The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Volca (sample) firmware hack?
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by pajen View Post
Hm I guess, but an issue is that this means you have to have something to send CC to begin with. It would be nice to have access to this even if you are just using the Sample itself.
Thanks for your suggestions!
Good point. I tend to think in terms of external control, since that's mostly how I'm using my Samples now.

It would be nice if you could set it per-voice. I'm not sure how hard it is to get in the knickers of button presses, but you could potentially apply my idea to the FUNC+STEP11 button press and make it a three-way setting on the Sample itself: ON/INFINITE/OFF. Ideally the LED would provide a different indication for INFINITE, like being dimmer or flashing fast or something. That might all be too complicated to change in the firmware though, I don't know.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

i've just been messing around with it: don't really know what the big deal is about looped decay length, it's pretty long if you retrigger each bar. i'd better run back and check just from k/b ...

i mean, in context, it's pretty good.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever17 View Post
i've just been messing around with it: don't really know what the big deal is about looped decay length, it's pretty long if you retrigger each bar. i'd better run back and check just from k/b ...

i mean, in context, it's pretty good.
It is pretty good in context, but it could use a little tweaking for more possibilities I guess.
I brought up the decay discussion mainly because I was thinking about how the Sample has so much potential as a drone machine with single cycle waveforms. Also being able to loop samples indefinitely can free the user from the internal sequencer for looser/more organic loops.
The fading loop is fine in most cases, but having a Global setting for it being infinite is a nice touch to help varying usage of the Sample.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

in that case 'sustain' would be the answer, were it possible.

? ... so: mode: if Loop = on, Note On = ...? Decay Time?

unless there's some kind of simple solution, may be better to focus on refining what's done so far, imo - rather than getting sidetracked with something that is near-impossible to achieve, given software envelopes etc.

- - - -

thought of this yesterday: i keep forgetting to set 'Motion' on
so then i record a pass, but have to go back and delete it, set Func+Motion, and do it again. not a big deal. 'Motion always on' mode ? but maybe that would end up being problematic too. (hey, it's great to be able to have midi pitch for every sound, i'm not complaining) (into the onboard sequencer, i mean)

any chance of having a mode where ONLY ch11 mode is enabled? still banging that drum. eg: being parsimonious about midi channels eg: for use on a single midi bus where you need all channels.
(for external sequencing only)

some options i thought of:
-Global enable for each of the modes
-maybe split the ch1-10 mode into eg: 2 groups, so you'd have 'ch1-5', 'ch6-10'

interested to hear what pajen thinks of the 'zones' idea. still haven't heard what he has to say about that. personally, am not too keen on repeating octaves of vel/non-vel all the way up the keyboard. i'm sure there are issues i haven't thought of with that... the ch11 voices can already be recorded to the onboard sequencer with pitches. but what happens if using only an external sequencer? i suppose you're actually sending CCs with the midi notes, so perhaps zones are not necessary, since every voice can already have that behaviour - er but no: it won't work like that, because they are mapped sequentially in repeating octaves, umm.. ?
eg: back to the zones idea.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

interesting thing about pajen's mod is that the Sample's sequencer now has a happy-accident element - the kind of thing that is appreciated with the sh101's sequencer, or external trigger sequencing:

once you've recorded the pitches, you can move the triggers, and maybe get lucky (most of the time). this is very cool. have to organise a kit with loads of short synth transients. currently just have a few onboard, Solid Bass, things like that. (i tried to upload a full kit but it wouldn't accept a <4mb zip :( )
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

@ pajen :

? what's the end plan for these firmwares ? wider release ?
( thinking about having a 2nd one ! )

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search