The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How to build a hardware arpeggiator? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear
How to build a hardware arpeggiator?

Hello I am trying to figure out how I could build an analog arpeggiator. I am just looking to build or maybe buy something that could take like an actual audio input and use it to generate an arpeggio. I'm obsessed with arpeggios haha
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Arpeggiate an audio signal? How? Sounds like you're talking about a delay/pitch shift combo which can be done with effects boxes/software or get a sampler.
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear
I'm pretty much just trying to be able to create arpeggios without taking up sequencer space on my synthesizer
Old 5 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpertSleepers2 View Post
Hello I am trying to figure out how I could build an analog arpeggiator.
There's nothing analog about an arpeggiator.

Quote:
I am just looking to build or maybe buy something that could take like an actual audio input and use it to generate an arpeggio. I'm obsessed with arpeggios haha
If you want to generate an arpeggio from audio input, you need a pitchshifter that can generate several shifted signals at once, and then you solo them one at a time. You could do this with a pulsewave LFO per signal. For 3 voices, they'd need a 33% duty cycle and they should be put out of phase. I'm sure that you can build something like this with an Eventide H8000 or H9000.

If you want to have a separate hardware arpeggiator that you can connect to your synth with MIDI, there are more options.

ARPIE - MIDI Arpeggiator [FULLY CONSTRUCTED] from midierror on Tindie
or simpler but mass produced: Arturia - Overview
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear
The Arpie sounds like pretty much good enough for what I'm trying to do at the moment. Do you know if it would work with a monophonic synthesizer? I have the Korg Monologue currently
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict
I remember Boss having an arpeggio effect in their multifx Gt-6 and Gt-8, but I don't know if any of the effects in their current catalogue is up to that task
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear
I will definitely look that up
Old 5 days ago
Gear Guru

Oh yeah, there's also MidiGAL | MidiSizer (again DIY, but even more compact) and apparently the Akai controller keyboards (LPK25) have a basic arpeggiator built in.

The ARPIE's manual is here - arpie/User Guide Release 3.pdf at master * hotchk155/arpie * GitHub (I got there by going to GitHub - hotchk155/arpie: A compact and full featured MIDI arpeggiator, Open source, Arduino based > "docs" folder > search for user guide) and it says in the intro text - "ARPIE is a monophonic MIDI arpeggiator", so it should work on your Monologue

Even if an arpeggiator sends out a polyphonic signal, the Monologue will have to choose one key to play.
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear
That's great! I will definitely look into buying one when I have the money for one. Right now I'm probably just going to build my desktop computer and record what I've got saved on the Monologue and then erase all the patches I've made so I can create new ones with the Arpie. Thank you
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Arpanoid from EarthQuaker Devices takes an analog input and arpeggiates it.

But I don't think that's what you really want. The only reasonable way you will ever be able to make this yourself with (mostly) analog parts is to get an analog synth with CV and gate where you can build something that adds voltages to the CV signal to make it shift the pitch up or down in a sequence.

Monologue has no CV input, so you're out of luck - unless you're the type that gladly opens up the synth and hacks into the circuitry. Doing it with MIDI makes a lot more sense and can be put together with an arduino and a few more parts. If you have no other keyboards, let's hope the Monologue has a local off function.
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear
The Monologue does have CV input on the back
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpertSleepers2 View Post
The Monologue does have CV input on the back
Well, not in the pdf manual I looked at. From left to right:
9V DC and power switch, USB, MIDI out/in, Sync out/in, Audio in/out, Headphones.

No CV or gate in or out.
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear
You're right, I just checked lol
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
If you want to generate an arpeggio from audio input, you need a pitchshifter that can generate several shifted signals at once, and then you solo them one at a time. You could do this with a pulsewave LFO per signal. For 3 voices, they'd need a 33% duty cycle and they should be put out of phase. I'm sure that you can build something like this with an Eventide H8000 or H9000.
The Digitech IPS 33B can do it, I think.
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear
I will check that out. Thank you
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
+1 for the ARPIE, I have built 2 and still have one.. It is pretty versatile once you learn all the shortcuts. I wouldn't use it live, but would use it to capture the midi into a sequencer or sample the output of whatever synths.

Also, you can use this on a poly synth too. Not as in triggering multiple notes simultaneously, but to send a mono arp line to the poly synth.. works nice with longer release times as long as you have enough voices
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear
The Arpie is looking really good. I think I'll probably buy it when I get my basic recording studio done
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search