The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Behringer RD-909 Rhythm Designer Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 8th February 2019
Deleted 46dc28f
Quote:
Originally Posted by haze015 View Post
They haven't gone after Behringer though. So any hate is unfounded.
This:

Quote:
Originally Posted by haze015 View Post
Again, Roland & Behringer have been through this already with Behringer's clones of Boss pedals.
Old 8th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 46dc28f View Post
This:
And Behringer changed the appearance of the pedals and continued to sell them. If Behringer wasn't in breach of anything, why would they have bothered?
Also Uli described them as reaching an amicable conclusion in that matter.

But Roland haven't gone after Behringer over these clones, they've just applied for a couple of trademarks in Germany. Its not a cease & desist for IP infringement.
Old 8th February 2019
Lives for gear

Old 8th February 2019
Gear Guru

I'd imagine jumping into the synth market is quite a good move for Behringer, financially and commercially, it brings them a lot of attention/free publicity which often translates into an upwards curve on the sales graphs, all sales mind you that could have been generated by any of the pre existing big synth brands. Sometimes it feels like those big brands don't know what to put into the market, so many fails have dropped it's bizarre. It goes to show that if you interact with your customers at their level, you can generate a lot of interest which will turn into sales.
Old 8th February 2019
DGL
Gear Addict
I could conceivably see that if Roland did try to go after Behringer/Music then Uli's reply would be to say to Roland "name your price as we would like to acquire
the Roland Corporation", even better if Uli then reaches into his pocket and pulls out a bunch of notes saying "is this about enough?".
I could see the boutiques being rehashed as controllers/dongles for the cloud plugins (that would become non-cloud products) ala the TC controllers with actual remakes of the vintage products that the boutiques emulate in full size.
Old 8th February 2019
Gear Guru

Roland are losing money by making things in limited numbers. The only thing that does, is drive up the prices on the second hand market, that doesn't benefit them one iota. People are always going to be coming into the scene looking to buy equipment, why make things in limited numbers...? there is still a large demand for the boutiques, particularly the tb 03 and jupiter juno models.. where are the JDXA's gone, same thing.. but you can still buy a GAIA or Juno Di ..
Old 8th February 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
yeah, really tired of that ****. like a bunch of kids on a playground, some juvenile herd machismo. none of these Roland crybabies would be able to tell that any of the Aira stuff are just mediocre digital copies compared to an analog clone if someone didn't tell them. i think we'll see that the SH-01A is a more "true" SH-101 experience than the new Behringer. digital copy or not.

it's not like Roland has been pushing out just another sample-based "MC-xxx Groovebox" these past few years. they've been on quite a roll, and the only people complaining about them come off as religious nutjobs.
LOL You must be on the payroll at Roland for making this rather funny statement...I'm tired of people telling me what I can and can't hear, what I should or should not like blah blah blah

Truth is, a lot of people don't want digital replicas looking like kids toys and have made that clear to representatives from Roland on more than one occasion. So I for one am very happy Behringer is willing to give us what we want and I will with great pleasure get them as soon as available.

Old 9th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
I'd imagine jumping into the synth market is quite a good move for Behringer, financially and commercially, it brings them a lot of attention/free publicity which often translates into an upwards curve on the sales graphs, all sales mind you that could have been generated by any of the pre existing big synth brands. Sometimes it feels like those big brands don't know what to put into the market, so many fails have dropped it's bizarre. It goes to show that if you interact with your customers at their level, you can generate a lot of interest which will turn into sales.
Customer input and influence will be a big thing in the future, and is the future of consumer goods. Now that people have easy access to be vocal about products and markets, they are basically able to directly communicate what they want, then said company makes that and makes the customer more happy, while boosting sales. Some companies will catch on, some will wait too long and fail because of it. The reason Behringer, as well as Tesla are doing this so early is because the company isnt ran by the bean counters, its ran by the head honcho himself. So he can run it how he sees fit, and will listen to the people and implement requested features. There has been such a feeling of sepration in the past of corporation and people....now in this future we are all intertwined.
Old 11th February 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman_s Gold View Post
Hi, could you confirm the behaviour of the Total Accent track?

