The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I purchase a Digitone.. returned it. It gave me a sequencer epiphany. Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 4 days ago
  #31
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbenway View Post
Fwiw though I have my currently Digitakt hooked up to my main rig to jam together the skeleton of midi sequences in to my DAW. It’s also ideal for headphone jams on the sofa while my OH is watching TV - it’s probably the best Elektron option for what you’re trying to do imho because it has midi sequencing - also own Rytm and A4. However for me it’s very much a sketch box, unlike the MPC I can’t imagine doing full tracks with it.
Commonly said about the digitakt, while I don't disagree, features like global and pattern track mutes, and conditional/trigless trigs, to me make it capable for complete songs of certain styles especially techno without being too repetitive, *but* you need to perform with it and can't fire and forget or it will get boring. It does miss some performance tools like transpose (I use different patterns one transposed from the other since you can have 4x16 patterns per project/tune)

I managed a 12 min single song live out of it ok using 16 patterns, that wasn't too repetitive, owing to these features. It took an age to program for the set with that tune though! Would be easier on a DAW but you get different results on a DAW too. Together they are great!
Old 4 days ago
  #32
Lives for gear
 
asynchro_nous's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coxys View Post
Not really if you think about it.

Things like the MPC offer arguably similar sequencer output to the Pyramid yet also come with a means of generating output of their own thus could tick off two items for one on my list. So when faced with a specific budget the thinking starts to become logical.
Yeah, I guess if you look at it that way. I like the idea of something like a Pyramid, but for the same money I can get a bunch of sequencers that come with mono synths attached, haha.

Also, have you considered the Beat Step Pro?
Old 4 days ago
  #33
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by lost_the_peace View Post
Together they are great!
For sure - I don’t use it in that way but that doesn’t mean you couldn’t do full tracks with it. At the moment I’m leaning on what I see as the strengths of each part of my setup - Digi for an ideas box, DAW for arranging and “finishing”, MPC somewhere in between those two.

The Digi definitely has great jamming potential though, I’d like at some stage to put together a live set with the MPC providing the backbone, Digi for sample mangling and maybe one other synth, possibly the Sub37.
Old 3 days ago
  #34
Gear Maniac
 
Coxys's Avatar
Just thought I'd drop in an update. Spent most of my spare time on the weekend researching all reasonable options from magazines, youtube, advice and suggestions here, google ad nauseam.

After much deliberation ended up purchasing a second hand MPC Live via a good deal today. Now the delivery wait...

I'm going to hook it up to my Ultranova and existing monitoring setup, load up some samples and get to know it for a few weeks at least and hold on to the rest of the budget until I get a feel for what would compliment it analogue synth wise.

My gut feel (and I've mapped it out on paper for some reason) is;

MPC Live
-->Ultranova
-->Moog or Prophet of either description
-->Virus C for it's very good multi-timbrality, great utility and great sound.

Synthwave and all it's derivatives.

With that setup I already feel quite hyped about it's potential but that's long game and won't be an overnight thing.

What appealed to me with the MPC was
  • Good number of physical outs
  • Truly portable
  • A good blend of modern and traditional approach to sequencing.
  • Is already a sampler

Last edited by Coxys; 3 days ago at 07:16 PM..
Old 3 days ago
  #35
Gear Addict
 

Another possible left-field choice, but I was in a similar situation recently and surveyed the options and went with

an iPad and a Akai MPD218.

Using Modstep as a midi recorder/sequencer. Can mix step-sequencing and piano-roll type midi recording. Pattern based like the default Ableton view. But much simpler than Ableton or another DAW.

Can load au3 format plugins on the iPad for drum machines or synths.

Can also easily control hardware synths. I regularly have it control a Minitaur and sometimes a Mother 32, Monologue, and Sub Phatty.

It is also quite a convenient platform then, once the songs are recorded, to send midi over to the desktop for finishing a track. Just send each track out as a midi file and loop em. Or audio if that works better for you. (I actually do a mix of both).
Old 3 days ago
  #36
Gear Maniac
 
markwalkerjr's Avatar
The iPad is an incredible sequencer and midi controller. Tons of creative options for non traditional playing of synths and modules. I love Navichord, Gesturment, Step Poly Arp, and Chord Pad to name a few. Last weekend was a revelation to me after downloading "midi guitar by Jam origin." Since I am a much better guitar player than piano player I found myself playing things on my hardware synths I could only have sequenced previously. Plus it helps force me to keep my playing tight and clean. Just love what that little tablet can do in my studio.
Old 3 days ago
  #37
Gear Maniac
 
Coxys's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner View Post
Another possible left-field choice, but I was in a similar situation recently and surveyed the options and went with

an iPad and a Akai MPD218.

Using Modstep as a midi recorder/sequencer. Can mix step-sequencing and piano-roll type midi recording. Pattern based like the default Ableton view. But much simpler than Ableton or another DAW.

Can load au3 format plugins on the iPad for drum machines or synths.

