The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Roland TR-8S manual: BAD Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Roland TR-8S manual: BAD

I've been a lurker here for a while, and I registered just to say this:

The Roland TR-8S is a great machine, but the manual SUCKS. And the panel layout could be better.

I like to read carefully the whole manual of a new piece of gear, once, from beginning to end, and then I'm good to go. Impossible with either the Owner's Manual or the Reference Manual for the TR-8S. The very fact that the Owner is just the Reference without some essential info shows they don't give a damn. The writing is awful, the structure inexistent, and even the layout of the .pdf is horrible. Concepts are often fuzzy, like the usual fluid border between instrument and track.

For such a big corporation with such a long line of products, it is a CRYING SHAME. It's so obviously a mix of Engrish and engineerese, reminding me of the early Yamaha or Akai manuals (I still _shudder at the memory of the QY10 original manual, with no Internet and nobody to turn to, a nightmare). No professional English-language writer seems to have been involved.

Now the TR-8S is not difficult to master. It's just that since the button names and layout are not so good -and the shortcut combos not strictly logical- for a while you must go back to the manual to learn, and there the info is scattered all over the place and the techno-pidgin is horrible. You can't even hope to rely of the List of Shortcuts, because there is no logic to it. You have section heads in it listing SOME of the things you'd want to do instead of a clear hierarchy based on the functions of the machine. Using Search takes you all over the shortcut list, you have to read the description and then it's not what you looking for, repeat and rinse.

No big deal, some will say. Seems that more and more people just watch Youtube videos like "How to turn on the machine". I just think I'm not the only one who hates paying for sloppiness.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Roland just has bad manuals overall. All the way throughout. It's almost a meme.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Roland just has bad manuals overall. All the way throughout. It's almost a meme.
This - never seen a good Roland manual.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Their TR8 pamphlet was a shocker when I opened it up. Never used it as I just search online for a solution. They could at least have put a comprehensive manual online.

Roland's manuals from the 80s - I've not had any issues.
Thankfully, they're online.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search