings and some slight mix and wave angle mod, and it sounded plenty vintage to me. Warm, thick, whatever the opposite of soulless is, soulful?

Overall after an hour, I have forgotten everything I have read about this synth. There is nothing weak about it, the noise floor level is ok for me, It is not noisy enough to distract me, and I only hear it when I'm not playing any notes and turn it up. When I am playing and messing around, I don't notice it.

I'll have more later. But I have learned a lesson here. Don't trust demos, don't trust just anyone here. I'll update more after a few more hours. But so far, I love this synth.
Making my afternoon @Vertflyer
Old 30th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
I know this war field. I was in agony before deciding to go for The River instead of the Moog One.

It wasn't so much a contest of tone and features (which are quite different) as it was of money and space.
The River has had some time to find the sweet spot presets, get tweaked, be well recorded etc.

Give the Moog a year and what is coming out of it then (after various bug fixes, new presets etc) will be every bit as good as The River (each being unique of course)
Old 30th October 2018
Lives for gear
Wow. The latest video from Daniel Fisher (linked a few times both others here) is fantastic! Just the sorts of sounds I like. Hearing the same patches with and without fx shows how good the basic One voice sounds.
Old 30th October 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by apessino View Post
Fair enough - but I am still quite confused about how the SVF should be approached.

My understanding is that the SEM filter really has all 3 modes (LP, BP/notch and HP) active at all times, and the morphing just blends between them in the output. Clearly the Moog One's SVF is not designed that way.

The One really has 3 filters, 2 in the SVF and 1 Ladder. According to the manual, the 2 filter elements in the SVF are identical and from the manual: "their arrangement and interaction is determined by the choice of NOTCH, Bandpass (BP), High Pass (HP), or Low Pass (LP) Modes on the Front Panel, and by other parameters located in the Filter MORE page."

Then there is serial/parallel local to the SVF's 2 elements AND serial/parallel between the two filters. The latter makes sense, since you can put them in different modes, but the former? What is the point of two LP filters in serial mode unless you can change the mode of one or the other? If the only difference is the cutoff, then one filter is going to do big fat nothing.

If, on the other hand, each of the 2 elements could be set to its own mode (or at least the inverse of the other) then with spacing you could pretty much emulate all other continuous filter configurations, including blending towards and away to/from LP/BP and HP.

I know I am missing something, but as it is the manual and the information I have been able to find has only confused me more.
I mentioned this earlier:

- in series mode with spacing 0 the SVF has a 24dB/oct slope, like the Jupiter 6's multimode filter.

- in parallel mode with spacing 0 the SVF has a 12dB/oct slope, like the OB-6, SEM, et al.

- in series mode if you increase or decrease the spacing the slope is not linear; it will drop off at 12dB/oct until it hits the second filter, at which point it will drop at 24dB/oct. So you can get two peaks (or notches), and the resonance will sound different because two frequencies are being emphasized (and the resonance of the first filter gets filtered by the second). If you increase the spacing enough you're basically sweeping between a 12dB and 24dB sound.

- in parallel mode if you change the spacing you'll get a similar effect except that (a) some extra harmonics will always come through where the two filters don't overlap (for instance, notches will be half as deep as in series; in BP mode both bands will reach the output), and (b) resonance from one filter won't be filtered (or boosted) by the other, both peaks will be passed to the output as-is.

It's a shame there's no way to mix two modes within the SVF, or morph between modes (LP->BP->HP), but you can still do stuff like having two notches or two resonant peaks or two filter bands moving around, and the output from that can still be lowpass filtered by the ladder. Useful for formant sounds and animated pads. The Synton Syrinx has an unusual filter section (2 BP and one LPF) and the Moog One can do similar things plus more (the Syrinx does allow each BPF to have a different Q; would be nice if the Moog could do that too). And of course you can do all the things you could do with a single SVF combined with a ladder filter.

Last edited by NewsFromTheSky; 30th October 2018 at 09:05 PM.. Reason: legibility
Old 30th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drxcm View Post
This has been asked three times in the last two pages and a potential solution has been provided.

set the iteration to 1 and the speed should not even matter... gonna test that to make sure today
Old 30th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomjab View Post
[HINT] Create a new GROUP. I made one named Gomjab to tag all my presets. Then as soon as you sit down even if you aren’t planning to create something new create a patch and assign it to your new group. Then as you tweak away hit save snapshot anytime something cool happens.
How do you find the snapshots for a preset?
Old 30th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
How do you find the snapshots for a preset?
Shift SNAPSHOT brings up a time stamped list of snapshots saved with that preset.

