The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Empress Reverb OR Eventide Space Reverb For Synths? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 12th October 2018
Empress Reverb OR Eventide Space Reverb For Synths?

Looking for some guidance and opinions here guys..

I've recently purchased The NEUTRON and The ARTURIA MINIBRUTE 2S.
The sounds are fantastic, but they both need GOOD reverb.
I've TRIED a few verbs I have on hand, like the Lexicon MPX 500, The Zoom MS 70CDR and the old Alesis Microverb.... they are ALL... just meh.
I don't wanna do a plugin as I'm TRYING to get more out of the BOX.
SO, I'd Much prefer to go with hardware.

I've narrowed my research down between the Empress & The Eventide. Studio space is a big consideration and I like the form factor of both units. Problem is I've never personally used either one.

Wondering which unit you would recommend and WHY?

Thanks.
Old 12th October 2018
Lives for gear
There's no real answer aside from personal preference I think, I have the Space and think the Empress sounds great. Also look at OTO BAM, Meris Mercury 7, Strymon Big Sky, Ventris Dual Reverb.. lots of nice choices at the moment
Old 12th October 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagoo View Post
There's no real answer aside from personal preference I think, I have the Space and think the Empress sounds great. Also look at OTO BAM, Meris Mercury 7, Strymon Big Sky, Ventris Dual Reverb.. lots of nice choices at the moment
I SHOULD have mentioned that the Strymon Blue OR Big Sky are also under consideration. The demos I've heard are pretty amazing.
Old 12th October 2018
ive looked into all pedals as they ve come along in recent years. they all have something, but with their individual characters.

in the arena of pitch shifted or modulated reverbs, for ambient vastness and mesmerizing trails, i still like the character of Eventide the best. this sort of effect originated in their rack units way back in 80s and 90s, so perhaps my ears are little conditioned, and i use their bigger rack units too. so to this day, Space still has most magic for me.

Strymons have this long artificial shoegazey trail with blooming early reflections that i also like. thought many times to perhaps pick one up. but i find other algos not as convincing (room, regular med/small hall etc) or just plain gimmicky (choral etc). they are pricey to get just one or two sounds i dig so im torn here. dunno, maybe if a cheap enough used Blue Sky comes along, i'll give it a shot.

new Empress also caught my ear, with this etheral hifi sound and flexibility. but i'd need to try it first hand, or hear more synth demos.
Old 16th October 2018
Lives for gear

Empress does sound incredibly lush and I have long preferred it over the Strymon sound. That said if you're thinking of spending Strymon or Empress money, look into an Eventide H9. That was what I settled on after trying many and I'm glad I did. Everything about the H9 is amazing and Eventide have the best verbs going, IMO.
Old 16th October 2018
Gear Maniac

When listening to demos I prefer the sound of the Empress Reverb, it has a somewhat more interesting organic quality that I like and the Ghost mode seems cool!

On the other hand, I'm not so sure that I would like the interface, which seems a bit unclear with a lot of hidden features. I think I would prefer the display of the Blackhole here.
Old 16th October 2018
Gear Maniac

A friend of mine with dozens of releases to his name on well-known labels bought the Strymon and regrets not getting an H9 or Space. In his words, the dry and effected signals don't blend well and the overall colour of the Strymon is "too synthetic" he says. I'm very happy with the H9, but still also use Lexicon MPX1 extensively - bit of a pain to program, but for the prices it's going for it's really excellent value - it's very deep: run up to 6 fx simultaneously (depending on DSP) in any order.
Old 16th October 2018
Lives for gear

