The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
NAMM 2019 - Your Predictions, Rumors and Desires...
Old 26th January 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmboos View Post
I got the JD800 from a friend that was moving in roughly the 2011 timeframe, so I really wasn't upset about the warranty issue since I didn't buy it. I noticed the problem in 2015 :-( I really wanted to get it repaired. What I learned was Roland didn't do anything to help make it repairable even for those that wanted to pay to do so.

To me this very much a f--- you attitude. Own the error and help make it right, even if you can't do it for what should have been for free.
What is the problem ?
Old 26th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModularOverkill View Post
Plenty of Korg PolySix owners would argue about them being super reliable.

Point being that many companies have both good and bad products and experiences. Roland has made some of the greatest synths of all time, and also some of the bigger duds. We somehow can't get enough Waldorf despite the Blofeld's firmware issues, XT/Q encoder issues, Q+ analog filter crashes, etc.

The Go Mixer Pro is amazing for what it does, and it's cheap enough that even if it's a pile that you're probably fine.
As a former polysix owner my vote is *not reliable* (for the keybed)
Old 26th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModularOverkill View Post

Point being that many companies have both good and bad products and experiences. Roland has made some of the greatest synths of all time, and also some of the bigger duds.
When is the last time Roland made one of those synths?
Old 26th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by draig View Post
When is the last time Roland made one of those synths?
System-8
Old 26th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
But we didnt have electricity and had to watch b&w tv in candlelight
Mind if i use this in my sig? I think its hilarious. You will of course get full credit.
Old 26th January 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
This vid is great on the Model Samples:

By my count this theoretically shows off 96 of the 300 sounds (presuming each of the 16 patterns has a set of 6 unique sounds within it). I'm getting closer to learning what sounds are on board.
it's a sample player, so you can load whatever sounds you like.
Old 26th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey13 View Post
So... is that the big news from Roland?

And to think Propellerhead released ReBirth over 20 years ago.
Old 26th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
System-8
ahh... well, that shows that there is no agreement at all on what constitutes a great synth.
Old 26th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not so much improved, but after the letdown on my JD-800 (red glue issue, post warranty, service center won't do it, not even enough parts left to get it repaired), I honestly try not to give Roland my money as a result. Left a bad taste in my mouth.
For DECADES Roland did an excellent job handling the red glue issue on the JD800. And only when they had no keyboards left 2-3 years ago they announced they couldnt support it anymore.

Buying a defect synth that wasnt serviced for decades and then complaining about the company, that leaves a bad taste.

Rolands "parts" division is one of the best gear supporter out there. I recently bought the parts to service my XP50 and my S-760 from them. 25 years after release, outstanding.

Quote:
I'm hoping to find something else to fill the need...
You'll be disappointed. You are not going to find a company repairing their 25 years old synths. Most recent releases do not even have service manuals anymore.
Old 26th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by draig View Post
ahh... well, that shows that there is no agreement at all on what constitutes a great synth.
There are no great synths, just great musicians
Old 26th January 2019
Gear Addict

My budget wil remain in the bankaccount for now.
The Quantum remains a wannahave but these i want even more:

Sequential poly version of pro2
Roland/SE Analog poly

Hope Messe Will bring these.
For now minilogue xd and microfreak won the show.
Would be cool to have them both as jamming machines in sync.

Sure al the Behringer stuff is spot on. I Will never buy anything of it. Dont want anything to do with it myself.
Old 26th January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
For DECADES Roland did an excellent job handling the red glue issue on the JD800. And only when they had no keyboards left 2-3 years ago they announced they couldnt support it anymore.

Buying a defect synth that wasnt serviced for decades and then complaining about the company, that leaves a bad taste.

...snip...
I know I went around looking for a solution to it as soon as I got it (might have also been 2010, can't remember exactly when my friend moved to NYC and gave it to me), but anyway, your point made me see how unreasonable it is to expect them to have had parts around - still that type of defect should have been caught.

At any rate, you convinced me enough not to hold Roland to some unreasonable standard. And so I just ordered the Go Mixer Pro - I haven't found anything out there that quite fits the bill, so I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the endorsements on Roland without getting overly snarky.

-- Back to our regularly scheduled NAMM thread.

I'm curious, is Conductive Labs there? I have their NDLR (I kickstarted it) and it is a wonderful instrument. I'm hoping they are there and getting to show it off.

Last edited by pmboos; 26th January 2019 at 03:50 PM.. Reason: clarity in first sentence
Old 26th January 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt pinchin View Post
Mind if i use this in my sig? I think its hilarious. You will of course get full credit.
I write sig lines for 25c a pop, still up for grabs

“Old people should be shot at birth”

“People who generalise are idiots” and

“My name is <insert name> is this a record?”

Old 26th January 2019
Lives for gear

It boggles my mind there’s no sound demos of Xerxes or Kijimi.
Old 26th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
I write sig lines for 25c a pop, still up for grabs

“Old people should be shot at birth”

“People who generalise are idiots” and

“My name is <insert name> is this a record?”

Do you have a stand at NAMM or are you just Behringering along with the show
Old 26th January 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoy View Post
indeed. a lot of demos from different channels on different stuff except Black Corp. Lets hope they prepare something very good
Old 26th January 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBern View Post
Do you have a stand at NAMM or are you just Behringering along with the show
Old 26th January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-d-S View Post
it's a sample player, so you can load whatever sounds you like.
Agreed, though it is in my opinion a bit painful since you have to hook it to a computer to do so and also offers no sampling capability on its own. I haven't checked, but if the sample dump standard is supported, I think that would allow transfer from another sampler though over MIDI. I just wished you could sample into it. Perhaps at a later time Elektron will create some form of add-on that allows one to do so. I guess the fact that it can hold 300 samples means you wouldn't do it too often.