See page 122 of manual. At least version I have.
Old 30th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomjab View Post
Shift SNAPSHOT brings up a time stamped list of snapshots saved with that preset.
Thanks!! I knew it had to be something like that
Old 30th October 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by drxcm View Post

Yes I know. I was agreeing with the people saying that Moog should add an additional source to spare an LFO.
Old 30th October 2018
Lives for gear

Good news: It’s finally here!

Bad news: No chance of touching it till Thursday

Old 30th October 2018
Lives for gear

I posted this in the middle of a long post... should have its own spot

Old 30th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
The River has had some time to find the sweet spot presets, get tweaked, be well recorded etc.

Give the Moog a year and what is coming out of it then (after various bug fixes, new presets etc) will be every bit as good as The River (each being unique of course)
Indeed. I'm hoping to get The River from the 3rd Batch, myself, no money down yet but it's what I've chosen as my first luxe analog poly, so I'm a big fan of it...

And my concerns about the One are still there, but I'm coming around regarding the sound. That Moog Monday video played a huge part, that and fresh ears maybe.

Anyway, I agree with you... I'm now confident that there will be plenty of sweet demos of the One before long. It definitely sounds very good, vintage-y or not.
Old 30th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland4387 View Post

Torturous. Mine, if MF gets them as planned, will arrive while I am traveling for work so I feel your pain man.
Old 30th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Since others are doing a first hour initial reaction response, here is mine..

1) The sound is amazing. Nothing thin or weak about it. I don't know why the demos are recorded as they are, but I am playing sounds and there is nothing thin about the sound.

2) Here is the biggest surprise to me so far. The oscillators are amazing. I have no clue what people have been trying on their settings. But for one, the default saw is exactly that default. Its a starting point and it sounds about as good as the default saw on my virus. But the moment you play with the angle and mix even slightly, you get an instantly beautiful sounding oscillator sound. So far in my first hour, the oscillator is what is most impressive to me. Adding some slight mod to the mix and wave angles brings movement and they do sound alive. I was ready to hate these oscillators after reading here the past week. I love them. And the moment you move them off default, they are thick (whatever the opposite of thin is), and deep, and rich, whatever. Here is the sweet spot I have found so far in the first hour, use triangle, start with the wave angle turned all the way clockwise. Turn the mix knob all the way counter clockwise to 100% triangle. Now slowly mix some pulse in. As you mix that pulse in, you get a great sounding wave.

3) Fan doesn't bother me cause I am using headphones. But when I take the headphones off it sounds like a quiet but audible desktop.

4) The envelopes in their default curve setting is pretty default as well and not musical to me. When I put the decay and release on 75% exp, they sounded great.

5) everyone has their own definition of 'vintage'. But I will tell you, I dialed in a vintage sounding patch within the first 20 minutes. I moved the key tracking slightly, modulated some pitch ever so slightly, and used the pitch variance parameter ever so slightly. That mixed with the right envelope settings and some slight mix and wave angle mod, and it sounded plenty vintage to me. Warm, thick, whatever the opposite of soulless is, soulful?

Overall after an hour, I have forgotten everything I have read about this synth. There is nothing weak about it, the noise floor level is ok for me, It is not noisy enough to distract me, and I only hear it when I'm not playing any notes and turn it up. When I am playing and messing around, I don't notice it.

I'll have more later. But I have learned a lesson here. Don't trust demos, don't trust just anyone here. I'll update more after a few more hours. But so far, I love this synth.

Good to hear regarding the env settings. Happy new synth day!
Old 30th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

Congrats and sorry I'd like to think I'm getting mine tomorrow ... but

For some reason it shows on its way to Portland right now. My hopes dwindle as it drives the wrong direction.

Probably more disturbing is that I have a "care" package with cables and pedals and such that shipped at the same time that was last scanned on Friday morning and has now fallen off the FedEx tracking grid.
Old 30th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwalkerjr View Post
Torturous. Mine, if MF gets them as planned, will arrive while I am traveling for work so I feel your pain man.
It totally is. At least your reason is to pay the bills. Mine is because I’ve got the in-laws coming into town in 2 hours. *Insert triple facepalm here*
Old 30th October 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
I posted this in the middle of a long post... should have its own spot

Is that noise in the background from the Moog One? that's really loud! Scary! I would expect such a unit to be pretty dang noise free.

