Volca (sample) firmware hack?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Ok
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vromber View Post
I want to see final polished bugless version with all possible features.
You know, while i disagree with everything about state control of the internet or user tracking etc, once in a while a dickhead will pop up that just makes me wish we could actually just say "**** you then mate, you will never ever be able to download this FREE software that the developer has made for FREE, in his own time and generously shared for FREE"

Take your greedy bastard attitude and go pay for something.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

My question was about the dev time of this project. Are we in the middle or there are few tweaks to add.

Last edited by vromber; 5 days ago at 09:03 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

My question was about the dev time of this project. Are we in the middle or there are few improvements to add.
dev time is: 'kinda quite a long time, due to other commitments, but you'll get the occasional update if you keep an eye out for it, and if you miss the download, ranzee will probably re-host it'.

Last edited by ibtl; 1 week ago at 08:02 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
The problem here is that many people is not really aware of what involves ASM coding, google it and have a look, or try to decode the original firmware, and once you have a proper unassembled ARM code go and try to implement any modification.

A whole new MIDI stack was implemented by @ pajen without using the original source code (probably written in C# or any other high-level language), he decoded the firmware and obtained pure machine-level code and worked on it,this is not trivial for the 95% of us.
Seriously.

Others are asking for money for less advanced
custom firmwares such as Shaman ER1. (Great firmware but not as advanced as Peter's one)

I want to take the opportunity to thank Peter for all the time he is dedicating to this Volca firmware, it is not common to find this kind of person in the net and even less common doing it for free so we should be more grateful in this time where one want have anything on demand and fast.

Last edited by jzurd0; 6 days ago at 11:53 AM.. Reason: Typos
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Does Volca Sample send CC on MIDI Out when turning the knobs? (not when playing from sequencers?)
Would it be possible to add that feature? It would allow for external gear to record knob movement.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Next week I will receive a MIDI Solutions Quadra Thru V2 (1 MIDI input, 4 MIDI outputs). The plan is to connect this to my Akai XR20 (or Roland MC-101) and use the sequencer on that to drive a few of my other devices. This also includes the Korg Volca Beats and Korg Volca Sample.

Ideally it would be possible to let the Akai XR20 sequence the Korg Volca Beats on MIDI channel 10 (which already works), and the Korg Volca Sample on MIDI channel 11. There is also a third MIDI channel available on the Akai XR20 (freely assignable), which could be used for the Roland MC-101. But the Akai XR20 is mainly used for drum sequencing. This frees up two tracks on the Roland MC-101, creates the possibility to save many more patterns than on the Volca's, has a song mode (pattern chaining, 99 songs), and acts as a master clock signal for all other gear.

I have a question about this MIDI channel 11 that is used in the unofficial firmware. The Akai XR20 does not have the option to trigger all kinds of MIDI control messages. It will be mainly used for note triggering via MIDI channel 11. Is it then still possible to edit the sounds on the Korg Volca Sample and trigger those edited sounds via MIDI channel 11? Or will only the unedited samples be triggered via this channel? For example: a 16 step sequence with edited sounds will be created on the Korg Volca Sample, and afterwards this sequence will be ported over to the Akai XR20. However, I would still want to trigger the edited "sample kit" on the Korg Volca Sample. Has anybody tried something similar and what are your experiences?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

in theory you could have a midimerge into the Sample, adding the control data that the XR20 can't send. (sounds a bit cumbersome. you'd really want the sequencing to be done by something that can generate and send those CC, all-in-one)

Last edited by ibtl; 5 days ago at 06:06 AM..
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

I'm having an issue with my Beatstep Pro and Volca Sample with Pajen's firmware 7, and it's an issue I've never had when using the factory firmware, so I wonder if it's related to the pajen firmware.

When I trigger a sample by pressing the key on the KVS, the sample plays at the correct pitch (speed parameter). However, if I trigger this same sample from the BSP, the sample plays back as if the speed parameter is turned all the way down, and thus the sample is pitched way down (several octaves I'd imagine). Also, once I trigger a sample from the BSP, if I then go and press that same sample on the KVS, the sample remains pitched all the way down, even with my speed knob untouched and at 12 o'clock. As soon as I turn the speed knob, the sample corrects itself and plays back at the speed/pitch dictated by the speed knob on the KVS.

Is there anything in the firmware that might cause an external trigger device (in this case the BSP) to change the speed parameter of a sample on the Volca Sample? I don't use cc sends or anything like that, and I am currently not using any of the fancier aspects of the pajen firmware. This firmware is installed, but I'm basically just trying to use the Sample as "normal" mode, as if I have the factory firmware installed.

