The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Novation Remote Sl MK3
Old 3rd January 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsaintjohn View Post
I think you’re missing or underestimating the use of multiple Sessions. The limits you outlined above within a single Session are correct, but I rarely compose a piece that doesn’t include at least 2 and usually 4-6 Sessions with (usually) identical mappings, each for different sections of a “song”. Of course, transitions from Session to Session are manual (chaining would be nice) but are smooth and only one timed button push. Once I started working like this, it was quite easy and opened up a great deal of variety during performance.
Thanks so much. As soon as I read this I realised that you can cue up sessions just as though selecting patterns.

Brilliant!

Now to figure out how to get notes positioned off the grid hopefully!
Old 4th January 2020
Gear Head

Hi Guys
i dont want to create an account in facebook and facebook is the way given by novation to request features
(link in this page: https://novationmusic.com/en/news/sl...43qX2bOUcNHH9Q).
Can someone post these points below in Facebook ? :

-> 'tic' tempo : it is really really needed for a sequencer. Very basic (in setting: user can allocate a midi channel / note for the sound of the tic tempo). Starting some live playing without tempo is a bit ... hum ...
-> increase the number of knobs/button/fader banks. Today we can't create a template with enought cc parameter. It means that having to come back to components is strongly painfull ...
-> allow to program the assignation of the knobs/faders/knob from the keyboard itself to midi cc (without the computer need/component). This point is less important if you increase the bank number. Today not enought bank + not able to assign knobs from keyboard... together it is just killer.
-> accept "midi in" cc's (for automation in seq). At this step the midi in of the sl MKIII is unusefull.

thanks for your help ....
Old 4th January 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by yomanfree View Post

-> increase the number of knobs/button/fader banks. Today we can't create a template with enought cc parameter. It means that having to come back to components is strongly painfull ...

-> accept "midi in" cc's (for automation in seq). At this step the midi in of the sl MKIII is unusefull.

I had an open ticket with Novation support in Dec 2018. I brought up these 2 points in my emails with them, and got the standard "thx, we're looking into it" response. It seems like adding more virtual knobs / buttons / faders would be easy enough just by creating more pages of them and accessing these via the up / down arrows to the left of the grid.

I also brought up NRPN issues then, and at least some of that has been addressed in a recent update, so there is hope.

The biggie for me is SYSEX support.
Old 6th January 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sans Nom View Post
So with the last live update the display issue is now fixed, but the grid still doesn’t work...

Back to version 10.0.6...
What do you mean the grid still doesn't work? It's fine for me, here
Old 6th January 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by themixtape View Post
Yes, just checked, it works, thanks for correcting. Don’t exactly know what happened. It seems though that the grid is on midi channel 5, correct? Is there any possibility to change that setting?
Old 6th January 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Yes, just checked, it works, thanks for correcting. Don’t exactly know what happened. It seems though that the grid is on midi channel 5, correct? Is there any possibility to change that setting?
Check your SL MKIII's channel/track. Usually the default Template/Session layout is Track 1 / Ch1, Track 2 / Ch2, etc... go into the Template setup/settings with SHIFT+SESSIONS. You can set the MIDI channel there
Old 7th January 2020
Gear Addict

Just a heads-up-- in Ableton 10.1.6, the SL MKIII's script (the broken "Options" issue) is now fixed. Before, when pressing "Options", the text/graphics would disappear from the screens, and everything got wacky. Everything's perfect and fixed in 10.1.6.

Tip- you can grab the SL MKIII's script folder from any 10.1.6 install (such as installing a demo of Ableton Live Lite or whatever) and delete the old SL MKIII script in MIDI Remote Scripts (in your current Ableton install), if you want to use it in Ableton 10.1.3 (which is the version that supported Launchpad X, Launchpad Mini MK3 and Launchkey Mini MK3, but BROKE the SL MKIII).

Sometimes people hate to upgrade to the latest version, because of bugs... but again, that SL MKIII script works perfectly, as Ableton definitely fixed the script (thank you!)
Old 7th January 2020
Here for the gear

Grid not working for me either

Quote:
When in patterns view, if I hit 'Grid' then I get the pads all empty instead of seeing the patterns laid out in vertical columns by part.

