The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I purchase a Digitone.. returned it. It gave me a sequencer epiphany. Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 24th November 2018
Gear Addict

I went with a Digitakt and love it. It suits me, because I’m not doing complex sequencing. I record my jams/beats into AudioShare on iOS, save them to Dropbox. So I’m building a nice loop library. The iPad with the LP-5 app can sync to the Digitakt to play back loops. I’m using the Iconnentivity Audio4+ for iOS audio and midi. If I wanted too, a computer could join this party since the Audio4+ has connection for two computers at once. I’m not missing my DAWs, ableton and Bitwig. I feel very inspired and am having a lot of fun.
Old 25th November 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost_the_peace View Post
guyacier - can mpcs do triplets, polyrhythms, ratchets etc. midi sequencing? Do they make better sequencers than a digitakt?

Finding the digitakt a little more limiting than I'd like although love conditional and trigless trigs and it sounds great
Jumping in just for this particular question since it seems no one answered it.

MPC Live is definitely more flexible than the Digitakt as a sequencer - although the Digitakt is pretty good.

You don't have as much in terms of doing probability and parameter locks - but you have everything else you talked about. Triplets - yes, polyrhythms - with some work (a good way to do this would be to use the new 'pattern' mode with the arpeggiator / note repeat function in OS 2.3), or just playing them in by hand. Polymeter stuff is super easy, since each track can have its loop length set independently. I use this all the time to drop 3,7 or 12 step sequences over 16. Fantastic for percussion or weird acid lines.

Ratchets - yes, you have note divide, which lets you split a single note into any number of segments (repeats). And of course, very good midi sequencing including program changes, automation, and decent sync.

Pad performance mode is also very nice, especially with the new arpeggiator. Its basically customizable chords per pad, you can set the scale, mode, intervals, etc. Haven't seen this particular feature on any other sequencers before.

New 2.3 OS also came with 3 very nice synths and a lot of updates on the internal fx.
Old 25th November 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioel View Post
Jumping in just for this particular question since it seems no one answered it.

MPC Live is definitely more flexible than the Digitakt as a sequencer - although the Digitakt is pretty good.

You don't have as much in terms of doing probability and parameter locks - but you have everything else you talked about. Triplets - yes, polyrhythms - with some work (a good way to do this would be to use the new 'pattern' mode with the arpeggiator / note repeat function in OS 2.3), or just playing them in by hand. Polymeter stuff is super easy, since each track can have its loop length set independently. I use this all the time to drop 3,7 or 12 step sequences over 16. Fantastic for percussion or weird acid lines.

Ratchets - yes, you have note divide, which lets you split a single note into any number of segments (repeats). And of course, very good midi sequencing including program changes, automation, and decent sync.

Pad performance mode is also very nice, especially with the new arpeggiator. Its basically customizable chords per pad, you can set the scale, mode, intervals, etc. Haven't seen this particular feature on any other sequencers before.

New 2.3 OS also came with 3 very nice synths and a lot of updates on the internal fx.
I agree, 3x internal synths now part of the main OS was a pretty big surprise.
Old 14th December 2018
Gear Maniac

Well, after almost two months the MPC Live has gone.

Dave Smith Tempest has taken it's place..
Old 15th December 2018
Gear Head

For me, the MPC Live and deepmind 12 is a great combo for creating. Add a mic, guitar and bass too.
Old 15th December 2018
Gear Maniac

As mentioned earlier in the thread - the iPad is an amazing sequencer and midi controller (non keyboard). Truly. There's even KORG iElectribe, AKAI iMPC Pro or Groover Rider GR-16 if drum machine is your style. Lots of MIDI generators, too. I personally wouldn't get a hardware sequencer - just instruments. But I understand the desire to have hands on. But touch is close - and can even be unique.

I have an ipad, SE-02, Ultranova and am thinking of getting a drumbrute impact. Plus a fully loaded PC DAW and software mixer (mixbus 32c).
Old 15th December 2018
Lives for gear

I'm just going to say this, don't let the wait time for a Cirklon give you cognitive dissonance and convince yourself that it's not worth it.

It's worth it.

And if you're not going to use CV then don't get the CV board, it will be less expensive that way anyway. Definitely won't be £2000, it will probably BE in the price range you're looking for. I say get a good sequencer with solid features and solid timing rather than one tied to a sound engine you don't really like or eventually will get tired of.
Old 15th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coxys View Post
Well, after almost two months the MPC Live has gone.

Dave Smith Tempest has taken it's place..
Welcome to Slutzdome! Two sequencers enter, one sequencer leaves!

