The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nord Lead 1 vs Nord Lead 3. Facts, fictions and WTFs. Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
Yeah but he swapped it back to original eeprom after that. And it sounded right again.
The doesn't contradicts to the assumption that another Unison Detune value was chosen as default, tuning some parameters related to sound generation is not uncommon in digital products. I'm trying to find sane explanation Gently calling out @Synthpark.

P.S. Mostly phone posting these days, can't get back in timely fashion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentleclockdivid View Post
Here' the bugfix list for e-prom upgrade 1.06
Ah, I see, sorry for lame suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raffor View Post
And while the featureset was expanded, there was something with the sound that doesn’t seem to have the punch the NL2 had. This is all from memory, but I think it has something to do with the filter modes that got added.
Those filter modes are quite special, you can't just slap on your hot oscillator action and enjoy the results, they require some forward thinking about what and how to use appropriately.

One of those incidents can be heard here. Funny thing, actually I was sitting with pen and paper theorising about one particular 'variable width band pass filter' implementation on Waldorf Microwave XTk, when (as usual with Waldorf) said 'ahh, fnck it' and made this sound in possibly less than 10 minutes on NL3. Got nice patch template now.

Quote:
Having said that, I still have some NL3 copied sounds, I made with my XTk. I think I was focusing on the additional filter modes.
And since we both touched XTk, that I also have but keep unused in my hometown... I'm questioning myself whether I should spend time with NL4 at all, when this time can be invested in XTk. To me most interesting aspect of it are wavetables (sic!) anyway, so... I dunno really. Already pissed off at missing 'keyboard tracking' morph group from NL3 and lack of envelope mode for LFOs.

Last edited by Endorfinity; 2 days ago at 09:44 PM.. Reason: typos
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pppch View Post
By the way, no one here has annoyed about the crashes of the nl1 and nord modular g1, I had made the acquaintance with the brand new nl1 (os1.01) and woe too many parameters changed too fast, frozen...
at the g1, the pc connection always crashed, plus stand alone too
Nord modular editor crashing is most likely because your midi interface can't cope with the sysex data .
You can open the patches with a text editor , it sometimes helps to resave them .
I use the integra 7 as a midi interface and some patches won''t load in the editor ( they do load in the nord modular itself ) .

Now tell me , nord modular ( g1) crashing in standalone mode , what exactly do you mean ?
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentleclockdivid View Post
Nord modular editor crashing is most likely because your midi interface can't cope with the sysex data .
You can open the patches with a text editor , it sometimes helps to resave them .
I use the integra 7 as a midi interface and some patches won''t load in the editor ( they do load in the nord modular itself ) .

Now tell me , nord modular ( g1) crashing in standalone mode , what exactly do you mean ?
thanks for the info, but that was nl1 23 years ago g1 18 20 years ago.
I was more surprised if others were so damned then.
I suspect that the os updates have given as some relief, midi was by the way Unitor 8 sequencer pc logic
the g1 is just the normal twist on the regulators crashed, was the keyboard version.

have since then exactly one VA
untranova for 112 bucks that was also the reason for purchase
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
I dunno, the NL4 trumps them all (can I still use that verb???), and the NLA1 is superior in every way to the whole bunch! It has all the sound quality of the NL4 but more immediacy, like the NL1, without all the aliasing.
I also have the Lead A1 and the Lead 4r. Love the immediacy of the A1. My Lead 4r just isn't impressing me. It sounds so empty and expressionless.

I have narrowed the problem down to a blown (now missing) fuse. I don't know what fuse to buy. It has a Europe 240v sticker, and I switched the power supply to 120v, but I can't quite figure out what fuse to buy.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endorfinity View Post
Those filter modes are quite special, you can't just slap on your hot oscillator action and enjoy the results, they require some forward thinking about what and how to use appropriately.
You know, I don’t need much forward thinking when using filters. I have one with 15 modes and they don’t sound as dull as the NL3. It just didn’t sound right to me.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
If the NL3 sounds like the NL1/2/x can only be decided having both synths at hand. But it seems that many claim that you can come close, just that the NL3 offers more features.

I have a NL2 since it came out. Even I thought, I thought about selling many times, Everytime I tested the synth, I just could not let it go.

There are certain features that are unique for me:
The dual layer sound is great and actually it introduces some offsets, that makes the sound feel so alive. The drum mode is very useful, even everything comes over the stereo out only, the synth has nice envelopes, they are fast and pleasant. Last, but not least, the morphing function. Sure, you can do these things in a mod matrix, but this thing can be setup in seconds and gives the synth a lot of dynamics.

