The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Beyond the Turntable: How Tech is Changing DJing Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Beyond the Turntable: How Tech is Changing DJing

What do you think about the whole technical development in DJ gear?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Most dj´s still suck, so.. Yeah, it´s not the gear that makes the dj. Most of them can´t even beatmatch properly!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Call me a dinosaur but I will stay with my gold 1200's, I started with Gemini belt drive in about 92 and learned my trade the hard way, I moved to 1200's after about 6 months and got my gold beauties in 98. I have two mixers, one Stanton (had it 15 years maybe) and a technics sh-Ex1200 which I have had for 19 years and I am now repairing and restoring, this setup is more than capable gear for those of us that like to do it old school.

edit:i should caveat the above as i am not against increasing power in a set: for many years i have carried and used an su10 alongside the turntables on the line in, i like to use the OT as a demo song player, processor and looper/sampler at times but not all the time - way too expensive to take to some of the filthy places i play

The future will be crazy and I witnessed the birth of all the digital side and have watched it grow from that MP3 playing piece of vinyl to the crazy stuff that exists now, it's very cool and I enjoy playing on my mates traktor and pioneer CD setup but it's not for me. Obviously some of the advantages are huge especially the whole USB pen drive thing but no ta.
Attached Thumbnails
Beyond the Turntable: How Tech is Changing DJing-image.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

i'm not sure why its nearly 20 minutes long ... could've been mixed down to 3 , with a few fancy fx thrown in.
i've been at a few of those djs' sets , one in particular was so dull , I couldn't believe it ... such a long history in doing music , genuinely would avoid .
but at least he was doing it , i was just a bloke in the crowd expecting more.
i'm not bothered about the tech they use , i primarily go to listen to the music , assume it'll be in time / key / tempo / mixed well .
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by defdaft View Post
Most of them can´t even beatmatch properly!
That's strange. All digital DJ software will happily beatmatch for you, which elevates it from a skill you needed to master to the lowest expectation. Or do you mean that they match but fail to account for bars and measures or the 4/8/16 thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
Call me a dinosaur but I will stay with my gold 1200's
Wouldn't dare - the people doing everything on their smartphone will probably call anyone a dinosaur who still drags an entire laptop to a gig
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
That's strange. All digital DJ software will happily beatmatch for you, which elevates it from a skill you needed to master to the lowest expectation. Or do you mean that they match but fail to account for bars and measures or the 4/8/16 thing?
Actually both, if they let the hard/software match tracks for you it doesn´t count imo, they haven´t truly got the full skill set for a DJ. I realize that the type of old-school beat matching i´m referring to might be redundant today however; i´m an old technics 1200 geezer myself so it´s just my opinion.
Still, i think it´s hilarious that dj´s still manage to f*ck up mixsets even with all their technical stuff, but that proves a ppoint, the entry level is way too low both for dj-ing and music making.

Oh well, i´m just old i guess.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

If Hawtin put as much effort into finding good music as he does reinventing his rig every three years then he'd be a much better DJ.

It's just sonic wall paper for people who don't know better and don't care.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

i saw hawtin at sonar a few years ago , lots of nice lights , sounded crisp and clear , many people seemed to be enjoying it.
i was bored. , sparse 303 blips / slides and 4/4 909 beats. jon hopkins was much more interesting imo.
i did like his early warp released stuff and anyone whos been doing it so long and developing his own audience / style deserves some respect i guess , especially as someone who actually finishes and releases tracks (which i havent done yet)
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by defdaft View Post
Actually both, if they let the hard/software match tracks for you it doesn´t count imo, they haven´t truly got the full skill set for a DJ.
To me that difference is one of dedication and time. It used to mean that you 1) have enough musical sense to know when and how to beatmatch and 2) sufficient dexterity to beatmatch in the short time that might be given to you when one track blends into another - hard if the lead times are short.

I'll gladly admit that I'm using the sync button though - I'm not trying to kid anyone into thinking that I've got important things to do like Jeff Mills. To me a mix is 3/4ths letting people have a good time and 1/4ths "look at how clever I am that I mixed this with that, you didn't expect these to go together, huh?"

To me there's no cheating in music - only lying. If you're using pre-recorded sets and mimic the moves and act real busy, you're lying to the audience, and if they don't care about that - you're lying to yourself.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Is that vid a commercial for some product? It is insufferable - couldn't get past 11 seconds... I assume there is a 'buy this' bit at the end - if not, holy garbage.

