The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
NAMM 2019 - Your Predictions, Rumors and Desires... Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Could be.. there's a major hardware synth revival underway, and it could be all the major firms are getting wary of advance pre-publicity.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendell r. View Post
Don't remember a lead-up to Namm as quiet as this for years.

Likewise I don't remember there being as many rumours in the lead-up to NAMM as this ever before.

Strange..

I honestly think Behringer announcements are going to overshadow a lot of other things tbh. Perhaps people are waiting to reveal things so they can let the initial impact of Behringer etc announcements wear off.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasseru View Post
what do you like it for? I've got the roland cloud version and tried to get into it but i have too many new synths and it doesnt get any love.

I can feel its jp8000 heritage, and like the cowbell osc but havent made any amaaazing patches with it yet
the sound is electrifying. i have a few real analogues (JDXI, pulse 2) and they sound like ass compared to this. well, they sound good... but not woah! keanu reeves type good.

the hands on aspect is killer. tweaking the high res knobs and hearing the effect in real time is very satisfying. many goosebump moments. since the update, one of the best things is trying out the 8 different filters on all the existing patches, they all have a very different vibe on the same patch. very interesting and very useful if you are trying to fit something into the mix.

being able to flip the plug-out instantly is great, i use different plug-outs for different things. e.g. i love the JX-3P for dark silky sounds, the JP8 for searing leads but i use the S8 engine exclusively for pads and atmospheres. i love the 106 for its trademark gorgeous spacey sound, that was actually what i got it for primarily.

FM is awesome when used in performance mode with traditional waveforms layered on top. the S8 offers a lot in a relatively compact package and it is all at your finger tips. no after touch... a shame but doesn't detract from the awesomeness that is there. would i sacrifice all the different filters on the S8 engine for AT? not a chance. there are many keyboards out there with AT after all.

the cloud has great sound but is missing out on the main pulling point of the S8 hardware which ties everything in nice and efficiently.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidizer View Post

the cloud has great sound but is missing out on the main pulling point of the S8 hardware which ties everything in nice and efficiently.
ahhh i see you;re talking about the whole package - yeah that does sound tempting (i like the cloud synths)

I was referring to the S8 engine by itself really.
Old 3 weeks ago
apparently new roland stuff will mainly be new roland cloud offerings.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

for me the sideband filter (from the V-synth i believe) brings the S8 from an excellent synth to a truly mesmerizing synth. that was a master stroke including that. it sounds a bit crap and flangey most of the time and i don't think it is popular with most people but there are secret settings where it actually comes to life! could listen to a single chord sustained for hours just listening to the aberrations and refractions in the sound it makes.

the ladder filter from the S1 deserves a shout out too. sounds MASSIVE.

any S16 minus the SBF is a non starter for me.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

There will be nothing new from Roland.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

I think if Roland want to impress on the digital / VST front, they should release all cloud plug-ins for sale outright so that people have a choice to keep them forever rather than be tied to a service that might get taken down in the future.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotcha View Post
There will be nothing new from Roland.
well it's kinda something new from Roland, but nothing to get excited about! NAMM 2019: Roland Intros TM-1 Trigger Module
and there is their new digital FP-10 piano as well.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Too technical for me glad there's a video to help

Seriously am I awake
Old 3 weeks ago
SERIOUSLY, where is Empirical Labs?

Almighty Derr, please save us in our time of need.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 46dc28f View Post
That's gotta be leftover from last year.
I wondered that myself but if it is then it seems a bit slack on the housekeeping side of things from a big multinational company like Roland. Especially as it says New Products.
Attached Thumbnails
NAMM 2019 - Your Predictions, Rumors and Desires...-rnp.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Yamaha had a vocaloid keytar last year in the same form factor, but probably more fun than this new one for dogs and kids that've had too much sugar
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Yamaha are supposed to have just created a whole new musical product division, and releasing up to 50 products with it. You would think that means more than a keytar..
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by screentan View Post
I wondered that myself but if it is then it seems a bit slack on the housekeeping side of things from a big multinational company like Roland. Especially as it says New Products.
sorry boys, but that was september 2018..

Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannykorrson View Post
sorry boys, but that was september 2018..