Any thoughts or advice is appreciated. Thanks
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbysteels View Post
I'm having an issue with my Beatstep Pro and Volca Sample with Pajen's firmware 7, and it's an issue I've never had when using the factory firmware, so I wonder if it's related to the pajen firmware.

When I trigger a sample by pressing the key on the KVS, the sample plays at the correct pitch (speed parameter). However, if I trigger this same sample from the BSP, the sample plays back as if the speed parameter is turned all the way down, and thus the sample is pitched way down (several octaves I'd imagine). Also, once I trigger a sample from the BSP, if I then go and press that same sample on the KVS, the sample remains pitched all the way down, even with my speed knob untouched and at 12 o'clock. As soon as I turn the speed knob, the sample corrects itself and plays back at the speed/pitch dictated by the speed knob on the KVS.

Is there anything in the firmware that might cause an external trigger device (in this case the BSP) to change the speed parameter of a sample on the Volca Sample? I don't use cc sends or anything like that, and I am currently not using any of the fancier aspects of the pajen firmware. This firmware is installed, but I'm basically just trying to use the Sample as "normal" mode, as if I have the factory firmware installed.

Any thoughts or advice is appreciated. Thanks

I re-installed the Korg factory firmware and the BSP triggers the KVS properly, without the down-pitching, so this does appear to be related to the pajen firmware. Any ideas on how I can use pajen's firmware without the speed parameter being changed?
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbysteels View Post
I re-installed the Korg factory firmware and the BSP triggers the KVS properly, without the down-pitching, so this does appear to be related to the pajen firmware. Any ideas on how I can use pajen's firmware without the speed parameter being changed?
Goto "note filter', set it to "t-v" so that it reacts to TRIG and VELO and not NOTE, on the parts you want to use.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

My question was about the dev time of this project. Are we in the middle or there are few tweaks to add.
for all we know, pajen may be picking through the conundrum of the Sample firmware on a continuous basis. it isn't necessarily a linear process.

what i'm dying to hear about from @ pajen ... is this arpeggiator midi out he has tantalisingly mentioned on the volca FM ! no mention of that since... were there any issues?
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzurd0 View Post
The problem here is that many people is not really aware of what involves ASM coding, google it and have a look, or try to decode the original firmware, and once you have a proper unassembled ARM code go and try to implement any modification.

A whole new MIDI stack was implemented by @ pajen without using the original source code (probably written in C# or any other high-level language), he decoded the firmware and obtained pure machine-level code and worked on it,this is not trivial for the 95% of us.
Seriously.
I agree with the sentiment wholeheartedly, but there are many assumptions here. Has pajen said that it was written in assembler has no access to the source code and is not being paid? I ask because Behringer is working with outside individual developers under NDA.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Are you suggesting he works for Korg, and the files are just randomly uploaded not anywhere in the Korg online media, just for fun, or to create some kind of underground hacker vibe hahahahahaha, if this was Korg, they would be advertising the **** out of it.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantb3 View Post
I agree with the sentiment wholeheartedly, but there are many assumptions here. Has pajen said that it was written in assembler has no access to the source code and is not being paid? I ask because Behringer is working with outside individual developers under NDA.

yes. not paid, doing it for fun, curiosity and altruism, and working backwards without any access to the source code, flipping bits and figuring it out.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibtl View Post

what i'm dying to hear about from @ pajen ... is this arpeggiator midi out he has tantalisingly mentioned on the volca FM ! no mention of that since... were there any issues?
i'm likely to get rowdy about this, and keep asking, so please bear with me (what the hell, keep the KSRack just to have a 4-part midi arpeggiator. for what i paid for it... £113 ebay winwin). i just like the idea of 2x vFM+arp+patterns+midi out.
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wootson View Post
Next week I will receive a MIDI Solutions Quadra Thru V2 (1 MIDI input, 4 MIDI outputs). The plan is to connect this to my Akai XR20 (or Roland MC-101) and use the sequencer on that to drive a few of my other devices. This also includes the Korg Volca Beats and Korg Volca Sample.

Ideally it would be possible to let the Akai XR20 sequence the Korg Volca Beats on MIDI channel 10 (which already works), and the Korg Volca Sample on MIDI channel 11. There is also a third MIDI channel available on the Akai XR20 (freely assignable), which could be used for the Roland MC-101. But the Akai XR20 is mainly used for drum sequencing. This frees up two tracks on the Roland MC-101, creates the possibility to save many more patterns than on the Volca's, has a song mode (pattern chaining, 99 songs), and acts as a master clock signal for all other gear.

