The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Volca (sample) firmware hack?
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pajen View Post
Hi guys,
Hereis a beta of an unofficial FW for the Volca Sample.

U... ARE THE MAN...

Signed, crazy guy who has 6...
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever17 View Post
haha we definitely have to buy pajen another volca
Someone should set up fund or somethin somwhow. Even if just 1 dollar a person im guessing it would add up quite fast for what hes done for folks and their gear... Maybe he could get himself something a bit nicer then a Volca heh... Im thinkin he deserves it but im rather biased as he just made my setup a lot better with his effort and work...
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hi, anyone using a Beatstep Pro with the new firmware? got a weird problem, probably something silly but I can't figure it out.

Firstly I have global setting 9 lit and 10 unlit so I can jump right into the firmware with the setup I already had working. (midi channels 1-10)

When I press any Key on the Volca Sample it plays the sample normally at normal speed but when I press a Pad on the BSP it plays the sample really slow (hard to say but about 1/2 or 1/4 speed) I then press a key on the Volca Sample again and it plays the same sample really slow again, the only way to rectify it it to move the speed knob up and down on the sample and it plays at normal speed again until I press a Pad on the BSP and..... you get the idea

My setup is BSP(master clock) > Midi out Splitter to Roland TB-3 and Keystep then Keystep > Behringer Crave > Miditech Tru4 > Volca Bass, Sample, FM and Keys

This setup has worked flawlessly for months now which makes me think there's a setting I'm missing in the new Sample firmware.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeboi View Post
Hi, anyone using a Beatstep Pro with the new firmware? got a weird problem, probably something silly but I can't figure it out.

Firstly I have global setting 9 lit and 10 unlit so I can jump right into the firmware with the setup I already had working. (midi channels 1-10)

When I press any Key on the Volca Sample it plays the sample normally at normal speed but when I press a Pad on the BSP it plays the sample really slow (hard to say but about 1/2 or 1/4 speed) I then press a key on the Volca Sample again and it plays the same sample really slow again, the only way to rectify it it to move the speed knob up and down on the sample and it plays at normal speed again until I press a Pad on the BSP and..... you get the idea

My setup is BSP(master clock) > Midi out Splitter to Roland TB-3 and Keystep then Keystep > Behringer Crave > Miditech Tru4 > Volca Bass, Sample, FM and Keys

This setup has worked flawlessly for months now which makes me think there's a setting I'm missing in the new Sample firmware.
recommend using a midi keyboard initially so you can figure out how the pitch offset is affected. in the meantime, sacrifice the pitch envelope: set max decay and use PEG amount to get a pitch you want. alternatively, turn 'Motion' on and record the incoming pitch, to a pattern, which you can save as a kind of 'scene preset'. have yet to run update to check this version out, so don't know if anything new there.

you can set up splits, but in the previous version, there was no way of having an offset when mapping all the way along the keyboard, other than using the pitch envelope as a 2nd pitch control. the main 'speed' is taken over for midi-note to pitch. (hope that's adequately explained..)
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
recommend using a midi keyboard initially so you can figure out how the pitch offset is affected. in the meantime, sacrifice the pitch envelope: set max decay and use PEG amount to get a pitch you want. alternatively, turn 'Motion' on and record the incoming pitch, to a pattern, which you can save as a kind of 'scene preset'. have yet to run update to check this version out, so don't know if anything new there.

you can set up splits, but in the previous version, there was no way of having an offset when mapping all the way along the keyboard, other than using the pitch envelope as a 2nd pitch control. the main 'speed' is taken over for midi-note to pitch. (hope that's adequately explained..)
Hey, thanks whatever17 setting the decay and PEG done the trick, sounds and works normal again, cheers. I'll need to mess about with the firmware more later on.

Your reference manual sounds like a plan. especially for people like me who are relatively new-ish to the scene and still learning about stuff.
Old 2 weeks ago
Ojd
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeboi View Post
Hey, thanks whatever17 setting the decay and PEG done the trick, sounds and works normal again, cheers. I'll need to mess about with the firmware more later on.

