The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Empress Reverb OR Eventide Space Reverb For Synths? Reverb & Delay Plugins
Old 5 days ago
Empress Reverb OR Eventide Space Reverb For Synths?

Looking for some guidance and opinions here guys..

I've recently purchased The NEUTRON and The ARTURIA MINIBRUTE 2S.
The sounds are fantastic, but they both need GOOD reverb.
I've TRIED a few verbs I have on hand, like the Lexicon MPX 500, The Zoom MS 70CDR and the old Alesis Microverb.... they are ALL... just meh.
I don't wanna do a plugin as I'm TRYING to get more out of the BOX.
SO, I'd Much prefer to go with hardware.

I've narrowed my research down between the Empress & The Eventide. Studio space is a big consideration and I like the form factor of both units. Problem is I've never personally used either one.

Wondering which unit you would recommend and WHY?

Thanks.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
There's no real answer aside from personal preference I think, I have the Space and think the Empress sounds great. Also look at OTO BAM, Meris Mercury 7, Strymon Big Sky, Ventris Dual Reverb.. lots of nice choices at the moment
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagoo View Post
There's no real answer aside from personal preference I think, I have the Space and think the Empress sounds great. Also look at OTO BAM, Meris Mercury 7, Strymon Big Sky, Ventris Dual Reverb.. lots of nice choices at the moment
I SHOULD have mentioned that the Strymon Blue OR Big Sky are also under consideration. The demos I've heard are pretty amazing.
Old 5 days ago
ive looked into all pedals as they ve come along in recent years. they all have something, but with their individual characters.

in the arena of pitch shifted or modulated reverbs, for ambient vastness and mesmerizing trails, i still like the character of Eventide the best. this sort of effect originated in their rack units way back in 80s and 90s, so perhaps my ears are little conditioned, and i use their bigger rack units too. so to this day, Space still has most magic for me.

Strymons have this long artificial shoegazey trail with blooming early reflections that i also like. thought many times to perhaps pick one up. but i find other algos not as convincing (room, regular med/small hall etc) or just plain gimmicky (choral etc). they are pricey to get just one or two sounds i dig so im torn here. dunno, maybe if a cheap enough used Blue Sky comes along, i'll give it a shot.

new Empress also caught my ear, with this etheral hifi sound and flexibility. but i'd need to try it first hand, or hear more synth demos.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Maniac
Empress does sound incredibly lush and I have long preferred it over the Strymon sound. That said if you're thinking of spending Strymon or Empress money, look into an Eventide H9. That was what I settled on after trying many and I'm glad I did. Everything about the H9 is amazing and Eventide have the best verbs going, IMO.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Maniac

When listening to demos I prefer the sound of the Empress Reverb, it has a somewhat more interesting organic quality that I like and the Ghost mode seems cool!

On the other hand, I'm not so sure that I would like the interface, which seems a bit unclear with a lot of hidden features. I think I would prefer the display of the Blackhole here.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Maniac

A friend of mine with dozens of releases to his name on well-known labels bought the Strymon and regrets not getting an H9 or Space. In his words, the dry and effected signals don't blend well and the overall colour of the Strymon is "too synthetic" he says. I'm very happy with the H9, but still also use Lexicon MPX1 extensively - bit of a pain to program, but for the prices it's going for it's really excellent value - it's very deep: run up to 6 fx simultaneously (depending on DSP) in any order.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

I would also consider the Boss RV500. Its an amazing pedal and very flexible
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search