The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Chorus pedal that can handle synth output Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head

Chorus pedal that can handle synth output

I’ve noticed a lot of the analog pedals brown out in a bad way with a hot analog synth input. Last time I used a EH Memoryman it crapped out at very low input levels.

I know Moog used to make chorus pedals but they apparently discontinued them.

What are good options today?

What analog pedals have hi-impedance high headroom?

I have a couple of Strymons (Deco Snd Capistan) but I’m looking for an analog chorus.

Thanks folks!
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head

I'm using an MXR Stereo Chorus sometimes. Works really well with a Matrix 1000, for example.
Old 4 days ago
You can get a passive reamp and NEVER have this problem again for the rest of life, or just severely limit the pedals you can use with your synths, its your choice.

There are countless amazing analog modulation pedals, but many will likely struggle with a hot signal, especially synth bass. I couldn’t tell you which will/won’t, as I reamp. So just get something to reamp, and then the world of analog chorus is your oyster.
Old 4 days ago
It's not analogue, but I've gotten incredible results with the TC Electronic Corona Chorus, works equally well with high impedance and line level signals.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

I agree with money spent on a passive re-amp to open yourself up to more pedal choices. Nothing like an impedence mismatch to ruin your day.

Now this is a kind of 'out there' suggestion, but by far the best (and heaviest) chorus 'pedal' I've ever used is this little beastie right here:

The Yamaha RA-50.

(And yes, a rotating horn counts in my book as analog. After all, electronic chorus pedals were invented to approximate this sound in the first place)
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

MoogerFooger ClusterFlux
MiniFooger Chorus
ZVex LoFi Junky
Old 4 days ago
Old 4 days ago
Old 1 day ago
Gear Head

Thanks for all of the replies.

The Boomstars I am going to use it through are (incredibly) high impedance output. They will work with guitar pedals. It seems many pedal designers don’t bother to to reveal the specifications, which makes this process tedious.

Sadly, the Minifooger Chorus is no longer in production. I’d have to hunt for a used one. Again, tedious.

The reamp pieces can sort of work. They generally accept +4 balanced line inputs. It’s a lot of hit and miss until you land on the right one. It’s the 7-10 times the impedance output to input ratio that you’re looking for.

Synths are at a weird impedance and level and there generally isn’t a standard. I guess about 1500-2500 ohms.

So a 1/2 or 1 mega-ohm input is good but then there is the headroom issue which a reamp or A-designs Addy could help with. Orchid Electronics makes a reamper too. It’s just the “what level and impedance is the input on this reamp device looking for?” question.

I think I might try the Electro Harmonix Polychorus.

I like my Strymons a lot. I’m just looking for LUSH.

I might need two now though. I think I need just one more Boomstar: 8106.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search