The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Roll call what are your computer specs for electronic music Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 25th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
So you went for Mojave already, what DAW are you using and how was the transition with plug ins, audio interface drivers etc..?
It's brand new (as per the specs) - I'm only just loading new software (logic is my main DAW) and thought I'd try TNM's test to give me an idea (I upgraded to Mojave immediately - why not?). I'm just going through the process of loading all my old stuff on fresh. This time I'm not cloning and, having learned the lesson of having waaaay too many AU/VSTs over the years, I'm going to try being stripped down and efficient for a while (well, relatively - this is GS after all). One thing I will say - I have tested my old apogee duet with the FW400->800 to FW->thunderbolt to thunderbolt -> UBSc for the time-being because I just didn't want to waste such a good interface ... and as posted other GS threads, it works perfectly. It will probably be used for my old set up in due course, but I'm not having any problems with the whole USBC thing other than having to think about what works ... I even have an old Cinema Display working from 10 years ago by converter. This was stupidly expensive, but seems to be giving me results at least as good as the faster i7 and i9 MBPs, which is what I gambled on because it wouldn't have been that much more to get one of those ... IF ... you didn't take into account the heat issue which was such a big issue for my last MBP and the reason I have a fan cooled support (which can obviously be switched off). All good here right now.
Old 25th October 2018
Gear Guru

I think it's one of the GS's members most secretly practiced rituals,.. to strip back and start fresh after heavy gear/software accumulation. With a new OS like this one it's always going to be the best route so you can solved problems as they come up rather than try and chase down issues you may not see until some months later like you would with a cloned drive.
Old 25th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockorama View Post
I'm not sure if I can get through 225 pages to understand anything in that thread :(
Old 26th October 2018
Gear Guru

Installed Mojave on my mac book air just to have a look and play around and see how it feels, so far so good, love the dark mode/look.

*edit, Ableton live 10 and Reason 10 both work flawlessly in Mojave on my Macbook air.

I don't use any audio interface with this machine it's purely a web browser and mess about rig, mangle samples and synth loops etc.
Old 27th October 2018
Lives for gear

iMac 2014 4Ghz i7
24GB Ram
1GB fusion drive [128GB SSD]

Running OSX 10.12.6 and Cubase 9.5
Old 27th October 2018
Lives for gear

iMac 2014 4Ghz i7
24GB Ram
1GB fusion drive [128GB SSD]

Running OSX 10.12.6 and Cubase 9.5
Old 27th October 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaGary View Post
Okay, round-2.

I clicked on the SSE4.2 portion of the Intel link, and the letters AVX appear in the expansion.
FFS!
Just because the letters AVX appear when you click the question mark next to "Instruction Set Extensions" that explains what "Instruction Set Extensions" are and lists some examples does not mean that SSE 4.2 is AVX!

Quote:
What are you a fortune teller, how do you know what's coming out and when..?
It is called using your brain, old CPUs will not be supported forever and with the fact that any non AVX supporting CPU is now long in the tooth performance wise means that more and more software will not be written with the limitations of them in mind (like the lack of AVX)!

Quote:
I'm still using some software that came out 10 years ago, look at the synths in Reason they are more than 10 years old and still being used.
That is an non argument, running only old software does not mean it would last as a useful system for someone that does not want to only run old software (say, a normal user!)

Quote:
what are you talking about..? where are you getting these numbers from, more to the point why are you bothering..?
The benchmarks I linked to! (and any others I can find without trouble). I am bothering because you are misleading people.

Quote:
Who says I was bragging..? these are Australian dollars btw.
You are, and I very much know what the Aussie dollar is worth and a GTX770 is not worth even close to that amount (I sold the same type of card for $150 AUD a year and a half ago, and that was a good market price!).
Old 30th October 2018
Gear Guru

New mac mini specs just announced by Apple..