Can also easily control hardware synths. I regularly have it control a Minitaur and sometimes a Mother 32, Monologue, and Sub Phatty.

It is also quite a convenient platform then, once the songs are recorded, to send midi over to the desktop for finishing a track. Just send each track out as a midi file and loop em. Or audio if that works better for you. (I actually do a mix of both).
See above mate.
Old 3 days ago
  #38
Lives for gear
 
dirtROBOT's Avatar
The squarp pyramid is a much better sequencer than the mpc live (I own both). You can make a lot of music with volca instruments - I wouldn't spend so much on a mono synth like the sub 37 - you would be better off with a jdxi or novation bass station 2 (even a mono station). The ultranova can basically get you anywhere for poly sounds, including extremely convincing 80s synth stuff. The jdxi has some of the best 80s roland waveforms as well and fantastic drums.





Old 3 days ago
  #39
Gear Maniac
 
Coxys's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtROBOT View Post
The squarp pyramid is a much better sequencer than the mpc live (I own both). You can make a lot of music with volca instruments - I wouldn't spend so much on a mono synth like the sub 37 - you would be better off with a jdxi or novation bass station 2 (even a mono station). The ultranova can basically get you anywhere for poly sounds, including extremely convincing 80s synth stuff. The jdxi has some of the best 80s roland waveforms as well and fantastic drums.
No I beg to differ on the Ultranova. I do not like its tonal offerings at all. Plasticly, often brittle sounding on filter open stuff. The first video you posted if I'm honest sounds awful. The mono recording doesn't help either. Despite my reservations about the Ultranova sound it can do much better than that video.

At lower filter settings its bass sounds can be quite nice and that's how I intend to use it with this setup and it's ARP capabilities.

I won't likely head down the bass station route. The Novation Peak certainly appeals though if it's not a Sub 37 or Prophet.

Do you own a Sub 37, do you not like it? I appreciate it's pricey .. but that sound.
Old 3 days ago
  #40
Here for the gear
 

i don’t get why everyone who looks for a sequencer almost never considers the rm1x, sure it’s bulky and heavy af if you have to gig a lot but it’s absolutly the best when you compare its price and capabilities with every other sequencer on the market today. it may sound ****ty but there are a couple valid rompler sound in it and you don’t have to actually use them if you don’t want. never tried the pyramid but it’s better than any other hw sequencer i’ve ever tried, and you’ve got more money to spend on your “real” synths.
Old 2 days ago
  #41
Lives for gear
 
dirtROBOT's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coxys View Post
No I beg to differ on the Ultranova. I do not like its tonal offerings at all. Plasticly, often brittle sounding on filter open stuff. The first video you posted if I'm honest sounds awful. The mono recording doesn't help either. Despite my reservations about the Ultranova sound it can do much better than that video.

At lower filter settings its bass sounds can be quite nice and that's how I intend to use it with this setup and it's ARP capabilities.

I won't likely head down the bass station route. The Novation Peak certainly appeals though if it's not a Sub 37 or Prophet.

Do you own a Sub 37, do you not like it? I appreciate it's pricey .. but that sound.
The peak could also do amazing synthwave/retrowave - but that's also not a genre I associate with the sub37 - I'd put that money onto the peak instead in a heartbeat with those genres in mind.
Old 2 days ago
  #42
Lives for gear
 
stopthesignal's Avatar
 

I'm a big, big fan of the Pyramid. That said, sequencers are very subjective. You either connect with them or you don't. If you've connected with the Elektron approach to sequencing, I think you'd probably be best off going with an Elektron box, such as the Digitakt.
Old 2 days ago
  #43
Gear Maniac
 
Coxys's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by stopthesignal View Post
I'm a big, big fan of the Pyramid. That said, sequencers are very subjective. You either connect with them or you don't. If you've connected with the Elektron approach to sequencing, I think you'd probably be best off going with an Elektron box, such as the Digitakt.
Too late, MPC Live arriving in a few days.
Old 2 days ago
  #44
Lives for gear
 

related question, what sequencers have auto mapping of incoming midi CC#?

octatrack
cirklon

any others?
Old 2 days ago
  #45
Gear Maniac
I can´t believe nobody has mentioned the Deluge. Hope you enjoy the MPC but you really should check out the Deluge before you settle!
Old 2 days ago
  #46
Gear Maniac
 
Coxys's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by defdaft View Post
I can´t believe nobody has mentioned the Deluge. Hope you enjoy the MPC but you really should check out the Deluge before you settle!
Mentioned in my original (first) post on this thread. Spent the rest of the weekend researching.

I appreciate it was a long read but makes sense to read what you're replying to surely
Old 1 day ago
  #47
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coxys View Post
Mentioned in my original (first) post on this thread. Spent the rest of the weekend researching.

I appreciate it was a long read but makes sense to read what you're replying to surely
Doh! Of course, sorry. Glad you made an informed decision though.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump