The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Desktop vs 19" Desktop Synthesizers
Old 2 days ago
Gear Nut

Old 2 days ago
to start off, if you get way too much gear, racks or desktops, no standard will help you reach everything equally fast and ergonomically perfect for longer programming sessions. it just doesn't exist. its a trade off for gluttony . there are always compromises to make it all work.

i belong to the said group, and my compromise is to keep most frequently used stuff relatively close to me, and only bring in and out everything else from the storage, depending on what i need in a current project.

for the two groups i prefer:

tilted desktop - if its a knob ladden synth like Waldorf XT, Virus etc. usually on my main desk or side table.

rack unit - on the shelves eye level while sitting or higher, while standing. and i work towards having most with either a hw programmer (like stereoping for VS and access for MW) or iPad editor. long sessions with cryptic 90s menu-driven machines is exhausting and uncomfortable with vertical panels.

with ones that i still haven't got an editing surface for, i still prefer working on orig keyboard version - for example, Yamaha SY77 over the TG77.

for this reason my D550 is sitting gathering dust. just hate working on it. same with VZ10m. tho i am looking into options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagoo View Post
Works for me
looks great

where can i get these tall, frame racks in EU, do you have some links ?

looks like its made for some server gear..

do you have it screwed in the floor and/or ceiling, for stability, how is it installed?

thanks
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

I came off strong which is not like me at all To me, sorry I didn't mean to single anybody out either by mentioning Erebus but I just remember how bad it got late 90's early 00's when it seemed like everything was being put in a rack and the memory of my racks and some of the **** designs makes me shudder.

I never got my layout figured well enough to have the racks perpendicular to the floor which if you're after a few that's the way IMO. Vertical is ok for certain types of modules but not synths and samplers at (or worse, below) desk height, it gets out of control very fast and is a cause of pain.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
looks great

where can i get these tall, frame racks in EU, do you have some links ?

looks like its made for some server gear..

do you have it screwed in the floor and/or ceiling, for stability, how is it installed?

thanks
Right, they are network racks. APC AR201.. 45U high and about $200 each (I use the above while standing in front of them with nord wave/roli 49 at about 23U..)

The main disadvantage for Europe is they use imperial screws and predrilled holes, rather than a standard metric size. There's extra kits of screws you can buy from APC though - and each rack comes with a bunch already, just don't lose them. At least in Switzerland there were a few local suppliers I could get these from, didn't need to import anything.

I don't have them secured to the floor.. although there are holes for doing that. I just put some weights on the base as a precaution. The front of the 2 racks close to the wall are about 25cm from it, so I find it saves a lot of space for flat rack synths.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrage View Post
There’s no space for a rack or keyboards; literally no space.
There’s barely enough room for a laptop and controllers.
In this context the choice is easy.

voilà
I read that and instead of voila I saw Volca
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1100 View Post
<Akai S1100 image>
Ah, yes! Akai made some concessions for ergonomy in a rack with the S1000 and S1100 (does that panel flip out, or is it fixed at an angle?). And then they went and made the S6000 with the detachable front panel! Similar solutions have been seen on some high end reverbs

The S6000 solution, enhanced with an added flip out mechanism would be optimal AFAIC. In this day and age the panel would of course have a wireless connection to the rack unit and charge its batteries when attached to the rack.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJustice View Post
Ah, yes! Akai made some concessions for ergonomy in a rack with the S1000 and S1100 (does that panel flip out, or is it fixed at an angle?). And then they went and made the S6000 with the detachable front panel! Similar solutions have been seen on some high end reverbs

The S6000 solution, enhanced with an added flip out mechanism would be optimal AFAIC. In this day and age the panel would of course have a wireless connection to the rack unit and charge its batteries when attached to the rack.
It's fixed at a really nice angle.
Great design.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Nut

A spare bedroom has opened up here and I am turning it into my own private acid box. And everything will be on the floor so I am quite ok having non-racked gear. I am very much looking forward to having everything in a semi-circle and sitting on the floor. I think it will make me more productive and it will be more fun.
Hope u enjoyed my story.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Nut

Someone recommended these here Amazon.com: AmazonBasics Ventilated Adjustable Laptop Stand: Computers & Accessories
I got a six pack for all my "desktop" stuff, should make things more comfortable.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagoo View Post
They made them Eurorack compatible and Eurorack is 19" rack compatible... (it's 3U).. so you just need Eurorack<>19" rails
sorry mate yep I know there eurorack compatible I ment they should have had normal rack ears included so they could be rackmounted not eurorack mounted.

ive seen third party rack ears but there very expensive and tey don't look good in the pics ive seen I would rather Behringer had done there own and included them like they did with the deepmind.

ive seen some tiptop 3u rack ears would they fit?there cheaper and look better.

would these fit the neutron?
TipTop Audio Z-Ears Table Silver : Eurorack Racks at Rubadub Glasgow

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search