Maybe something else is meant by Grid also?
Old 7th January 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by yomanfree View Post
Hi Guys
i dont want to create an account in facebook and facebook is the way given by novation to request features
(link in this page: https://novationmusic.com/en/news/sl...43qX2bOUcNHH9Q).
Can someone post these points below in Facebook ? :

-> 'tic' tempo : it is really really needed for a sequencer. Very basic (in setting: user can allocate a midi channel / note for the sound of the tic tempo). Starting some live playing without tempo is a bit ... hum ...
-> allow to program the assignation of the knobs/faders/knob from the keyboard itself to midi cc (without the computer need/component). This point is less important if you increase the bank number. Today not enought bank + not able to assign knobs from keyboard... together it is just killer.

I have posted this on the Novation Facebook page for you.
Old 7th January 2020
Gear Head

Thanks a lot
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingBuddha View Post
I have posted this on the Novation Facebook page for you.
Old 7th January 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingBuddha View Post
When in patterns view, if I hit 'Grid' then I get the pads all empty instead of seeing the patterns laid out in vertical columns by part.

Maybe something else is meant by Grid also?
I think that's how it normally works when using the internal sequencer. Grid mode is for custom notes/CC messages, per Track.
Old 15th January 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
I think that's how it normally works when using the internal sequencer. Grid mode is for custom notes/CC messages, per Track.
I may have had that wrong then. I can get the vertical layout by hitting Shift+Patterns(Expand)
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

So with the Launchpad Pro Mk3's sequencer having step probability, randomisation of pitch on a step and other things like chords - do we think these will come to the SL MK3? I love the SL MK3's abilites to assign and name controls for my external synths, and to have as many splits as I like on the keyboard with so much flexibilty; but I do find myself naval gazing at the higher step count per pattern, the per step probability and pitch randomisation, chord mode and the transpose and metronome capabilities of the Keystep (pro). Why can't there just be a perfect sequencer, damn it!?

I am not a keyboard player, so the keys are less important to me than a decent sequencer. I loved the workflow of the Circuit, but the limitations on tracks and no screen killed it for me - hence why I found the SL MK3 such a winner. I have to say I am tempted to get the Launchpad Pro upon release and see which of the two devices work best for me. I am most worried that the answer will be both! So maybe not

What do fellow SL MK3 owners think?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by person147 View Post
So with the Launchpad Pro Mk3's sequencer having step probability, randomisation of pitch on a step and other things like chords - do we think these will come to the SL MK3? I love the SL MK3's abilites to assign and name controls for my external synths, and to have as many splits as I like on the keyboard with so much flexibilty; but I do find myself naval gazing at the higher step count per pattern, the per step probability and pitch randomisation, chord mode and the transpose and metronome capabilities of the Keystep (pro). Why can't there just be a perfect sequencer, damn it!?

I am not a keyboard player, so the keys are less important to me than a decent sequencer. I loved the workflow of the Circuit, but the limitations on tracks and no screen killed it for me - hence why I found the SL MK3 such a winner. I have to say I am tempted to get the Launchpad Pro upon release and see which of the two devices work best for me. I am most worried that the answer will be both! So maybe not

What do fellow SL MK3 owners think?
Had the SLMK3 for a little time and sold it. With only having 16 pads it felt limited in use.

For me the LPPMK3 provides a much better overview of the sequences running. The lack of keys isn't a deal breaker for me. If needed just hook up any MIDI keyboard and problem fixed.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Really have a love / hate relationship with this damn keyboard

Love the fact you can control multiple devices / plugns

HATE ... the structure of sessions etc... and the Components software makes me want to scream more than any piece of software I've used in years

Novation could make life so much easier if they just do some simple, step by step videos explaining how many different aspects of the keyboard are supposed to work

My main beef is thw way sessions work.... I have a session for my hardware (using templates for Juno, JX etc) but no USB output, then another for USB output only, then something else etc. It's a way for me to get playing things quickly

BUT... if I wanted to actually build patterns for a particular piece of music I'm creating, how the F*CK do I copy my base Session to another pad location, then mess about with that? Can't do it on the keyboard, and when I go into Components, you cant seem to drag and drop for example. So you end up havign to manually create your sessions (adding in templates one by one)... absolute vibe killer

And why the hell cant you update the template names ON the keyboard? And why the hell cant Components display the template names when overwriting, instead of 'Template 1', 'Template 2' etc?