I would also consider the Boss RV500. Its an amazing pedal and very flexible
Old 22nd October 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffybox View Post
Empress does sound incredibly lush and I have long preferred it over the Strymon sound. That said if you're thinking of spending Strymon or Empress money, look into an Eventide H9. That was what I settled on after trying many and I'm glad I did. Everything about the H9 is amazing and Eventide have the best verbs going, IMO.
Agree toally, the Empress echo and reverb units sound top notch (I have the Multidrive - excellent build and very flexible distortion/overdrive/fuzz all in one), but the H9 does so much more the rev and echo for about the same money. My only problem with the H9 is that I soon started to want an h9 core or Pitch Factor and fantasize about an Eclipse! OTOH, this gas has been largely cured wirh Reaktor 6. I've been blown away by the sound quality and the possibilitues for building custom effects racks are insane.
Old 22nd October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike View Post
I would also consider the Boss RV500. Its an amazing pedal and very flexible
I'd agree.
In dual mode you get two reverbs and 2 delays in series or parallel.
They are incredibly customizable.
Lots of good midi and foot medal control options too.
I need to check out the MD (I have both the RV and DD but want to see what it brings to the table). Once you get the interface down on one its easy to dive into another.
I'd pick the Empress over the Eventide myself for what is worth to the OP.
Old 22nd October 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skypainter View Post
Agree toally, the Empress echo and reverb units sound top notch (I have the Multidrive - excellent build and very flexible distortion/overdrive/fuzz all in one), but the H9 does so much more the rev and echo for about the same money. My only problem with the H9 is that I soon started to want an h9 core or Pitch Factor and fantasize about an Eclipse! OTOH, this gas has been largely cured wirh Reaktor 6. I've been blown away by the sound quality and the possibilitues for building custom effects racks are insane.
I went with The Empress.... It's really REALLY GOOD.
I do want to add the Eventide Space at some point.
But If ANYONE is on the fence? You can't lose with The Empress.
Old 22nd October 2018
Lives for gear

Having spent the weekend listening to countless reverb pedal youtubes, I gotta say the Empress really stood out. I only passed on it (for now) because I didn't wanna have to buy the powered midi box. I ended up ordering the Free the Tone AS 1R, as it was the only one that sounded as good as the Empress to me, although I based my decision on guitar demos only. Hopefully it will have the same quality on my synths.

Much like analog synths, there's literally a buttload of great reverbs out there these days. One of the more difficult gear purchasing decisions I've made for sure.
Old 22nd October 2018
Lives for gear

I have a Space, and it sounds great, the options are very nice, but i find anything i put into it gets totally lost in it’s sound. This is fine with live playing but I’m not fond of recording stereo reverbs, so even though it’s incredibly controllable through midi, phasing difficulties arise. Maybe its a lack of more obvious panning controls, or that it’s so controllably deep i haven’t been able to delve that far into it? I’ve never tried to use it in mastering.
Old 22nd October 2018
Gear Addict

I haven't tried the others but would agree the Eventide reverbs are strong effects that can quickly become dominant in character. Still could smoke a j and listen to that for days
Old 23rd October 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalanarchist View Post
I went with The Empress.... It's really REALLY GOOD.
I do want to add the Eventide Space at some point.
But If ANYONE is on the fence? You can't lose with The Empress.
Congrats , sounds excellent from demos. I'd look at different effects, not another reverb, to pair with the Empress.
Old 23rd October 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildheadwound View Post
I have a Space, and it sounds great, the options are very nice, but i find anything i put into it gets totally lost in it’s sound. This is fine with live playing but I’m not fond of recording stereo reverbs, so even though it’s incredibly controllable through midi, phasing difficulties arise. Maybe its a lack of more obvious panning controls, or that it’s so controllably deep i haven’t been able to delve that far into it? I’ve never tried to use it in mastering.
With the H9, lack of panning control/width is my only real gripe. When recording I often print the H9 output to two mono channels for panning/width control.
Old 23rd October 2018
Lives for gear

This forum comes up a lot. Perhaps combine. The Space has line level inputs and true bypass. I always try and take that into consideration.
Old 23rd October 2018
Gear Addict

I have the Empress (both the Reverb and Echo System).