My remark was mainly focused on what is already onboard. I'm trying to get a picture of what sounds. What I hear is great, but all of the examples are very electronic/dance oriented. I'm just curious what acoustic-oriented samples may already be on board.

The playing features seem great though. It has some really useful hands-on stuff that I could see really enjoying.
Old 26th January 2019
Here for the gear

So Roland first recycled VariOS technology into VP and PlugOut series (hardware side) and now is recycling the plugins (Jupiter8, tb303 and those which never have been done) but cloud based... mmmm Roland please make a sp888 (a child between the Dj1000 and Force) or Rc555 (a child between Rc505 and MpcLive). Also revamp Vsynth in boutique mode and deliver a small and not so expensive sampler with Variphrase... please...

I know, it's not going to happen never...
Old 26th January 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Agreed, though it is in my opinion a bit painful since you have to hook it to a computer to do so and also offers no sampling capability on its own. I haven't checked, but if the sample dump standard is supported, I think that would allow transfer from another sampler though over MIDI. I just wished you could sample into it. Perhaps at a later time Elektron will create some form of add-on that allows one to do so. I guess the fact that it can hold 300 samples means you wouldn't do it too often.

My remark was mainly focused on what is already onboard. I'm trying to get a picture of what sounds. What I hear is great, but all of the examples are very electronic/dance oriented. I'm just curious what acoustic-oriented samples may already be on board.

The playing features seem great though. It has some really useful hands-on stuff that I could see really enjoying.
Sample Dump Standard is supported, per the manual.
Old 26th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoy View Post
There are 2 brief Xerxes sounds posted near the end of the Xerxes thread. I've seen no vids at all!
Old 26th January 2019
Lives for gear

Modular at Lego land

Old 26th January 2019
Lives for gear

Here's hoping the Kyra guy from Korg (I want to say Randall? Too many names...) had a chance to make some patches to show off. Apparently, Waldorf dispatched Kyra with no presets! In the videos I saw, the demo guy was always just hitting a sweet spot when the video was about to wrap up. They don't budget enough time for a full sound design video, because it's a trade show. Between Waldorf and Korg, SOMEONE should have figured out a better solution. The demo guy's done a fine job winging it. If I were his boss, unless Kyra showed up THAT morning, I would've hired someone to stay up all the night before making patches.
Old 26th January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuggaMahone View Post
Here's hoping the Kyra guy from Korg (I want to say Randall? Too many names...) had a chance to make some patches to show off. Apparently, Waldorf dispatched Kyra with no presets! In the videos I saw, the demo guy was always just hitting a sweet spot when the video was about to wrap up. They don't budget enough time for a full sound design video, because it's a trade show. Between Waldorf and Korg, SOMEONE should have figured out a better solution. The demo guy's done a fine job winging it. If I were his boss, unless Kyra showed up THAT morning, I would've hired someone to stay up all the night before making patches.
Old 26th January 2019
Deleted c985153
I can see myself "using the Force" in the future. Maybe a 2020 purchase for me, as I wouldn't buy something that expensive at launch.

I cancelled my volca pre order I decided to forego the "cheap" gear option as I know it always ends up unused and eventually flipped at a loss. Definitely some great budget options this year.
Old 26th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks that video got lost in the shuffle for me!

That sounded really good. I think he clipped his recorder input a couple times, but that was a really thoughtful demo - some good preset noodling and then an oscillator and filter checkup. Just what I was hoping for.
Old 26th January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuggaMahone View Post
Thanks that video got lost in the shuffle for me!

That sounded really good. I think he clipped his recorder input a couple times, but that was a really thoughtful demo - some good preset noodling and then an oscillator and filter checkup. Just what I was hoping for.
Check out the Kyra thread at your convenience, you'll find more regular updates on the development of Kyra over there.
Old 26th January 2019
Lives for gear

the best NAMM news/deal for me was to learn on KVR, that BOZ Labs offer
a -75% coupon if you buy little clipper or gatey watey from them (for 15usd instead of 49!)

with this coupon i just bought the absolute fantastic BOZ / BENDETH 10db / hoser bundle - normally between 199 (jrr) and 299 USD (boz) for 74,50 USD.

you not only get the fantastic ADR COMPEX compressor with it's super musical gate, but also the according equalizer plus the super HOSER EQ.

(i also bought little foot, which is very handy for another i think 13 USD instead of 49)

i had been checking every day the last weeks to find a good price for these
fantastic plugins, so thank you BOZ labs, this is so so nice to have !

Old 26th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I did not like the sound of the Valkyrie, so strange that this sounds much better...

Either mental aberration on my part or they have worked some magic...

Old 26th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avantmidi View Post
For now minilogue xd and microfreak won the show.
Would be cool to have them both as jamming machines in sync.
That’s exactly my plan. I’m also going to throw an RD808 (sorry! I see how you feel about B, but I had to) in there because those three together is just a perfectly compact little powerhouse. Next time a noob posts a thread about where they should begin, I’m suggesting this trio. Play your credit cards right and this combo will soon be found for under $1K. Which is just an insane bargain.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search