The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Syncing Behringer Model D to a drum machine! Sequencers (HW)
Old 15th September 2018
Here for the gear

Syncing Behringer Model D to a drum machine!

Hi, I am thinking of making a old school setup together with my Model D syncing it to a drum machine. Easiest way possible (reduce the cable amount).

Something like this:

TR-8s Trigger Out > Behringer Gate input

The problem with most drum machines is that they dont have CV Out so I cannot control the Pitch/Octave and the Filter on the Behringer. I could buy a Beatstep Pro for both Gate and Pitch control, but then I need to spend 200 USD more. I could also buy CV.OCD only and do everything within my DAW, it is the cheapest option. The TR-8s is within my budget.

What kind of setup do you have and what would you recommend?
Old 15th September 2018
Lives for gear

I can recommend a Keystep for the Model D. Then trigger out of TR-8s to sync input of keystep. Keystep CV/gate/mod to Model D.

Its exactly like SH-101 triggered from a TR808 in this video.

YouTube
Old 15th September 2018
Lives for gear

FYI, the individual outs on the TR-8S are DC-coupled, meaning that with the right software they can be used to send CVs from your DAW.
Old 15th September 2018
Here for the gear

Thanks guys!

Thats an interesting way to do it, using a keystep in sync with the TR8-S. It would have been nice if the Keystep had some more CV/Gate/Mod outs but its good value for money as it is.

Another direction as mentioned in the last post can be TR-8S>Model D, here is an example with TR-303:

Sonic LAB Presentation - Roland TR-8S Rhythm Performer

This example is with trigger only (melody stored in the 303). If Roland release a software update so the trigger outs can be used as CV/Gate/Mod outputs would have been exellent
Old 15th September 2018
I second the motion for a Keystep. It's a great "swiss army knife" piece to have around for this kind of thing and seems like it would pair well with the Neutron. You could always add a Korg SQ1 if you wanted more time-synced CV output and wanted to avoid PC-based solutions.
Old 16th September 2018
Here for the gear

I will look into the SQ-1 - I am planning a hybrid setup so my DAW will be involved also.

Is it possible to split a gate/trigger signal into two outputs? Or will this cause jitter, delay or not work at all? That can be useful if I want to trigger two envelopes at the same time.

Cheers

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search