The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Deckard's Dream, Polyphonic Aftertouch and Keyboard Controllers
Old 22nd February 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mule View Post
Yes, I saw that and it looks cool. But what I’ve found is that I really need a regular keyboard, preferably 88 weighted keys.
Completely understandable. I've lived fifty years with pianos and even synth-action keyboards still feel funny to me sometimes.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyS1 View Post
The Ensoniq VFX, VFX-SD, and TS-10 all have polyphonic aftertouch, and are pretty affordable. The SQ-80 also has poly-AT, but the mechanism tends to be very loud and liable to get worse over time. Some don't like the action of the Ensoniq keyboards, so YMMV. But they're fairly plentiful and inexpensive.
I actually bought a VFX-SD off Reverb a month or so ago but the guy shipped the wrong synth and then said he had already sold the VFX-SD so he sent the next closest thing he had. Ridiculous. So I had to ship that back. The universe does not want me to have access to polyphonic aftertouch!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mule View Post
Anyhow, sorry for the ramble, but suffice to say that after all of that, there were still connectivity problems and TouchKeys is not operating as it should. There’s no way I’m going to open this S88 up again so I’ve got to figure out what to do next. If anyone in the NYC area would like an S88 that needs a little TLC, PM me and we can work something out. I guess I’ll have to either get a Kurzweil Midiboard or wait and see if some other 88 key controllers with poly aftertouch come out soon. This quest for poly AT has been a nightmare. Ridiculous.
Thanks for the report... good to know

It is not at all a keyboard, however the Linnstrument works great in a lot of setups. I don't think of it as a replacement for a keyboard, but as a different type of instrument that has its advantages.

And besides not being a traditional keyboard, it fits very well with situations like yours. It has regular midi out so you can plug in right into any synth with midi in.

It does not need to be connected to a computer and has no dashboard app at all. Everything is intuitively and easily configured right on the instrument. It is well built and will last a long time.

One has to accept that it is a different playing experience and there is a learning curve. Guitar players tend to get along well with it because it is like guitar fretboard in layout. Playing it allows you to do stuff that is just impossible on a regular keyboard. I think having a regular keyboard and a Linnstrument compliment each other beautifully. I would never want to be without either.

Since you are in NYC, there must be a shop there that stocks them. Roger is very helpful and for people who cannot find a local store to demo will help connect the person with a local owner (if there is one) who is willing to give a demo.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by draig View Post
Thanks for the report... good to know

It is not at all a keyboard, however the Linnstrument works great in a lot of setups. I don't think of it as a replacement for a keyboard, but as a different type of instrument that has its advantages.

And besides not being a traditional keyboard, it fits very well with situations like yours. It has regular midi out so you can plug in right into any synth with midi in.

It does not need to be connected to a computer and has no dashboard app at all. Everything is intuitively and easily configured right on the instrument. It is well built and will last a long time.

One has to accept that it is a different playing experience and there is a learning curve. Guitar players tend to get along well with it because it is like guitar fretboard in layout. Playing it allows you to do stuff that is just impossible on a regular keyboard. I think having a regular keyboard and a Linnstrument compliment each other beautifully. I would never want to be without either.

Since you are in NYC, there must be a shop there that stocks them. Roger is very helpful and for people who cannot find a local store to demo will help connect the person with a local owner (if there is one) who is willing to give a demo.

Yes! I've thought about getting a Linnstrument so many times over the past few years it's not even funny. I sure wish I'd gotten one of those instead of the TouchKeys, but then again, hindsight is, well you know... While it doesn't have the regular piano keyboard that I'm comfortable with, it just seems so intuitive and expressive, and I play guitar too, so it would make sense to me in that way as well. Hmmm. More to think about. Sadly I don't have the money to buy one now, but will see how things go as spring rolls around.
📝 Reply