The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Novation Remote Sl MK3
Old 4th October 2018
Gear Head

New Novation Remote Sl MK3

So apparently there is a new Novation Remote SL MK3 midi keyboard coming soon. It's said to have a CV control, an 8 track sequencer and tight integration with Live.

So far it's only been spotted in Sweetwater's catalog. Does anyone have any more info? Also could post a photo of it from the catalog please?
Old 4th October 2018
Lives for gear

Here is the ad and the catalog listing. I used the CamScanner App on my phone and cleaned it up as best as I could.

I wish I had a real scanner.
New Novation Remote Sl MK3-new-doc-2018-10-04-07.20.50_1.jpg

New Novation Remote Sl MK3-new-doc-2018-10-04-07.20.50_2.jpg

New Novation Remote Sl MK3-new-doc-2018-10-04-07.20.50_3.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
New Novation Remote Sl MK3-new-doc-2018-10-04-07.20.50_3.jpg   New Novation Remote Sl MK3-new-doc-2018-10-04-07.20.50_1.jpg   New Novation Remote Sl MK3-new-doc-2018-10-04-07.20.50_2.jpg  
Old 4th October 2018
Lives for gear
This looks very promising, built - in step sequencers are very handy in order the user to perceive hardware experience …but 700 US dollars for a 61 keys midi keyboard?

If the built in pattern sequencer is good then yea it worth the money, but if the sequencer is something tricky and limited then no.
Old 4th October 2018
Gear Head

Thanks a lot! Looks very interesting indeed, especially the polyphonic 8 track sequencer and the five colour lcd screens and backlights with full parameter feedback...
Old 4th October 2018
Lives for gear

Need a Zero version of it.
Old 4th October 2018
Deleted 46dc28f
It looks like an Akai Advance shagged a Komplete Kontrol S.
Old 4th October 2018
Lives for gear

Zero edition with enough CV/gate and sequencer tracks for drum/techno would be a treat! Circuit sequencer is fantastic for such a cheap unit
Old 4th October 2018
Lives for gear

Is sweet water a legit company , or are they so desperate for pre orders that they leak things ?
I’m in the uk , never bought from them , but I seem to read about a lot of leaks coming from this store and returns being sold as new although Internet forums can misrepresent the facts at times.
I’m not sure if I was launching a product I’d send them details until the official announcement date , unless the leak is part of the hype .
Old 4th October 2018
Gear Nut
They’re a legit store. I’ve seen them sell a lot ex demo gear but it’s been clearly labelled, no shady ads or deals.
Old 4th October 2018
Lives for gear

Sweetwater are in the top 5 for reputation as a store in the USA.. and likely the least desperate of any retailer..

There is a large gap, at least in my mind, between "leak" and "included in a seasonal catalog" that will last through the holiday period... but, if you actually believe that Novation would rather not have their product in that catalog then you are welcome to that point of view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by re5etuk View Post
Is sweet water a legit company , or are they so desperate for pre orders that they leak things ?
I’m in the uk , never bought from them , but I seem to read about a lot of leaks coming from this store and returns being sold as new although Internet forums can misrepresent the facts at times.
I’m not sure if I was launching a product I’d send them details until the official announcement date , unless the leak is part of the hype .
Old 4th October 2018
Gear Nut
There are some kind of LED lights on the keyboard. Seems they add some visual scale and chord features. Good for non trained keyboarders.
Old 4th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost_the_peace View Post
Zero edition with enough CV/gate and sequencer tracks for drum/techno would be a treat! Circuit sequencer is fantastic for such a cheap unit
Beatstep Pro type thing, yes that would sell.
Old 4th October 2018
Lives for gear

Something like this but centered around a Launchpad/Circuit sequencer grid is what I was hoping to see, but a keyboard will make sense to more people.

If they make a Zero version it should have USB hosting capabilities so that you can extend it with various USB only MIDI controllers.
Old 4th October 2018
Lives for gear

BTW, this should released on the 10th, they'll stream the release.
Attached Thumbnails
New Novation Remote Sl MK3-novationrelease.jpg  
Old 4th October 2018
Lives for gear

5 colour screens and a bunch of sequencers. I'm very curious
Old 4th October 2018
Gear Maniac

Why do these companies insist on putting short faders on their keyboards? I ended up not using them on my last Novation keyboard, as the travel on them is way too short to be of any use.

