The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Behringer RD-909 Rhythm Designer Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 9th September 2018
Gear Head
Behringer RD-909 Rhythm Designer

i just leave this here
Behringer - Here's a sneaky preview of the RD-909... | Facebook
Old 9th September 2018
Gear Head
here is a Picture
Attached Thumbnails
Behringer RD-909 Rhythm Designer-0db8c433-484f-4f94-b084-43ea66c32889.jpg  
Old 9th September 2018
Gear Nut
I want it now!!!
Old 9th September 2018
Gear Head

Remember the "RD-808 Prototype Jam" video that ended with

S E E
Y O U
9 / 9

?

We all knew this was coming right?

Looks like the Behringer guys in Manchester are considering some additional features over and above the machine that inspired this prototype. Tune on Hi-Hat I can see as good, along with a drive control in the bass drum section. Not sure about "pitch" on bass drum seeing as it has a "tune" control... Looks interesting...
Old 9th September 2018
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecanek View Post
I want it now!!!
get this clone from Roland - they go cheap on eBay
Old 9th September 2018
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by koochey View Post
get this clone from Roland - they go cheap on eBay
Meh. Too small, no separate outputs, not really interested.

I love the Behringer Model D. If the RD-909 is in the same league, I’m one happy dude.
Old 9th September 2018
Lives for gear

Awesome!!! I know the market is saturated with 303 clones, but I’d love to see Behringers take on one. Bet I’m not alone. (Uli, take note :-) )

The Barry 808, 909 and 101 are all preorders for me. I’d happily add a 303 and 606 to that mix, in spite of having the tt versions already.
Old 9th September 2018
Deleted 46dc28f
Oh snap!

Hey, Uli

Old 9th September 2018
Lives for gear

What are the Black select buttons for like on clap/rim. I hope you can use both sounds at the same time?
Old 9th September 2018
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakmixer View Post
What are the Black select buttons for like on clap/rim. I hope you can use both sounds at the same time?
Probably to select which one you want to sequence in the stepsequencer
Old 9th September 2018
Gear Addict

I wish they followed the original design a bit more closely. For me that's half the charm of the TR-09. Looks like the RD-808 is closer to the original 808 design too.
Old 9th September 2018
Now we need a

S E E
Y O U
3 / 3
Old 9th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecanek View Post
Probably to select which one you want to sequence in the stepsequencer
If you zoom in the are only 3 additional black selects, I'm thinking its more for trigger. There are white selects on all sounds, wondering why not a regular layout and why clap/rim are bundled together with this black select, hats are the same + cymbal/crash.

Edit: got it, yes because they bundled them on same area it is for the sequencing, why black though, they are above and below the wording anyway.

Last edited by breakmixer; 9th September 2018 at 11:00 AM.. Reason: I'm a numpty
Old 9th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrobiscuit View Post
I wish they followed the original design a bit more closely. For me that's half the charm of the TR-09. Looks like the RD-808 is closer to the original 808 design too.
I actually feel the other way around, I like its look, will pair nice with my Yocto 808.
Old 9th September 2018
Lives for gear

Will they be able to use the sampled sounds?
Or can they get around that by just having either a very similar sound or maybe even user changeable sounds (so the end user can load up the original 909 EEPROM samples)?
Old 9th September 2018
Lives for gear

Numpty question 2, the added sharpie pen of pitch, the kick already has tune, pitch and tune are same thing, no - or am I being dumb?
Old 9th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtFluids View Post
Will they be able to use the sampled sounds?
Or can they get around that by just having either a very similar sound or maybe even user changeable sounds (so the end user can load up the original 909 EEPROM samples)?
Good question, I'd like to know also...
Old 9th September 2018
Lives for gear

Might be amount of pitch envelope
Old 9th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Good question, I'd like to know also...
Perhaps if the 909 samples have been present in many OTHER commercial products (Romplers, Workstations, Electribes/Grooveboxes, plugins, etc,) for so many years then they'd have a hard time making a legal case for it. Behringer would have no end of examples of times they DIDN'T seek legal action, and that doesn't look very good for your copyright.

