The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DX-7 Tuning Drift? Consoles
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

DX-7 Tuning Drift?

Does your DX-7's tuning drift? How often?

Once a week, or more often, I'll notice it just doesn't sound right and need to use Master Tune to line it up with a digital tuner.

Not a major hassle, but it would be nice to know if this is a sign of potential problems?
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

DX-7 Tuning Drift?

Does your DX-7's tuning drift? How often?

Once a week, or more often, I'll notice it just doesn't sound right and need to use Master Tune to line it up with a digital tuner.

Not a major hassle, but it would be nice to know if this is a sign of potential problems?
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

A DX7 shouldn't drift at all as it's digital. Maybe the pitch bend wheel is acting up? Or it has a faulty quartz crystal. Or whatever you're comparing it to is drifting.

EDIT: Found this on the interwebs. Note the last step that I bolded. if you don't exit Master Tune adjust by selecting another function (such as Battery Check) and you move the data slider, you'll knock the DX7 out of tune.
Quote:
Tuning the DX7

1. Press the [FUNCTION] button.

2. Press the [ 1 ] MASTER TUNE button.

3. Use the DATA ENTRY slider to set tuning.

NOTE: You will need to play the instrument while adjusting the slider, and use a tuner or reference instrument to get the DX7 in tune. The diplay does nor register and change.

4. Press the [14] BATTERY CHECK button before leaving the FUNCTION mode to disable the Master Tune adjust. Otherwise the DATA ENTRY slider remains assigned to MASTER TUNE and it is easy to accidentally detune the instrument.
Old 3 hours ago
Lives for gear

I have noticed you have to exit the master tune function to 'disconnect' the data slider, and thought I was, but maybe not exiting "right".

I think I've been doing it by hitting Internal and changing the patch. I'll make sure to bring up a different function from now on.

Thanks!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search