I have a question about this MIDI channel 11 that is used in the unofficial firmware. The Akai XR20 does not have the option to trigger all kinds of MIDI control messages. It will be mainly used for note triggering via MIDI channel 11. Is it then still possible to edit the sounds on the Korg Volca Sample and trigger those edited sounds via MIDI channel 11? Or will only the unedited samples be triggered via this channel? For example: a 16 step sequence with edited sounds will be created on the Korg Volca Sample, and afterwards this sequence will be ported over to the Akai XR20. However, I would still want to trigger the edited "sample kit" on the Korg Volca Sample. Has anybody tried something similar and what are your experiences?
Answering my own question here, because in the meanwhile I installed the unofficial firmware and tried a few routing setups.

In short, everything works as desired now, with the following setup:
  • Roland MC-101: used for the MIDI clock signal, does not export any other MIDI data
  • Roland MC-101: MIDI Out -----> Akai XR20: MIDI In
  • Akai XR20: accepts incoming MIDI clock signal (but does not further export it to other gear via MIDI Out), and is used for sequencing the Korg Volca Beats and Korg Volca Sample
  • Akai XR20: "DRUM" sequence lane is set to MIDI channel 12 and the note values for the drum pads are remapped to correspond with the note values on the Korg Volca Beats
  • Akai XR20: "1SHOT" sequence lane is set to MIDI channel 11 and the note values for the drum pads are remapped to correspond with the note values on the Korg Volca Sample
  • Akai XR20: MIDI Out -----> MIDI Solutions Quadra Thru V2 (1 MIDI input, 4 MIDI outputs)
  • MIDI Solutions Quadra Thru V2: MIDI Out 1 -----> Korg Volca Beats
  • MIDI Solutions Quadra Thru V2: MIDI Out 2 -----> Korg Volca Sample
My Akai XR20 is hereby baptized to "Korg Volca Composer".

Now I can just press play on the Roland MC-101 and the Akai XR20 will start at the same time. The Akai XR20 can also be put in and out of record mode separately from the Roland MC-101, and can also be started/stopped separately. This setup also allows to mute the whole DRUM and/or 1SHOT sequence lanes at once, muting all sounds on the Volca's at once. The Akai XR20 also features four sub patterns per pattern (A, B, Fill A to B, Fill B to A). There is also a song mode on board, and a pattern play mode which assigns patterns to the drum pads (press pad x, play pattern y). It supports different quantization options and you can use the note repeat in correspondence to that.

All regular options on the Volca's are still available. You can edit and mute/unmute the sounds separately from what is happening on the Akai XR20.

Super awesome setup! Thank you @ pajen !

By the way, the Alesis SR18 features the very same sequencer options, because it is essentially the same machine as the Akai XR20 in regards to the operating system. The Alesis SR18 just has a different housing and sample set.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Finally tried out the firmware and it’s incredible! Put it in poly 4 mode, add some triggers, and then play in your chords, maybe change the samples up..it’s great!

I have mine loaded with samples from various old Korg drum machines and ROMplers and it really does the job!
Old 2 days ago
Gear Nut

What`s the difference between 3 reverbs?
I don`t hear it.
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

Hi guys!

First of all, Im deeply grateful with all the hard workers on this thread! especially Pajen, thanks man!!!
Im writing because im having an issue that I saw that nobody has in all the thread:
im sequencing the Volca Sample (FW beta7) with a DAW. The Volca is a slave and the DAW is the master. The device is receiving midi signal, but only sounds one sample at time. Example; if there is a kick, snare, and hat in the same place, its gonna sound only one of them.

Somebody has this problem?
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abeco View Post

im having an issue that I saw that nobody has in all the thread:
im sequencing the Volca Sample (FW beta7) with a DAW. The Volca is a slave and the DAW is the master. The device is receiving midi signal, but only sounds one sample at time. Example; if there is a kick, snare, and hat in the same place, its gonna sound only one of them.
Did you enable advanced features?

While holding FUNC, turn on the power. You are now in GLOBAL mode.
Make sure Step Buttons 9 and 10 are both LIT. This enables Advanced Features.
Press REC to save your changes and enter LIVE mode.
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

Hey man, thanks for the quick response, and yes, they are enabled. Im using the Sequencer Mode (Step Buton 10) so I have the rest of the Midi Channels available.
And im in the midi channel 11. The rest of the advanced settings are off. Im interested in this FW only for the positility to move the default 10 midi channels to 1 midi channel (11 in this case).
Old 15 hours ago
Here for the gear

When I put the notes like the link image below works, But its not a good idea to move all individual notes a little bit to work.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k2tt8tzgig...31.07.png?dl=0

The problem is when they are alligned (like the image below) only one sound at time.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s4v6zl55i8...37.02.png?dl=0

Im using the Korg Volca Sample with the last firmware (7) in Single Channel Mode (Midi Channel 11) slaved to Ableton Live. Connected with this cable:

https://http2.mlstatic.com/el-nuevo-..._052019-F.webp

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search