Real question - doesn't the D in dj stand for something (yes I actually know the answer). No more disc-i-poos... It has become a ceremonial title - should be replaced by Poseur or FistPumper - I have better ones but they'd just get censored here.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

It's not DJing anymore, it's basically using production tools on the fly. None of these people would know what to do when put behind a pair of Technics decks LOL

I have nothing against making things more fun, but things like sync buttons, laptops, controllers, software...not for me
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The way I see it, you can play a DJ set with two turntables or two octatracks, or two whatever man. There is no one right way to do it. If the audience is enjoying themselves, you win, simples. Enough with the DJing rig 1-upping already. Its not like that many people do anything ambitious with their SL1200’s either, its just pitch riding.. yawn. At least turntablists use their vinyl decks for something not easily replaced by a lowly sync button.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Can someone post a DJ set that makes use of all these gizmos? Or an exceptional Ableton set?

2 turntables and mixer FTW. Add another table, one shot sampler, an effect or two if you want to go crazy.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Morley View Post
It's not DJing anymore, it's basically using production tools on the fly. None of these people would know what to do when put behind a pair of Technics decks LOL

I have nothing against making things more fun, but things like sync buttons, laptops, controllers, software...not for me
I can relate to this. I see a lot of DJ sets falling between a DJ set and production on the fly, without doing either of these things well.

Tech has lowered the entry requirements to call yourself a DJ and go and play gigs. The tech can make you sound like a DJ but it soon becomes apparent that many of these people lack basic skills in set building and transitioning through tracks that compliment each other.

When I started out on 1210s I got a few records, all of them bangers, and wondered why they didn't sound good mixed together. By the time I got confident enough in my mixing to play out to an audience I also learned about building sets and how to transition from what I'm playing now to where I want to go in a few tracks times and keep it interesting throughout. I didn't intentionally set out to learn this, as such, but picked it up gradually as I got more experience and my knowledge of music improved.

I've nothing against people using tech, I sometimes use sync so that I can mix with 3 or 4 tracks without the pain of doing this with vinyl, or if I'm wasted. The most important thing is what music is played in what order. What I don't like is when new DJs who care about their craft are missing out on gigs to those with laptops and large social media networks who just want to look cool.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

For me, the best technological advance in DJing is quantized looping. It just opens up so many possibilities from such a simple feature.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddoggie View Post
Real question - doesn't the D in dj stand for something (yes I actually know the answer).
Drink-salesperson.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

In the end its all about programming the right records in the right order for your specific audience. I'm talking about DJ'ing here, not turntablism or (semi) live acts. What tech changes is A) easier access to a bigger collection of music and B) more options (fx, looping) to make nice(r) sounding transitions for a smoother experience (if thats needed). That's basically it, nothing more, nothing less.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

One of the biggest regrets of my life was selling my Technic 1210's. I sold them 13 years ago for a pittance to some pawn shop, I was skint.

I've now started collecting vinyl again, and I looked at buying the new 1210's, they are about $1600 for just one turntable.

I'm still considering buying a pair because I feel they are for life this time, and for me, turntables have to be Technics, but really, it's hard to swallow when I know that money could buy a couple of new Synths.

I am looking at possibly some second hand 1210's....

Anyway, I want to get into mixing again. I tried Traktor S4 and yes it does the job, but I found it soulless and boring just mixing digital tracks on a controller. There is nothing to it. SO now I am collecting vinyl, selectively for tracks I really like, I want more vinyl around for sampling and for the tactile feel of it. Vinyl will always be special.

MY dreams set up would be a pair of 1210's, two XDJs and a mixer, but wow that would cost about $7000.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primativ View Post
One of the biggest regrets of my life was selling my Technic 1210's. I sold them 13 years ago for a pittance to some pawn shop, I was skint.

I've now started collecting vinyl again, and I looked at buying the new 1210's, they are about $1600 for just one turntable.

I'm still considering buying a pair because I feel they are for life this time, and for me, turntables have to be Technics, but really, it's hard to swallow when I know that money could buy a couple of new Synths.

Anyway, I want to get into mixing again. I tried Traktor S4 and yes it does the job, but I found it soulless and boring just mixing digital tracks on a controller. There is nothing to it. SO now I am collecting vinyl, selectively for tracks I really like, I want more vinyl around for sampling and for the tactile feel of it. Vinyl will always be special.

