The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Oto Bam worth it ? Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 12th September 2018
Gear Addict

Oto Bam worth it ?

Well, im seriously considering the Bam because i dont have any good reverb for my synths when playing live.

Im looking for something dark, warm and vintage sounding and i really like what i've heard from the demo.

Any other suggestion ?

Thanks.
Old 12th September 2018
Gear Head

worth it
Old 12th September 2018
Lives for gear

Totally worth it imo. I enjoy it's sound quite a bit and having immediate controls on it is fun and quick.
Old 12th September 2018
Lives for gear

Out of all the reverb pedals I have or have had, Bam is the best. Following very closely behind is the Vermona Retroverb Lancet, though.
Old 12th September 2018
Lives for gear

OTO can do no wrong
Old 12th September 2018
Lives for gear

I now have BIM, BAM and BOUM. All fantastic boxes - for bread & butter or more creative uses.
Old 12th September 2018
It is worth it.

I have the Biscuit, Bim and Bam, and i will never sell any of them.
Old 12th September 2018
BAM here ; dig it ... looking to add more from OTO

PEACE

MORDICUS
Old 12th September 2018
Gear Maniac

Totally worth it.
Old 12th September 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovietpop View Post
Im looking for something dark, warm and vintage sounding
Yes, yes and yes.

I really like how it provides a sense of space, it makes the sound 3D. It's what I've been missing from software reverbs I've used, except maybe some convolution stuff. The Room algo works wonders for adding ambiance to drums, and I also use plate a lot. The freeze function is great for live. The sound is a bit dark (though you can control the "darkness") and vintage, but it sounds high quality. The only negative point for me is that maybe reverb algos sound a bit "samey". Also got BIM recently and I love it as well, quality stuff.

Would also like to try Eventide Space and Strymon Blue in person. From the demos I've heard they seem a bit more versatile, but also more like an added effect, whereas with BAM I hear more "space", if that makes sense.
Old 12th September 2018
Lives for gear

Way overpriced, but sounds good.
Old 12th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtROBOT View Post
Really? Comparable to eventide, but built by a one man company and made like little tanks
Old 13th September 2018
Lives for gear

Not to mention the analog circuitry for it. The BAM reverb has two analog filters, a diode overdrive, an analog processing circuit to soften the transients like a transformer would, and it has that in true stereo.

Whereas every other reverb pedal is just a digital processor with converters at either end.

You get what you pay for. Buy it nice or buy it twice
Old 13th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairbow View Post
Not to mention the analog circuitry for it. The BAM reverb has two analog filters, a diode overdrive, an analog processing circuit to soften the transients like a transformer would, and it has that in true stereo.

Whereas every other reverb pedal is just a digital processor with converters at either end.

You get what you pay for. Buy it nice or buy it twice
I just don't think it sounds 500 dollars or so better than what I can get ITB atm. Plus the convenience factor. Not at all disrespecting anyone who loves it, it sounds good no doubt. I personally am totally content with ITB delays and verbs atm, they're frankly getting incredible.
Old 13th September 2018
Gear Addict
Been curious about the BAM since it was first announced, but mainly interested in it for use with guitar and simply haven't read any feedback from any guitarists, so I'm a bit apprehensive. Of course I'm aware it wasn't made for guitar (no instrument level and no footswitch), but it's an easy workaround to get it running with a six string. I'm very intrigued by the descriptions of its sonic character (dark, organic, etc.), which are all things I'm looking for in a reverb, so I might just bite the bullet soon and be a pioneer lol.
Old 13th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I just don't think it sounds 500 dollars or so better than what I can get ITB atm. Plus the convenience factor. Not at all disrespecting anyone who loves it, it sounds good no doubt. I personally am totally content with ITB delays and verbs atm, they're frankly getting incredible.
Unclear why you would wade into this thread given the above.
Old 13th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModularOverkill View Post
Unclear why you would wade into this thread given the above.
Plz refer to the title of the thread.
Old 13th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty.west View Post
Been curious about the BAM since it was first announced, but mainly interested in it for use with guitar and simply haven't read any feedback from any guitarists, so I'm a bit apprehensive. Of course I'm aware it wasn't made for guitar (no instrument level and no footswitch), but it's an easy workaround to get it running with a six string. I'm very intrigued by the descriptions of its sonic character (dark, organic, etc.), which are all things I'm looking for in a reverb, so I might just bite the bullet soon and be a pioneer lol.
I would get one for studio mixing, but not for live guitar/pedalboard. It really does not work well with instrument level. The only way I would have you consider one is if your guitar amp has a line level FX loop.
Old 13th September 2018
Quote:
I agree...seems like a lot, but it is very boutique-ish. Analog filters and drive on a reverb.....not really adding much for me. On a delay? Sweet!

There are just so many really good HW reverbs now. Too many, that 7 algos for $599, and not the greatest interface, is nothing to overlook.

