The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Moog versus Rev2 Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Moog versus Rev2

If a Moog Sub 37 is essentially the same as Prophet Rev2 but a moog is monophonic. Why would i want to have a Moog? What are the advantages of a Moog Sub 37 over a Rev2?
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

? There couldn’t be two more different synths. What does this have to do with modular anyway?
Old 6 days ago
Post in the Electronic forum
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Really needs to be in EMI&EMP, but to answer your question, the Moog may be monophonic, but it has a different sound than the Prophet. They're different enough to where I'd want the Sub as a bass synth and the Prophet as a lead/pad synth in the same track.
Old 1 day ago
Hoi @machinevos :-)
Yeah.. the Prophet Rev 2 filter is more "growly" sounding to my ears, meaner. Hard to explain. Sadly, I don't own one. Or a Moog at the moment.
It's really about the timbre, but also about the control surface and if you're a decent piano keyboard player, polyphony is nice!
I'm sure there's some youtube clips, or sound files that would show you the difference in character.

<moderator hat on: I'll move this to the other forum >
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

you lost me...right here

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinevos View Post
If a Moog Sub 37 is essentially the same as Prophet Rev2
cos they are not remotely similar sounding at all
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
If a Moog Sub 37 is essentially the same as Prophet Rev2 but a moog is monophonic. Why would i want to have a Moog? What are the advantages of a Moog Sub 37 over a Rev2?
I was flabbergasted when i read this and came up with 2 different ways to respond.

Response #1
If you believe that a Sub 37 is essentially the same as a Rev2 then you need your head checked.

I have to believe that you've read that statement somewhere or someone told you that they are essentially the same and you have no factual evidence to back up the claim. Otherwise, if you even just read their specs you would know that statement is just FALSE.

So, we know that you don't have the facts about the synths.
We also know that you are unwilling to confirm wild statements made by who knows.
We know that you are as gullible as a 2 year old and have a propensity to believe anything you are told. So, how are you going to manage when you get more than one reply to your question? Which reply are you going to believe? The only way you will know is if you do the research yourself.

But to head that off...go to a website that sells each of these synthesizers. Read the specs. Determine for yourself if they are essentially the same. Then you will have the knowledge and be informed enough to be able to answer the question on your own.

Response #2
Quote:
If a Moog Sub 37 is essentially the same as Prophet Rev2 but a moog is monophonic.
What if it isn't? I ask because the Sub37 is NOT essentially the same as a Rev2 and anyone who knows anything about them knows this to be true.
So, now that we've established they aren't essentially the same, the question changes to should you buy a Sub37 or a Rev2. Which do you need/what? Determine your needs/desires (and budget) and pick what fits.
Old 9 hours ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
If a Moog Sub 37 is essentially the same as Prophet Rev2 but a moog is monophonic.

I own both. They are complete different synths. In many ways, not just the filter.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search