Is this normal?
Old 30th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
It totally is. At least your reason is to pay the bills. Mine is because I’ve got the in-laws coming into town in 2 hours. *Insert triple facepalm here*
Good luck soldier!
Old 30th October 2018
Lives for gear

Got mine too - both boxes in minty fresh condition. Tonight will be sleepless.
Old 30th October 2018
Gear Maniac

As a low poster on forums in general and GS in particular I just want to add my own humble voice to this discussion of the One, especially for people who feel on the fence and unconvinced by the demos and sounds they have heard so far. I empathize with you because if I did not have a One with me in my studio right now and had heard it in person, I would probably have canceled my preorder.. It just does not sound as good as the old synths on the same limited bandwidth media. This last demo trying to emulate Blade Runner was particularly unconvincing to me and was the drop in the water that convinced me to write a few lines..

I want to say that despite some shortcomings that have been discussed here (noise floor with full on volume and fan noise) I really love the Moog One and would like to thank Moog for creating such a beautiful instrument that I hope to keep and enjoy for many years. It feels like an incredible instrument.

I had long waited to be inspired by a modern synthesizer. I am not looking for a "vintage" tone but I could only find the old vintage synthesizers to speak to me and to move me in a way that inspired me to play and record music. Over the years I have been lucky enough to buy (and sell, but mostly buy ) really amazing synths and have owned almost everything including some very rare birds..

My One is now sitting at the center of my studio next to a CS80, a P5 rev 2, Memorymoog, Model D Musonics, Prophet VS, Sunsyn, Synthi A, Oberheim TVS, Buchla 200 etc.. and it is holding its own against all these fine synths that I have bought and kept over two decades.

It is easy for people who have not heard it in person to criticize it with all the cheap shots. Yes, it does not have a vintage sound out of the box just turning on the oscillators, but it is proving to be one of my favorite synths because of the user interface, the incredible keyboard, its flexibility and its precise organic sound. It feels like an instrument that you just do not want to stop playing and exploring. You will not get that on Youtube and Soundcloud unless you sit with it for a while.

Some people here have said it and they are right: the user interface is incredibly important and I believe the One is an outstanding achievement in UI design, and it makes all the difference to me.

People forget that the user interface is the reason that made some synths really stand out and make people create beautiful music on these instruments. A case in point is the Yamaha CS80, which by the way can sound pretty thin and unimpressive too when you are not in the sweet spot.. And no the CS80 bass sound does not sound as good as a Minimoog or maybe even a Boog. But I am drifting..

People who criticize the One's sound especially with respect to mono synthesizers forget that mono synths have different gain staging relative to polyphonic synths. It will not sound as good as a monophonic synth for bass just like the Prophet 5 in my view does not sound as good as a Pro One for bass despite having the exact same voice architecture. I am no expert technician but that is just my experience of playing these against one another.

The One can sound really lifeless and bland when using the onboard FXs and reverb IMHO, and out of the box I was really not impressed. Like a few people on this board, I did not like most of the presets because they overuse FXs. I am not sure why but these FXs do not mix/melt well with the sound. If you can afford a Moog One you should probably get yourself a decent outboard rack and mixer anyway.. For me, they are always off and for the better.

Don't let trolls convince you that this synth is not worth it because you are going to miss quite an experience. It is a pretty awesome instrument. We should all be grateful that Moog created such an instrument for us keyboard lovers and I hope they are successful in their endeavor so that they can create more..

Attached Thumbnails
Moog One-img_6009.jpg  
Old 30th October 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh View Post
The River sounds amazing. A tone beast.

Maybe Baloran will hookup a tech in the USA

For servicing just in case

That would be a game changer
Truly we live in the golden age of analog synths, with different flavors for everyone. You've got a whole zoo of VSTs available, which have their place, but I feel more lucky about the hardware synths: real tone engines, real knobs, and so on. Everything from very affordable to rarified air: mono synths, polysynths, and modular.

What a wonderful world to live in, esp. after living through the digital winter, where every "instrument" was a rompler or DX-something, with precious few knobs and buttons. Shudder!

It will be interesting to see how long this bounty lasts. Surely the market saturates at some point, and pop music styles go a different way. Me, I'm gonna enjoy it as long as I can - and never sell anything this time!!!

