The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
NAMM 2019 - Your Predictions, Rumors and Desires...
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

In previous years the rumour mill has worked pretty well - so either it doesn't any more, or there's still some surprises to turn up before the end. I don't remember that happening after the first full day of namm is already over on other years though, so it seems pretty unlikely.

Last edited by wendell r.; 25th January 2019 at 03:29 PM..
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

Old 25th January 2019
Gear Nut

So it is real after all...
Old 25th January 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendell r. View Post
In previous years the rumour mill has worked pretty well - so either it doesn't any more, or there's still some surprises to turn up before the end. I don't remember that happening after the first full day of namm is already over on other years though, so it seems pretty unlikely.
Agree. When I learned that Ed Diaz wasn't attending the event, seemed to me that there wasn't going to be anything of note. (no pun intended )
Old 25th January 2019
Gear Head

I am as happy as I can be with this NAMM. In fact, I can remember any NAMM in the last 5 years so exciting for me as this one. I mean:

-Korg volca modular: F*** yeah. I love west coast synthesis, and it's as cheap as it can get.
-Korg volca drum: Lovely little machine. Not amazing, but pretty cool for the price.
-Korg minilogue XD: I'm a programmer, so I will have fun with it. Also, I love hybrids
-Arturia MicroFreak: this thing is AMAZING. And the price...
-Elektron Model:Samples: It looks good, and the interfase look pretty agile
-Sensel Buchla Thunder: I'm completely in love with the idea of a $300 buchla thunder.

I would have love more digital/hybrid polysynths, but for small, cheap things, this was pretty good.
Old 25th January 2019
Gear Nut
@ apessino or someone please do a drop in a the ELK/mind music labs booth please. I think they have potentially really good things going on.
Old 25th January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by nahuelmijal View Post
I would have love more digital/hybrid polysynths, but for small, cheap things, this was pretty good.
That's the whole point. I won't denigrate people who buy small, cheap things, it's their money and if that makes them happy, then why not, besides it's completely ludicrous and narrow-minded to criticize people for liking things you don't. Nevertheless, I'd rather pay a bit more and get something fully sized that feels like a proper instrument. Hardware is not only about sounds, it's likewise about the experience of interacting with a proper piece of machinery. In this respect, the NAMM has been rather disillusioning thus far.
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

Kinda sux that it looks so much like a Sequential Pro-1 - all the way down to the font - that if Sequential released the same thing there would be plenty of market confusion. Would the average Guitar Center person understand the difference at all? Heck no.

I mean, you can’t build a Stratocaster and call it “Blender Stratocaster” with the spaghetti logo and same headstock shape. But plenty of companies make “S-type” and “T-Type” guitars. They just don’t say “Stratocaster” and “Telecaster”.

I know. (And I own a Neutron). I’m sure B has a _legal_ basis. It hasn’t really bothered me until this point seeing the video and seeing them totally serious about full copy/paste of the product emblem.

But it if wasn’t an identifiable icon, they wouldn’t bother to copy/paste the name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice187 View Post
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

Wow. I’m even confused myself. Had to double check the internet to re-discover that Sequential called it the “Pro-One” and not “Pro-1”. So there is at least some edit action that happened and not a literal copy/paste.

I’m sure this seems staged (it’s GS after all), but I literally just self demonstrated customer confusion. Wild.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewis_13 View Post
Kinda sux that it looks so much like a Sequential Pro-1 - all the way down to the font - that if Sequential released the same thing there would be plenty of market confusion. Would the average Guitar Center person understand the difference at all? Heck no.

I mean, you can’t build a Stratocaster and call it “Blender Stratocaster” with the spaghetti logo and same headstock shape. But plenty of companies make “S-type” and “T-Type” guitars. They just don’t say “Stratocaster” and “Telecaster”.

I know. (And I own a Neutron). I’m sure B has a _legal_ basis. It hasn’t really bothered me until this point seeing the video and seeing them totally serious about full copy/paste of the product emblem.

But it if wasn’t an identifiable icon, they wouldn’t bother to copy/paste the name.
Old 25th January 2019
Gear Nut

OK, sonicstate seemingly starts uploading their videos.

Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice187 View Post
Well, that's not the song I would have chosen to show it off but I'm glad the Bro-1 didn't get lost in the shuffle, and that they gave us a video. I'm sure we'll get more focused sound and function demos as it gets closer to the finish line. It's a testament to the times that this is so far down my list of 'wants'. It looks like Synth Willy Wonka (Uli) finally will turn into Homage-Synth Santa this year!
Old 25th January 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey13 View Post
That's the whole point. I won't denigrate people who buy small, cheap things, it's their money and if that makes them happy, then why not, besides it's completely ludicrous and narrow-minded to criticize people for liking things you don't. Nevertheless, I'd rather pay a bit more and get something fully sized that feels like a proper instrument. Hardware is not only about sounds, it's likewise about the experience of interacting with a proper piece of machinery. In this respect, the NAMM has been rather disillusioning thus far.
I wholeheartedly agree.

For me, the most important thing in an instrument is the interface, more than the pure, raw sound of it or it's features (which both come to a close second, tied).

That's why I'm amazed with this budget instruments in particular: Both the microfreak and the Sensel have MPE (though not complete in the microfreak) and all these new synths have a hands-on approach. They could have better interfaces and surely the build quality is not like a minimoog, but it seems that the mopho-like interfaces (menu diving party!) are gone for good even in the cheap front.
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

We certainly had hints on the Roland front that failed to materialize, but otherwise this seems like a pretty typical NAMM to me. If I remember correctly, the Korg Prologue got the most attention last year because there was little else competing for attention. This year's Yamaha CP73/88, Behringer's clone army, Arturia Micro Freak, Korg Minilogue xd, Akai APC, and some major firmware updates (Quantum v2.0, Forte v4.0) may not be everyone's cup of tea but there are some nice products in the mix. If you're a guitarist then there's Fender's Acoustasonic Telecaster to feel strongly about one way or another. There may still be some small surprises, such as the anticipated tease of Line-6's Helix v2.8 this evening. All in all, pretty much how I remember most of the shows that don't happen to have that one product aimed right at me.

