The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Behringer RD-909 Rhythm Designer Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 14th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by olafmol View Post
i guess the real big test is to have Jeff Mills use one and give his blessing
Mike Banks as well.
Old 18th November 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2c View Post
I sold off my TR08 & TR09 already in anticipation of the upcoming behri's. Dont wait too long if you're planning to be selling them, I have a feeling the ACBs 2ndhand prices will seriously crash once these hit the stores
I really doubt that tbh. The Boutiques will have an appeal for anyone who wants a good sounding and super portable drum machine with that classic vibe, don't see that that will change if this is ever released. Also, I admire your optimism, I'm far from convinced that the RD-909 will be a more authentic sounding 909 emulation than the TR-09 ... although I personally don't think they should even try, just give up on the "clone" BS and give it a bunch more features and parameters, sample upload, etc., and market it as "inspired by" the 909.

I'm also pretty sick of Behringer's "hey everyone wait for this thing we're doing it's going to be amazing and blow away everything else on the market .... but you'll have to just trust us on that because you can't even hear hear a short clip right now" approach. It's easy to announce things, much more difficult to deliver. Maybe they could think about waiting until these boxes are actually close to being a real thing people could buy before the hype train leaves the station.

Anyway, one thing that's just occurred to me is that they might have a bit of an issue with truly "cloning" anything with samples - there's an argument that the raw ppm hat sounds will still be covered by copyright, which persists far longer than any patents on components. A couple of years back Eric Persing successfully got a D-50 sample pack pulled for that reasons: D-50 Sound Designer not Happy with New Sample Pack - MusicPlayer Forums

Of course this can always be "reverse engineered with another similar sample, but then it stops being a "clone" ... which like I say is fine by me if it turns out sounding good and being playable in its own right.
Old 18th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbenway View Post
I really doubt that tbh. The Boutiques will have an appeal for anyone who wants a good sounding and super portable drum machine with that classic vibe, don't see that that will change if this is ever released.
I would agree. And (quite to my surprise) there is something about the TR09 small size which makes using it really appealing, sort of a closeness and intimacy. Same thing with the SH01A.
Old 19th November 2018
Gear Addict

Uli, when is this beast finally hitting manufacturing stage? Oh and some DECENT sound bites please....
Old 19th November 2018
Here for the gear

Take my money
Old 19th November 2018
Gear Addict

We like to give you an update on our RD-909 development. We have now entered TMS or Tool Made Sample stage which is one stage before pre-production.

We've built 10 units for final testing to ensure everything is perfect.

What you cannot see on the current artwork is that we have added even more functionality. One of our engineers came up with a brilliant idea to allow the sequencer to modulate the Analog Filter and Wave Designer.

We still need to ask for your patience as it will still take several more months to ship the product. The guys here are very excited and they work hard to speed up as much as possible!

We're still targeting US$ 299 retail (depending on import tariffs).

Uli
Attached Thumbnails
Behringer RD-909 Rhythm Designer-909-2.jpg   Behringer RD-909 Rhythm Designer-909-3.jpg   Behringer RD-909 Rhythm Designer-909-1.jpg  

Last edited by Uli Behringer; 20th November 2018 at 05:21 AM..
Old 19th November 2018
Lives for gear

The buttons! The buttons! Where are my lovely rubber buttons?! (just kidding!)

Looks fantastic. And $299?! Wow!
Old 19th November 2018
Lives for gear

I see the instrument knobs are now larger, and there are pros and cons to this. Would it be possible to supply a set of small knobs with it that the user can to swap to if they prefer the smaller style like on the original? As an individual, it can be difficult to source knobs that are a good match.

This video of Jeff Millls shows how intensely the knobs and buttons can be played.

Last edited by rockmanrock; 19th November 2018 at 12:19 PM..
Old 19th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli Behringer View Post
We like to give you an update on our RD-909 development. We have now entered TMS or Tool Made Sample stage which is one stage before pre-production.

We have now built 10 units for final testing to ensure everything is perfect.

What you cannot see on the current artwork is that we have added even more functionality. One of our engineers came up with a brilliant idea to allow the sequencer also modulate the Analog Filter and Wave Designer.

We still need to ask for your patience as it will still take several more months to ship the product. The guys here are very excited and work hard to speed up as much as possible!