So badly designed, launched and supported... and I think they know it
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsymoth View Post
My main beef is thw way sessions work.... I have a session for my hardware (using templates for Juno, JX etc) but no USB output, then another for USB output only, then something else etc. It's a way for me to get playing things quickly

BUT... if I wanted to actually build patterns for a particular piece of music I'm creating, how the F*CK do I copy my base Session to another pad location, then mess about with that? Can't do it on the keyboard, and when I go into Components, you cant seem to drag and drop for example. So you end up havign to manually create your sessions (adding in templates one by one)... absolute vibe killer
Not totally sure I understood your point, but you can duplicate one of your session directly on the keyboard:

Quote:
Originally Posted by manual
In Sessions View selected you also have the option to save the Session to a new location or change the colour of the
Session. Press the Save button once so that the Save button is flashing. You will notice that you can now use the two
left-most soft buttons below the screen to scroll through different session colours. Once you have found your preferred
colour, either press the Save button again to save in place or select a different session pad to save the Session to a
new slot. This will overwrite any data that is currently saved to that slot.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

On a more positive note I really like this keybed so far. I'm not as an advanced music producer as many of you are, so that's true that I don't feel limited by the current shortcomings atm (number of steps/pattern, lack of sysex support, component software only template edition). On the other hand, each time I press the InControl button that gives me access to soft synth and effects parameters, or simply instrument/drum racks (live user here), that's a fantastic feeling. Being able to sequence my hardware synths while actually playing with some effects like the Valhalla series using the knobs and lcd screens, just as if it was all integrated into the keybed, then come back to the hardware synth parts editing, all by pressing a few buttons, that's crazy for me really. In that sense they really managed to do what they wanted to do in the first place (at least for live users), ie doing a master keybed for hybrid hardware/VST studios. It's true that there are limitations due to that nature but if you can accept them then it's a very powerful tool IMO.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Not totally sure I understood your point, but you can duplicate one of your session directly on the keyboard:
Ah, this is very useful. Thanks - will try that

My other beefs still apply tho!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
On a more positive note I really like this keybed so far. I'm not as an advanced music producer as many of you are, so that's true that I don't feel limited by the current shortcomings atm (number of steps/pattern, lack of sysex support, component software only template edition). On the other hand, each time I press the InControl button that gives me access to soft synth and effects parameters, or simply instrument/drum racks (live user here), that's a fantastic feeling. Being able to sequence my hardware synths while actually playing with some effects like the Valhalla series using the knobs and lcd screens, just as if it was all integrated into the keybed, then come back to the hardware synth parts editing, all by pressing a few buttons, that's crazy for me really. In that sense they really managed to do what they wanted to do in the first place (at least for live users), ie doing a master keybed for hybrid hardware/VST studios. It's true that there are limitations due to that nature but if you can accept them then it's a very powerful tool IMO.
Good to hear

When you press In Control are the Valhalla controls automapping or are you doing it manually?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsymoth View Post
Good to hear

When you press In Control are the Valhalla controls automapping or are you doing it manually?
That's automapped. With effects it's very effective since in general there are less parameters than vst synths, so you have a direct acces to key parameters immediately. For synths, less so, you get the full list and your cutoff knob may be hidden somewhere. I wish the most popular vst synths could have their own specific link to the mk3. For example the Arturia analog lab with its macro knobs, with names and values changing on the fly when changing presets.
Old 3 weeks ago
So just so I'm clear, you only have access to 16 knob parameters and 8 fader parameters assignable to a particular instrument or template (or whatever the nomenclature is…) and there are only two banks per? That's it? No additional banks to assign additional controls?

I'm not so interested in the DAW integration that seems to be most peoples major complaint, but instead want to control a rack synth, specifically the Nord Modular Engine. Having a bank of knobs that I could name with a display of the parameter name would be great, but I'd definitely want more than 16 parameters available…

Sorry if this has been answered previously, I looked through and didn't see anything specifically referencing this particular feature.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperstationjr View Post
So just so I'm clear, you only have access to 16 knob parameters and 8 fader parameters assignable to a particular instrument or template (or whatever the nomenclature is…) and there are only two banks per? That's it? No additional banks to assign additional controls?

