The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Prophet 08 considerations Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head

Prophet 08 considerations

I am selling my Roland FA-08 Workstation, and a guy on craigslist offered a trade for a Prophet 08 in nice condition. I have never owned an analog poly before, so I have been looking up reviews. Most of which are very mixed.

Just wondering if any owners/previous owners can comment on how well the Prophet stands these days. Do you think it will hold its value in the future? Sound quality (especially bass)?? How heavy is it, would you gig with it?

Also, I am somewhat new to synthesis (well, more like very out of practice), would you say the Prophet is pretty user-friendly as far as re-learning synthesis goes?

thanks!
Old 3 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor View Post
I am selling my Roland FA-08 Workstation, and a guy on craigslist offered a trade for a Prophet 08 in nice condition. I have never owned an analog poly before, so I have been looking up reviews. Most of which are very mixed.

Just wondering if any owners/previous owners can comment on how well the Prophet stands these days. Do you think it will hold its value in the future? Sound quality (especially bass)?? How heavy is it, would you gig with it?

Also, I am somewhat new to synthesis (well, more like very out of practice), would you say the Prophet is pretty user-friendly as far as re-learning synthesis goes?

thanks!
I’d not do that deal. One quick look at second hand value of those pieces of gear, and thats not a good deal for you. I’d trade an FA-08 for a Rev2, THAT would be a fair trade.

Not saying that I’d rather have the FA-08 over the P08, not at all, but they are not conparable in value. The problem for 08 owners is that the Rev2 came out and it has more features, a much improved interface, and costs far less than the 08 did on release. Therefore the P08 second hand value is only going to decrease over time. He’s trying to dump it before the value drops even more.

The 08 is very gig worthy, and probably the most common analog poly you’ll see on stage.

If you want an analog poly, I’d either trade for a higher value poly, or sell it and buy something.

Having use the P08 and now own a Rev2, its a much improved model. The oscillators alone, which now have shape modulation of every waveform, adds a ton of new sound design options. The mod matrix has doubled in size. The keyboard on the Rev2 is superior. Most important, the UI is night and day. The Rev2 is the most well designed complex poly I’ve ever used. Its very easy to navigate and program. I only ever needed to look at the manual a time or two.

The 08 is still a very good synth. Some people really hate the bright sound of the curtis chip based synth. I see it as an asset, really. I mean, just close the filter more, or eq the damn thing. Its not that hard. Its easy to make a patch darker, but adding brightness is not as doable.

So, its a no from me, on that particular deal.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head

Thank you for that!

I will pass on the deal
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor View Post
I will pass on the deal
You could alternatively counter offer for the P08 + $XXX?

The P08 is an incredible synth.

Old 3 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post
You could alternatively counter offer for the P08 + $XXX?

The P08 is an incredible synth.

Yeah, I actually already told the seller that I would need some dough as well if we were to trade. I was also thinking if he had any great fx pedals to go along it could be worth it...
Old 3 days ago
Gear Guru

I love the Prophet 08 (though I use it’s cousin, the Tetra and polychain two of them). People complain about it because they want it to sound like a Prophet 5. It does not. It’s also not a giant “sweet spot” synth, but once you get to know it, it’s easy to coax great warm sounds, screaming leads, giant basses. It doesn’t have a sub osc, but it’s bitimbral, so you can make giant bass sounds that way with 4 voice unison.

Make sure he’s selling you the PE edition. The first edition had wonky encoders which would die very fast. I didn’t care that much, as I mostly used a software editor anyway, but if you want something knobby and fun, get the PE edition.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search