Your reference manual sounds like a plan. especially for people like me who are relatively new-ish to the scene and still learning about stuff.
You can select how you want each voice to be triggd. FUNC + Sample encoder you can select NtFlt and select what voice to affect. Then set tnu to t_u which means ignore notes as speed.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ojd View Post
You can select how you want each voice to be triggd. FUNC + Sample encoder you can select NtFlt and select what voice to affect. Then set tnu to t_u which means ignore notes as speed.
Thanks Ojd, I will try that later
Old 2 weeks ago
Ojd
Gear Head
I presume brfltr is a parameter that stops playback of a part every <value> ?
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear Hedd View Post
Check to see if it has a Realtek soundcard in it. If it does do a windows search for "DTS Audio Control"... Then go into that and turn off the enhancements inside that... They seemed to stick that sound card in a lot of modern era laptops and it made it so I couldnt upload into a Sample or FM unit... It worked with a Keys unit but would fail every time with Sample or FM... Once I found a guy talking about it I went and turned it off and its worked 100% of time ever since...
Realtek is exactly what it has.. but my ipad saved the day! Laptop is just junk work laptop anyway, dont care about it..
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I presume brfltr is a parameter that stops playback of a part every <value> ?
br00 — All 16 LEDs are lit, so the current part will play its pattern 16 times then repeat.

br01 — The current part will be muted for the first 16 steps, then will play 3 consecutive times (as indicated by the unlit and lit LEDs) then it will mute, then play 3 times, then mute ... etc.

br02-15 — Different mute/play patterns, as indicated by the LEDs

So brflt (Bar Filter) mutes playback of the current part in a musical way that you determine. Each part has its own bar filter setting.

This is an automated alternative to muting/unmuting parts yourself.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

forgot it had to be put in Update mode before sending the file... (Func + Play) i've forgotten how to use it...

here is *a very rough preliminary* i was starting for the beta4 to get an idea of what could be done by superimposing instructions on an image of the Sample.
(to start the ball rolling. let's have some suggestions. some of you are getting to grips with the new beta, more than me after a quick look at the new display -??..)
Attached Thumbnails
Volca (sample) firmware hack?-vsample_1a.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Hi guys,
Hereis a beta of an unofficial FW for the Volca Sample. It can be installed on any Sample, it is not locked to certain devices.
Brilliant! Just wanted to tell you that PROB & BrFL are game changer for me! Lovely!

Is there a realistic chance for VRND (velocity randomization 0%-100%) for humanizing the volume of steps? (Like hithats)?

Cheers, Andras
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Finally its here - sample select by CC! I don't really care about the other features, its all I needed.

Much obliged

You really oughta create a donate button somehow..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
This is indeed the correct way of handling this specific thing. You will need to do this for each voice and save it into every pattern though!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

CC50 should allow sample selection, right? But somehow it affects only the pitch of the sample. And only of that one assigned to part 1. But doesn't change the sample itself.

How do you tell the volca what part cc5 should be changing the sample?

my settings:
setting 9: "original MIDI" is off
setting 10: "sequencer MIDI" is on

Edit done... setting 9 needs to be "on" as well.
automate sample selection on one of midi tracks 1-10 and have the main beat running on channel 11.
blissful times

Many thanks for the hard work you put into it!!!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobe View Post
CC50 should allow sample selection, right? But somehow it affects only the pitch of the sample. And only of that one assigned to part 1. But doesn't change the sample itself.

How do you tell the volca what part cc5 should be changing the sample?
Channel 11 has a "crammed sequencer mapping" of all original CCs of all parts...
so CC50 means PART 0 (from 0-9, som part 1), LEVEL.
00 = level ch 0(+1), 01 = level ch 1(+1)
10 = pan ch 0(+1), 11 = pan ch 1(+1)
20 = sample start point ch 0(+1),
3x = sample length
4x = hi cut
5x = speed
6x = PEG int
7x = PEG att
8x = PEG dec
9x = amp attack
109 = amp decay ch 9(+1) etc...
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