I returned my controller, but yes you can only have what you described, plus the buttons. If you need more, you can make multiple "instruments" for more controls.

I think in a device like this that does "everything", there are inevitably going to be lots of compromises. It would be awesome to have a more modern version of BCR2000 with OLED screens below each knob, instead of LED rings.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Most of the controllers can be assigned CC, PC, NRPN. Some can also be assigned notes and aftertouch / polyAT.

16 knobs (8 x 2 banks)
16 buttons
8 faders
16 pads, with poly AT
mod wheel
sustain, footswitch, expression pedal
keyboard aftertouch

So that gives you 77 controllers per instrument / part / template / whatchamacallit -- with 59 of them being continuous controllers, and the rest just switches. If you need more, you can assign two "Parts" to the same MIDI channel that your Nord Modular is on, essentially doubling it to 154 controllers. Want more? Then assign yet another Part to your Nord. So theoretically, if you're only controlling your Nord, you could assign all 8 parts to your Nord, giving you 16 knob displays x 8 parts (that's 128 displays), and a few hundred controllers with no display.

Now that's per Session. So you could dedicate one Session to your Nord, then use other Sessions where you divvy up the "Parts" to different instruments in your studio.

The pads are interesting because you can assign not only notes, CC, NRPN like normal, but you can also assign a separate set of controls to the pressure-sensitive portion -- note, CC, NRPN, aftertouch, poly aftertouch. So touch a pad to activate, say, an OSC an octave higher, then press the same pad to vary vibrato depth.

I just updated, and they've added more options regarding 7-bit, 8-bit, and 14-bit. What surprised me is all this poly aftertouch going on...

Poly Aftertouch can be output from any of these, and each on separate MIDI channels as needed:

16 grid pads
8 faders
wheel
exp pedal
keyboard aftertouch
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by psionic11 View Post
16 knobs (8 x 2 banks)
16 buttons
8 faders
16 pads, with poly AT
mod wheel
sustain, footswitch, expression pedal
keyboard aftertouch

So that gives you 77 controllers per instrument / part / template / whatchamacallit -- with 59 of them being continuous controllers, and the rest just switches. If you need more, you can assign two "Parts" to the same MIDI channel that your Nord Modular is on, essentially doubling it to 154 controllers. Want more? Then assign yet another Part to your Nord. So theoretically, if you're only controlling your Nord, you could assign all 8 parts to your Nord, giving you 16 knob displays x 8 parts (that's 128 displays), and a few hundred controllers with no display.
I get what you're saying and that all sounds good, but for me in practice, I'm really not using buttons for much, nor am I using pedal expressions, and most times honestly I'm not even playing the keyboard. The pads with AT are interesting. Still, in most cases, I'm going to be setting this up to run four parts of the Nord, so while I could double up and use two parts per, the fact that there just aren't more banks for the knobs seems like a silly restriction for something that is otherwise so powerful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cognistudio View Post
I think in a device like this that does "everything", there are inevitably going to be lots of compromises. It would be awesome to have a more modern version of BCR2000 with OLED screens below each knob, instead of LED rings.
For the price, and the fact that really it's just a matter of software as opposed to any major physical changes, that's a big letdown and a deal breaker unless I can find it for a great deal.

Basically looking for a replacement for my BCR2000, which I still have and works well, but I was really hoping for something with actual readouts of the parameters in question. I'm probably going to be looking at the older SL line then, though I wonder if those have the same limitation now.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
I get what you're saying and that all sounds good, but for me in practice, I'm really not using buttons for much, nor am I using pedal expressions, and most times honestly I'm not even playing the keyboard. The pads with AT are interesting. Still, in most cases, I'm going to be setting this up to run four parts of the Nord, so while I could double up and use two parts per, the fact that there just aren't more banks for the knobs seems like a silly restriction for something that is otherwise so powerful.

For the price, and the fact that really it's just a matter of software as opposed to any major physical changes, that's a big letdown and a deal breaker unless I can find it for a great deal.