There isn't button to select the accent track (like on the RD-808), nor an Enter/Total Accent button
Back on topic - we still haven't had an answer to this question. Would love it if anyone with info or input into the design could chime in here.
Old 12th February 2019
Gear Head

YouTube

Best demo so far
Old 12th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
Roland are losing money by making things in limited numbers. The only thing that does, is drive up the prices on the second hand market, that doesn't benefit them one iota. People are always going to be coming into the scene looking to buy equipment, why make things in limited numbers...? there is still a large demand for the boutiques, particularly the tb 03 and jupiter juno models.. where are the JDXA's gone, same thing.. but you can still buy a GAIA or Juno Di ..
The Japanese economy is wrecked, they probably just don't have what it takes to ramp up the production. They probably make more money off other gear and cannot afford to take any risks.
Old 12th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klankdroid View Post
YouTube

Best demo so far
Absolutely nailed those hi hats
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klankdroid View Post
YouTube

Best demo so far
How the absolute hell did I miss the RD909!? The laat time I clapped eyes on the RD it was a 3D printed model from last year.

Also what the bloody hell is the point of that video? Who thought putting that on YouTube was a good idea?
Old 4 weeks ago
Well.... looks cool
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The only way Roland can now save themselves is to reissue the Jupiter-8.

Yes it can be physically smaller (with full size keys!) but it can also have discrete VCO's etc. and it can be made sound enough like the original. With the ACB boutiques their team has really done miracles to make digital modelling sound reasonably close to the original analogues - even though they still sound digital - so it shouldn't be a problem for them to make an analogue reissue of the Jupiter sound like the original. Oberheim SEM is a good example how it can be done. I guess the Boog too, although I've never compared it to the original.

But I don't think Roland will do it. Why would they suddenly realise what is best for them.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I wouldn't say that investing in the manufacturing to reproduce the Jupiter 8 (6. 4 or the old Junos) is in their best interest as it would cost them a lot to cover a very niche market.

They would be better placed to collaborate with someone to do this as they have with the System 500 and SE-02 to produce something 'like' the Jupiters etc.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by the donal View Post
I wouldn't say that investing in the manufacturing to reproduce the Jupiter 8 (6. 4 or the old Junos) is in their best interest as it would cost them a lot to cover a very niche market.

They would be better placed to collaborate with someone to do this as they have with the System 500 and SE-02 to produce something 'like' the Jupiters etc.
niche but large market....not workstation large, but large enough
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
i think we'll see that the SH-01A is a more "true" SH-101 experience than the new Behringer..

You think. I don't. Even if the BH-101 does not have 100% the same sound, it can be used by adults with adult sized hands and the faders are not toy sized "faders". Rolands' boutiques are like toy car models.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by the donal View Post

There is more to it than short term profit but I bet they'd even make that.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebodyperson View Post
niche but large market....not workstation large, but large enough

“Niche but large”

Yeah I don’t think those words are meant to go together.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pewtershmit View Post
“Niche but large”

Yeah I don’t think those words are meant to go together.
Think about it this way. Basket weavers could be a niche profession....but still there are thousands of basket weavers around the world....so even though its a small part of the global population, its still a large amount of people.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Even though I have a TR8 and some vintage Roland, I couldn't care less what they will get up to.
I would hedge a bet that what they plan to release in the foreseeable future, I won't be interested in.
Behringer on the other hand....
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

How many individual outs has this got, I'm hoping to use the main out to run the toms into my mixers(which I'll have 2 stereo channels and seven mono channels in addition)?

I can't find an legible images of the rear of the unit that do not blur when blown up, don't know if open/closed hats are via the same output etc or split.
Old 4 weeks ago
I don't think anyone has any idea. All we've seen are non-working prototypes.

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

how do you come to the fact that they do not work ?
Old 4 weeks ago
Because every time they've shown one to someone it didn't work? They've shown it publically at least 2-3 times now, and we haven't seen it turn on yet.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

bad luck for you .. I think they are currently in rosensound or so in the test ... and I hope you know how a 909 sounds .. in the original rather boring.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pppch View Post
I hope you know how a 909 sounds .. in the original rather boring.
Boring is in the eyes of the beholder.
But more important: this is why in addition to the on/off switch... there are in the TR909/TR09 more than two dozen knobs, switches, etc. to sculpt the sound as it should be.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by time_zone View Post
Boring is in the eyes of the beholder.
But more important: this is why in addition to the on/off switch... there are in the TR909/TR09 more than two dozen knobs, switches, etc. to sculpt the sound as it should be.
the rhythm designer will have even more

the 909 at that time 20 years ago was very noisy .. and except the bd not sooo special ..
Prefer the 77 today
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by pppch View Post
the 909 at that time 20 years ago was very noisy .. and except the bd not sooo special ..
my 909 is not noisy, never had an issue with any noise from it in fact. as for the effects behringer had added the RD-909, you could do the same with outboard or a transient designer/filter vst. not all 909's sound the same anyway owing to different revisions.

as for the RD-909, it may sound like 909, but it will never be a real 909.

on a side note: pipe down peter!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search