BETA7 preview

Have a sneak peek of the somewhat refined BETA7:
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Holy crap this is awesome. Thank you Pajen. Wow.
I just got my VS a few weeks ago, and am loving it. I've only just DLed this new FW, so haven't tried it yet. Very excited. Some really cool features added here, some of which I don't really understand. (Bar filter?)
A few pages back you'd asked about ideas for song mode.
Well, removing the restriction of not being able to mute parts would be my personal #1 . Beyond that would be allowing knob tweaking. Those are the only two that come to mind.
Thank you so much!
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Hello everybody,just joined! Qq: As much as I like this thread and all the good ideas and a lot of OT stuff, wouldn't it make sense to have a dedicated thread for pajen's releases but foremost for a dedicated and reliable source for the documentation? It's super cumbersome to go through this thread and gather needed information. I think the fw deserves this and on top helps a lot of people to wrap their heads around the functionality. The fw is brilliant but not as straight forward as the original so having a single source for the docs would help a lot. Or did I miss smth and there is a page for this already...?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Amazing. Any chance you can link to info on how you are doing the development and/or a github repo of your source? I would love to give it a shot but don't know anything yet about how the firmware is structured.

Also, any chance this adds the ability to save off your patterns/songs from the unit for later restore?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitriolix View Post
Amazing. Any chance you can link to info on how you are doing the development and/or a github repo of your source? I would love to give it a shot but don't know anything yet about how the firmware is structured.

Also, any chance this adds the ability to save off your patterns/songs from the unit for later restore?
Not sharing any code. Sorry, but it's just a lot of documentation work for me. I have tried it before but this hobby is ultimately extremely boring.
I think I have posted earier in the thread about the fact that all Volcas have hidden Sysex MIDI commands to export/import patterns already built-in? Weird? Yes.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Thanks, pajen!!

Finally we can play melody and chords with our midi-controllers! Without having to buy cables from third parties, which cost half what our dear Volca. Now it is a super-volca thanks to you.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
here is *a very rough preliminary* i was starting for the beta4 to get an idea of what could be done by superimposing instructions on an image of the Sample.
(to start the ball rolling. let's have some suggestions. some of you are getting to grips with the new beta, more than me after a quick look at the new display -??..)
Here's my little contribution:

Additionally, I hope to post a users guide this weekend. It'll be my small gesture to repay Pajen for his great, free work. He has turned our Volca Sample into a new instrument!

EDIT: Pajen has announced that Beta 7 is coming soon, so I will wait until that has dropped to post the users guide.

Last edited by robotunes; 1 week ago at 09:53 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Guys, the thing here is that no one, ever, released such an improved firmware for a synth/sampler/module/drumachine... all for free!!!

Peter deserves a huge recognition for his work, despite he does not want it at all!!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

People should share some tracks they end up making with the new firmware. I'm in the middle of a move so can't do anything with it yet but once the move's done I'll whip out the two Volca samples and try and make a couple tracks with them alone.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotunes View Post
Here's my little contribution:

Additionally, I hope to post a users guide this weekend. It'll be my small gesture to repay Pajen for his great, free work. He has turned our Volca Sample into a new instrument!
Yes well there is a BETA 7 coming out soon that has a few refinements. Just a heads-up.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I agree - Pajen is the true synth savior!
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Have a sneak peek of the somewhat refined BETA7:
Ugh, Probability feature got more complicated/deep since beta6.
I hope'll be able to cope with it.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes well there is a BETA 7 coming out soon that has a few refinements. Just a heads-up.
I saw your video. Looking great. Can't wait for the Copy Part feature to make it easier to create polyphony.

I'll upload the user guide after BETA 7 comes out.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
going to be trying it today at last.

since you're thinking about another beta:
did you have any thoughts about centre pitch (Speed) offset, when creating splits? ie: if you set a kick drum where it would normally be, to the left, low notes, the incoming midi note# is so low you have to use the Pitch EG to correct.

remember finding other instances with other sounds, and thinking some kind of correction based on the beginning of a split would be nice (on/off ...). it's the kind of thing you have on samplers etc.

or would that require too much kbs?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search