The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Roll call what are your computer specs for electronic music Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 11 hours ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn303 View Post
SSD's are not good for long-term storage, only day-to-day storage, and they are susceptible to damage just like HDD's, specifically temperature related. max lifespan of SSD's are two to three years tops! they are a good solution in the short-term, but not in the long-term.
This is so wrong on so many levels is not even funny.

Ssds are far more reliable than hdds specifically in extreme temperatures due to no moving parts, no vibrations and much lower power consumption. Ssd lifespan is mainly determined by the number of write cycles which even in extreme data center scenarios, failure rate is much lower than that of hdds. Only downside is obviously the cost.
Old 10 hours ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by battyroy View Post
This is so wrong on so many levels is not even funny.

Ssds are far more reliable than hdds specifically in extreme temperatures due to no moving parts, no vibrations and much lower power consumption. Ssd lifespan is mainly determined by the number of write cycles which even in extreme data center scenarios, failure rate is much lower than that of hdds. Only downside is obviously the cost.
ok! come back in 343 years from now (estimated) and then tell us when it fails.
Old 10 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by battyroy View Post
Ssds are far more reliable than hdds
Not true. SSD’s have advantages and disadvantages but they are not “far more reliable”. If they were why do you not see them in enterprise level server systems? Tell me how you would recover data from a fried SSD drive? With HHD’s data recovery can sometimes be performed by removing the disk platters and putting them into a functional reading device.
Old 9 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcabbage View Post
Tell me how you would recover data from a fried SSD drive?
Uhh... Replace the drive and reimage it from backup?
Old 9 hours ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Not true. SSD’s have advantages and disadvantages but they are not “far more reliable”. If they were why do you not see them in enterprise level server systems? Tell me how you would recover data from a fried SSD drive? With HHD’s data recovery can sometimes be performed by removing the disk platters and putting them into a functional reading device.
As I said before, cost. I’d replace my 12TB cluster of vibrating pieces of spinning crap in a heartbeat if I weren’t forced to pay a small fortune.

Quote:
Compared to an HDD, SSDs have higher data-transfer rates, higher areal storage density, better reliability, and much lower latency and access times.
Quote:
Overall, SSDs are considered far more durable than HDDs due to a lack of mechanical parts. The moving mechanisms within an HDD are susceptible to not only wear and tear over time, but to damage due to movement or forceful contact. If one were to drop a laptop with an HDD, there is a high likelihood that all those moving parts will collide, resulting in potential data loss and even destructive physical damage that could kill the HDD outright. SSDs have no moving parts so, while they hold the risk of a potentially shorter life span due to high use, they can survive the rigors we impose upon our portable devices and laptops.
HDD vs SSD: What Does the Future for Storage Hold?
Old 9 hours ago
Lives for gear

i7 4790k, 16 gb of ram, 950 gt, 256 ssd and 1 tb hd.

Runs smooth and can handle a lot.

Also: Fireface UC, solid drivers are key to good performance.
Old 9 hours ago
Lives for gear

So... the PC I'm currently using is literally over a decade old. At the time, I built it from scratch with the best possible parts, but at this point, it isn't capable of running full tracks. Even a couple of contemporary soft synths with a bit of polyphony (or sometimes even not!) and my CPU meter spikes, and everything starts stuttering

It's been so long since I've built an audio-specific PC, I honestly don't even know where to start! I'm pretty certain I'm done with having a gigantic tower chassis, so this time I'd really like to try a rackable chassis (made for servers I suppose?). Raw power is the priority, I don't care anything about graphics, but I do care a lot about SILENCE! Any suggestions?
Old 8 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntonica View Post
Uhh... Replace the drive and reimage it from backup?
So my point was on its own -head to head- say without a backup. Also backups are only good from the last date you backed up from. If your backups are nightly, taken from the night prior, and your drive takes a dive at the end of the day you loose a days worth of work. Better options are backup solutions like they implement at my work that take real time imaging of system/file changes which is quite a bit more elaborate and way out of the scope of this discussion.
Old 6 hours ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntonica View Post
This. And the prices for used cheese graters is awfully high, comparatively. Really, if you don't need the slots, go with something newer/cheaper/faster. Even the latest crop of 13" MacBook Pros is perking up my ears as they are finally enough faster than my current 2014 model (2.5x faster!) compared to the merely 25% faster of the previous version for me to consider upgrading.
as I said at the start not interested in anything portable or anything like an imac as I have a giant DELL monitor and keyboard n mouse, so it;s a studio computer that sits under my large bench, just needs to be powerful and the cheesegraters are perfect for this task imo, why just 5 to 6 years ago these things were 10k in Australia for the fully maxed out specs ones, now you can grab them for les than 1k.