For some reason almost nothing has more pathos than old product build-ups
Old 3 weeks ago
Deleted 46dc28f
Quote:
Originally Posted by screentan View Post
Now I remember the Slutz thread, it ended in disaster, as expected: New Roland Products Drop 9/13
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagoo View Post
Yamaha had a vocaloid keytar last year in the same form factor, but probably more fun than this new one for dogs and kids that've had too much sugar
I dont think you can use the term vocaloid anymore, its “vocally impaired”
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendell r. View Post
For some reason almost nothing has more pathos than old product build-ups
This is the quality s*** they have lined up for 2019.

News: Roland Cloud Announces Globe-Spanning SRX WORLD And Drum Studio-Acoustic One - NAMM 2019
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

We need more Keytar choices.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxisaxis View Post
Yamaha trying to out-nerd us. . . but they do get some strong bonus points for the dog.
I would have gone with a cat. Cats are finicky and that might have just been enough to convince me it crosses over into awesomeness.

More seriously, it looks like it has minikeys (not great for a controller IMHO). Bluetooth MIDI is unattractive to me. I haven't had bluetooth work so well crossing to my stereo, why would I want to use that in any form of performance other than a kids party? (Oh wait... ) A real MIDI out would have been nice... I actually like the look though - the clean style makes it pretty futuristic looking.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey13 View Post
Perhaps stakes are getting higher as well as more and more people are taking interest in synths...
From an "intel" standpoint, showing what you are bringing 3 months or so before you are showing up doesn't give anyone ay time to recreate what you are doing (with the exception of maybe some software, but you'd need to reveal all the features and as the person recreating it, you'd have to be really good technically with a good CI pipline). So stakes can't be it IMHO.

Maybe everyone has cut the budget of their marketing?
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroichi View Post
I honestly think Behringer announcements are going to overshadow a lot of other things tbh. Perhaps people are waiting to reveal things so they can let the initial impact of Behringer etc announcements wear off.
B’s announcements would have been more powerful if they hadn’t been leaking them for years.. although they are clearly ramping up the clones.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmboos View Post
From an "intel" standpoint, showing what you are bringing 3 months or so before you are showing up doesn't give anyone ay time to recreate what you are doing (with the exception of maybe some software, but you'd need to reveal all the features and as the person recreating it, you'd have to be really good technically with a good CI pipline). So stakes can't be it IMHO.

Maybe everyone has cut the budget of their marketing?
I was thinking more about the wow effect which releasing a synth 'out of the blue' might generate. I mean it's just a speculation on my part, but I think DSI's modus operandi has worked out so far, so other companies might be taking a leaf from their book.

Your point seems cogent as well. Traditional marketing strategies are gradually becoming more and more obsolete, so maybe they've figured out it's more efficient to promote their products via social media instead of old ways of promotion and it's better to save some money in the process.

BTW, a new demo:

Old 3 weeks ago
Komplete Start

Komplete Audio 1 and 2

Komplete Kontrol M32

Traktor DJ 2

And software updates: Native Instruments product announcements
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Where’s Gattobus when you need him ?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleer View Post
Where’s Gattobus when you need him ?
From want he hinted at and said about the prototypes he had with him, I was expecting something .... but I suppose it may not be ready yet, what ever it is?

He did say watch for NAMM 2019 though.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Let’s hope so
More on Privia:

The new PRIVIA PX-S1000 and PX-S3000 come equipped with the Company's proprietary, next-generation technology – AiR Sound Source – which accurately reproduces the complex tone, mechanical sounds, and atmospheric qualities of a grand piano. They are also outfitted with Casio's improved scaled hammer action keyboard, which enables even more delicate expression to facilitate any style of piano playing.

Designed with a glossy top panel that evokes a luxurious acoustic grand, a slim unibody chassis and ebony and ivory textured keys, the PRIVIA PX-S1000 and PX-S3000 are ideal for use at home or on the go. Both units offer a touch panel control surface, 192-note polyphony, six types of key simulators, Bluetooth audio, Chordana Play for Piano app compatibility, optional AA battery power and an included AC adaptor. Additionally, the PX-S3000 boasts a graphic LCD display, two-track MIDI recorder, 700 tones, 200 rhythms, two assignable knobs and more.

Additionally, musicians can choose optional items for both the PX-S1000 and PX-S3000 which include a new three pedal unit and a compact bag that is designed to hold the piano and all of its accessories. The PRIVIA PX-S1000 (MSRP: $899.99) and PX-S3000 (MSRP: $1199.99) digital pianos will be available this spring at select music dealers nationwide.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search