The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Novation Remote Sl MK3
Old 2 days ago
Gear Head
Maybe someone can help me.

This is my setup:
SL61 MK3 >>> MIDI (DIN) >>> Synthstrom Deluge >>> MIDI (DIN) >>> Retrokits RK-004 (MIDI hub) >>> MIDI (DIN) >>> Hardware synthesizers.

For entering chords I would like to add a Kordbot at the front of the chain, so it sends MIDI data to the SL's MIDI IN. In the SL's preferences I have managed to find (and activate) the setting that shows the key leds light up. However the SL doesn't forward the notes down the chain, nor does it enter those notes in the SL's sequencer.

Note: I do not own a Kordbot yet, so I use an Arturia Keystep to test this out, which shouldn't make a difference.

So, I'm not sure if what I want to do can be done, and if it can be done what I must do to make it work. Can anyone help me? Thanks.

Last edited by SkullHQX; 2 days ago at 03:01 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac
Do you have input monitoring turned on for each midi device you want the Kordbot to interact with?
Old 2 days ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solapse View Post
Do you have input monitoring turned on for each midi device you want the Kordbot to interact with?
Not sure what you mean. If I hit keys on the Keystep (Kordbot) the key leds of that channel/instrument on the SL light up. If I switch to another channel/instrument on the SL, they do not light up. If I press the lit op keys on the SL (while pressing down on the corresponding keys on the Keystep (Kordbot) I hear the synth play the notes I'm pressing on the SL.

So in effect pressing a key on the Keystep (Kordbot) only lights up the SL's key leds, but does not (virtually) press the key on the SL. If that makes sense.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac
In the template, for the unit, there is an option for Input Monitoring. You set this on each device that you want the Midi In device to sent through info to.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Head
Quote:
In the template, for the unit, there is an option for Input Monitoring. You set this on each device that you want the Midi In device to sent through info to.
Okay, I need to check that. I'll be back. Thanks
Old 2 days ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Yes, that was the issue. Many thanks!
Old 1 day ago
Gear Maniac
No worries. This, like lots of bits on the SL MK3, aren't really documented. I had my unit for around 6 months before finding out
Old 1 day ago
Gear Head
Quote:
No worries. This, like lots of bits on the SL MK3, aren't really documented. I had my unit for around 6 months before finding out
I partied too soon... It turns out the noted indeed can be played from the external keyboard through the SL. But they can't be stored in the sequencer of the SL. They just do not register.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Maniac
That's right. It essentially creates a "midi thru".
Old 1 day ago
Gear Head
Quote:
That's right. It essentially creates a "midi thru".
I'm glad it at least does that. Just wished it would also enter the notes in the sequencer. Well, maybe Novation will add that capability at one point?

There is the option to hold a chord (tried it with a chord app on an iPad that was connected to the SL's USB), hold the sequencer's target pad and typed over the white lit key leds to turn them red.

Next thing to get going is to make some of the SL's controls target my Behringer X-Air XR18 mixrack's controls. It has midi in and some of the controls can be targeted with CC.
Old 23 hours ago
Gear Maniac
Yeah many functions need workarounds. It really does need some quality of life updates. Sysex, more "rows of controls", chainable NPRNs (for Roland device bank select), and dimmed "off" buttons would be great. For the last one, I find it hard to discern if a button is on, or just backlit - having an option so that if the parameter is "off" the button is totally dim is perfect. This means the device works better in well-lit environments.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search