The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tg-33 vs Wavestation Desktop Synthesizers
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

Tg-33 vs Wavestation

What are some pros and cons of the two synths, and then taking those into consideration, which one is the better synth? ( I like patchmaking and trippy/ emotional/ dense/ creative hip hop beats)
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

It really is a matter of taste. Neither is that pleasant to edit. I had a Wavestation A/D years back and sold it without ever really digging into it. The presets were all very well known from records, adverts and TV music of the 90s. I have no doubt it is capable of great stuff but it looked too painful to get there. Sometimes I feel like I'm tempted to give it another go.

I've still got a TG33. I have thought about selling it but on yanking it out and playing with it, there is some magic in there amongst the rather large areas of sour-spot. It is a bloody stupid shape though, a massive desktop unit. I've said it before but it's a box that is somehow greater than the sum of its crappy parts. Crap 2-op FM, crap samples and crap effects in big box.

I think most people would say the smoother/polished sound of the Wavestation beats the TG33 but some might prefer the TG's rawness.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

TG33 is far cheaper, less featured, and less polished in sound.

Wavestation VST is truly better than any of the associated hardware - every expanded wave collected at once, enhancements to the filters and processing, and more. If you are hardware-only, too bad.
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairbow View Post
TG33 is far cheaper, less featured, and less polished in sound.

Wavestation VST is truly better than any of the associated hardware - every expanded wave collected at once, enhancements to the filters and processing, and more. If you are hardware-only, too bad.
Yes this is what it comes down to. I owned a Wavestation AD. There's no magic in the hardware. This is one case the software sounds better. It also does way more and is easier to use. The hardware Wavestation adds a crappiness to the sound and it's not the crappiness that's the kind I think people like. Well at least I didn't.

Either way the Wavestation is emulated very well in software and the TG33 is not. The answer is hardware TG and software WS.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

TG33 has four parts that can be mixed together. Two are sample based, two are 2-operator (simple) FM. Each part uses one voice of the available 32 voice polyphony, so using all four reduces you to 8 notes at a time. Mixing is via a joystick, either manually or you can record the joystick motion as part of the patch. It's pretty low-fi/grungy, as it was a low-end synth in the Yamaha line.

Wavestation is 100% sample based. The only other thing I know about it is it was much more expensive with a cleaner sound.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

The Wavestation is ambient.

In the right hands, the TG-33 is so insanely techno it hurts.

In the wrong hands, the TG-33 is just a crappy rompler from the early 90's.

EDIT:

Also, neither box is very much fun to use and is only worth having if you are looking for a very specific flavor. The TG-33 has a very strong personality that is unique, the WS is very good, but there are a million other things that will also skin that particular cat.

IOW you own a WS because you want to own a WS, not because it is the only thing that does what it does, the way it does it.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

Sorry to catch y’all off guard, but I’d like to now make this tg-33 vs Wavestation vs Blofeld vs se-02
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

Oh
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

For what it's worth, I love my tg-33. I'd never sell it. Makes some absolutely bonkers techno sounds .

I know that's not what you make, but it's got a great gritty tone and can do some nice bass, pads, leads etc
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

The best Korg Wavestation is the iPad version. The touch screen interface makes it very hands on and very visual to dig into the synth engine

Get a cheap used iPad and a MIDI interface and it becomes a powerful piece of standalone hardware.

As an added bonus by getting the M1 app it becomes a better M1 than the hardware M1 for the same reasons.

I sold my M1 and Wavestation for just these reasons

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search