I don't feel that computers need to be changed so regularly, they are actually designed to last a lot longer than we think, it's software that corrupts all this and our minds.
Old 5 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
now you can grab them for les than 1k.
Jeez. That’s $1k Australian?!? Go for it! They still run aground US$2k here.

I was just saying that the latest crop of Macs have made a huge jump in speed. Finally.
Old 4 hours ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nil hartman View Post
Super fast Hackintosh desktop running Sierra, dead-stable and fanless (so totally silent, lovely): quad-core i7-6700k CPU @ 4,01GHz, 8GB RAM, more than a TB of SSD across 3 drives, old but trustworthy Dell 22" monitor, SPL Crimson

I've just ordered a Razer Stealth 13,3" laptop that'll run Win10, to complement the hackintosh: quad-core i7-8550U (up to 3,8GHz), 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 3200*1800 touch screen. Should be fast enough to teach electronic music composition/production (new dayjob starting tomorrow), to play the occasional liveset and to sketch tracks. I would have loved an equally fast MBP, but damn these things are so expensive..
I think my next “Mac” will be a Hackintosh too. I’m currently using a Dell XPS something for music. It’s good, but for graphics I use a Mac Mini and word on the street is that newer models no longer let you upgrade things like the hard drive or RAM. Even so, I don’t need a tiny box. I want a Mac Pro, but I can’t justify the cost. I’ve got enough invested in Apple. They took their giant tax break and did a stock buy-back. So... yeah.
Old 4 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
So my point was on its own -head to head- say without a backup. Also backups are only good from the last date you backed up from. If your backups are nightly, taken from the night prior, and your drive takes a dive at the end of the day you loose a days worth of work. Better options are backup solutions like they implement at my work that take real time imaging of system/file changes which is quite a bit more elaborate and way out of the scope of this discussion.
Anyone without a backup these days deserves to lose what they lose.

And making a backup is not hard. Complete backup after any system/software updates. Otherwise, you only need to take a minute to backup the project you were working on.
Old 2 hours ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
I see them on enterprise servers all the time. They typically use enterprise grade SSDs that can handle the large number of writes produced by busy databases or similar workloads and in fact there is some software products that need it. At this point in time I now believe they are more reliable. And to answer your question you don’t build the system so you have to recover data from a single drive, you build redundency to the system as a whole - Masters with multiple Slaves, sometimes master-master, cold slaves, multiple data centers etc.. You throw away the broken drive/server.

Spinning drives are still used because of the cheap per TB or in the case of my customers cheap per-petabyte cost but they sometimes use SSD ”caching layers” in front, or tiered storage. I also see VMWare VSAN.

Anyway I feel like this is going off topic, I use a MacBook Pro i7 pretty much the top of the range before the last refresh and I would like a desktop because the fan noise drives me crazy. I am similarly not happy about Apple’s choices (Trash can is old, iMac Pro is so not Pro that I won’t pay the price for it, I heard rumours of a new Mac Mini but nothing released yet) so I am either going to go down the Hackintosh route or will wait for the 2019 releases.
Old 1 hour ago
Gear Guru

can someone answer me this..

If I did I full migration assist from my old mac to the new, would I still have to go and re download my DAW's like Ableton and Reason or would they just need the licences re entered..?

is it better, or the same,.. to migrate all my files etc using mac os migration assistant, or to use a hardware backup from and external drive using time machine..?
Old 1 hour ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
You can raid SSDs, at whatever level of redundancy one desires, just as you can do with HDDs. If you're talking reliability, just in terms of its construction, don't you think something with no moving parts is gonna be more reliable as opposed to something that has magnetic heads in physical contact with spinning platters going at ridiculous speeds?

The main reason I assume why you don't necessarily see them in server systems is probably due to lack of capacity and cost prohibitiveness, relative to HDDs.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search