MY dreams set up would be a pair of 1210's, two XDJs and a mixer, but wow that would cost about $7000.
What's wrong with good 'Technics' styled - Reeloop RP-7000 decks, look the part and perform just as well, mine are silver.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Djing used to be an art, not only did you need the technical abilities to a high standard but also being able to read a crowd and know your music. These days people calling themselves DJs throw some lame tracks together on a laptop and hit the start button whilst jumping up and down as if they're the second coming.....Lucky enough there are still real DJs who work their ass off honing their skills and have the ability to take the crowd on a magical journey.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Complicated digital setups seem to be a vehicle for playing VERY BORING MUSIC.
'On the fly remixing' = adding a crappy snare roll or white noise build.
'On the fly edits' = looping the end of a track as you mix it out.

I don't really care what you use, just play good tracks, in an interesting order AND take an occasional risk.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primativ View Post

Sad story, like many out there you sold and now you return. Been down the road where stuff had to go so I know your pain, I had to let a criminal amount of stuff out of my door and fast so I didn't get much but the technics stayed. Search out some second hand if you can't buy new, you know it makes sense and they are bulletproof

I hear you on the money that could be spent on synths but look at it this way, you'll very likely not outlive your turntables , upkeep is basically nought over time putting aside needles and you won't (I personally know no DJ who does gas for decks) keep wanting newer and newer turntables every other year when a new model comes out from them across the road. In fact I remember when vestax, pioneer, serato bla bla all started making bigger and bigger waves but instead of gassing it just made me love my golds all the more.

Technics til I die
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

I like the classic setup together with timecode vinyls...you can do all the cool dj tricks. not just pushing buttons...

YouTube
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
Sad story, like many out there you sold and now you return. Been down the road where stuff had to go so I know your pain, I had to let a criminal amount of stuff out of my door and fast so I didn't get much but the technics stayed. Search out some second hand if you can't buy new, you know it makes sense and they are bulletproof

I hear you on the money that could be spent on synths but look at it this way, you'll very likely not outlive your turntables , upkeep is basically nought over time putting aside needles and you won't (I personally know no DJ who does gas for decks) keep wanting newer and newer turntables every other year when a new model comes out from them across the road. In fact I remember when vestax, pioneer, serato bla bla all started making bigger and bigger waves but instead of gassing it just made me love my golds all the more.

Technics til I die
Yep agree. I'll never have to upgrade again and will have countless hours of mixing whenever I want. Also, I have numerous synths in software and hardware form but I have no way of mixing my vinyl records...

I think I will take the plunge, bit of saving to do first though.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakmixer View Post
What's wrong with good 'Technics' styled - Reeloop RP-7000 decks, look the part and perform just as well, mine are silver.
Thanks, just checked them out. Look good and have great reviews, will definitely keep them in mind as a more affordable option!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

If you can't walk up to a pair of 1200s and a Mixer and get down with a crate of Vinyl, you ought not call yourself a DJ. Don't even get me started regarding TempoSync...

I don't mind digital mixing, I'm quite adept with Traktor and a Numark NS6, and such tools have their place, but they're no substitute for the real thing and never will be.

90% of today's "DJs" aren't. They're "playlist makers", and button mashers, channeling their best Nick and Nora or High Fidelity alternate storyline.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Not impressed with digital "DJs". Spinning vinyl rules.

Those digital setups were made for hand wavers.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakmixer View Post
It’s day and night when compared to the SL-1200. Reloops have their flaws. For example, they are much more sensitive to vibration, it’s more difficult to beat match than with Technics and overall feel is rather cheap. I’ve played with Reloop turntables this summer, but I don’t remember if the model was the one you mentioned.

It’s just not the same thing as Technics decks, by far.

Andrejs
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post

Wouldn't dare - the people doing everything on their smartphone will probably call anyone a dinosaur who still drags an entire laptop to a gig

i think this is transferable to music production.

depending on how you do it of course. i still match vox and loops by ear with samplers.

a bit like a dinosaur.

but on a plus side you sometimes get those happy little accidents being slightly off can swing your groove a bit.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by locojohn View Post
It’s day and night when compared to the SL-1200. Reloops have their flaws. For example, they are much more sensitive to vibration, it’s more difficult to beat match than with Technics and overall feel is rather cheap. I’ve played with Reloop turntables this summer, but I don’t remember if the model was the one you mentioned.

It’s just not the same thing as Technics decks, by far.

Andrejs
ERM, you can't remember if its the same model? Well considering the models vary so much in quality and I'm only recommending RP-7000 models. I also owned in the past 1989-1993 SL1200s, the Reloop RP7000 can't beatmatch with them???? I could upload mixes I've done on these decks that are beatmatched fine?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search