I do think that there is a bright future in digital synthesis, as well, but with new synthesis techniques that allow more expressivity and "organic" sound. Not too perfect - nature abhors a straight line! But that's for another day. I have enough toys to juggle for the time being. It will take time to fully digest the One!

-- jdm
Old 30th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by michenal View Post
As a low poster on forums in general and GS in particular I just want to add my own humble voice to this discussion of the One, especially for people who feel on the fence and unconvinced by the demos and sounds they have heard so far. I empathize with you because if I did not have a One with me in my studio right now and had heard it in person, I would probably have canceled my preorder.. It just does not sound as good as the old synths on the same limited bandwidth media. This last demo trying to emulate Blade Runner was particularly unconvincing to me and was the drop in the water that convinced me to write a few lines..

I want to say that despite some shortcomings that have been discussed here (noise floor with full on volume and fan noise) I really love the Moog One and would like to thank Moog for creating such a beautiful instrument that I hope to keep and enjoy for many years. It feels like an incredible instrument.

I had long waited to be inspired by a modern synthesizer. I am not looking for a "vintage" tone but I could only find the old vintage synthesizers to speak to me and to move me in a way that inspired me to play and record music. Over the years I have been lucky enough to buy (and sell, but mostly buy ) really amazing synths and have owned almost everything including some very rare birds..

My One is now sitting at the center of my studio next to a CS80, a P5 rev 2, Memorymoog, Model D Musonics, Prophet VS, Sunsyn, Synthi A, Oberheim TVS, Buchla 200 etc.. and it is holding its own against all these fine synths that I have bought and kept over two decades.

It is easy for people who have not heard it in person to criticize it with all the cheap shots. Yes, it does not have a vintage sound out of the box just turning on the oscillators, but it is proving to be one of my favorite synths because of the user interface, the incredible keyboard, its flexibility and its precise organic sound. It feels like an instrument that you just do not want to stop playing and exploring. You will not get that on Youtube and Soundcloud unless you sit with it for a while.

Some people here have said it and they are right: the user interface is incredibly important and I believe the One is an outstanding achievement in UI design, and it makes all the difference to me.

People forget that the user interface is the reason that made some synths really stand out and make people create beautiful music on these instruments. A case in point is the Yamaha CS80, which by the way can sound pretty thin and unimpressive too when you are not in the sweet spot.. And no the CS80 bass sound does not sound as good as a Minimoog or maybe even a Boog. But I am drifting..

People who criticize the One's sound especially with respect to mono synthesizers forget that mono synths have different gain staging relative to polyphonic synths. It will not sound as good as a monophonic synth for bass just like the Prophet 5 in my view does not sound as good as a Pro One for bass despite having the exact same voice architecture. I am no expert technician but that is just my experience of playing these against one another.

The One can sound really lifeless and bland when using the onboard FXs and reverb IMHO, and out of the box I was really not impressed. Like a few people on this board, I did not like most of the presets because they overuse FXs. I am not sure why but these FXs do not mix/melt well with the sound. If you can afford a Moog One you should probably get yourself a decent outboard rack and mixer anyway.. For me, they are always off and for the better.

Don't let trolls convince you that this synth is not worth it because you are going to miss quite an experience. It is a pretty awesome instrument. We should all be grateful that Moog created such an instrument for us keyboard lovers and I hope they are successful in their endeavor so that they can create more..

High praise from an obvious expert and owner of quite the collection. Thank you for sharing this with us. I in particular appreciate your candid reflection based on an earlier post from today I made for this exact type of feedback. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Old 30th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by michenal View Post
As a low poster on forums in general and GS in particular I just want to add my own humble voice to this discussion of the One, especially for people who feel on the fence and unconvinced by the demos and sounds they have heard so far.....

My One is now sitting at the center of my studio next to a CS80, a P5 rev 2, Memorymoog, Model D Musonics, Prophet VS, Sunsyn, Synthi A, Oberheim TVS, Buchla 200 etc.. and it is holding its own against all these fine synths that I have bought and kept over two decades....
Thank you for your comment!
Would it be too early to ask you, if you think a Sunsyn can be "replaced " with the ONE? I got one, so i know, they sound different, but on the other side i got the feeling, the ONE could get close in many aspects. Or would you say wven with all the possibilities they still would be too different to sell the Sunsyn (i am not in the position to be able to keep too many synths if they are too similar in results, but sti i l o v e the sunsyn sounds!)

thanks !

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search