Of course the year is also just getting started. We have enough other events on the calendar and the inevitable off-calendar surprises to keep things interesting from here.
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I wholeheartedly agree.

For me, the most important thing in an instrument is the interface, more than the pure, raw sound of it or it's features (which both come to a close second, tied).

That's why I'm amazed with this budget instruments in particular: Both the microfreak and the Sensel have MPE (though not complete in the microfreak) and all these new synths have a hands-on approach. They could have better interfaces and surely the build quality is not like a minimoog, but it seems that the mopho-like interfaces (menu diving party!) are gone for good even in the cheap front.
Also check out the Stylophone GenR8 $349. Fierce sounding synth, 'different' interface to replace the traditional keys. Thanks for pointing out the Sensel Morph and its Buchla Thunder overlay, I hadn't heard of it.
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear
SonicState flood

Old 25th January 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuggaMahone View Post
Also check out the Stylophone GenR8 $349. Fierce sounding synth, 'different' interface to replace the traditional keys. Thanks for pointing out the Sensel Morph and its Buchla Thunder overlay, I hadn't heard of it.
Yes! I'd forgotten about that! It's lovely! Though my wallet is pretty empty for now
Old 25th January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:

...snip...

This is the trend or story for this NAMM thus far IMHO. And that is a good thing... It will also put pressure on the more expensive systems to (continue) also do this... It will push more innovation to the higher end as well.

Every company needs cash cows to fund experiments as they grow. For example, I bet the Volcas, Monologue, and Minilogue are those for Korg.
Old 25th January 2019
Gear Nut

So... is that the big news from Roland?

Old 25th January 2019
Gear Nut

That Verbos Electronics controller looks interesting...
Old 25th January 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:

Noobie question: when he says there are 300 velocity levels for the drum samples using a round robin, what does he mean? Each time a sample is triggered there are 300 possible articulations/nuances that are randomly selected - so, for example, a bass drum at velocity 1 might sound slightly thinner, and quieter, than at velocity 2?

Would a program like Superior Drummer use 127 velocity levels? And a sample in a drum rack in Ableton use only one level (unless I go and, tediously, create a different sample per velocity for 127 samples and then round robin them)?
Old 25th January 2019
Well Im kinda glad theres a bunch of “toys” being released...we have a sh1tload of decent synths now covering just about everything...go look at a sweetwater catalogue from 6-7 years ago, then look at it now. Not every year has to be some 16 voice flagship. Anything $300 down is an impulse buy for me (not belittling those with less didposable cash, Im ancient), many of which end up on ebay down the line, thats the beauty of them, theyre fun, you get bored of them, sell them and move on... Ive made a whole track out of volcas, didnt sound like toys to me.

I remember being a 15 year old with a four track, squier strat, and a casio keyboard...Id have thought Id have died and gone to heaven if these “toys” were around back then. But we didnt have electricity and had to watch b&w tv in candlelight , so its a moot point
Old 25th January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
Well Im kinda glad theres a bunch of “toys” being released...we have a sh1tload of decent synths now covering just about everything...go look at a sweetwater catalogue from 6-7 years ago, then look at it now. Not every year has to be some 16 voice flagship. Anything $300 down is an impulse buy for me (not belittling those with less didposable cash, Im ancient), many of which end up on ebay down the line, thats the beauty of them, theyre fun, you get bored of them, sell them and move on... Ive made a whole track out of volcas, didnt sound like toys to me.

I remember being a 15 year old with a four track, squier strat, and a casio keyboard...Id have thought Id have died and gone to heaven if these “toys” were around back then. But we didnt have electricity and had to watch b&w tv in candlelight , so its a moot point
Ain't that the truth... My first 'synth' was a Casio MT-30 (I miss funny fuzz). The first band I was in, I plopped this on top of a Fender Rhodes my college jazz band had and next to an Arp 2600 (I think it was) that I borrowed from the physics department.
Old 25th January 2019
Gear Nut

Old 25th January 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmboos View Post
Ain't that the truth... My first 'synth' was a Casio MT-30 (I miss funny fuzz). The first band I was in, I plopped this on top of a Fender Rhodes my college jazz band had and next to an Arp 2600 (I think it was) that I borrowed from the physics department.
Lol @ arp in the physics class
Old 25th January 2019
Gear Nut

Old 25th January 2019
Quote:
Yah, and one of only two NEW instruments in the Roland Cloud, "SRX World" (the one I'm most interested in) he didn't download into the demo machine. Instead he said, "Maybe I'll download it when I get home." WTF???
Old 25th January 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
Lol @ arp in the physics class
Our sister high school, Rolling Hills High, had an Arp 2600 (I went to Palos Verdes High in SoCal).
Old 25th January 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
We certainly had hints on the Roland front that failed to materialize, but otherwise this seems like a pretty typical NAMM to me . . .
Yes—sort of the spirit of my earlier post—there's such an ample array of excellent product out there already these days, it's hard to feel too bitter (I just knew that chances of the Roland/SE announcement was going to be 50/50 at best). I just feel fortunate that I got back into synths after Dave and Tom had already released both the Prophet 6 (Winter NAMM, 2015), and the OB-6 (Winter NAMM, 2016).
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cresshead View Post
what are you moaning about?
look...

This would easily be the best NAMM ever if Yamaha had that dog from the promo video at their booth playing this thing.
Old 25th January 2019
Gear Nut

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search