Uli
Lovely and a fantastic price too.
Old 19th November 2018
Gear Addict

It's looking great, interesting to see the design changes in the buttons. If you hit that price point and it sounds/behaves right, this will be a home run. Guess the behaviours is as important as the sound. Also welcome the extra features...looks like the right balance without altering the clone concept too much.
Old 19th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

What you cannot see on the current artwork is that we have added even more functionality. One of our engineers came up with a brilliant idea to allow the sequencer also modulate the Analog Filter and Wave Designer.

We still need to ask for your patience as it will still take several more months to ship the product. The guys here are very excited and work hard to speed up as much as possible!

Uli
299 bloody hell , great news. I am glad to see some parameter locking on the filter and shaper/comp, I hope they have also figured out standard voice parameter (pitch, amp, decay) recording per step too?
Old 19th November 2018
Lives for gear

wow my first two official drum machines in 2019,
had times before 20 years a 909 dind of the worst noise was not so intoxicating
have neglected thereafter, since I am not ready to pay these moon prices
Old 19th November 2018
Gear Head
I love the way it looks.

Knobs are very close together, though I guess there's simply no space to put them further apart without making the thing bigger which would increase costs.
Old 19th November 2018
Gear Addict
Color me surprised, those look way better than the old prototypes.

Only 300 US is impressive. I'm interested in seeing how the sequencer works out.
Old 19th November 2018
Gear Head

killer - very happy about the buttons

analog clock in/out? interesting
Old 19th November 2018
Lives for gear

These look great. Really nice step buttons. I think it’s important that they aren’t a rubber pad. Those pads last a while but that mc style button is just so right for this machine.

All the added functionality is incredible imo.
Old 19th November 2018
Lives for gear

is the RD-808 falling behind the RD-909 then?

I want to get both, but it seems like the 909 is progressing faster
Old 19th November 2018
Lives for gear

I don't even want one, but that is impressive.
Old 19th November 2018
DGL
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtFluids View Post

Not really, 808 is past the tool made/production sample points and is ready for full production. The 909 still has to have production samples made before full production can commence.
Old 19th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGL View Post
Not really, 808 is past the tool made/production sample points and is ready for full production. The 909 still has to have production samples made before full production can commence.
That's good to hear. I wonder if they'll be ready to buy around the same time.
Old 19th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock View Post

This video of Jeff Millls shows how intensely the knobs and buttons can be played.
Most of those movements he's making do nothing more than create an illusion to fool those who don't know how these machines work. You really do not need to twitch like that to do what he's doing there.

The use of cheapo silicone buttons on clones of these classic machines shows that Behringer has no respect for the originals or the interest to make a proper clone. Just cheap stuff for the masses- who never knew anything other than silicone buttons in a world of crapware!
Old 19th November 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtFluids View Post

The 909 has not even made one sound yet. But it looks great!

I wonder if any of the suggestions/additions that were performed to the 909 were done to the 808?
Old 19th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebase DMX View Post
Most of those movements he's making do nothing more than create an illusion to fool those who don't know how these machines work. You really do not need to twitch like that to do what he's doing there.

The use of cheapo silicone buttons on clones of these classic machines shows that Behringer has no respect for the originals or the interest to make a proper clone. Just cheap stuff for the masses- who never knew anything other than silicone buttons in a world of crapware!
I agree with the first paragraph. I fully disagree with the second one: your equating silicone knobs with lack of interest or respect for the OG is pretty odd.

In any case, that shouldn't prevent you to drop $4,000 for a used TR909 (without silicone knobs).
Old 19th November 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebase DMX View Post
I don't think he's trying to fool anyone, I think that's just how the man moves.

I find it more impressive actually that he's crouched down for so long. Just doesn't look comfortable.
Old 19th November 2018
Deleted 46dc28f
Quote:

Uli
Old 19th November 2018
Lives for gear
Kin ell 299. Makes Roland post-mc303 look beyond ridiculous
Old 20th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock View Post
I see the instrument knobs are now larger, and there are pros and cons to this. Would it be possible to supply a set of small knobs with it that the user can to swap to if they prefer the smaller style like on the original? As an individual, it can be difficult to source knobs that are a good match.

Nice video, but big knobs better!
Old 20th November 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:

Uli
Now you got us all excited....any sound bites of this beautiful looking machine??
Old 20th November 2018
Lives for gear

In all seriousness I still have to ask how much long term durability will $299 get you ?
I'd be asking myself the same thing regardless of manufacturer especially with all those encoders, contacts and outputs.
Old 20th November 2018
Gear Nut

I don't want to be the partypooper here, but I do think those buttons are still rubber, only bigger... just saying....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search