The all-new Mac mini is re-engineered in no small way. With new eighth-generation 6-core and quad-core processors, faster 2666MHz DDR4 memory, lightning-quick all-flash storage with up to a 2TB SSD, four Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports, HDMI 2.0, and available 10Gb Ethernet, this is the most powerful and versatile Mac mini yet.
Old 30th October 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NamesAreAPain View Post
The benchmarks I linked to! (and any others I can find without trouble). I am bothering because you are misleading people.
Where did I mislead anyone..?

seems to me all you want to do is come here and brag about how clever you are, all I did was discuss with a couple of forum members using old macs how to save a few bucks and get cracking making music.
Old 30th October 2018
Gear Guru

new mac mini specs start at 3:11
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Hey guys just wanted come back and share an update. Fiddle not having a go at you as you only tried to help. But that computer I purchased turned out to be a dud and problems then its worth. It sounded like the wind in a heavy typhoon when Diva was working hard and I could barely run 2 instances of chords on Divine.

Lucky for me I had 60 days to send it back.

So I needed something quick as I sold my old Cheese Grater.

Anyway I did as I always did and purchased a new Mac. I got myself a MacBook Pro 15inch 2.6 GHz I7 and 30GB Ram with 500 Gig SSD.
Now we are smoking rolling baby...

I was working on a project yesterday with more then 60 tracks and it was flying, I was running 6 instances of Diva in Divine and 4 Omnisphere.
I can only say this is so much of a better investment. I can take it with me when not in the studio and its just a kick ass machine. Last me a good 5 years for sure.

I am sharing this incase it can it help anyone else. I will never go old Mac again, first and last time.
Happy New Year.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneytune View Post
Anyway I did as I always did and purchased a new Mac. I got myself a MacBook Pro 15inch 2.6 GHz I7 and 30GB Ram with 500 Gig SSD.
Now we are smoking rolling baby...
At about 6x the price! I wish I had the scratch for a new Mac.

But congrats on the new Book. You should get a good 6-7 years or more out of it as long as you don't go plug wild and buy every CPU hog that comes along. I'm still debating updating to Mojave. I have 250+GB that has to be cloned for backup if I have to revert. Time to do the Mojave research and see if it has any benefits.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

yeah well the cheesegrater fix was just that, a fix really, mine is absolutely fine, it's only a 3.33ghz x 6 core, can run anything I want. I was looking at the 2018 macbook pro's the other day and the one I'd want for audio n video is the 15 inch 2.6GHz 6-core i7 processor, the 13inch are ok but for audio I like some real screen space to look at 13" are just too cramped for my eyes, but fmd these 15" macbook pros are $4000, my cheesegrater fix came in under a grand. If I come across a large chunk of cash at some point I might buy a macbook pro but for now they are just way way to pricey for me..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntonica View Post
At about 6x the price! I wish I had the scratch for a new Mac.

But congrats on the new Book. You should get a good 6-7 years or more out of it as long as you don't go plug wild and buy every CPU hog that comes along. I'm still debating updating to Mojave. I have 250+GB that has to be cloned for backup if I have to revert. Time to do the Mojave research and see if it has any benefits.
It is costly but in my experience a new Mac with the right specs has never let me down.
I’m running Mojave and most stuff works, some software has given me issues.

Ma I’m not plug-in crazy, a few softynths and rest is outside the box.

It’s good though because if I am out of the studio this thing has got some awesome power if I decide to work just ITB.
You I am very happy with the purchase.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
yeah well the cheesegrater fix was just that, a fix really, mine is absolutely fine, it's only a 3.33ghz x 6 core, can run anything I want. I was looking at the 2018 macbook pro's the other day and the one I'd want for audio n video is the 15 inch 2.6GHz 6-core i7 processor, the 13inch are ok but for audio I like some real screen space to look at 13" are just too cramped for my eyes, but fmd these 15" macbook pros are $4000, my cheesegrater fix came in under a grand. If I come across a large chunk of cash at some point I might buy a macbook pro but for now they are just way way to pricey for me..
Agree man, my investment was $4700 and that is not cheap.

But hell its super slick and if you think about it, it will last a good 6 years and over the long run worth the money for something I use daily and rely on.

Last edited by Looneytune; 1 week ago at 01:49 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search