The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Drum Machines without sequencers Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 16th September 2018
Don't forget those old analogue drum synths, like Simmons SDS series, Tama Techstar series, Pearl Drum-X and SC-40. Lots of other, rather obscure brands out there (Firstline, MPC etc.).
They mostly sound amazing, but the really old ones need to be triggered with pads or a MIDI-to-Trigger-interface. I bought one (no-name, obviously homebrew) from Ebay years ago, and it even transmits velocity via its eight trigger outputs (a magic that seems to be completely lost with modern trigger thingies - but who needs velocity with percussive sounds anyway, when endless clickity-clicking is all the rage...)!

Cheers,
Bert
Old 16th September 2018
Gear Maniac

Moog DFAM is interesting if you're looking for a quirky drum synth (yes it has a basic sequencer), as others mention you already have great stuff
Old 16th September 2018
Thanks everybody - I quite fancy the Nord Drum 2 now

Anybody got one to sell?

The Drum 2 actually looks better than the Drum 3
Old 16th September 2018
Gear Addict

If you have a Mac check out Drumspillage by audio spillage.

I've got a DRM-1 Mk 11, an AiR Base 99, an Mbase 11, a Kawai XD-5, an A5000 sampler, and an Emax.

I'm reporting Zerocrossing for failing to recommend at least a cirklon + drum mux + full modular setup.

Last edited by Notron Fan; 16th September 2018 at 03:03 PM.. Reason: Clarity
Old 16th September 2018
Gear Guru

With the mentioning of Jomox I didn't see the Jomox MBrane 11, MBase 01 and MBase 11, so here.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

I'm looking for a drum module that I would sequence with a Cirklon and I'm leaning towards the Yamaha RM50.
Question (may be stupid for you as experts):
- under each key there is a drum sound built by 2 voices which are themselves based on samples
- the RM50 is reacting on velocity (from the Midi chart)
How is this velocity "translated" to the reading of the drum sound? Is it louder and less loud?

In other words, with an external sequencer and a nice module as the RM50, can I build something a bit expressive and not sounding as a machine gun?

The question arose when looking at the TR8s that has this accent setting by step but handle only 2 velocity layers by the white tap button (if I'm not wrong).
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

While I'm not an owner of the RM50, the manual can be had here: http://www.deepsonic.ch/deep/docs_ma...nual_part1.pdf

On page 32 (41 out of 55 pages in the PDF file itself), it mentions "element sensitivity". It seems to me that this routes velocity to anything. Options listed are Level, Pitch, EG, filter and modulation. The + sign in front hopefully indicates that this can be inverted as well - i.e. more velocity results in a lower pitch.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
While I'm not an owner of the RM50, the manual can be had here: http://www.deepsonic.ch/deep/docs_ma...nual_part1.pdf

On page 32 (41 out of 55 pages in the PDF file itself), it mentions "element sensitivity". It seems to me that this routes velocity to anything. Options listed are Level, Pitch, EG, filter and modulation. The + sign in front hopefully indicates that this can be inverted as well - i.e. more velocity results in a lower pitch.
Thx Yoozer

I have actually read (probably too quickly) the complete manual (the 3 parts) but indeed without trying on the machine itself it is a bit difficult to understand everything.
After posting on GS yesterday I also read about Velocity curve but in fact I didn't see this Element sensitivity parameter.
Yep, both parameters are probably allowing to influence the sample which is in each element (and we have 2 elements/samples by voice with 1 or 2 voices by sound). They are even more described in part 2 of the manual (p78 and 80)

Now the question is how far this technique (velocity sensitivity on parameters) is different than the current technique of using multi-layered samples.
The RM50 is from 1992-95 and was considered at that time to be a professional instrument so it can't be that bad
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodweather View Post
Now the question is how far this technique (velocity sensitivity on parameters) is different than the current technique of using multi-layered samples.
The RM50 is from 1992-95 and was considered at that time to be a professional instrument so it can't be that bad
One thing has become sort of obvious to me and that is in order to maximize profitability, technology is repackaged. In this case, that would make the RM50 an SY-(55?)-series descendant; all memory dedicated to percussion, but stripped-down controls. The fact that the cards of the SY series are compatible is pretty telling. A full-sized SY would have more steps than 8 or 16, however.

While the RM50 might be professional, the SY55 it's compatible with is a cut-down version of the SY85 (kind of like how you can have a Motif and MOX).

I think your main consideration is whether you're going to enjoy the sounds. If you're looking for straight 808/909 stuff, it might not have this as sample choice has a tendency to be behind trends, and while in 1992 dance was getting more popular, there's also the lead time needed to develop the product. The machinegun effect is usually solved with round-robin sampling, and that's a feature that's only present on more modern units - it effectively multiplies the memory consumption of a sample.

An Alesis SampleRack may also be an option for you. It would load straight .wav files and I don't know whether it has any exciting synthesis options, but it's compact, cheap and wouldn't restrict you. Since I don't own that, I can't vouch for the quality though.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

AVP Mad 5 analog drum module

AVP Synthesizers | MAD-5 mk2
Old 1 day ago
Gear Nut

Got my Yamaha RM50 with Dance and Soul card and an MCD64 memory card for 180 EUR.
Great sounding machine and easy to use.
Should this not be enough I can buy the 512kB expansion internal memory card to be able to load my own samples.

Now waiting for the Cirklon (soon...)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search