Then again they successfully got Propellerhead to stop selling Rebirth on the app store, but that might have just been intimidation with a cease and desist (a cease and desist doesn't even mean the defendant actually did anything wrong, it's an inexpensive intimidation/bullying tactic). I would guess Propellerhead caved in because they just didn't care so much about Rebirth anymore. They probably figured it wasn't worth the legal fees to defend it even though they might have easily won that lawsuit and might have been able to keep selling Rebirth.

There's no end of supposedly legally distributed sample packs, plugins (Revolution) with 909 samples in them. Roland might have to prove that they made consistent effort to defend their copyright and is not cherry picking.

As far as I know, and I'm no lawyer, this doesn't automatically mean Roland couldn't successfully win such a case, but it might be very difficult.
Old 9th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Perhaps if the 909 samples have been present in many OTHER commercial products (Romplers, Workstations, Electribes/Grooveboxes, plugins, etc,) for so many years then they'd have a hard time making a legal case for it. Behringer would have no end of examples of times they DIDN'T seek legal action, and that doesn't look very good for your copyright.

Then again they successfully got Propellerhead to stop selling Rebirth on the app store, but that might have just been intimidation with a cease and desist (a cease and desist doesn't even mean the defendant actually did anything wrong, it's an inexpensive intimidation/bullying tactic). I would guess Propellerhead caved in because they just didn't care so much about Rebirth anymore. They probably figured it wasn't worth the legal fees to defend it even though they might have easily won that lawsuit and might have been able to keep selling Rebirth.

There's no end of supposedly legally distributed sample packs, plugins (Revolution) with 909 samples in them. Roland might have to prove that they made consistent effort to defend their copyright and is not cherry picking.

As far as I know, and I'm no lawyer, this doesn't automatically mean Roland couldn't successfully win such a case, but it might be very difficult.
Would be nice to find out what they use. They could go the whole hog and find exactly the same cymbal and record it from scratch. Roland already revealed what they used in the TR-8 commercials to create the samples.
Old 9th September 2018
Lives for gear

Having spent my early 20's in the 1990's, the 909 sound is my ideal drum machine as it was all over the music i was into. Hoping this lives up to expectation.
Old 9th September 2018
Lives for gear

Looks promising but what's with the half retro half rhythm wolf -look?

Well, as long as they get the kick and OH right, I'll buy it.
Old 9th September 2018
Deleted 46dc28f
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ossicle View Post
Looks promising but what's with the half retro half rhythm wolf -look?.
It's those damn ubiquitous squishy buttons. If they swapped those out for the NI Komplete Kontrol MK2 style buttons, where everything is opaque but the text, it would be an improvement.
Old 9th September 2018
Gear Maniac
They bless.
Old 9th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Numpty question 2, the added sharpie pen of pitch, the kick already has tune, pitch and tune are same thing, no - or am I being dumb?
Tune on the 909 changes from a soft kick to a hard kick -remains the same pitch
Old 9th September 2018
Deleted 46dc28f
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtohaveajuno View Post
Tune on the 909 changes from a soft kick to a hard kick -remains the same pitch
Pitch control with MIDI support would be dope.
Old 9th September 2018
Gear Maniac
If the sequencer can remember pitch/amplitude/EQ changes I'll die.
Old 9th September 2018
Lives for gear

Random and Probablility buttons !!

Should be on every drum machine
Old 9th September 2018
M32
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt pinchin View Post
Might be amount of pitch envelope
yeah, the Jomox xbase has this and it makes the kick sound super versatile
that is def. a +1
Old 9th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

Also don't forget Roland has a very very long history of using other companies samples in their own products. The Roms from the JV line that Eric Pershing did were full of Yamaha, Korg, Mellotron, Moog, Fairlight etc and they did nothing to hide it and actively promoted it in marketing

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search