What was the turnoff with the Live and the turnon with the Tempest?
Old 15th December 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntonica View Post
Welcome to Slutzdome! Two sequencers enter, one sequencer leaves!

What was the turnoff with the Live and the turnon with the Tempest?
Haha that sums it up really well.

Using the Live was fun, it was fairly immediate in starting a song/jam/etc but over time I personally struggled with these aspects.
  • Lack of immediacy/intimacy with the music itself
  • It's Program/Track/Sequence structure
  • General flow of usage
  • Minor irks like FX loading was slower than I had liked (no quick scrolling and being presented at the start of the very long list every time rather than last location)
  • It was also actually too much for what I needed

To summarise, in use it felt like a digital machine and it operated in a digital way (obvious yeah? ) which for me removed the intimacy between me and the music. It offered too much.

I also realised how much I don't like working with samples beyond drums

So I went back to basics, wrote down everything I liked about it, everything I didn't and tried to drill down to exactly the core elements of what was I was looking for, how I work, how I think, what will complement my existing gear, what will conflict with my existing setup etc then went back on the search.

Thus the DSI Tempest landed.
It's quick, it's immediate, it's synthesis, it's focussed, it's analogue. I love it.

If I could sum up The tempest - It has a fluidity in use, I feel closer to the sound and it feels like an instrument rather than just another "process of production."

I knew it was the right choice after about two hours of use.

So there we are.. Perhaps I'll see you again in another 2 months when I'm talking about how much I love my new Pyramid and the Tempest was just too analogue
Old 15th December 2018
Here for the gear

Ok, I'm jumping in here late and I am mostly a lurker here, but sequencers are what got me back into this electronic thing as well as a love for minimal wave/minimal synth and electro.

I see you've removed the mpc live, so this might not matter, but here are the sequencers I've had since 2014. Some of it is eurorack, so please bare with me.

Korg Sq-1
MPC Live
Audio Damage Seqeuncer 1
Intellijel Metropolis (Mylar Melodies video is what got me into the modular rabbit hole)
Pittsburgh Lifeforms KB-1 (twice)
Stepper Acid (twice)
TB03 (does this count?)
Elektron Analog Rytm
Elektron Digitone
Squarp Pyramid
Beatstep Pro
Kilpatrick Carbon
Keystep
Ableton and Push2
MPC X
Zetaohm FLXS 1

and 1 incoming: the Five12 vector sequencer (basically hardware numerology)

What I have left:
MPC X
Beatstep Pro
Key Step

The only thing I regret and will probably have again is the Metropolis. What an fun thing that is.
I hated the pyramid. Hated ableton and push. Liked the sequencer in Digitone like you, but realized that I would rather sell that and MPC Live and upgrade to the MPC X. So glad that I did. The big screen and labeled q links are worth the upgrade, but the cv are also really great as a modular user.

The beauty of the MPC in my opinion is that it can be a simple midi switch and a midi recorder for any other sequencer with midi. So if I want to do Beat Step pro XOX style sequencing, I just take the midi out and put it into the midi in as to sequence any of the programs I'm working in the mpc and then record that midi data. Now I can edit in the grid If I want or just rinse and repeat. I really enjoy this way of working and I think the MPC can be a bit feature heavy (like a DAW)
but I don't use many of the features.

I use it as my drum machine and main sequencer. I would never consider trading it for a Cirklon however, I would love to use a Cirklon in conjunction with it. That would be the ulimate combo in my opinion.

Anyway, You got rid of your MPC, but anyone following along should consider one. The workflow is super simple once you get used to it and all should get MPC tutors MPC Bible.

Finding the right sequencer can be a very personal and long hunt, but I've finally found mine and hope the same for you.

Cheers
Old 15th December 2018
Here's another one: MIDIbox SEQ v4+
It's a bit like the Cirklon but different. It is DIY but the price is very reasonable. Open source, mature project (so it works )
productpage: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-...l#post13687647
for specifications see the SEQ V4 (same engine, different user interface)

I also have an MPC 1000. That's cool too, but obviously different (JJ OS).
Old 15th December 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrZero View Post
O
Please post when you have it?
Old 17th December 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrZero View Post
Ok, I'm jumping in here late and I am mostly a lurker here, but sequencers are what got me back into this electronic thing as well as a love for minimal wave/minimal synth and electro.

I see you've removed the mpc live, so this might not matter, but here are the sequencers I've had since 2014. Some of it is eurorack, so please bare with me.