Basically looking for a replacement for my BCR2000, which I still have and works well, but I was really hoping for something with actual readouts of the parameters in question. I'm probably going to be looking at the older SL line then, though I wonder if those have the same limitation now.
I really hope they will fix that in a firmware update. In InControl mode you also have a lot more banks of knobs. I don't understand the thought behind this limitation. Same with the faders. Would also be nice to switch the display to the faders to see what they control.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fear83 View Post
I really hope they will fix that in a firmware update. In InControl mode you also have a lot more banks of knobs. I don't understand the thought behind this limitation. Same with the faders. Would also be nice to switch the display to the faders to see what they control.
InControl is not really banking anything. Ableton and your computer is handling all of that. Basically the SLMK3 becomes a "dumb" device when in InControl mode and Ableton basically explicitly tells it what it wants the device to do, from drawing the knobs to how to color the pads.

I'm not sure how much memory the SLMK3 has internally so that could be why there is an issue there.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
If you have an iPad and you're handy with MIDI, check out MidiDesigner.

With that, you could create a control surface for your Nords. But... you might be saying to yourself, you prefer hardware knobs versus touchscreen.

Well, you're in luck, because MidiDesigner has a feature called PedalBoards. Basically, the idea is to use hardware controllers to control MidiDesigner, which then controls your Nord.
The end result? You turn knobs on your BCR to control your Nord, while the iPad lets you see exactly what each knob does, since you created and labeled everything yourself.

Best of all worlds.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:

I'm not so interested in the DAW integration that seems to be most peoples major complaint, but instead want to control a rack synth, specifically the Nord Modular Engine. Having a bank of knobs that I could name with a display of the parameter name would be great, but I'd definitely want more than 16 parameters available…

Sorry if this has been answered previously, I looked through and didn't see anything specifically referencing this particular feature.
Totally agree - I wanted mine mainly to be a central control for my hardware studio - having easy and SIMULTANEOUS access to many of the instruments. The idea of having to use multiple templates for a single instrument kinda defeats the purpose of having all the different zones etc.

The easiest way to solve this is for each of the 16 pads to act as banks selectors for the encoders - suitable for drum machines and very complex synths.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by pechnatunk View Post
Totally agree - I wanted mine mainly to be a central control for my hardware studio - having easy and SIMULTANEOUS access to many of the instruments. The idea of having to use multiple templates for a single instrument kinda defeats the purpose of having all the different zones etc.

The easiest way to solve this is for each of the 16 pads to act as banks selectors for the encoders - suitable for drum machines and very complex synths.
EXACTLY! That's initially how I thought it worked until I read a bit more about it. That seems like such an obvious feature to add that would make it very powerful, but omitting it and leaving you with just 16 knobs per… I don't understand it.

Give me a similar form factor with the knobs, sliders, and pads, with like 8 pages and 16 banks, maybe throw in transport control and scale modes, and ditch the sequencer stuff and I'm in.
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

So iv been looking a ableton push 2, for a month then came across this one,.

my use would only be inside the midi keyboard for now, so im totaly new to a groovebox kinda tool, im not great at chords, and making EDM music and/beat´s inside Ableton live 10 + i use alot of Vst plugins.

1. i think the scale functions + led´s would help me learn to play chords? am i wrong. + be the best workflow whit ableton live + Vst plugins?

2 would getting maby a push 2 and/or launchpad pro mk3 be better option, i mean more in depth and in control over the step sequencer.
(im a beginnner so i think no screen on the device would slow me down alot learning) + my current arturia keylab 49 be a better combo?
im not gonna use any outboard gear as of now. if getting both a push 2 and a sl mk3 61 (or another keyboard like ni kontrol /recomend me a midi combo if you want.) if so what would be the best to get first?? learning wise and ease of use

3. Futhermore ithink there more tutorials/sub tutor programs out on the push 2 would that Triumph the other features on the sl mk3 for a beginner?.

4 i read that the ls mk3 have got new firmwere whit Max gate of 32 steps - Steps can now be as long as 32 steps, allowing them to be longer than a duration of a pattern + 6 micro step pr step, would that mean anything to me as a beginner, + it polyfonic is that a awsome thing too???? and can the push/launchpad pro do that?

I got loads of questions, as i know nothing it looks fancy on videos but i got no experience at all whit this kind of device.
ohh and im buying used.

Slots-
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search