The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
A chance of a lifetime Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by poserp View Post
It'd be neat to own a 2" reel-to-reel, and have the guts and dedication to keep it going. However, I think I'ma go this route instead:

The Colour Format – DIY Recording Equipment

...and, specifically for this thread: 15IPS Tape Saturation Colour – DIY Recording Equipment
That looks pretty interesting!

Ive been avoiding the 500 series like the plague
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
That looks pretty interesting!

Ive been avoiding the 500 series like the plague
Yeah... There's too much good stuff, including DIY 500 series cases:

Classic Audio Products, Inc.

First it's eurorack, now this. We live in a great time.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
Ive got the Ampex, great sounding plug but tbh I still use an old akai R2R as its just fun going through the process.

But sticking oxide on every track and the ampex on the master sounds sweet
I hear ya man...I have the UAD and Anamod ATS 1 on everything!!!!!

I stick the Anamod on the Master also.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Wait, so even though you wrote "We will have to make do" when asked about the autolocator, it actually does come with one? Your response implies that it didn't.

BTW, let me point out that calling women "girls" or "hot chicks" (as you did earlier in this thread) is really kind of neanderthal behavior/speech (?!!!). This is a public forum. Please try to tame your retrograde impulses and a maintain modicum of sensitivity. It's not just your "mates" reading this. See ya! Ta!
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CthonicEwes View Post
calling women "girls" or "hot chicks" (as you did earlier in this thread) is really kind of neanderthal behavior/speech (?!!!).
Really?? This is western taliban attitude in my opinion. Why not just relax and enjoy? Women do the very same with males all the time. They call this irony, joke, fun, whatever. It alludes to the fact that he saw a women who was nice-looking, beautiful, perhaps even sexy, you name it. What's wrong with this??
"Neanderthal behavior" is indeed insulting, not making an amusing comment, even if you would personally use different words to express the same concept.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

BTW, let me point out that calling women "girls" or "hot chicks" (as you did earlier in this thread) is really kind of neanderthal behavior/speech (?!!!). This is a public forum. Please try to tame your retrograde impulses and a maintain modicum of sensitivity. It's not just your "mates" reading this. See ya! Ta!
I had to check on the main page to see if we've gotten a new moderator as it seems we have a moderator/politically correct officer wannabe posting as one.

I'm about as sensitive and respectful to women as you can get, but your outrage over this harmless comment is way over the top on the "sensitivity" meter, and as it's been mentioned, very similar to the Taliban moral police.

Please think twice next time before forcing your misguided morality on everyone else in this forum, you've just made yourself seem petty and foolish.
thank you
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Chicks dig arguments.

Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict
Gearslutz posters using Taliban in a petty argument reminds me of that quote in Princess Bride: "You keep using that word, but I don't think you know what it means."

Anyways, I think buying a 7.5k AUD tape machine for home use in 2018 is a dumb investment when that amount of money could be spent on sending your tracks to someone who does professional mastering.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by space skeleton View Post
Gearslutz posters using Taliban in a petty argument reminds me of that quote in Princess Bride: "You keep using that word, but I don't think you know what it means."

Anyways, I think buying a 7.5k AUD tape machine for home use in 2018 is a dumb investment when that amount of money could be spent on sending your tracks to someone who does professional mastering.
well thank you for your deep thoughtful comments, not only about our reference to the Taliban, but for calling out the OP as making a dumb investment based on what you would do.

It was a way of comparing extremist beliefs and forcing that belief on someone else, so it's not that weird. I'm sorry you don't feel we're as sophisticated as you are, but at least we both like that very funny film.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneytune View Post
It will be cool machine! The first thing I’m going to do is drive the 909 hard into it, or at least until the VU meters are smashing hard to right! I want to hear that click from the needles when they are driving down.

Maybe Lastbyte can come around and get her all going for me!
Oh man oh man.

This reminds me of when a friend of mine, who is an accomplished engineer with mad skills, tracked his album on that exact same model of machine which was perfectly mantained in the studio where he worked.

Same attitude as you, except that he had some experience with tape and should have known better.

It sounded like complete ass.

Good luck!
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
She asked me If I would be interested in taking a look at a machine which was sitting in the upstairs attic, it was part of her fathers studio collection which she needs to sell prior to house going up for auction.
I'm curious how you get at a 500+ lbs machine out of an attic? Perhaps you meant just an upstairs room. Regardless, I would hire someone to move it. They are insanely heavy, and of course quite delicate.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wait, so even though you wrote "We will have to make do" when asked about the autolocator, it actually does come with one? Your response implies that it didn't.

WTF is wrong is with you man???? wake up to yourself would you!
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnstile View Post
I'm curious how you get at a 500+ lbs machine out of an attic? Perhaps you meant just an upstairs room. Regardless, I would hire someone to move it. They are insanely heavy, and of course quite delicate.
Attic room upstairs, looks like an attic. Anyway they move grand pianos in less room, all will be fine
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

I just can't let this go, where I come from we call a good looking woman, girl, hot, sexy, cute, pretty, beautiful, so on and so on. I prefer hot and sexy... how is disrespectful? seriously?

You remind me of a very old man who is disgruntled with his life
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
WTF is wrong is with you man???? wake up to yourself would you!
Update your terminology bro, we aren't cave men anymore!

Soon we won't even be able to refer to eachother as men or women. I take offence anytime I hear a woman call me a dude or god forbid compliment my features.

Any updates on moving this machine? A couple of occy straps and it hanging out of the boot of your car and she'll be right. Sorry I shouldn't have said she'll, how bloody rude of me.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwhistle View Post
Update your terminology bro, we aren't cave men anymore!

Soon we won't even be able to refer to eachother as men or women. I take offence anytime I hear a woman call me a dude or god forbid compliment my features.

Any updates on moving this machine? A couple of occy straps and it hanging out of the boot of your car and she'll be right. Sorry I shouldn't have said she'll, how bloody rude of me.
I just don't understand how we can turn a simple thread about a tape machine into what we should or cannot say, slightly annoyed but I am happy again now!!

I should have it home in the next few days.
Super excited to have it home, I might encounter a few delays but will not be long now.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
BTW, let me point out that calling women "girls" or "hot chicks" (as you did earlier in this thread) is really kind of neanderthal behavior/speech (?!!!).
The OP was making a lighthearted Australian vernacular comment which obviously you don't understand. He's an Aussie, if you find what he said offensive then please don't head over here because you'd be in meltdown the first time you set foot into a pub or live music venue.

OP: On the tape unit, make sure you have three hands on deck if moving it downstairs, I've seen two people moving one of these down some stairs and it got away from them - the result wasn't conducive to having a working tape machine.

Good luck with the move.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Sandman View Post
The OP was making a lighthearted Australian vernacular comment which obviously you don't understand. He's an Aussie, if you find what he said offensive then please don't head over here because you'd be in meltdown the first time you set foot into a pub or live music venue.

OP: On the tape unit, make sure you have three hands on deck if moving it downstairs, I've seen two people moving one of these down some stairs and it got away from them - the result wasn't conducive to having a working tape machine.

Good luck with the move.
All good Buddy, what’s funny is I’m ex pat as they say!
Yanks have allot more sense of humour then this guy!
It’s political correctness gone mad!!!!

Cheers Aussie
Old 3 days ago
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa

Quote:
It’s political correctness gone mad!!!!
+1

See: Oppression Obsession

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search