Definitely a high quality product though.
Old 13th September 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairbow View Post
I would get one for studio mixing, but not for live guitar/pedalboard. It really does not work well with instrument level. The only way I would have you consider one is if your guitar amp has a line level FX loop.
agreed. tho this route also can has downsides. for example, you cannot drive the preamp section too much for additional colour, as this might overload BAMs input.

one workarround, is to follow pedals/guitar with a transparent boost/buffer like the MXR Line Driver, and then go to BAM line in. i use it at 18V, for all sorts of studio problem solving, when pedals and/or passive instruments are involved.

imo it would be more useful if Bam had switches for line/instrument level and a bypass switch with option for true or trails mode.
Old 14th September 2018
Gear Addict

Thanks for the feedback !
I might be able to get one second hand cause i cant afford to pay full price for the BAM in Canada.

There is also the Meris Mercury 7 that seems to to be a good candidate for vintage flavor reverb.
Any experience with the Meris Mercury 7 ?

Too bad valhalla DSP doesnt make pedal , i really like the Vintage verb.
Old 14th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I might be able to get one second hand cause i cant afford to pay full price for the BAM in Canada.

There is also the Meris Mercury 7 that seems to to be a good candidate for vintage flavor reverb.

I have both. The mercury 7 is for ethereal stuff with full on pitch shifting shimmer, but it can subtle as well. The bam has way more vintage flexibility. The mercury works better with guitar.
Old 14th September 2018
Quote:

I'm a big fan of the M7. If you're looking for a space that sounds unreal, huge, and somewhat cold it's a great choice! I use it on a lot of synths and percussion hits.

The BAM would indeed be much more flexible and vintage if that's what you're going for.
Old 14th September 2018
Lives for gear

A Bam is about the same price as a used PCM 90. If one doesn't require a pedal, would a Bam still be a better choice? I hear Lexicons are difficult to repair if they go south.
Old 14th September 2018
Gear Addict

Ok, So im getting the Bam this Sunday
I will leave my impressions after.
Old 14th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xZenx View Post
I'm a big fan of the M7. If you're looking for a space that sounds unreal, huge, and somewhat cold it's a great choice! I use it on a lot of synths and percussion hits.

The BAM would indeed be much more flexible and vintage if that's what you're going for.
Are you talking about the Bricasti? Can you define what you mean by cold?

Not sure the M7 sounds cold! Lush perhaps
Old 14th September 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneytune View Post
Are you talking about the Bricasti? Can you define what you mean by cold?

Not sure the M7 sounds cold! Lush perhaps
Yeah sure thing! I mean it sounds very cold in a digital way. I would define the Strymon Big Sky as a much more musical and warm sounding reverb in the way that the frequencies in the reverb tails play off of each other.

While with the M7 you get a colder more digital space in regards to the frequencies in the tail. It obviously wasn't designed (being based off the Lexicon 224) to sound like a real space but it does sound otherworldly/unnaturally huge and lush.

Even running my Moog's through it the space sounds incredible but what I would regard as cold for how the frequencies in the tail play off of each other. It really makes everything you send from it sound like it's coming from another world, like not from an organic, warm, earthy cave or church... it sounds cold like it's from outer space.

Hope this helps! Listen to a few back to back demos of the M7 compared to the Strymon Big Sky to see what I'm getting at.
Old 14th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah sure thing! I mean it sounds very cold in a digital way. I would define the Strymon Big Sky as a much more musical and warm sounding reverb in the way that the frequencies in the reverb tails play off of each other.

While with the M7 you get a colder more digital space in regards to the frequencies in the tail. It obviously wasn't designed (being based off the Lexicon 224) to sound like a real space but it does sound otherworldly/unnaturally huge and lush.

Even running my Moog's through it the space sounds incredible but what I would regard as cold for how the frequencies in the tail play off of each other. It really makes everything you send from it sound like it's coming from another world, like not from an organic, warm, earthy cave or church... it sounds cold like it's from outer space.

Hope this helps! Listen to a few back to back demos of the M7 compared to the Strymon Big Sky to see what I'm getting at.
Interesting. I own the Big sky so can try compare!
I love the M7 it is a truly amazing unit!

I will pay closer attention to it’s sounds tomorrow, it does sound huge however I don’t liken it to the word cold

I purchased the Eventide Reverb 2016 today so really eager to get that baby home.

This Oto bam looks fantastic, tempted to buy it but I seriously don’t need anymore reverb or gear for that matter.

I really need to go back to staying of this forum.

Enjoy your M7 brother, amazing verb.
Old 14th September 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneytune View Post
Interesting. I own the Big sky so can try compare!
I love the M7 it is a truly amazing unit!

I will pay closer attention to it’s sounds tomorrow, it does sound huge however I don’t liken it to the word cold

I purchased the Eventide Reverb 2016 today so really eager to get that baby home.

This Oto bam looks fantastic, tempted to buy it but I seriously don’t need anymore reverb or gear for that matter.

I really need to go back to staying of this forum.

Enjoy your M7 brother, amazing verb.
Haha for sure! Thanks you too bruv!

I'm interested to hear your impressions after you compare them since our descriptions are different.

Regardless the M7 is definitely an amazing verb! BAM seems like an excellent choice for the OP
Old 14th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Haha for sure! Thanks you too bruv!

I'm interested to hear your impressions after you compare them since our descriptions are different.

Regardless the M7 is definitely an amazing verb! BAM seems like an excellent choice for the OP
Yeah never made direct comparisons except I know they sound very different!
I dig the Big Sky. Laters
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search