When the NL3 hit the floor, I was out and testing. And while the featureset was expanded, there was something with the sound that doesn’t seem to have the punch the NL2 had. This is all from memory, but I think it has something to do with the filter modes that got added. But even the LP, I didn’t find as pleasant as on the NL2. Granted, that is all from memory and all testing was done in the store. But it was enough for me to pass and up to this day, rave or hate, I am not tempted by the NL3
I found pretty much the same result with my NL2, but I'm interested to get a NL3 side-by-side with the 2 again.

Can anyone confirm or deny if the NL3 has 18bit dac's like in the NL2?
Old 21 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
By the way, no one here has annoyed about the crashes of the nl1 and nord modular g1, I had made the acquaintance with the brand new nl1 (os1.01) and woe too many parameters changed too fast, frozen...
at the g1, the pc connection always crashed, plus stand alone too
G1 uses almost 100% bandwidth of the midi interface. A lot of interfaces start dropping data when they are pushed too hard. With a good interface there is no problem.
And the editor still works on windows 10. That alone is a miracle.

The G1 also does not crash. At least not mine and it operated for thousands of hours.
I think i may have experienced one single crash in 20 years.
Old 21 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monomer View Post
And the editor still works on windows 10. That alone is a miracle.
Not really considering it's Windows, backwards compatibility is probably the best thing about Windows as far as I'm concerned. I have a number of 20+ years old programs that still work fine under W10 64-bit. The only exception are old 16-bit programs (i.e. editor for Korg X5D), which cannot be ran under 64-bit, but for this I run virtual Win XP and it's all good.
Old 21 hours ago
Lives for gear

possible it was a monday model, but the unitor8 was and is a good midi interface.
is also a long time ago, annoying after half a year, the synth was just in the corner as a dust catcher.
I still understand that with the nl1 scarce, the current owner is still annoyed with him around but the modular was just sick .. I then switched to reactor.
Old 21 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Not really considering it's Windows, backwards compatibility is probably the best thing about Windows as far as I'm concerned. I have a number of 20+ years old programs that still work fine under W10 64-bit. The only exception are old 16-bit programs (i.e. editor for Korg X5D), which cannot be ran under 64-bit, but for this I run virtual Win XP and it's all good.
Well, in general my experience is that all kinds of synth editors tend to stop working at some point for various reasons.
And even the G1 had some bumps for me on win7-64.
So i'm just glad it's still hanging in there.
Old 20 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
possible it was a monday model, but the unitor8 was and is a good midi interface.
is also a long time ago, annoying after half a year, the synth was just in the corner as a dust catcher.
I still understand that with the nl1 scarce, the current owner is still annoyed with him around but the modular was just sick .. I then switched to reactor.
In my experience Unitor (actually AMT8) was not the best for me. A simple m-audio midisport 2x2 worked perfectly.

In some ways it is better than reaktor. You work with more complete 'modules' and you don't have to deal with arranging the UI like in reaktor. This makes patching pretty fast.
Reaktor is much deeper and you kindof need a good plan before you start. Nord Modular is more zen-like and i can patch with my brain in zombie mode.

Also, i find the limit of the DSP a good thing. You always know how far you can go and it will always still work. No computer with 100% cpu.
Old 16 hours ago
Lives for gear

Don't know about Nl3 vs 2, but after owning the NL3 for a few years it shows its age especially in its filters which are quite behind what is available in other VAs today, the NL4 improved in this area a lot but it is a shame they cut back in everything else.

The NL3 has the best UI of all time, not only the LED rings are great but also how the modulation (for the physical sources) is assigned and shown as well as the implementation of the performance mode. Shame all that went away in NL4.
Old 16 hours ago
Here for the gear

I have a NORD LEAD 4 Even though i am POOR
Old 13 hours ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
You know, I don’t need much forward thinking when using filters. I have one with 15 modes and they don’t sound as dull as the NL3. It just didn’t sound right to me.
I personally do. To me filter is the tool for sound shaping, stopping point to the end result, not the result in itself. The good thing is that NL3 gives a lot of such tools, it's just some of them are general purpose, some are more specialized.

We may have different approach to sound creation and different taste, that's a good thing really

Quote:
Originally Posted by login View Post
Don't know about Nl3 vs 2, but after owning the NL3 for a few years it shows its age especially in its filters which are quite behind what is available in other VAs today, the NL4 improved in this area a lot but it is a shame they cut back in everything else.
Perhaps that's because they are new to me, but I'm quite enjoying LP48 mode and 'talk' FXs (more suitable for monophonic stuff tho).

Also, in NL4 it feels like they refined parameter smoothing algorithms when you turn the knobs. Feels more 'analogue' in this regard.

SPAM

Selling my Nord Lead 1 (12v, os 2.7, 120VAC, softcase) for 650$, PM if anybody interested. It's too aggressive sounding and it's grisly 18bit DAC scares my little doggo.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search