The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MS20 Mini has dead keys (less than 6 months out of box) Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

MS20 Mini has dead keys (less than 6 months out of box)

Hey guys,

Picked up in a mess 20 mini fairly recently, switched it on today to make some music and noticed 4 to 5 dead keys.

In my past experience with some other synths with membrane pads, dust was a contributing factor to the dead keys. Cracked her open and did a simple cleaning with high grade rubbing alcohol and qtips, something that worked wonders for my old D-50. Unfortunately no change at all. Things weren't really that dusty anyways, so I wasn't expecting much. I checked the connections and still haven't found anything obvious. I'll occasionally trigger it with my MPC, and so my next step is to see if those keys can be triggered externally – but still pretty bummed out. Any thoughts on what I should do or try next? May just call up Korg to see if they'll replace the unit. It's been 6 months and the thing has sat still as could be on my desk, so no major abuse to speak of.
Thanks in advance!
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntaxkid View Post
Picked up in a mess 20 mini
? your mini was in a mess when you got it ?
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by babylonpanic View Post
? your mini was in a mess when you got it ?
LOL. Was doing voice to text (broke my hand recently) and this is what I get. "An MS20 Mini" = "A Mess 20 Mini" sorry chaps
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Are they consecutive keys that aren't working, or random? Or every Nth key?

Every Nth or a consecutive group could mean a loose connection between the keyboard and the scanning board (or main board, or whatever the keyboard connects to). Did you check the connectors when you had it open?
Old 2 days ago
This one back to the shop for a brand new one that will last 40 years at least ... Mine i used a lot and not a single problem with it ; used live too outside the studio for gigs .

PEACE

MORDICUS
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatz View Post
Are they consecutive keys that aren't working, or random? Or every Nth key?

Every Nth or a consecutive group could mean a loose connection between the keyboard and the scanning board (or main board, or whatever the keyboard connects to). Did you check the connectors when you had it open?
Okay, yeah – it's fairly consistent but not entirely.

It's one dead (first C) then three notes up (E) is dead. 3 more up (g sharp) However, then it's 4 more until the next dead key (c sharp) then 3 more (F) is dead. Then 3 more, (a) is dead BUT then nothing else dead moving up. So, basically what you are describing is consistent, with the exception of the 4 note gap between Gsharp and Csharp, which breaks the pattern, and the upper keys after A, which seem unaffected. If you think this may still be indicative of a connection issue, I will definitely take a look, and thanks for reading and trying to diagnose over the net. Much appreciated
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

I would definitely send it back to Korg.
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight View Post
I would definitely send it back to Korg.
First time sending a synth back (usually it's vintage kit and nowhere to send it back to, haha) Does Korg play nice with returns, malfunctioning gear? Bought it from a 3rd party shop on eBay (new in box) but no clue on the warranty
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Seems to be mostly every 4th note, except for that one where it's the 5th... depending on how the keys are matrixed it seems to be fairly consistent so it could be a broken row or column wire that's causing it.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

walk back to the shop you got it from and exchange it, that is the next and only sensible move.

hey have a guarantee for a reason
Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search