The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Yamaha MODX
Old 10th September 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

Enough people mention the montage / modx UI that I guess it is not an unusual response, but I find it easy in most cases tbh.

If I want an FM or awm init tone I just go category / init and choose whichever I want.

Live sets do exactly what I need them to do, and the ability to add short notes is a nice additional feature.

The fact that performances are self-contained avoids the protracted debate on the fantom thread(!)

I also have a Forte7 - now that has a challenging UI that I don't enjoy using in depth, and I forget how to do things if I haven't programmed anything recently. In comparison I find the modx UI quick and refreshing to use.
Old 12th September 2020
Gear Maniac

Is anyone sequencing full songs with the MODX?

How are you doing it?

Can anyone explain the relationship between the pattern sequencer and the performance sequencer.

Are they basically two different modes?
Old 23rd September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatever View Post

How are you doing it?

Can anyone explain the relationship between the pattern sequencer and the performance sequencer.

I'd be interested to see this too - I think the MODX has the best tone of any modern digital synth ; better even than the Montage, despite being cheaper - so I'd be very interested to see how it can be used as a fully stand-alone instrument.
Old 23rd September 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendell r. View Post
I'd be interested to see this too - I think the MODX has the best tone of any modern digital synth ; better even than the Montage, despite being cheaper - so I'd be very interested to see how it can be used as a fully stand-alone instrument.
I've done a couple of sketches on it. Nothing I'd share lmao.

It's fun at times, but it's a bit cumbersome to really work on the sequencer. If I spent much more time with it, I'd be better at creating solely on the MODX, but I also have Cubasr and Maschine Studio, and, well... it's not even close.

Granted, that's obvious. I don't expect MODX to compete with those sequencers. It's just that it's exponentially faster for me to do my primary work with those tools, in great part due to significantly longer experience with them.

The scene structure works fairly well once you get used to it. I'm guessing the next update will give us something more robust.

The "get/put phrase" setup is awfully clunky, for example, IMO. Not a particularly well implemented cut and paste feature.

But with a few reps it gets easier, and MODX connect is an excellent feature. All in all I'd say it's absolutely useable for full tracks, but it's not one that allows you to "fly" quickly.
Old 10th October 2020
Lives for gear

New samples

New! The BC X Boutique Synthesizer Sample Pack contains 30 multi samples of the Black Corporation Xerxes synthesizer. The samples are 4 velocity layered mapped, 4 notes apart, over a 76 note range. There are both looped and single shot examples included. Deep sampling is at a high level here. All capturing this unique sounding synthesizer with over 2200 samples included.
Download these at TJontheRoad.com

Old 11th October 2020
Gear Maniac

Has anyone else noticed that when you’re in recording mode in the sequencer and you’re sequencing an external device, you cannot go into edit to change the patch while the sequencer is playing?

I have to stop the sequencer. Press the little edit tab on the patch name to bring up the edit option on the left in order to get to the zone area.
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Ambient Track.

using MODX preset
S.FX/SciFi/Robot Junkyard
and my preset

Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

I’ve noticed all of my patterns are locked to a specific performance.

I can’t unlink them.

There’s gotta be a way.

Does anyone know how to?
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Quote:
I’ve noticed all of my patterns are locked to a specific performance.

I can’t unlink them.

There’s gotta be a way.

Does anyone know how to?
From the August 2019 issue of the Music Production Guide:

Quote:
AUTO CONNECT
With the Pattern Sequencer comes an optimisation that also affects the Song area. The connection between a Song and a Performance was previously made on the „Play/Rec“ screen using the „Store Song & Perf Settings“ button and always had to be done manually. The Update brings a considerable improvement in this workflow.

The „Play/Rec“ screen is accessible in three ways:
• Performance Home > „Play/Rec“ (1)
• [PLAY] (hardware button) (2)
• [RECORD] (hardware button) (3) #4

In each of the three cases, the same screen will appear after the instrument is restarted in the new Pattern Mode. Otherwise, depending on the last selected Mode, MIDI (Song), Audio, or Pattern.

The first and second of the above actions enter Play Mode, while the [RECORD] button immediately arms the Record Mode and provides special recording settings. If an empty Pattern is selected in Play Mode, the Store Pattern & Perf Settings button will also appear.

This could be used to link the currently loaded Performance, which is shown at the top right (highlighted in black), to an empty Pattern.

A new symbol indicates that there is still no connection between the Pattern and the Performance. #5

However, as soon as a recording is made, the connection is established automatically. The symbol changes and signals the link, the button „Store Pattern & Perf Settings“ is no longer displayed. #6

This makes sense, because as a rule it is a certain Performance with its contained Parts that is the basis for exactly this recording. If an existing recording is to be combined with another Performance, the desired Performance must be selected first. After switching to Play Mode, the Performance can then be linked to any available Pattern. This also applies to Songs.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Just subscribing to this thread, I bought a Modx6 a few weeks ago.
Super impressed with this synth, I’m amazed with how much it can do.
I’m currently spending a lot of time filling it with nice samples.

Speaking of which, if you have the John Melas Waveform Editor, it has just been updated to accept Akai XPM files.
The nice bonus is, you can download the free MPC Beats app which has an Autosampler. Sample vsts or hardware and save as an XPM file, then load it directly into the editor.
Saves heaps of time if your into multi sampling instruments (with layering too).
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrightSide View Post
Just subscribing to this thread, I bought a Modx6 a few weeks ago.
Super impressed with this synth, I’m amazed with how much it can do.
I’m currently spending a lot of time filling it with nice samples.

Speaking of which, if you have the John Melas Waveform Editor, it has just been updated to accept Akai XPM files.
The nice bonus is, you can download the free MPC Beats app which has an Autosampler. Sample vsts or hardware and save as an XPM file, then load it directly into the editor.
Saves heaps of time if your into multi sampling instruments (with layering too).
Good to hear 2.1 is out.

It's only right to credit / thank Scott McDiarmid for his vision and work with John to make that integration happen and open up the Akai avenue for us.
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:

How are you doing it?

Full songs is a strong word, but definitely capturing a lot of ideas. It's still a limited feature set on the workstation front. The fact that you can now keep the sequencer running while adding new patches (tracks) into the performance to me was a big boost and something that I was very accustomed to with my MOFX - which still beats the MODX on sequencing. It's very quick to lay down your keys part, then pick a drum sound, add that, lay down the beat, pick a bass, lay that down, etc, and save that into Scene 1 and then work on your next section in Scene 2 etc. You can definitely get a very nice song idea worked out this way - and fast.

The performance sequencer is much more of a simple recorder. There are workarounds to lay down "overdubs" with it but it's not meant for that. I honestly haven't used the performance sequencer since the pattern seq came along.

I keep my laptop on top of the MODX and have a template set up in my DAW so that when I load up Ableton it opens up with 8 tracks of MIDI which use MODX as the sound source - so I can record midi into those tracks and it'll play the sounds on slots 1 through 8 of the MODX performance. I then can add VST synths and audio samples etc within Ableton to do fuller sketches and songs. That's the best way to work for me as the editing of MIDI is easy, and the ability to use audio sample (including guitar/bass/mic plugged into the MODX inputs which sound great).
📝 Reply