Korg Sq-1
MPC Live
Audio Damage Seqeuncer 1
Intellijel Metropolis (Mylar Melodies video is what got me into the modular rabbit hole)
Pittsburgh Lifeforms KB-1 (twice)
Stepper Acid (twice)
TB03 (does this count?)
Elektron Analog Rytm
Elektron Digitone
Squarp Pyramid
Beatstep Pro
Kilpatrick Carbon
Keystep
Ableton and Push2
MPC X
Zetaohm FLXS 1

What I have left:
MPC X
Beatstep Pro
Key Step

The only thing I regret and will probably have again is the Metropolis. What an fun thing that is.
I hated the pyramid. Hated ableton and push. Liked the sequencer in Digitone like you, but realized that I would rather sell that and MPC Live and upgrade to the MPC X. So glad that I did. The big screen and labeled q links are worth the upgrade, but the cv are also really great as a modular user.

The beauty of the MPC in my opinion is that it can be a simple midi switch and a midi recorder for any other sequencer with midi. So if I want to do Beat Step pro XOX style sequencing, I just take the midi out and put it into the midi in as to sequence any of the programs I'm working in the mpc and then record that midi data. Now I can edit in the grid If I want or just rinse and repeat. I really enjoy this way of working and I think the MPC can be a bit feature heavy (like a DAW)
but I don't use many of the features.

I use it as my drum machine and main sequencer. I would never consider trading it for a Cirklon however, I would love to use a Cirklon in conjunction with it. That would be the ulimate combo in my opinion.

Anyway, You got rid of your MPC, but anyone following along should consider one. The workflow is super simple once you get used to it and all should get MPC tutors MPC Bible.

Finding the right sequencer can be a very personal and long hunt, but I've finally found mine and hope the same for you.

Cheers
Any good places or videos that show this kind of work flow you're describing?
Old 18th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioel View Post
Can you elaborate on this. Are there preset chords to start with or is the only way to set a chord on a pad is to build your own (without Akai suggestions)?
Old 19th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by donato View Post
Polyend Seq

It's pretty basic, but in an Elektron way. I love mine.

There's an 11 video tutorial demonstration, and that's the first video but I can't seem to be able to post the playlist. If you want to know more just click on the author's videos and check out the instructional playlist.
If I didn't like the Deluge as much as I do, I would be getting me the Polyend Seq.
Old 19th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

Thoughts? Help and advice welcomed hence the post.
Just going to throw this in the pond. It looks like an awesome sequencer, but I haven't tried it.

Misa Digital NSC-32

nsc-32 - Misa Digital
Old 20th December 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Haha that sums it up really well.

Using the Live was fun, it was fairly immediate in starting a song/jam/etc but over time I personally struggled with these aspects.
  • Lack of immediacy/intimacy with the music itself
  • It's Program/Track/Sequence structure
  • General flow of usage
  • Minor irks like FX loading was slower than I had liked (no quick scrolling and being presented at the start of the very long list every time rather than last location)
  • It was also actually too much for what I needed

To summarise, in use it felt like a digital machine and it operated in a digital way (obvious yeah? ) which for me removed the intimacy between me and the music. It offered too much.

I also realised how much I don't like working with samples beyond drums

So I went back to basics, wrote down everything I liked about it, everything I didn't and tried to drill down to exactly the core elements of what was I was looking for, how I work, how I think, what will complement my existing gear, what will conflict with my existing setup etc then went back on the search.

Thus the DSI Tempest landed.
It's quick, it's immediate, it's synthesis, it's focussed, it's analogue. I love it.

If I could sum up The tempest - It has a fluidity in use, I feel closer to the sound and it feels like an instrument rather than just another "process of production."

I knew it was the right choice after about two hours of use.

So there we are.. Perhaps I'll see you again in another 2 months when I'm talking about how much I love my new Pyramid and the Tempest was just too analogue
DSI Tempest still feeling like the right choice, okay it was left field as not a true external sequencer but I can midi clock everything and the machine itself feels uber immediate and inspiring. Very easy to do whole tracks on and very easy to chain them together for longer live sessions.

So far very pleased but need more time with it and time limited at the moment due to Xmas holidays.
Old 20th December 2018
Lives for gear
New Alesis Multipad drum pad thingy for drum sampler bit doenst have a sequencer..for that get a digitak...analog poly Deep Mind 12...

Last edited by zawinul; 20th December 2018 at 08:41 PM..
Old 20th December 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by zawinul View Post
New Alesis Multipad drum pad thingy for drum sampler bit doesMt have a sequencer..get a digital. ..both for 1200..analog poly Deep Mind 12...
Seems interesting. Could you translate your post to something coherent?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search