With the extra depth on this keyboard, they could have made longer faders, but they chose to again go with the short, unusable ones
Old 4th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by re5etuk View Post
Not only is Sweetwater legit but Novation has a full page ad in the catalog. At the very least Novation had to provide that to Sweetwater knowing full well when it was to be published and mailed.

I am also pretty sure Novation actually paid money for that privilege.

It costs a lot of money to print and mail a large catalog like that. Typically retailers sell ads to offset those costs.

The New Moog One is also featured.

Alao FWIW Sweetwater jusr announced they are spending millions to build a new state of the art distribution facility and are hiring up to a thousand new workers.
Old 4th October 2018
Lives for gear

I think I fell for the headline on a website , it’s hard to sync everything up with internal catalogues and embargo’s for products.
It looks fine , novation do good controllers , .
Old 4th October 2018
Gear Nut

Well, we've got a week before we get the details, but from the picture we can tell this one is a bit less knobby than its predecessors. The $600 price point is full of options, I'd like to something that sets this one apart from the field.
Old 4th October 2018
Lives for gear

As someone that spends most their music making time in Live this got my pulse racing .

Would prefer 25 mini keys though
Old 4th October 2018
I guess everyone has specific needs but the key bed on a Novation SL is one of the best and part of why they are a little pricier than some controllers. I’ve had mine for a decade and it is rock solid.
Old 4th October 2018
Lives for gear

+1,2,3.. because i have the sl2 in 25, 49 & 61..

So..we will assume that the same outstanding fatar keybed is used (pretty confident on this given the price, and that the NI boards have them)..and in my case hope that all the good midi functionality is NOT lost...it is rare these days to find a keyboard that does more than just send CC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindredlost View Post
I guess everyone has specific needs but the key bed on a Novation SL is one of the best and part of why they are a little pricier than some controllers. I’ve had mine for a decade and it is rock solid.
Old 5th October 2018
Lives for gear

So. Sequencer. Taking bets: will there be a "song mode" or not?

More seriously, I see this as a "KeyStep Pro" of sorts, which is something I've seen people wish for. Completely different price category however, so unlikely to be similarly ubiquitous.

The combination of many screens, and the pads, and the light guide should make keeping track of what's going on with the sequencer and other features a breeze. There seems to be no LED ring around the encoders thought.

I hope there's some form of scales and chord functionality in there, the light guide is good for that.

Since they mention modular, I wonder if there'll be a trig in for the arp/sequencer.

I guess what I'm getting at is that I generally don't care about MIDI controllers anymore, they're all very similar and DAW/software focused, but this swings the pendulum back towards controlling hardware enough to interest me, while still including modern MIDI controller features. I'm actually really curious about it.
Old 5th October 2018
Lives for gear

so they've ditched the old format completely.
wish they'd issue a new firmware for the mk1,
and give it more 0-16k controls. some other stuff too,
forget what right now.
Old 5th October 2018
Lives for gear

Well, if the current keyboard controller market is any indication, fewer controls is the way everybody is going. If you need lots of controls, 100mm faders and such, time for a Mackie Control, FaderPort or Behringer X-Touch. Just don't expect it in a keyboard.

I'm curious what Novation have come up with to replace Automap (which worked, but was clunky to set up).

I replaced my Impulse 61 with a Panorama P6 a few months ago and was hoping I wouldn't be sorry if a new SL suddenly appeared. Well, now that it's here I think I'm glad I didn't wait.
Old 6th October 2018
my wishful thinking is its CV implementation is on par with the one on Keystep, possibly better. meaning at least cv/gate/aux, analog clock i/o plus dividers/multipliers, midi, usb. and all possible translations btwn them, like keystep does. its a true swiss knife for synchronisation.

tho i somehow doubt it. these controller companies are incredibly slow on picking up how cv/gate has made a huge comeback, way beyond the prehistoric vintage gear. clocks, modulars, big monos, small monos, semi modulars, sequencer.. even two out of the big three, korg and roland, have jumped on the bandwagon.
Old 6th October 2018
Lives for gear
At that price point they are competing with the NI S series keyboards. It’s a tough market.
Old 6th October 2018
Lives for gear

Ultranova currently 399€...
Old 6th October 2018
Lives for gear

Ultranova currently 399€...
Old 6th October 2018
Gear Nut

It is difficult to tell from the photos, but it looks like they changed the format from the original SL & MKII where the screens lined up with the rotary encoders & faders.... Looks like the "five color lcd screens are the five squares above the pads in the top center.... Also looks like there are no more rotary encoders... Interesting to see if this controller will be as useful for direct hardware control via templates as the 1st and 2nd gen models were:
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search