My feelings on them so far.. I'm speaking as a synth player/producer, not a guitarist:

-- Sound is pretty good, but not as good as I expected. Nothing super lush as the big sky or space, and not a lot of the algos seem to mix with your sound very well, they sit apart from it. The spring algo on the reverb and the tape on the delay are the best of them IMO. Many unusable novelties.

-- Not used to guitar pedal land so the 'preset' system is atrocious - basically 5 LEDs with a whole bunch of different colors. I'd really prefer just a 3 digit number and LED screen or something. And I hate pressing the switches.

-- Really easy to clip inputs, must have crazy low headroom. I need to turn the P6 down to about 50% output or less to not have the 2nd in line clip when both boxes are in-line with it - and that is with BOTH having the max input pad turned on (-10 or -20db i forget which). I'm not really knowledgeable on instrument level inputs, so maybe this is typical for guitar gear. But anyway the gainstaging has been a real issue. Getting a good hot signal out of the chain into the DAW while not clipping one or the other or both of the pedals has been tough.

-- Need an SD card to update firmware (they do seem to add lots of features in firmware - the difference between initial releases and later releases is huge)

-- Need their separate product box that converts control signals to get MIDI input into them

-- Both of the above could've been dealt with in a much smarter way (USB/MIDI ports on the boxes - they're huge as it is.)

-- The Echo System is really impressive because it has two engines and you can run them in different orders, and serial or parallel. Very advanced device.

-- When I ordered them a while ago, there was a big waitlist for them at most dealers (I think I got them from Perfect Circuit and it took 3-4 months) - given their rarity and cost, I'm not sure I'd say they're worth it, but I'm still exploring them.

I jumped on the pedal bandwagon because I sort of liked them as a bit of hardware to tweak when playing synths, but I'm starting to think I don't gel with the guitar pedal interface and way of working. I'm really looking hard at the H9000.....
Old 23rd October 2018
Lives for gear

I got the echosystem too and I really like it but everytime I move it around the midibox really gets in my nerves, hate that thing and it makes it so inconvenient I have considered exchange it just because of it.

When I went to buy it I tried the strymon, eventide and Roland big pedals, for delay the empress came out on top, the strymon delay was kind of disappointing but not bad.

But for Reverb the eventide space have algorithms that no other brand comes close to, specially the black hole and ptich shifting ones in the H9. Eventide reverb algos sound like out of this world and they go very well with synths and electronic music in general.
Old 23rd October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by login View Post
I got the echosystem too and I really like it but everytime I move it around the midibox really gets in my nerves, hate that thing and it makes it so inconvenient I have considered exchange it just because of it.

When I went to buy it I tried the strymon, eventide and Roland big pedals, for delay the empress came out on top, the strymon delay was kind of disappointing but not bad.

But for Reverb the eventide space have algorithms that no other brand comes close to, specially the black hole and ptich shifting ones in the H9. Eventide reverb algos sound like out of this world and they go very well with synths and electronic music in general.
Ya it's a shame that some great sounding pedals require that you purchase and power an extra device to access the Midi parameters. Some Empress and Meris pedals sound great, but I'm put off of them because of this lack of access.

I need to research the H9 a little more... there are several versions, do they all have the black hole and pitch shifting reverbs?
Old 23rd October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Pete View Post
Ya it's a shame that some great sounding pedals require that you purchase and power an extra device to access the Midi parameters. Some Empress and Meris pedals sound great, but I'm put off of them because of this lack of access.

I need to research the H9 a little more... there are several versions, do they all have the black hole and pitch shifting reverbs?
Just go for the H9 Max, you get all the algos, and if you buy a second H9 (core) you can also use all the algos on that one.

Also, if you don't get the max you are going to buy extra algos one by one, you can upgrade to max later but it ends being more expensive.
Old 23rd October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by login View Post
Just go for the H9 Max, you get all the algos, and if you buy a second H9 (core) you can also use all the algos on that one.

Also, if you don't get the max you are going to buy extra algos one by one, you can upgrade to max later but it ends being more expensive.
Good to know, thank you!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search